Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Torrannor posted:

Just a warning, the Coppermind is an amazing wiki, and the time machine feature is amazing. But it's relatively new, and there's a limit to how far back it's good. It's very easy to get spoiled browsing the Coppermind. You should probably avoid going to it before finishing Bands of Mourning + Secret History, as well as Words of Radiance.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an Elantris sequel anytime soon. He finished Mistborn Era 2 (of 4 planned eras), and will be finishing the first half of Stormlight Archive, after which there will be a break. I fully expect him to go devote some energy to his other worlds, but for various reasons, I'd bet that the Warbreaker sequel will have a high priority.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll avoid it for now. It was just the top result for "elantris sequel". I'm guessing any Elantris sequel is a few years out at best, but I've got the rest of the Cosmere to burn through and any other series I pick up after that. It's just nice to know he plans on going back there eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tunzie posted:

I believe the current plan is for a proper Mistborn trilogy (urban era) after Stormlight 5, then returning to SA 6. I fully expect Warbreaker and Elantris sequels to be the next books on his plate after that, probably as his ‘break’ after SA6 (also, he’s probably sneaking more Kickstarter-related novellas in along the way).

No, he's said that he's going to switch off between writing Mistborn Era 3 and the Elantris sequels. SA6 is after that and Warbreaker sequel is ????.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ojjeorago posted:

No, he's said that he's going to switch off between writing Mistborn Era 3 and the Elantris sequels. SA6 is after that and Warbreaker sequel is ????.

He's also mentioned that he plans to write the next Mistborn trilogy like the first one (as in writing all three before publishing the first one). So who knows what the plan is.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Just started the Way of Kings. It’s kind of a slow burn, innit?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Yes but it definitely pays off. I think it took me a couple months to get through the first half (it was my first Sanderson book), but after I got into the second half I blitzed through the rest as well as the following books in a matter of weeks (no small feat for three 60 hour audiobooks).

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

virinvictus posted:

Just started the Way of Kings. It’s kind of a slow burn, innit?

Brandon has admitted that the first part is very slow and a drag. I think he also said he would do things differently if he could redo it but as Taffer mentioned it pays off. It's a lot of worldbuilding and a lot of history that you're thrown into the middle of but its worth it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Is Elantris the only book that got an upgrade after being released?

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I believe all the leatherbounds are given a quality pass, but it’s usually correcting typos or grammar rather than the pass Elantris got.

Unless you count changing the bit in Words of Radiance a few months after first publishing.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I finished Elantris :toot: So that book just kinda ended? It felt like after Raoden fixed the giant Aon things just wrapped up really quickly, he zooped over to Teod and kicked some rear end (with the help of Hrathen) and then he had a wedding over like 2 pages and then it was done! Then Hoid had a little bit of wider universe exposition and peaced out.

Gonna read the Elantris novellas then on to Mistborn.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

I finished Elantris :toot: So that book just kinda ended? It felt like after Raoden fixed the giant Aon things just wrapped up really quickly, he zooped over to Teod and kicked some rear end (with the help of Hrathen) and then he had a wedding over like 2 pages and then it was done! Then Hoid had a little bit of wider universe exposition and peaced out.

Yeah pacing issues have been the biggest thing Sanderson has struggled with and it shows

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah pacing issues have been the biggest thing Sanderson has struggled with and it shows

Yeah I like the characters and world and magic system he's created, I like the different POVs though the strict 1-2-3 pattern didn't land perfectly, but I can totally see the criticisms of Elantris that people have had. I assume his pacing gets better as he writes more, and the prose gets more refined.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

pik_d posted:

Yeah I like the characters and world and magic system he's created, I like the different POVs though the strict 1-2-3 pattern didn't land perfectly, but I can totally see the criticisms of Elantris that people have had.

You can now read his annotations on the subject!
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/annotation-elantris-introduction/

pik_d posted:

I assume his pacing gets better as he writes more,

Yes.

pik_d posted:

and the prose gets more refined.

Sadly, no. But nobody is reading Sanderson for the prose.

In Sanderson adjacent discussion, I just finished reading Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly, which he cites as the book that sparked his love of reading and fantasy. It was a very good book.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pik_d posted:

Yay! Congrats on finishing your first foray into Sanderson. You survived Elantris. It's all uphill from here.

Personally, I think that my biggest criticism of the book is that we spent the least amount of time with the most interesting character (Hrathen) and the most time with the least interesting character (Sarene). It also made me laugh that there was this big deal about Sarene teaching the women fencing... only for when they try, they get immediately hosed. Real good payoff there!!!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

I wish he still had the time to do these.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I'm reading through those at work on my phone and I really loving wish the "Next chapter" button was above the list of chapters instead of below it.

Fun read though, just a lovely layout choice

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

I'm reading through those at work on my phone and I really loving wish the "Next chapter" button was above the list of chapters instead of below it.

Fun read though, just a lovely layout choice

Which book are you reading now?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Torrannor posted:

Which book are you reading now?

I'm talking about the linked annotations for Elantris on Sanderson's website.

As for your question, I'm going to get through the Elantris novellas before moving on to Mistborn.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

As for your question, I'm going to get through the Elantris novellas before moving on to Mistborn.

When it comes to novellas, "The Emperor's Soul" is the only one with any real meat. You can easily finish it in an afternoon (I think the audiobook version is roughly 3 hours).

"The Hope of Elantris" is a boring, if brief, short story that you can read in probably 20 minutes. It's not necessarily bad, but it doesn't really add much.

