Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I did, the ship just sat there with no command. I actually had to destroy the turrets and suck up some rep loss, after that the boarding operation cancelled. Really buggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - can I set a global alert for spotting a specific race/faction's carrier? Specifically, the Split Raptor? I know I can set an alert for Split XL ship classes within specific roles, but none of the options include 'carrier'. I can pick 'fight' or 'auxiliary', so would either of those work? According to the shipyard classes it shouldn't, because carriers are Carrier class, but I don't see another option...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Fight should work, I used that when hunting for an Asgard to board in the past. It picked up both Tokyos and Asgards.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Did they deliberately change the requirements for Operation Hyena in the Terran plot? You used to have to build a hull parts factory, now its silicon + smart chips.

Also not sure if this bug existed before, but found this out today: If you trail a ship that flies faster than your regular travel speed you can turn on the travel engine, wait until you overtake it speed wise then brake with backspace and immediately match speed (shift+x) and the game will give you that speed regardless if your normal drive can reach it or not. And you get to keep the maneuverability of normal turning with high speeds.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

FrickenMoron posted:

Did they deliberately change the requirements for Operation Hyena in the Terran plot? You used to have to build a hull parts factory, now its silicon + smart chips.

Also not sure if this bug existed before, but found this out today: If you trail a ship that flies faster than your regular travel speed you can turn on the travel engine, wait until you overtake it speed wise then brake with backspace and immediately match speed (shift+x) and the game will give you that speed regardless if your normal drive can reach it or not. And you get to keep the maneuverability of normal turning with high speeds.

I did operation Hyena last week and it was just the normal hull parts station, I have no idea why it's silicon and smart chips for you......

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm on the ventures multiplayer test beta, maybe that's why. I was very confused too. It's one L container storage, silicon refinery and 2x smart chips and a pier.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So I just got my first mining ship and crewed it with a bunch of minimum wagers, my captain has two stars in piloting so sadly I can only local automine. I set him to do his thing in Argon Prime since I don't have many other sectors well mapped out (and also I had like five minutes before I had to leave for work :negative:)

I left the game on while I left but now I'm realizing, do I need to pop satellites in the asteroid field so the miner crew knows where to mine, or can they find the silicon on their own?

I bounced off X4 because it was a little too different from X3, but I'm making a real effort this time, I might have some real dipshit questions so apologies in advance

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I did the same thing with initially bouncing of X4.

I don't think they absolutely need the resource probes, but I think they work more efficiently with them.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Danaru posted:

So I just got my first mining ship and crewed it with a bunch of minimum wagers, my captain has two stars in piloting so sadly I can only local automine. I set him to do his thing in Argon Prime since I don't have many other sectors well mapped out (and also I had like five minutes before I had to leave for work :negative:)

I left the game on while I left but now I'm realizing, do I need to pop satellites in the asteroid field so the miner crew knows where to mine, or can they find the silicon on their own?

I bounced off X4 because it was a little too different from X3, but I'm making a real effort this time, I might have some real dipshit questions so apologies in advance

Your miners will give you an upkeep mission to place resource probes if they aren't able to find anything in their immediate vicinity. That said Argon Prime has only trace amounts of silicon so your miner is going to take a while to fill up. You made sure there's a silicon buyer in Argon Prime as well didn't you?

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm on the ventures multiplayer test beta, maybe that's why. I was very confused too. It's one L container storage, silicon refinery and 2x smart chips and a pier.

It's not a beta thing, quick googling and apparently sometimes smart chips instead of hullparts is a thing.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Danaru posted:

wilderthanmild posted:

I don't think they absolutely need the resource probes, but I think they work more efficiently with them.

It's this. Keep in mind that resource probes have a very wide range. You only need like 3-4 to cover the entire sector. You can see what your coverage is by entering the map and hitting the "Mining" button with the on/off symbol in the upper right of the screen. Even then, you'll notice your miners all congregating in weird spots.

Also, there's nothing wrong with local automining. It's basically the patented way to get your passive income off the ground. In vanilla, captains gain piloting skill at what I consider a glacial pace that I've modded out of my 2nd playthrough. But don't be surprised if, initially, your income is supplied by a small fleet of local autominers.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you want to run a local autominer do it at grand exchange if you don't have any of the dlcs. It's a huge sector with all kinds of materials and buyers. Just place a resource probe in each sector with resources there and you're golden. (and scout the stations in the sectors to find the buyers for your ships. You could also do missions that reward a 2 star pilot seminar to give them 3 stars.

