Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I’ve had much better luck with APFS Time Machine backups. I’ve had a few for a few different devices since they introduced it and none of them have failed. I think the old Time Machine backups were a lot more prone to breaking and APFS backups use native file system features like snapshots instead of a hodgepodge of symlinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

That's fair enough.
For file versioning and oh-no-I-didn't-mean-to-empty-the-trash (or rm -rf /) immediate backup / undo, TM is acceptable given the right hardware setup. It's more the use as an actual backup solution that will end up in tears before long.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I ended up just giving up on Time Machine.

My docs all live in OneDrive and are backed up to a NAS that gets backed up to an S3 equivalent.

My code is all pushed to a couple remotes.

My photos all live on the NAS unless I’m immediately editing them and most live in Lightroom CC.

Time Machine just got too drat slow and flaky despite the computer mostly living hard wired on a gigabit network.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Most of my important files and configuration dotfiles for my apps are backed up on iCloud, but I haven't had any issues keeping an Unraid "Time Machine" share running in the background that I've never had to actually use. I allocated 1 TB to it.

I also paid for ChronoSync so I can have automated folder syncing from my MacBook to my server as well. It might be a little overboard. It's on sale for $40 right now and they provide lifetime updates, which is a far cry from the modern era of only a year of free updates or whatever.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 12, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Cold on a Cob posted:

Synology active backup for business seems decent as a replacement for Time Machine with the caveat you can’t boot from it like a TM backup. I’m waiting for the next version of DSM with volume encryption to come out of beta before switching to it though so I’m speaking from minimal experience; I did a test of a smaller machine and did a few file restores without issue.

Did they get a version of the client working with M series chips? I know they don’t have ARM64 for Linux the last I looked.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Warbird posted:

Did they get a version of the client working with M series chips? I know they don’t have ARM64 for Linux the last I looked.

I tested it on an intel mac a few months ago without issue, but it seems like it's still kinda crap on the M chips based on a cursory reddit search. Guess it's a miss for now.

Edit:

To contribute - I backup two machines using TM with an external hdd every week (this way I have an air-gapped solution) and use iCloud for all our photos and personal files, so that's almost a 3-2-1 solution (but not quite because iCloud is a sync service not a real backup service). I have used TM to syno hosted sparsebundles in the recent past and they were unreliable.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 12, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’ve had an ongoing issue where sometimes where Plex’s desktop won’t properly take focus when full screen and you swipe over to it. Is that sort of thing a known issue with the OS or possibly limited to Plex? I don’t believe it’s happening with other apps I’m using but I’m not certain.

Given there’s stuff like the mouse not disappearing when a video is playing and so on I suspect it’s the latter but I figure I’d ask.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Corb3t posted:

Most of my important files and configuration dotfiles for my apps are backed up on iCloud, but I haven't had any issues keeping an Unraid "Time Machine" share running in the background that I've never had to actually use. I allocated 1 TB to it.

I also paid for ChronoSync so I can have automated folder syncing from my MacBook to my server as well. It might be a little overboard. It's on sale for $40 right now and they provide lifetime updates, which is a far cry from the modern era of only a year of free updates or whatever.

At least in my experience, the backing up for Time Machine is never the problem. It’s restoring a backup or browsing the Time Machine backups that are problematic.

Anyway - what I really meant to say is YMMV. I had a tough time of it but if others had good trip reports, sweet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

I’ve had an ongoing issue where sometimes where Plex’s desktop won’t properly take focus when full screen and you swipe over to it. Is that sort of thing a known issue with the OS or possibly limited to Plex? I don’t believe it’s happening with other apps I’m using but I’m not certain.

Given there’s stuff like the mouse not disappearing when a video is playing and so on I suspect it’s the latter but I figure I’d ask.

Yeah, I think it’s mostly Plex. I’ve had good luck fixing it by just hovering over the menu bar for a second and then bringing the mouse back down to the video.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’ll give that a try, thanks

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm really tired of Windows file sharing not working on my new MBP. On the old one it was rock solid, and on this one I sometimes can access the shared folder from my W11 machine once, and then that's it. No amount of restarts, turning the feature off and on, remapping will work. I'll give up for a week, start all over, get it to work and then, again, it won't work anymore.

My mac has always been the home of all my music files and losing this access has been incredibly frustrating.

EDIT: Apparently tenth time's the charm.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 14, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Try editing the nsmb.conf in /etc as per this link:

https://gist.github.com/jbfriedrich/49b186473486ac72c4fe194af01288be

The two things you definitely should enable are signing = off and multichannel.. also in my experience enabling only SMB 3 also speeds things up a bit especially if connected to Windows Servers..

