Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

most of what runs for long enough on royal road gets an epub, at which point those volumes are removed from rr.

That's true for Kindle Unlimited stuff, since Amazon demands any Kindle Unlimited books not be available for free elsewhere, but books that are sold as independent volumes can stay on RR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

GateOfD posted:

finished Volume 2 of The Faraway Paladin.
didn't seem to spot any problems when compared to the anime adaptation. Noticed they added a bit more screentime to that little bard girl in the anime

for the volume itself, liked the progression of Menel's relationship with Will. To his cautious meeting to being grateful to outright seeing him as a true friend/companion.

I really liked the way they translate Menel's way of speak, brother.

Enjoyed the end as much as the anime when Will realizes that he's pretty much the lord now when he was planning to travel away. And everyone just laughs at him.

I like the author talk near the end. Its neat that the whole novel started on the web writing site that all the other web isekais come from. And it got enough popularity that a publisher approached him. I don't know what kind of western webnovel writing is out there, and if any actually gets enough views to get a real publishing deal, but I think its neat that the asian side, the respective main amateur sites for japan/china/korea actually gets enough attention to give real opportunities to the ones that rise to the top.

Something I was wondering about the LN, in the manga the bard chews out Will after Menel gets burned, but in the anime she congratulates him for their win. Which one is the LN version?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 hours!)

Raserys posted:

Something I was wondering about the LN, in the manga the bard chews out Will after Menel gets burned, but in the anime she congratulates him for their win. Which one is the LN version?

In the LN version.
Both the bard and Tonio, the merchant, are both absent from the entire battle event, until the epilogue. Beast Woods area is said to actually have a good number of small villages, other than the two main ones we know about in the anime. (Menel's village, and the one Menel tried to raid)
It looks like they were left behind in a previous village and Tonio was in charge of supply routes for Will's adventurer party. After the win, they meet back, and Tonio just goes "good job" and the bard is excited to add another tale to her list to spread.

Looking at the passage and comparing it to the manga. Looks to me what they did is use the bard as Will's internal monologue.
In the light novel, Will has the internal monologue realizing how OP strong he is, and not noticing it, and how he made a mistake in thinking Menel was on his level, and how in their first encounter he totally kicked his rear end. Blaming himself for thinking he was on purpose ignoring the gap. And mentally breaking down on his own. But since anime/manga adaptations tend to skip over internal monologues save for at most 1-2 lines, they repurposed his monologue to Bard's outburst at him.

In the novel, after checking on the terrible state of Menel and healing him, Will just gears up right away and leaves to take down the demons by himself. He also had a vision from Gracefeel looking sad. And Will just says 'not to worry, i can do it all by myself' or something.

And Menel catches up to him soon after and they fight at the border of the woods.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

GateOfD posted:

In the LN version.
Both the bard and Tonio, the merchant, are both absent from the entire battle event, until the epilogue. Beast Woods area is said to actually have a good number of small villages, other than the two main ones we know about in the anime. (Menel's village, and the one Menel tried to raid)
It looks like they were left behind in a previous village and Tonio was in charge of supply routes for Will's adventurer party. After the win, they meet back, and Tonio just goes "good job" and the bard is excited to add another tale to her list to spread.

Looking at the passage and comparing it to the manga. Looks to me what they did is use the bard as Will's internal monologue.
In the light novel, Will has the internal monologue realizing how OP strong he is, and not noticing it, and how he made a mistake in thinking Menel was on his level, and how in their first encounter he totally kicked his rear end. Blaming himself for thinking he was on purpose ignoring the gap. And mentally breaking down on his own. But since anime/manga adaptations tend to skip over internal monologues save for at most 1-2 lines, they repurposed his monologue to Bard's outburst at him.

In the novel, after checking on the terrible state of Menel and healing him, Will just gears up right away and leaves to take down the demons by himself. He also had a vision from Gracefeel looking sad. And Will just says 'not to worry, i can do it all by myself' or something.

