Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I found the ones who carry it are only “KPrepublic” but if you cop it from their eBay store it costs like $50 less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Still cost a grip though

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Love the feel of my Corsair K95 platinum cherry and the six macro keys it has but I use it at work with my stupid windows box computer it connects with not one but two USB cables. A non starter for my home setup with a crapple M1 and dual monitors. They don’t seem to make a Bluetooth version of the same keyboard? In fact all their Bluetooth ones are cheaper and look like junk? What’s a mechanical Bluetooth cherry board with macro keys I can cop?

E : looks like mine is older cuz I got it used on amazon. The newest version still uses TWO usb but this time they are USB 3.0 why the heck does it need 2 USBs? and then the passthrough is a USB 2.0 :rolleyes: what the heck.

E whatever I copped it again as a refurb and will put it through my USB dock thing. If its crap back it goes. What keycaps to cop?

E3: rofl, copped Domikey Hush keycap set

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MuadDib Atreides fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 21, 2023

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is plastic better than wood case for sound?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

teraflame posted:

Is plastic better than wood case for sound?

I would imagine the acoustics of wood can’t be topped op

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
They dont make violins out of plastic!

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is Domikey a reputable keycap manufacturer? I’m interested in some of their sets but have been burned before by manufacturers in their price range.

Domikey is excellent OP. Have a look at my keyboard earlier in the thread. I just copped the Hush color way as well for my incoming keyboard. I didn’t realize you can order direct from their website and ordered from a junk eBay site.

How could a 130$ double shot keycap set possibly be bad? Absolutely top of the line.

MuadDib Atreides fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 21, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MuadDib Atreides posted:

They dont make violins out of plastic!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Domikey is excellent OP. Have a look at my keyboard earlier in the thread. I just copped the Hush color way as well for my incoming keyboard. I didn’t realize you can order direct from their website and ordered from a junk eBay site.

How could a 130$ double shot keycap set possibly be bad? Absolutely top of the line.

Make sure to give your wrist a good flick when tossing fat stacks of cash at the strip club

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Make sure to give your wrist a good flick when tossing fat stacks of cash at the strip club

Heh all I have is a refurbed k95 and one on the way each with domikeys. Costs a grip but it’s where I spend a grip of time as well.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Heh all I have is a refurbed k95 and one on the way each with domikeys. Costs a grip but it’s where I spend a grip of time as well.

Anyone able to translate?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Anyone able to translate?

Spending extra money on things you use all the time is a good use of resources.

The Gallows
Aug 10, 2007

Yip-yip-yip-yip... Uh-huh.

Deviant posted:

Any thoughts on the Keychron Q3?

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9237

seems to tick all my boxes

I have been watching /mechmarket for a Q3 for a couple of months now but now I'm intrigued by maybe a Ducky One 3. I'm planning to use for work but also might be willing to retire my Corsair K70 because I have been finding myself wanting more mouse space for gaming.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

Spending extra money on things you use all the time is a good use of resources.

Yup

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Yeesh the Domikey hush set I just copped is available from Amazon with faster shipping and better returns than the Domikey site itself. Probably check Amazon first

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Gallows posted:

I have been watching /mechmarket for a Q3 for a couple of months now but now I'm intrigued by maybe a Ducky One 3. I'm planning to use for work but also might be willing to retire my Corsair K70 because I have been finding myself wanting more mouse space for gaming.

I quite liked the 60% version of the K70 if you don't mind the lack of arrow keys (and it's on sale right now)

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I have a question for people who are more knowledgeable. Does anyone know if scissor switches, or reducing key travel, is beneficial for finger ergonomics? Or if going with lighter switches helps more? I love my gamakay phoenix switches for both having a lighter spring weight, smaller than normal key travel length, plus silicone sound dampeners for both silencing typing noises and making bottoming out gentler on my fingers, but I'm wondering if there are ways to be better. I heard people recommend the Apple magic keyboard, and I was wondering if I was on the right track. Heck, I even saw a charming low-profile membrane keyboard at the dollar store that didn't seem too bad.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

god please help me posted:

I have a question for people who are more knowledgeable. Does anyone know if scissor switches, or reducing key travel, is beneficial for finger ergonomics? Or if going with lighter switches helps more? I love my gamakay phoenix switches for both having a lighter spring weight, smaller than normal key travel length, plus silicone sound dampeners for both silencing typing noises and making bottoming out gentler on my fingers, but I'm wondering if there are ways to be better. I heard people recommend the Apple magic keyboard, and I was wondering if I was on the right track. Heck, I even saw a charming low-profile membrane keyboard at the dollar store that didn't seem too bad.