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Pixelmator just released their lightroom analogue for Mac:

https://www.pixelmator.com/photomator/

I'll have to try this one out; I really only use lightroom for tweaking levels and minor colour correction in a hobbyist photographer capacity; if it can do that properly then I would absolutely consider switching. The prospect alone of not having to deal with Adobe's bullshit is reason enough

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

I'll have to try this one out; I really only use lightroom for tweaking levels and minor colour correction in a hobbyist photographer capacity; if it can do that properly then I would absolutely consider switching. The prospect alone of not having to deal with Adobe's bullshit is reason enough

Note that it is, from what I can tell, a limited trial. Seems you get 3 free edits, then it's $5/month, $30/year, or $100 "lifetime".

I think it is pretty competent for basic editing, so I might be convinced to give it a month-long trial and see if it could replace Lightroom. The integration with Photos is nice, and importing is pretty painless too. No video or batch editing though. Overall, a couple annoyances, but still pretty promising from another hobbyist's perspective.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 17, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've been considering nuking my creative cloud for the Affinity stuff but I've been with Lightroom forever so that's kind of what holds me back. I'm also going to give this a go for a month and make a decision.

Designer is much harder for me to wrap my head around than Illustrator though, for whatever reason.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

leave adobe behind

i moved to DxO photolab a year ago and it's great

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

nitsuga posted:

Note that it is, from what I can tell, a limited trial. Seems you get 3 free edits, then it's $5/month, $30/year, or $100 "lifetime".

I think it is pretty competent for basic editing, so I might be convinced to give it a month-long trial and see if it could replace Lightroom. The integration with Photos is nice, and importing is pretty painless too. No video or batch editing though. Overall, a couple annoyances, but still pretty promising from another hobbyist's perspective.

They do advertise batch editing and from what I could see in the 3 edits I got you could copy and paste them like in Lightroom. Will probably give it a go for a month too

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

I've never used their software in my life, but holy poo poo, how have the Apple lawyers not been inside their rear end in a top hat for that page design. They lifted basically every element from Apple's own site, to the point where it took me until the bottom of the page to realize they're a different loving company and this wasn't the Apple Store.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a nice-to-use VNC and RDP client for Mac?

I recently started using a headless Mac Mini to run a Windows session in Parallels that I RDP into frequently, but I also need to be able to connect to the host operating system, which is MacOS. It just seems foolish/odd to have Screens and Microsoft Remote Desktop running all the time when they do such similar things. I do know that VNC is cross-platform, it's just so much worse to use than RDP for Windows sessions.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I recently started using a headless Mac Mini to run a Windows session in Parallels that I RDP into frequently, but I also need to be able to connect to the host operating system, which is MacOS. It just seems foolish/odd to have Screens and Microsoft Remote Desktop running all the time when they do such similar things. I do know that VNC is cross-platform, it's just so much worse to use than RDP for Windows sessions.

I use Remoter (https://apps.apple.com/app/remoter/id486899236) since it was free on the app store for a bit.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

RemoteDesktopManager - https://devolutions.net/remote-desktop-manager maybe. There's a free edition, it's multi platform, Win, Mac, and Linux, works really well on my work Windows laptop, have not tried the Mac version. Reminds me a lot of mRemoteNG on Windows.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Microsoft Remote Desktop client works well

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I use Jump and it works well with Windows. Can also remote to Mac if you install the server binary on the target mac.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur get updates :siren:

Ventura was updated from 13.3.1a to 13.4
Monterey was updated from 12.6.5 to 12.6.6
Big Sur was updated from 11.7.6 to 11.7.7

Safari 16.5 was released for Monterey & Big Sur (folded into Ventura update)

Apple posted:

macOS Ventura 13.4 includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:

- Sports feed in the sidebar of Apple News gives easy access to stories, scores, standings, and more, for the teams and leagues you follow

- My Sports score and schedule cards in Apple News take you directly to game pages where you can find additional details about specific games

- Resolves an issue where Auto Unlock with Apple Watch does not log you into your Mac

- Fixes a Bluetooth issue where keyboards connect slowly to Mac after restarting

- Addresses a VoiceOver issue with navigating to landmarks on webpages

- Fixes an issue where Screen Time settings may reset or not sync across all devices

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.
For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I've tried every remote desktop-ish client available and the only one that doesn't offend my vision is Royal TSX (https://www.royalapps.com) and is free for under 10 saved connections I think.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Jeez, ever since I upgraded to Ventura 13.4, Apple Music keeps launching itself randomly for no reason at all, especially when I connect to my Bose speakers over Airplay.

What gives? Apple trying to make marketing part of the OS like everyone else?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Jeez, ever since I upgraded to Ventura 13.4, Apple Music keeps launching itself randomly for no reason at all, especially when I connect to my Bose speakers over Airplay.

What gives? Apple trying to make marketing part of the OS like everyone else?

Sounds very similar to the issue people have been having with their headsets, where the best guess anyone has been able to offer is that it's a combo of Music starting because of a “Play” command being sent over BT for no really sensible reason, and the external-sound-thingy sending a “Play” command on connect, also for no really sensible reason.

It may also be an extension of the auto-resume function that most phone headsets and ear buds have these days, where waking up or detecting that the user has put them in/over their ears starts the audio (i.e. it sends a play command automatically).