And Menel catches up to him soon after and they fight at the border of the woods.

Ah, that's pretty much how it went in the anime. My introduction to the series was the manga, so I was under the impression they had changed it

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Edit: Wait, this isn't Isekai, so wrong thread I suppose. It's close to the feel of those, though, really just missing the key element of the son (or parents) being from another world.

I'm bored at work so I'm looking for some stuff to read on Mangadex, and I came across Hello, I'm The Hero's Father ~I'm Sorry For All The Trouble My Foolish Son Has Caused You~. The overall quality isn't particularly great (it's fine, just not particularly noteworthy), but the premise is interesting.

quote:

Croix, who works as a lumberjack in a remote village, spends peaceful days with his beautiful wife, Wiel, and his only son, Alka.

One day, Alka receives an oracle that he is the only one who can defeat the Demon King, the "Hero", and together with his fiancé Saya, he sets out on a journey to subjugate the Demon King... I spent my days as a lumberjack with pride.

However, one day, three years after receiving the oracle, Saya returned to the village in tatters.

From Saya's mouth, Alka is flickering his authority as a hero, and is told that he does whatever he pleases without saving the world... to wake up his stupid son. Hit him with your strongest fist!!

Slavers do come up, though you may be able to guess how that works out for them.

Onean fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 10, 2023

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Onean posted:

Slavers do come up, though you may be able to guess how that works out for them.

I'd call it isekai-adjacent because it follows many of the tropes commonplace with Isekai. And I appreciate how Croix handles the slaver situation.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Isekai plots are often attached to a stock Dragon Quest-derived fantasy setting but the setting is also often used for pure fantasy stories.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Looking for an isekai. Well. I remembered there was an isekai that dealt with this. Unfortunately, I forgot the name. But it was an isekai where the MC got stuck in a freezer Futurama-style and awoke in a cyberpunk setting. The concept was pretty cool.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

doomrider7 posted:

Looking for an isekai. Well. I remembered there was an isekai that dealt with this. Unfortunately, I forgot the name. But it was an isekai where the MC got stuck in a freezer Futurama-style and awoke in a cyberpunk setting. The concept was pretty cool.

That's Cleopatra 2525.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

8one6 posted:

That's Cleopatra 2525.

Ah thanks. I also got rec'd a really good one from same person who gave me that one.

Horobi no Kuni no Seifukusha

Edit: Okay I am not familiar with that show AT ALL and I don't think it's what they had in mind, but will forward anyway.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 9, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
47th Kodansha Award Winners

SUNRAKU FTW!!!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So, in your opinion, what is your favorite kind of isekai situation?
There's the typical "transmigration" where you get sent to another world.
There's "reborn in another world", born with the memories, basically a complete continuation of the previous life.

Then there's "inherited memories", where halfway through the childhood the MC recovers the old memories, but that one hits a snag because it can be subdivided:
"Old personality asserts itself, new personality basically dies"
"Old and new personalities merge"
And the last one, "New personality only gets memories, not the persona".

Me, I like the last one, where the character gets the memories of the person. That way, you get both the isekai fantasy, without the grossness of having a teenager with a 30 year old's mind.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
There's also "Original and New Personality/Soul coexist," simultaneously as in "Haunted Duke's Daughter" or sequentially like in "The One Within The Villainess"

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The last two are pretty similar and an author could write one while insisting it is the other one.
Though I agree that the last two seem to have the best chance of being good and wholesome.

Or of course there is the all of the above at once option:
Girl is reborn into a novel she has read.
Decides to use bodyswap magic to take over the body of the heroine, but fails and only transfers her memories and dies. This is the stories MC.
Another bystander stumbles onto the magic circle and gets the personality and some memories implanted.
MC runs into someone who has been reborn into the novel.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

VictualSquid posted:

Decides to use bodyswap magic to take over the body of the heroine, but fails and only transfers her memories and dies. This is the stories MC.
Another bystander stumbles onto the magic circle and gets the personality and some memories implanted.

