Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Progressive JPEG posted:

glossy screens

The literal inability to see screens due to glare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The "bwampf" that happened when you hit the degauss button on the monitor, despite not knowing what it actually DID beyond a delightful noise and image

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Degaussing loving owned

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kitfox88 posted:

Degaussing loving owned

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

when I was young my leading edge 15" crt degaussed itself (which is weird right? idk maybe I inadvertently did it, it was almost 30 years ago) which scared the crap out of me because I thought I broke it and would catch hell from my parents. after I learned what happened I did that poo poo all the time :coal:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Volmarias posted:

The "bwampf" that happened when you hit the degauss button on the monitor, despite not knowing what it actually DID beyond a delightful noise and image

nothing has ever been as satisfying

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
actually that time I was hosed up as heck and nailed the (air) guitar solo on comfortably numb now that was satisfying

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

yeah they focus on like, not ipads and stuff for obvious reasons but they also offer advice for those

the engineering students on my campus do this and it rules. they just set up a tent in the common area and all the old people in the neighborhoods surrounding it haul in bigass fans and rice cookers and it's a big 'ol party

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lord funk posted:

the engineering students on my campus do this and it rules. they just set up a tent in the common area and all the old people in the neighborhoods surrounding it haul in bigass fans and rice cookers and it's a big 'ol party

boss

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kitfox88 posted:

Degaussing loving owned

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

i looked recently and couldn't find a website that was just a degauss simulator

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kitfox88 posted:

Degaussing loving owned

BWONNNNNNnnnnngggggg………*click*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would pay real earth money for a modern day, accurate, degaussing simulator.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

BWONNNNNNnnnnngggggg………*click*

I have an amplifier that does a mini version of this it's great

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Pointcast

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I would pay real earth money for a modern day, accurate, degaussing simulator.

i don't think you can ever get the true effect without a real life crt monitor

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

.cjb.net domains

i just remembered them because a music video i watched had one. man, they were everywhere way back when, even i had one at one point!

what even was the "cjb" in cjb.net?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

WOW!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

.cjb.net domains

i just remembered them because a music video i watched had one. man, they were everywhere way back when, even i had one at one point!

Computer Janitors Boners

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

trilljester posted:

Computer Janitors Boners

No thanks, I've already got one.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

.cjb.net domains

it was originally the complete jewish bible webring

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

it was originally the complete jewish bible webring

oh man webrings

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mediaphage posted:

oh man webrings

i have a webring-like project on the backburner, maybe someday it will see the light of day

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no webring

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

i have a webring-like project on the backburner, maybe someday it will see the light of day

just make an index and go straight gopher

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

just make an index and go straight gopher

gemini is actually p deece yall should take a look

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

.cjb.net domains

i had a dodgy PHP site with handcrafted CSS on cjb.cc back when i was in highschool. good times

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

give how absolutely poo poo google is today coupled with more and more crap moving to discords for no loving reason IT'S SO loving poo poo AS AN ARCHIVAL AND STORAGE METHOD YOU loving ZOOMERS maybe webrings should come back and just link to discords instead

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i simultaneously hold that discord is a really useful tool and i use it all the time, but it's dogshit when people try to use it for non ephemeral information.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

it's great as an 'irc with a nicer ui and built in voice chat' but yes it sucks absolute poo poo at being any sort of actually repository which is why it's infurating that more and more poo poo is moving onto it. i don't want to have to go through two discords to find starsector mods gently caress off post them on the goddamn forum or on a goddamn geocities page

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

old men yell at the cloud

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no problem I just effortlessly create my free forum ... oh

well I just create my geocities page ... oh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kitfox88 posted:

old men yell at the cloud

naw its a very quantifiable and real problem. besides there are several wiki sites that you can log permanent info to. dont put that poo poo in discord pins

also at some point between now and 2025 we're gonna see some press release like "pinterest pays 4.7b to buy Discord" and its all over

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

An entire generation of internet effort gone in a flash because venture bro vultures didn't get fast enough growth

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's okay, any information that gets lost on discord we can just look up on chatgpt.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so much of the early web is gone because no one does free web hosting, not even ur isp

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

so much of the early web is gone because no one does free web hosting, not even ur isp

nobody wants to host nazi poo poo for free

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

nobody wants to host nazi poo poo for free

yes mark & elon like to be paid but thats not my point

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

you can make github pages i guess, but thats a bit dweeby and too much work for most people i assume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Roosevelt posted:

i don't think you can ever get the true effect without a real life crt monitor

i tried thus video sitting in my bathtub on a subwoofer holding a van de graff generator, it’s about the same

https://youtu.be/o03TXOQ2_AU