Also that is wild with the terran mission requirement, I've done it a few times now and never saw the smart chips version. I noticed a bug as well with the ventures beta: Your ships turrets don't recognize venture ships as enemies, even if you get fired at by them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alchenar posted:

I do love how for 20 years they've kept the same computer voice.

I just wouldn't be an X game without Betty and her odd pronunciations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just wouldn't be an X game without Betty and her odd pronunciations.

The "Turrent component" is terrible once you hear it and cant unhear it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

FrickenMoron posted:

Oh my god I thought I was going crazy and mishearing her

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I'll put a resource probe out, and the miner will gently caress off to the other side of the sector to mine when there are tons of rocks next to the probe and a station to drop the load off at next to it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

If you want a tight mining run, use Repeat Orders and mine --> sell

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I did notice The Reach (I think? One jump from Argon Prime I don't know the map yet :saddumb:) had an absolute boatload of ore asteroids while I was scanning for a data cache, is ore worth the operation or should I stick with the small amount of silicon I'm getting currently?

My husband is getting annoyed at me asking him about my money. I've made enough for a second miner already :toot:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

FrickenMoron posted:

Sadly there are people who actually pronounce it that way IRL. It fills me with despair.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Worth noting in the ventures beta is that ventures seem to give a boatload of xp, I managed to train some guys to 4 star pilots starting at 1 star by sending them on (non deadly) ventures nonstop.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

I did notice The Reach (I think? One jump from Argon Prime I don't know the map yet :saddumb:) had an absolute boatload of ore asteroids while I was scanning for a data cache, is ore worth the operation or should I stick with the small amount of silicon I'm getting currently?

My husband is getting annoyed at me asking him about my money. I've made enough for a second miner already :toot:

Argon Prime is a crappy system for mining I think. If you wanna local mine in Argon controlled sectors Morning Star IV or Black Hole Sun are the way to go imo.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Argon prime is really, really bad. Don't mine in that system. Also gotta retract the statement from earlier, my fighter pilot I sent on like 10 scout missions is 5 stars now. definitely transferring that one.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Danaru posted:

The Reach is rich in ore but the payoff isn't as good as silicon, and if you're doing a later mission for the Terrans ( unless you the surprise we want you to build a smart chip factory ) you'll end up with miners gravitating to that system ( I mean if I'm tasked with making a Hull parts factory in Argon Prime of course I'm putting a metal and graphine refinery first, I'm not paying Commonwealth prices for inputs! ). The money isn't as good per haul, but your miner will mine ore faster than silicon ( in the same patch where they nerfed the silicon out of Argon Prime they also made silicon much slower to mine overall ) and will gain levels faster than mining silicon because they're completing more hauls per hour and your standings gains with Argon will also improve faster because of the more hauls per hour.
As you'll progress in the game you'll start finding your Drills are being murdered though and The Reach will become a black hole for your mining ships until you start upgrading them to L class miners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR3w2ZFs2IM
That doesn't mean you gotta beeline to L Miners, you have a few ingame days before the Kha'ak start appearing and causing problems, but you do need to be prepared to start upgrading to bigger ships at some stage.

Also an early game mining tip, if you manage to score a few Basic Weapons mods from buzzing around battle sites, you've done the research at the PHQ, and while you're running individual autominers ( don't bother doing it as you become more established ), consider putting those basic weapon mods on your mining lasers on your auto miners for up to 5 times improved mining.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 10, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Worth noting in the ventures beta is that ventures seem to give a boatload of xp, I managed to train some guys to 4 star pilots starting at 1 star by sending them on (non deadly) ventures nonstop.