You forgot about the MC recalling those memories and saying, "gently caress that poo poo, I'm not sticking around for that".

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

There's "reborn in another world", born with the memories, basically a complete continuation of the previous life.

Then there's "inherited memories", where halfway through the childhood the MC recovers the old memories, but that one hits a snag because it can be subdivided:

Me, I like the last one, where the character gets the memories of the person. That way, you get both the isekai fantasy, without the grossness of having a teenager with a 30 year old's mind.

Bolding the two three that always creep me out as a concept, the first more than the second only because there is also "a newborn with a fully adult mind" and that's worse than teenagers imo. okay you covered that one.

I'd say simple transmigration is my favorite followed by the same as yours, inheriting memories at some point but still being their own person.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I enjoy the "I'm the author / superfan in a fictional world I can use my knowledge to exploit and change for the better" but it does tend to immediately discard the agency of the character they are inhabiting. The Greatest Estate Developer kinda gets into this so far where some people suspect something is up with the MC

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Most of them treat the original personality as if they died.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

The first one, because that's how The Red Ranger Becomes an Adventurer In Another World works.

VictualSquid posted:

The last two are pretty similar and an author could write one while insisting it is the other one.
Though I agree that the last two seem to have the best chance of being good and wholesome.

These are also good, because I enjoyed Beware the Villainess and am currently reading and enjoying Death Is the Only Ending for the Villainess/ Villains Are Destined to Die

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The funniest one that pops up now and then is "reincarnated into an isekai novel, so I know ahead of time that someone else is going to get reincarnated here." Often using completely different mechanics for the different reincarnated characters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just like the idea of clashing powersets like that Red Ranger one but I can't really find many like that.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
The Wolf Won't Sleep had a bit of that. Great art, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

The funniest one that pops up now and then is "reincarnated into an isekai novel, so I know ahead of time that someone else is going to get reincarnated here." Often using completely different mechanics for the different reincarnated characters.

there's one that goes a step further. it's a reincarnation into a game that was based on an isekai novel about a mc who is reincarnated into a novel. the book mc is still present, even! but despite the layers of meta it's not really very good. for the curious

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's one that goes a step further. it's a reincarnation into a game that was based on an isekai novel about a mc who is reincarnated into a novel. the book mc is still present, even! but despite the layers of meta it's not really very good. for the curious

I see that and I raise you: SI FANFICTION of the reincarnation into a game based on an isekai novel about an MC reincarnated into a different novel.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I just like the idea of clashing powersets like that Red Ranger one but I can't really find many like that.

That's the gimmick of Apocalypse Bringer. Protagonist is a strategy game guy and the next is a Dragon Quest villain with more isekai'd people out there.

You also get it in Overlord and Skeleton Kight when MMORPG guy goes to fantasy land and in Magic User where level 20 DnD mage goes. Also Surviving With My Mistress with Minecraft guy.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I prefer “young person is brought to fantasy world where they fight evil using items that look suspiciously similar to toys you can buy at your local toy store, eventually vanquishing evil with their friends and having to go home now that the adventure is over”

Having to go home once the adventure is over is an important element that too many isekai leave out

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Clarste posted:

Most of them treat the original personality as if they died.

Yeah this is the fundamentally hosed up thing about a lot of these premises, and I was pleased there was one isekai where the MC was actually the original personality, and they're going to gently caress up everyone else's poo poo on behalf of the isekai'd person they shared a body with because that girl was their only friend and advocate.

It's like yeah, in a lot of these wish-fulfillment stories the question of the Seat of Identity and the personhood of the possessed doesn't really come up a lot huh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean a corpse doesn't have personhood anyway? When I say they're treated like they are dead I meant that they are actually dead and gone, not just being ignored. Often the possession occurs right after some traumatic accident or a fever or whatever, implying that they would actually have died normally anyway, if not for the new soul taking over the body shortly after death. And either way the new personality might lament the misfortunes of the body's original owner and try to get revenge on their behalf or whatever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh yeah for sure.

