Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
never let rotor see failed boots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

javastations.

I really love this era of industrial design.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i worked in a computer shop during the dell plastic clamshell case era. gently caress off

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

according to wikipedia it used a lot of the case parts from a mr coffee lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

:clint:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

according to wikipedia it used a lot of the case parts from a mr coffee lmao

OH CMON

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

told mom i wanted a playstation and i got this javastation

why play useless video games on a playstation when you could prepare for a lucrative career in enterprise software with the javastation?!?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

There were several models of the JavaStation produced, some being pre-production variants produced in very small numbers.

Production models comprised:

JavaStation-1 (part number JJ-xx), codenamed Mr. Coffee: based on a 110 MHz MicroSPARC IIe CPU, this was housed in a cuboidal Sun "unidisk" enclosure.
JavaStation-NC or JavaStation-10 (part number JK-xx) codenamed Krups: a redesigned Mr. Coffee with a 100 MHz MicroSPARC IIep CPU and enhanced video resolution and color capabilities. Krups was housed in a striking curved vertically oriented enclosure.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

OHHHHHHH

ok i get it, i only read the last part

its a redesigned model of the original, which was code named Mr Coffee

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I regret my error

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

me too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

i wasnt into it

the first modem we got was a 56k in that style, dark blue with a bulge on the side for no reason

and it (being a lovely modem) was poo poo, so thats what i associate with that style. cheap plastic garbage.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
back then i wanted a sgi workstation so badly, just because the case was cool

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wish https://cari.institute had more industrial design instead of 90% graphic.

there was a lot of that smooth injection molded plastic esp in blue/marine/purple colors and with maybe a orange dot and absolutely some wavy grills or a bulge like a pipe ran through it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

rotor posted:

why play useless video games on a playstation when you could prepare for a lucrative career in enterprise software with the javastation?!?

I'm logging on to javaspace!

or I will if I ever manage to boot it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

These boots were made for failin, and that’s just what they’ll do

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

javastations.

they were these little boxes where i guess they were dumb terminals but also only ran java applications???

like i am on record as saying Java is Fine but these things were awful

i was a TA and one of my duties was to monitor a lab that had like 20 of these and the entire year I never saw one finish booting.

these are neat. what is that port protruding out from the back between the DB-9 and whatever is occluded and the PS/2 from above?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
given that it has two holes in it, it might just be for you to chain up your javastation to stop anyone stealing it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i worked in a computer shop during the dell plastic clamshell case era. gently caress off

man i don't care if they were hard to work on or cut your hands or whatever. i love the look. sometimes style is painful.

the aesthetic is a very specific transitional period between the sharp edges and bold colors of the 1980s and the bubbly chrome of the early 2000s. you have complex sculpted surfaces connected with hard chines instead of smooth transitions. muted "professional" versions of the garish 80s hues -- teal, deep purple, warm orange. deliberate surface detailing in contrast to the false minimalism of later years. embossed logos and text. chunky parting lines and finely roughened surface finishes.

it was only really applied to electronics and only for five years or so. boy i miss it

Carthag Tuek posted:

i wish https://cari.institute had more industrial design instead of 90% graphic.

i agree

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also i'm not using imgur anymore but boy postimages.org is super slow. anyone have any alternate recommendatons

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

also i'm not using imgur anymore but boy postimages.org is super slow. anyone have any alternate recommendatons

imagebb?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the green lcd display is a great look and should return

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

Would not mind figuring out some javascript snippet + nginx module config that lets me rightclick -> upload to my little digitalocean box

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

really? that's been my go-to, i dont find it slow at all. i wonder where the issue lies

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Been using imgbox for some years myself, it's slightly cumbersome because you need to strip off the <a href> each time you post the generated html/bbcode, so your image is not clickable to their ad-filled site, but otherwise it's serviceable

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“we have a computer at home”

the computer at home:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I've been using the forums attachment thing more often. works deece.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Glorgnole posted:

I've been using the forums attachment thing more often. works deece.

absolute horror poo poo

lmfao

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

spanned rars and nested archives within archives.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pars are cool tho

Mantle
May 15, 2004

rotor posted:

pars are cool tho

Seriously, this poo poo was the best thing ever in the small window of time where it was relevant. It was so awesome to have a single par file be able to replace ANY one missing file from the set.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
pre:
 < )
 ( \
  X
8===D

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

One of the BUBBLEGUM CRISIS team flies head-first into a snowbank

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mantle posted:

Seriously, this poo poo was the best thing ever in the small window of time where it was relevant. It was so awesome to have a single par file be able to replace ANY one missing file from the set.

Non-usenet luser identified :ovr:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, they're still par for the course on usenet

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

One of the BUBBLEGUM CRISIS team flies head-first into a snowbank

:haibrow:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
they're called the Knight Sabers!

god!!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0h8wWlBxY0

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

winmodems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

they were actually an "epic fail" if you ask me