Ohhh, interesting - so this is in a Steam beta branch, right? I assume it's OK to opt into it and continue with my current save? Thanks for the heads-up on that, since I wouldn't mind more high-skill pilots. The only two I have are that Haile cyborg guy and an Elite Vanguard pilot who's been on continuous sector exploration missions all game! (And he's only a 4.66 star pilot, from memory. Once he hits five stars, I'll reward him with a Raptor to pilot)

ZombyDog posted:

Also an early game mining tip, if you manage to score a few Basic Weapons mods from buzzing around battle sites, you've done the research at the PHQ, and while you're running individual autominers ( don't bother doing it as you become more established ), consider putting those basic weapon mods on your mining lasers on your auto miners for up to 5 times improved mining.

Hmm good point, good point. Is there any way to do this remotely, btw? Or would I need to dock all the miners at a shipyard and then go through each one one-by-one at the workbench? I suspect it's the latter, but figured I'd check - I haven't actually bothered much with upgrades for a year or two, I'm ashamed to admit! I've probably got a boatload of components...

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Look in your heart and you know the answer.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How long should I wait to start considering building a station? Mining ore and processing it myself seemed like a no brainer until I saw how stations need staff, and the resources to take care of those staff, and while I assume a station doesn't have to be self sustainable off the bat, Holy moley that's a lot of supplies to worry about :shepface:

A combined food/medical supply factory seems like it would be pretty easy to make self sufficient compared to other production trees, but still woof

E: oh workforce JUST need food and meds, for some reason I thought they needed more than that :geno:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 10, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

Look in your heart and you know the answer.

:negative:

Danaru posted:

How long should I wait to start considering building a station? Mining ore and processing it myself seemed like a no brainer until I saw how stations need staff, and the resources to take care of those staff, and while I assume a station doesn't have to be self sustainable off the bat, Holy moley that's a lot of supplies to worry about :shepface:

A combined food/medical supply factory seems like it would be pretty easy to make self sufficient compared to other production trees, but still woof

Nah, stations don't need staff, beyond a manager. The production modules are all entirely automated - so you could make a basic refined metal and silicon wafer production station, with ore and silicon as the base inputs. (Plus solid+container storage of course) Then all you'd need is a minimum wage manager and preferably assign some miners to it, then you're done!

Habitats/workforce ARE handy later on, but they purely act as a kind of 'force multiplier'. Basically the logic behind them is that they improve efficiency and reduce wastage compared to having a purely automated station. So the end result is that you simply get like, x1.5 (might not be quite 1.5, but I think it is?) the resources by having a fully staffed station vs an automated one. So it's handy, but not a big deal at all. It's something you'd branch out to much later in the game for more profits, more than anything (once you've got the means to make food and medicine for free yourself, of course!)

EDIT: drat my phoneposting typos

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 10, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh sick :toot: that makes things way easier

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The Xenon are getting more aggressive. In the last couple sessions I've spent most of my time in fairly large engagements with them. 2 in the Void and 1 in Hatikvas Choice. Multiple Ks each time, but I've avoided taking any capital losses by carefully picking them off while they are separated. I was originally planning on going after the HOP after I finished my wharf project, but it looks like I'm gonna have to focus on this problem before it gets out of hand. Both systems have had multiple stations destroyed already.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

The Xenon are getting more aggressive. In the last couple sessions I've spent most of my time in fairly large engagements with them. 2 in the Void and 1 in Hatikvas Choice. Multiple Ks each time, but I've avoided taking any capital losses by carefully picking them off while they are separated. I was originally planning on going after the HOP after I finished my wharf project, but it looks like I'm gonna have to focus on this problem before it gets out of hand. Both systems have had multiple stations destroyed already.

Yeah, I've come to the same conclusion, myself. Additionally, most of Zyarth's space has been consumed by the xenon horde, which...is troubling, because I plan on siding with them against the Free Families! :v: It's tricky up there, that's for sure. I was hoping the Boron would have a direct link to the xenon up in that region to draw focus away from the Split, but nope.

So yeah, I'm building up a defence platform by the Hatikvah's Choice-Tharka's Cascade gate. It has 20 argon disks and 28 argon bridge defence modules, along with some standard 'bridge' connector modules as filler around the edges - that is, to hopefully draw attention/xenon plasma rounds away from the actual defence modules.
After this... I'm thinking I'll have to do something similar in Zyarth space, to stop the xenon from taking more space or stations off them. Then I'll eventually start pushing them out of that corner of space. (With the added benefit of eventually freeing the Yaki in Savage Spur, once that xenon pocket has been taken care of)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The xenon are living rent free in teladi space in my game, wreaking havoc there. It's really bad even in the highway systems. Edit: It's not even Ks, just a lot of Ps and M/N in squads hanging out there and harassing everything.

