Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
What's the best way to break up with a lady when she hasn't done anything out of sorts but you're just not feeling it? —x

Dear X,

This is a tough one. On one hand, you don’t want to be a jerk and dump someone just because you’re not feeling it anymore. But on the other hand, you don’t want to like, set her up for a lifetime of disappointment. To be honest, I think I’d rather just shoot myself in the head than break up with a girl in person. I mean, they’re always so pretty and smart and honest and fun, and you know that life could be awesome with them once the timing is better, but you just CAN’T make things work right then. The timing is never right. Never. Never. Never. Never. It’s not going to be right for a looooooong time.

Aw, hell. I’m sorry, lady.

Howdy, ladies. You all make me want to break up with a girl. You all make me want to...toss my cookies in the garbage. You all make me feel like I’m sitting in a movie theatre which is on fire. You all make me feel like I’m in a boat which is taking on water and is about to sink. You all make me wish I was in a room with a veal calf. You all...I am going to turn off my computer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
10 cents per AI Ray seems like highway robbery, hope it doesn't just absorb all the Patreon money by magic

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mutantIke posted:

10 cents per AI Ray seems like highway robbery, hope it doesn't just absorb all the Patreon money by magic

Large language model chatbots are absurdly expensive to run. It's like bitcoin but mildly useful in certain situations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mutantIke posted:

Jesus Christ!!

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'm not sure how it's profitable either. Definitely cool, but would be a questionable business decision even without the whole stigma around AI

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I am ready to cede all major life decisions and power of attorney to the robot cat in a thong.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

boy this AI poo poo sure is a loving bummer

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Someone punched in WHAT'S THE BEST THING YOU GOT and it couldn't come up with anything sufficiently Ray.

Shameful.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm not even talking about the content of the lovely quote machine, i refuse to touch it. i was excited about new achewood but if this is how it's going down i'm right back out

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Did you read the Verge article? Onstad's using a chatbot to help him get into the voice of his characters, but he's still the creative force behind the comic. I think that's entirely reasonable.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Did you read the Verge article? Onstad's using a chatbot to help him get into the voice of his characters, but he's still the creative force behind the comic. I think that's entirely reasonable.

i did and it's not as bad as most chatbot garbage but it's still leaning on it and it big sucks

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

kidcoelacanth posted:

yeah it’s weird to me that someone so good at putting the right words together finds any value in it

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

if onstad needs to drop 40 grand on silicon valley smarterchild to tell him what the sad cat should say then i really don't feel great about handing over 9 bucks a month to reward that stellar business acumen

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

he’s not writing the new stuff with AI, it would be incredibly obvious and I can tell it’s him, but it’s still kind of disappointing he’a indulging it at all

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i am aware of the scenario. i'm frankly more disappointed he's falling for the grift than anything about the way he's using it

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

falling for the grift

There's a big difference between "I've found a niche application that works for me" and "I'm going to rub this magical AI ointment on every business process and see what sticks because some twitter user told me to".

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Safety Dance posted:

Onstad's using a chatbot to help him get into the voice of his characters

Amazing how a single sentence can remove any hope I might have had for the new comics.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/notabigjerk/status/1655689266704285698?s=46&t=GLzHWCQJoexnfq_0wC2Egw

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Escobarbarian posted:

https://twitter.com/achewood/status/1655627707072528384?s=46&t=JsbrXZLeMaksMidW9RvL9A

Learning that there was an Achewood animated series at Netflix with Onstad and Pen Ward at the helm that got cancelled is the most grief I’ve ever felt. I really like how he’s using AI tbh, this attitude towards it seems solid

quote:

That wasn’t the only project Onstad was working on. He’d been putting together a four-volume, 2,300-page hardcover anthology of Achewood with Oni Press, a Portland-based publisher of graphic novels. The anthology was ready to send to the printer. But just after Netflix canceled the Achewood animated series, Oni Press underwent its own convulsions — and scrapped the project.

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm not getting the impression that he's like turning the strip into AI-chewood. As a warmup exercise for his creative process, whatever, his business; worth noting the article mentions him writing a lot of content in the course of training the bot. imo the chatbot thing is faddy and not super interesting and it's not something I'd do if I had some IP, but neither is the officially-blessed nerdcore rap from the '00s. It's not like the whole enterprise has always met the standard of taste its characters like to think of themselves as having. If it stays bracketed off, I don't see any reason to be less excited than I was yesterday.