There's still something that feels grody about the trope in general, which is why I appreciate it when the actual ethical implications of that flavor of isekai gets addressed. But that's relatively small beans compared to (frantically waves arms at entire genre)

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Clarste posted:

I mean a corpse doesn't have personhood anyway? When I say they're treated like they are dead I meant that they are actually dead and gone, not just being ignored. Often the possession occurs right after some traumatic accident or a fever or whatever, implying that they would actually have died normally anyway, if not for the new soul taking over the body shortly after death. And either way the new personality might lament the misfortunes of the body's original owner and try to get revenge on their behalf or whatever.

See: Beware of Chicken, the farm Xianxia.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

It is less the method of transportation and more that the writer keeps a sense of friction between the MC and the place they go too. I prefer when characters don't just slot into things and just act out an otherwise normal fantasy story.

So for example; in Yakuza Reincarnation, Ryumatsu regularly butts heads with the common sense of each location he enters as all the feudal politics, discrimination, and other imbalance clashes with his classic Yakuza code and mindset.

In 'Kill the Villainess' the MC initially doesn't regard a large number of people around her as being real because she knows she's in a book. And she treats her own existence there as ephemeral while actively trying to escape her fate as the villain and get back to her original life.

They both got mentioned but the Red Ranger Isekai and 'Wolf won't Sleep' have their protagonists who operate on rules different from where they found themselves.

'The Giant and the Onee-san' has a world that is at odds not just with the Main character but any otherworlder as the denizens are just tired of all these transplants. Same could be said of 'No Longer Allowed in Another World'

And to echo thetoughestbean writers just don't want their characters to go home which is the simplest way to accomplish this.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

My favorite setup is when you've got multiple former lives rattling around up there, giving the hero a hard time.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Favorite is the author isekai into own story. Mixed with stuff being changed that he haven’t intended.

Isekai into VN game is also fine

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the standard for chinese webnovels is for the mc to suddenly jump worlds and take over the body of someone who just died. usually they get the memories and have the same name. it's just a lazy narrative shortcut to get the story started quickly, but i still find it creepy. they take over this dead person's life and relationships without ever really questioning it. that they are an impostor and might be discovered because they are nothing like the original is likewise never mentioned. it gets weirder when the dead person that is replaced is an alternate reality version of the mc, and even more so when it is a younger version so the wn can be both an isekai and a regression.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I prefer “young person is brought to fantasy world where they fight evil using items that look suspiciously similar to toys you can buy at your local toy store, eventually vanquishing evil with their friends and having to go home now that the adventure is over”

Having to go home once the adventure is over is an important element that too many isekai leave out

Also weird when whoever rips them out of their world into the new one is just kinda like "sorry that's just how this works :shrug: it's one way" and then everyone just kinda forgets about it.

like oh well we got sick powers out of it for the low price of never seeing our families again and the risk of death doing someone else's dirty work

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I mean that's why Truck-kun has taken off as much as it has. It removes all of those questions and implications, because you can't go back to your home world, you're dead.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Going somewhere and never having to see your lovely family or go to your poo poo job is really appealing to some people.

What's pretty fascinating to me is in a lot of the Japanese "I wasted my life" isekai or regression it seems to be mostly they're own fault (being a lovely shut-in nerd) but with a lot of Korean stories it's because of some cataclysm or curse.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

VictualSquid posted:

We got your all of the above option right here. https://mangadex.org/title/f30a2fd3-cf2c-4f77-9910-51a908459a82/otome-game-no-heroine-de-saikyou-survival

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm a fan of the personalities kind of blending together, it makes sense to me that remembering an entire past life would change a lot about you, but not necessarily rewrite your current one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

yea, like for reincarnations, its pretty much on the level of my 30 year old rear end remembering my middle school days for a bit, its not gonna affect me much when I have an already established identity.

the isekai's past life was like 40-50 years ago, its just a fog of a memory now.