Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I liked Moffat's entire run, some of my favs eps, Doctors, and companions were during his time. I know people here act like it was the worst thing to happen to Who until Chib, but I thought it was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Khanstant posted:

I liked Moffat's entire run, some of my favs eps, Doctors, and companions were during his time. I know people here act like it was the worst thing to happen to Who until Chib, but I thought it was fantastic.

Yeah, I did a full rewatch a couple of years ago and overall the highs or even mids out-do the lows. The cast always carries it and as hamfisted and laddy as the writing can get the overall ethos is something I can still really get behind

Chibs was just wallpaper. There was no ethos that I could detect. I'll take Moffat's too clever by half bullshit and RTD's first draft at the list minute emotionalism over Nothing Really any day

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I loved the first 2 eps of Dracula, really didn't rate the finale though

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Bringing back Tennant, Tate, Davies and Moffat in such short succession does makes me slightly worried about the stagnation of Who. (and an apparently very shallow writer/show runner talent pool).

Obviously the best case scenario is that this nostalgia tour gets eyes back on the show in time for a successful relaunch captures a new generation of fans.

But being a Simpsons fan the worst case scenario in my mind is an Al Jean like return.

The new Dr and Companion look good. Gatwa's outfits look good, and his casting demonstrates they haven't taken the wrong lesson from the last era.

But Millie Gibson was 6 when Tennant left who, so I'm really hoping Davies doesn't land on the same early 2000s tone.

I am optimistic with some big reservations, if that makes sense?

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 19, 2023

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

JoylessJester posted:

Bringing back Tennant, Tate, Davies and Moffat in such short succession does makes me slightly worried about the stagnation of Who. (and an apparently very shallow writer/show runner talent pool).

Obviously the best case scenario is that this nostalgia tour gets eyes back on the show in time for a successful relaunch captures a new generation of fans.

But being a Simpsons fan the worst case scenario in my mind is an Al Jean like return.

The new Dr and Companion look good. Gatwa's outfits look good, and his casting demonstrates they haven't taken the wrong lesson from the last era.

But Millie Gibson was 6 when Tennant left who, so I'm really hoping Davies doesn't land on the same early 2000s tone.

I am optimistic with some big reservations, if that makes sense?

My take is that RTD has many more great stories in him, and he's certainly shown that with his non-Who input the last few years. Bringing the band back together allows him to pick up where he left off and then move ahead, rather than try to do a creative reboot from scratch. It will help ground him and remind him where he and the show have been. I think having been away and doing new stuff will allow him to have recharged his creative batteries in a way that was needed. He'll probably do a better job than he would have if he'd plowed ahead a decade ago and done another 5 seasons.

And there's no getting around it...no matter how much praise Moffat and RTD heap on Chibnall in the press, the show has taken a dive, in both popular consciousness and ratings. And despite how much most of us here love Capaldi, he wasn't that popular and was experiencing ratings declines. Even Matt Smith was never as popular as Tennant. My mom is a great example. She tolerated Smith and actively didn't like Capaldi. She never watched the old show, but watched the new one with me and my brother. She really loved Tennant. RTD loves Doctor Who. He loves creativity. But he also knows how to make hit TV and he wasn't rehired to do a niche show with ever declining ratings. The last thing he'd want too is for a repeat of 1986 and 1989 and for the show to get cancelled again. He has to make it a hit again, and rather than convince fans like my Mom who dropped out the past few years with a brand new Doctor, he can rope them back in with Tennant. It's cynical, but solid business sense.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I still think that if Moffat had let Capaldi do what he so clearly wanted to do, which was dashing and adventurous Pertwee 2.0, rather than "What this show really needs as a main character is a miserable and borderline abusive misanthrope who will sloooooowly develop a sense of empathy" it would have kept more viewers.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Fake events. Didn't happen.

https://twitter.com/MaxKashevsky/status/1111965898183794688

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Highly reliable Twitter leaker has something, apparently

https://twitter.com/vieweranon/status/1626869919324459016

Moffat has been calling Davies "boss" on instagram for a couple of months now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I loved Capaldi’s run as it aired, but I love it more and more as time goes on.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
he punched his way through diamond into my heart

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Shepherd's Boy is a lovely theme for the character too.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm trying to think of another moment as good as that in doctor who but I can't. Certainly one hell of a bird.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Even Matt Smith was never as popular as Tennant.