The backstory for it is more interesting than the story itself.

quote:

Brandon got the idea to write this story in January 2006, as he was dating his wife Emily. Emily mentions one of her eighth grade students has done a book report on Elantris. Matisse, the student, had done an outstanding job on her book report. There were detailed bios of the characters and even some materials you would find in the book. Brandon was moved by her report and wrote this companion story, with Matisse’s name as the lead character in honor to her. When Brandon and Emily were married, Matisse gave the book report to Brandon as a wedding gift.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Leng posted:

Sadly, no. But nobody is reading Sanderson for the prose.

I think the prose does improve dramatically as he goes on but it still never really rises above serviceable. He’s not going to win any awards for it that’s for sure.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

God, have fun with that gear shift. You’re going from the worst thing Sanderson ever wrote to one of the best.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

stramit posted:

I think the prose does improve dramatically as he goes on but it still never really rises above serviceable. He’s not going to win any awards for it that’s for sure.

Yeah the best description for his prose is "workmanlike"

It's words that don't get in the way of the story. Easy reading but nothing sophisticated

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah the best description for his prose is "workmanlike"

It's words that don't get in the way of the story. Easy reading but nothing sophisticated

Yeah I mean it definitely improves as his books go on, but the dude writes entertaining books that are fun to discuss and that really is enough, not every book has to reach some new creative heights with prose or whatever.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

stramit posted:

I'm actually gonna be curious to see how the next release pans out, mainly because he's brought on a new editor whose responsibilities include polishing up his prose:

Dragonsteel Entertainment job posting posted:

RESPONSIBILITIES

• Strong line editing skills should include the ability to learn Brandon’s style and transform earlier drafts into a more polished version of what he intends to say
  • Edit at a paragraph and sentence level for flow, continuity, consistency, logic, and accuracy, while learning our in-house editorial style

https://web.archive.org/web/20220922031516/https://www.brandonsanderson.com/jobs/editor/

That position was filled in April by Kristy Gilbert: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kristysgilbert

So too recent for it to have mattered on the first and second secret projects or The Lost Metal. But maybe for the third or fourth secret project or Defiant the new editor will have been involved in the polish.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Emperors Soul is a really nice story.

Another cool magic system, though after reading the Sel system blurb/essay it seems like it is just a different way that the Elantrian Dor is used? I saw someone somewhere else say that this could be adapted into a stage play and it really does feel like that. Shai spends the majority of her time in a nice cell, her updating the cell could be used to tell the passage of time, and the magic isn't something that needs special effects.

I also thought she had some interesting motivations, just to trick the whole empire. Obviously she wants to escape too, but finishing her work is clearly more important. She even manages to impress Gaotona and probably even the Emperor himself. She completely fooled Zu, Frava, and the Bloodsealer. I'm just glad she never fired her Chekhov's gun in the "forget everything" soulstamp.

On to Mistborn!

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
This prose discussion has me wondering, because I’m no English/literary expert, what fantasy works are considered to have good prose? I’m curious.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm not even a native English speaker. I have no clue. Tolkien I guess?

At least to me, Wheel of Time has better prose than Sanderson's works.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Wangsucker 69 posted:

This prose discussion has me wondering, because I’m no English/literary expert, what fantasy works are considered to have good prose? I’m curious.

Janny Wurts and our very own General Battuta (Seth Dickinson).

Come join us in the Wars of Light and Shadow thread if you want an 11 book epic to end all epic fantasy series that's completed (book 11 is done, Wurts is doing the cover art and waiting on a pub date).
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030263&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Wangsucker 69 posted:

I think Scott lynch does a great job (Locke Lamora series), there is also a book called between two fires that has really good prose. in sci-fi there is a lot of good authors too like the Hyperion series, the vanished birds, and a lot more.

stramit fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 13, 2023

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Lies of Locke Lamora is unreasonably good in that regard

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Zelazny

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Ursula Le Guin.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Broke Earth Trilogy successfully uses second person which is really hard to do. I think it also the first Hugo three peat.

zerofiend posted:

Lies of Locke Lamora is unreasonably good in that regard

I should re-read those.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
The first one was by far the best. I never thought the sequels lived up to the 1st. And it wasn't even close.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Artonos posted:

The first one was by far the best. I never thought the sequels lived up to the 1st. And it wasn't even close.

I agree, but at least we got to read those sequels. Lookin’ at you, Rothfuss.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Grundulum posted:

I agree, but at least we got to read those sequels. Lookin’ at you, Rothfuss.

After reading the first two books it was pretty fun to learn how book three’s supposed release has devolved into people effectively posting date rumors on sites or Youtube for clicks. That god drat book is never coming out.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Recently? The Spear Cuts Through Water or Piranesi would get my vote

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Up to chapter 7 of The Final Empire

I'm very glad that we got a novice Mistborn so we could get a training montage of what the different Allomancy metals do, though so far I still have 0 knowledge about the 9th metal, and I don't know what Atium or the 11th metal do. Vin has one hell of a survival mode don't trust anybody mentality, I'm guessing she'll shed that around Kelsier sooner or later. This heist seems fun and definitely no part of it will go wrong. Fun book so far, but I'm very curious how much the mist actually does since that hasn't been explained yet.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

pik_d posted:

I'm very glad that we got a novice Mistborn so we could get a training montage of what the different Allomancy metals do, though so far I still have 0 knowledge about the 9th metal, and I don't know what Atium or the 11th metal do. Vin has one hell of a survival mode don't trust anybody mentality, I'm guessing she'll shed that around Kelsier sooner or later. This heist seems fun and definitely no part of it will go wrong. Fun book so far, but I'm very curious how much the mist actually does since that hasn't been explained yet.

:kiddo:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

pik_d posted:

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
It's such a good drat good book series that I nigh on got chills reading that, for all his faults Sanderson makes you want to find out what is going on. It pretty much always pays off.