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I’ve been noticing the music app will pop up and start playing AFTER I remove my AirPods from my ears. Happens occasionally with my Apple TV as well. Fairly annoying since it just started blasting a random song at 1am a few nights ago.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

Using this for a bit, it is unfortunately a bit too much of an iPad app ported to Mac at this stage. I'm broadly fine with it doing everything from the apple photos library, but it seems like there's no easy way to actually get the original raw file back out once you've imported it, except in their proprietary .photo format. Maybe I'm too neurotic but I do think that if you're in deep enough to be taking photos with a real camera and doing raw image editing you would want some semblance of control over the files.

It does have a lot of potential though; the UI is beautiful and fast and the integration with photos could be a real selling point with just a smidge more flexibility.

I recall messing around with Pixelmator way back in the day and came away with a similar impression i.e. pretty good but you do have to acquiesce to doing stuff the way they want you to do it i.e. their interpretation of the apple-y way to do things. I'm all in on the apple ecosystem but maybe less so when it comes to their concept of power user-y stuff.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

leave adobe behind

i moved to DxO photolab a year ago and it's great

I really quite like this. UI is nicer than adobe and less jank, performance is better even with full resolution previews turned on, and the workflow seems pretty robust. Expensive but I've already spent as much on Adobe and I've only been taking photos like this for like year and a half.

tuyop posted:

Yeah I've been considering nuking my creative cloud for the Affinity stuff but I've been with Lightroom forever so that's kind of what holds me back. I'm also going to give this a go for a month and make a decision.

Designer is much harder for me to wrap my head around than Illustrator though, for whatever reason.

How is affinity photo these days?

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 21, 2023

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Microsoft changed the print dialogue in the latest version of word for Mac and now I can't print a4 pages at a3 to make easy posters out of any document. :tif:
Unless they just hid the "Scale to fit selected paper" option that word used to have somewhere else...

Edit: the option is still there, but it just prints the a4 sheet small in the centre of the a3 sheet.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 25, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

How is affinity photo these days?

I downloaded the preview years ago and just didn’t open it, I think. Most of my edits are in LRC and I was doing a lot more illustrator stuff at the time

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Is the feature to rotate between a few wallpapers still missing?

Love just how bad the new settings is still

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

The best one is the hidden one built into macOS. It works flawlessly.

In Finder, hit Go -> Connect to Server, then type vnc://[your server’s IP or hostname.]

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Hello smart folks. How can I change the setting for the macOS screen capture thumbnail from appearing in the lower-right-hand corner to the lower-left-hand corner (or any other location)?

When my laptop is hooked up to my 30" display —it's really far away (mousing over) to grab it/work on it before it autosaves. Especially when screenshotting a Zoom meeting, (using my camera on my laptop). Lower-left-hand corner would be very close by. Is it in a plist? Or somewhere else as a preference?
TIA. :tipshat:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Djimi posted:

Hello smart folks. How can I change the setting for the macOS screen capture thumbnail from appearing in the lower-right-hand corner to the lower-left-hand corner (or any other location)?

When my laptop is hooked up to my 30" display —it's really far away (mousing over) to grab it/work on it before it autosaves. Especially when screenshotting a Zoom meeting, (using my camera on my laptop). Lower-left-hand corner would be very close by. Is it in a plist? Or somewhere else as a preference?
TIA. :tipshat:

There's an option for it — completely logically, you find it under Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Screenshots.
Look for the “Screenshot and recording options” (I think the default is Shift-Cmd-5), and press that shortcut.

You activate get one of the screen shot/recording options but also, you get a small bar where you can actually change the options, including thumbnail display.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Tippis posted:

There's an option for it — completely logically, you find it under Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Screenshots.
Look for the “Screenshot and recording options” (I think the default is Shift-Cmd-5), and press that shortcut.

You activate get one of the screen shot/recording options but also, you get a small bar where you can actually change the options, including thumbnail display.
Thank you - that got me closer, but ⌘+Shift+4 (what I use), can be sent to Preview directly, but the floating thumbnail window - how do I change the anchor point ?
:psyduck:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't have a Mac any more but for some reason I think you can drag the thumbnail while it's on screen and it will be remembered

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple announced macOS 14 Sonoma earlier today.

These are the machines it can run on:

iMac 2019 or later
iMac Pro 2017
MacBook Air 2018 or later
MacBook Pro 2018 or later
Mac Pro 2019 or later
Mac Studio 2022 or later
Mac mini 2018 or later

So it looks like with the exception of iMac Pros, 2017 Macs can't go any farther than Ventura.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I know no-one here knows, but I do wonder how much longer the Intel Macs will get current macOS releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nexxai posted:

I've tried every remote desktop-ish client available and the only one that doesn't offend my vision is Royal TSX (https://www.royalapps.com) and is free for under 10 saved connections I think.

We use RealVNC at work, their Viewer app is free and doesn't nag about anything. The performance is really good, better than any open source VNC client I've tried. I've got my headless media Mini connected from Win11 right now.