I'm surprised by this, the first few seasons of Smith's run with Amy and Rory in particular felt like it was the height of New Who's popularity and saturation in the zeitgeist. I even feel like I remember it being referenced in other media a lot at the time (maybe this was a particular high for its presence in American pop culture which I guess is not nearly as important as British ratings)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm surprised by this, the first few seasons of Smith's run with Amy and Rory in particular felt like it was the height of New Who's popularity and saturation in the zeitgeist. I even feel like I remember it being referenced in other media a lot at the time (maybe this was a particular high for its presence in American pop culture which I guess is not nearly as important as British ratings)

I believe the Smith era marked a high point for merchandise sales in the United States.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Smith era also coincided with peak Tumblr, which was saturated with Doctor Who.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I think it even got one of those "a show where people unrelated to the show talk about it after the show" things when Smith's seasons were airing here in Canada on Space.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It helped that Smith's first season was so loving good.

I wonder what the best reference will be for RTDs new season, in the same way that the first years of the renewal definitely had a real Buffy vibe.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Payndz posted:

I still think that if Moffat had let Capaldi do what he so clearly wanted to do, which was dashing and adventurous Pertwee 2.0, rather than "What this show really needs as a main character is a miserable and borderline abusive misanthrope who will sloooooowly develop a sense of empathy" it would have kept more viewers.

Well the latter worked for JNT and Colin Bak…

Actually, never mind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/bbcwilliamwho/status/1635289669868097536

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Confusedslight posted:

I'm trying to think of another moment as good as that in doctor who but I can't. Certainly one hell of a bird.

The only one close is Twelve and Clara again, with his "Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference?"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Clive Anderson like Whose Line Clive Anderson?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Now I'm picturing the alternate universe where Clive Anderson played the Sixth Doctor

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mooseontheloose posted:

I'm assuming. He was popping up on panel shows not too long ago, so he's still active, as far as I know.

Though, that's obviously Davies talking.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mooseontheloose posted:

Clive Anderson is in a play on in London at the moment, Winner’s Curse. I imagine he’s promoting it still after some lacklustre reviews.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Clive Anderson is in a play on in London at the moment, Winner’s Curse. I imagine he’s promoting it still after some lacklustre reviews.

As an American I just didn't know he was still active. My only exposure is old Whose Line reruns from the 90s on Comedy Central.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

UNIT series with Redgrave a go.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/Tardis_Central/status/1640732429483749382?s=20

Nothing super new if you've seen the leaks but still cool to hear about.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Where them leaks at? This the spoiler thread ain't it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/harryamatt/status/1601351059204878336

It might be using the Volume wall too, with just the console and door bits being real.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/WhovianLife/status/1655660454822260736?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Worth pointing out the street set has been decorated with Abbey Road signs. Because 60s innit

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Another new outfit!!

https://twitter.com/set_dw/status/1667233259971903489

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This isn't a complaint at all but it's very odd having a Doctor so ripped.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It is odd we've had to wait so long. I think it's fair to say the only reason all of us aren't ripped like spartan soldiers is because we don't have enough time. The Doctor never has that problem

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Time spent working out is time taken out of your personal timeline that could be used to explore the universe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I mean, you know, zero complaints from me. :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Visiting a system with really weak gravity so you're handily the strongest person there. Work Who-er not harder

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/set_dw/status/1673335926477529091

Rusty couldn't resist.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Perhaps they misheard the introduction of a new pompous character D'Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct9-UZLNKsi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==