Also tested the venture skill gain, the pilot gains around a third of star every scouting mission (30 minutes). Theres a quicker one thats 15 mins but has a 10% chance of the ship dying. He started off at 1 star, then came back with roughly 1.3 then almost 2 stars. So you can train someone to 5 stars easily that way.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 10, 2023

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

The xenon are living rent free in teladi space in my game, wreaking havoc there. It's really bad even in the highway systems. Edit: It's not even Ks, just a lot of Ps and M/N in squads hanging out there and harassing everything.

Also tested the venture skill gain, the pilot gains around a third of star every scouting mission (30 minutes). Theres a quicker one thats 15 mins but has a 10% chance of the ship dying. He started off at 1 star, then came back with roughly 1.3 then almost 2 stars. So you can train someone to 5 stars easily that way.

The whole crew gains skill, just less than the pilot. If I had a good trade system for all goods set up I'd consider sending traders full of marines to get skilled up, just would be a bummer if the RNG checked them out since all the trader missions have a 10% destruction chance

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

WebDO posted:

The whole crew gains skill, just less than the pilot. If I had a good trade system for all goods set up I'd consider sending traders full of marines to get skilled up, just would be a bummer if the RNG checked them out since all the trader missions have a 10% destruction chance

There's an energy delivery one that has no chance of death. Just need to send 5k cells.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Seems like I found a way to train the most crew at once: If you have a Split Cobra (25 people) with a docked S ship it will send both ships at once. Lets see if this actually increases both ships skills.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The AI is pretty good until it's really bad. My destroyers will sit there and smartly bombard a station from outside of weapons range while I have my fighters commanded to dock...

...until one will randomly decide to charge right next to the station, deploy the fighters I ordered docked and have them attack the station (despite being on intercept), and just blow the gently caress up randomly. :confused:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Seems like I found a way to train the most crew at once: If you have a Split Cobra (25 people) with a docked S ship it will send both ships at once. Lets see if this actually increases both ships skills.

Oh, are ventures limited to L-sized ships? So... no carriers packed with small ships bustling with crew, then? :D Ah well! I do have a Cobra, so I could try and do it that way. I imagine I could also send a Sonra or a similar L freighter too, right? (Sorry - I haven't done any ventures since the early Split Vendetta days)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, are ventures limited to L-sized ships? So... no carriers packed with small ships bustling with crew, then? :D Ah well! I do have a Cobra, so I could try and do it that way. I imagine I could also send a Sonra or a similar L freighter too, right? (Sorry - I haven't done any ventures since the early Split Vendetta days)

They're limited to small and medium ships.

Also the AI is loving driving me insane, I have a fleet delivery mission for a frigate and 4 fighters in a split zone. No biggie except the way there is infested with xenon patrols. I cannot get this Falx to survive the trip (I'm baby escorting the fighters on my Syn). It refuses to engage the travel drive when following and gets distracted /caught by every goddamn xenon fighter on the way regardless of the AI settings.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Oops! My bad - I was mistaking the Cobra for the Rattlesnake :doh:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

FrickenMoron posted:

Also the AI is loving driving me insane, I have a fleet delivery mission for a frigate and 4 fighters in a split zone. No biggie except the way there is infested with xenon patrols. I cannot get this Falx to survive the trip (I'm baby escorting the fighters on my Syn). It refuses to engage the travel drive when following and gets distracted /caught by every goddamn xenon fighter on the way regardless of the AI settings.

Have you just tried flying the Falx yourself? teleport out when you're at the destination.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah I had to fly it manually 90% of the way there. I don't know why the AI is so averse to using the travel drive still after 5 years.

Edit: With the expedition fuel you get in the ventures you can tune down some missions to 2 minutes so you can rapidly train a 5 star pilot in no time with that as long as you have fuel. (3 fuel turns a 30/20 minute mission into 3/2 minutes)

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I have never had a seed where the xenon didn't just crush ZYA, though I've read of such legends.

I'm also in the midst of experiencing my first ever save of the xenon failing to take Litany of Fury