I thought some of the replies under here get at it better than I might:
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1655698673710542848

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I think I remember seeing some of the pilot or some portion of the Achewood show floating around. The voices didn't match what I imagined the characters should sound like in my head was my takeaway.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Youremother posted:

Onstand relaunching Achewood as a business venture is very interesting, but I guess makes the most sense as a way to stick with it. I have no idea how well his soda syrup venture went, I know the business is still around but I don't know if he's still involved with it. I'm also surprised at how organic the Ray AI sounds, some of the answers are very natural and fully Ray-voiced. I suppose Achewood as a Lifestyle Brand was only the natural progression

Achewood Highscool track suits, red with white piping

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

moot the hopple posted:

I think I remember seeing some of the pilot or some portion of the Achewood show floating around. The voices didn't match what I imagined the characters should sound like in my head was my takeaway.

https://youtu.be/b_97q16TFxk

It’s bad

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

moot the hopple posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_97q16TFxk

beef is about right, phillipe is fine, ray is... a choice

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

more falafel please posted:

Beef is voiced by Onstad himself which is probably the most perfect choice.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I’m making galaxy nachos tonight

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
apparently if you are age 19 to 39 the two letters AI in your vision is like a sizzling pan of bacon grease being held close to your face

Dunny
Jul 11, 2022

On that secret Taco Bell menu since small times

(Thanks for the Achewood collection, dude)
There has been some quite lively and spirited discussion on the discord as to the nature of current AI and the application thereof. It's been... fun.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I have a free afternoon. What's one fun thing I should do? —Goof

Get rid of the free afternoon! Work, go out with friends, read a book, do some pushups, stare at the ceiling, sear a steak! I’m not a drat slave master. Do anything but lie around all drat day and “enjoy your free afternoon.” That is ridiculous. How old am I, an ancient Asian? How I get old is, I don’t just sit around jerkin’ off and moanin’ about how all my free afternoons are free.

That is not Ray.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

more falafel please posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_97q16TFxk

Should be mentioned that was the first attempt at a TV show, the Netflix/Pendleton Ward one was a completely different beast that got much much closer to actually happening. Hope he leaks that animatic one day

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

sometimes the bot nails "Ray when pissed off about hemorrhoids/being sober" yeah

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I thought some of the replies under here get at it better than I might:
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1655698673710542848

This one sums a lot of it up for me:

https://twitter.com/sensha_do/status/1655700554901860354?s=46&t=JsbrXZLeMaksMidW9RvL9A

It’s an argument that has been infesting a lot of places recently including lots of SA and it really sucks

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Dunny posted:

There has been some quite lively and spirited discussion on the discord as to the nature of current AI and the application thereof. It's been... fun.

Hah yeah, that got heated for a bit.

Onstad's using it in possibly the best way for the strip. It's just an idea prompt that he can see if he can riff off of, but it's not writing the strips for him or anything like that. It and RayBot are also only using training data from the strips themselves, which is also perfectly fine rather than trying to rip ideas from other people's web-scraped writing like a lot of other chatbots do. It's essentialy just a fancy markov chain generator that he can hit Randomize on a few times to see if any ideas come forth, and that's a good tool-usage of it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

this just in (and I don’t think it’s out of bounds to post)

so there ya go

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Escobarbarian posted:

This one sums a lot of it up for me:

https://twitter.com/sensha_do/status/1655700554901860354?s=46&t=JsbrXZLeMaksMidW9RvL9A

It’s an argument that has been infesting a lot of places recently including lots of SA and it really sucks

AI generation (or whatever the technical term is) is like any other form of theft or piracy or copyright infringement in that it's monstrous when a corporation does it to an independent artist but in any other circumstance I can't be assed to care.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I guess I don’t have an artistic objection to it but it’s still kind of weird! If I was going to relaunch my comic strip my initial move would not be to hire four engineers

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I don't think it's unethical that he's created a raybot (except for the base model he's using of BigBoy, but we won't get into that now), and I didn't think he was generating AI strips. It's that AI is the latest snake oil from silicon valley and Onstad's thing was long pointing at the latest snake oil and making fun of it. Seeing him go for this one is... well, it's worrying.

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear? Was some room left for speculation from the article, and I'm sympathetic to the idea that he's wasting whatever time he's spending on those experiments; spend your money however you want but I don't think he's doing wrong by the audience here.