I think a lot of it will depend on the person. In general, human hands and arms are built to grab and hold and pull, so pushing down with the fingers isn't a bad motion. The ergonomic trouble tends to be more with having our wrists bent which is why a wrist rest and good typing position is helpful to avoid carpal tunnel issues. A lower keyboard may help with that, but I don't think the travel of the key itself is as much of a big deal as where it puts the key height. There's a lot of variables here with seat height, desk height, etc. Everyone's a little bit differently shaped and has different desk setups so there's no one answer, and there may also be prior injury consideration. Maybe one person has hurt their wrist before and more finger travel aggravates their condition.

There's a good selection of low travel keyswitches now from scissor switches to the low profile mechanicals so it's worth a try if you think it might be good for you. I don't use it as my primary keyboard but I like the Logitech G915 TKL I have. They use Kailh low profile choc switches, but some less expensive keyboards also do.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Ah that's fair! I still think my dream switch for mechanical keyboards would be one that could fit in the current sockets and which uses scissor switches at the same time, but maybe I should be exploring lighter weight switches instead. Thankfully the wrist rest I have is pretty good imo. It's an akko Monet's Pond wrist rest that I do recommend for anyone still looking for something nice. Thank you for the insightful post and keyboard recommendations. :)

The Gallows
Aug 10, 2007

Yip-yip-yip-yip... Uh-huh.
Any hot Memorial Weekend sales? I got birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and looking at a Ducky One 3 TKL.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Don’t order from Domikey itself. Takes a grip of time to come from china. If I had ordered from Amazon I would already be clacking away.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Best Buy has a promotion going on right now where if you recycle/trade in any PC peripheral, you get 20% off a Logitech device.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech/earth-day/pcmcat1649080616911.c?id=pcmcat1649080616911

Used it to grab the G915 lightspeed for about 160ish which was a pretty sweet discount since it's already on sale for 192.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logite...p?skuId=6360844

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Well my Domikey Hush should be in tomorrow and I copped this little number as a wrist rest for my logitech lightspeed mouse. Looks that the home setup is about to be on fleek when it arrives monday

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Handsome Ralph posted:

Best Buy has a promotion going on right now where if you recycle/trade in any PC peripheral, you get 20% off a Logitech device.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech/earth-day/pcmcat1649080616911.c?id=pcmcat1649080616911

Used it to grab the G915 lightspeed for about 160ish which was a pretty sweet discount since it's already on sale for 192.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logite...p?skuId=6360844

any advantage to this little number? I'm a Corsair K95 man myself

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
In my experience a mouse wristrest just encourages keeping your arm planted and rotating your wrist for mouse movement, which is ergonomically bad, and I'm glad I got rid of mine. You really want to be keeping your wrist straight while moving the rest of your arm.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

runawayturtles posted:

In my experience a mouse wristrest just encourages keeping your hand planted and rotating your wrist for mouse movement, which is ergonomically bad, and I'm glad I got rid of mine. You really want to be keeping your wrist straight while moving the rest of your arm.

Thats insane OP. The Biceps Brachii et al are hardly meant for small movements

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I actually looked into getting a wrist wrest about two weeks ago, and my doctor recommended against them. I hosed up the tendon in my right wrist just below my thumb enough that I needed to go to urgent care and get steroid shots and all that jazz, and I asked about it then. They said to just lower my keyboard (fair, I almost always use the feet but I've been just fine with those folded down) and just take plenty of breaks. Apparently using wrist wrests can cause pressure on the tendons and exacerbate issues.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
well now my wrist is rested on the bare desk so that plush little pig is going to be a big step up OP.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm kinda interested in a Keychron but man is their website terrible. How do I know the difference between a Q5 and Q6? There are a million different keyboards and basically nothing that seems to differentiate them to the uninitiated.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm kinda interested in a Keychron but man is their website terrible. How do I know the difference between a Q5 and Q6? There are a million different keyboards and basically nothing that seems to differentiate them to the uninitiated.

It's the layout. The Q5 is squished and the Q6 is full size.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have a possibly silly question: Do keyboard switches "wear out"? I understand they last for effectively forever before they're rendered unusable, but I've had my current KBD67 Lite + Gazzew Boba U4 Silent for about two years now, and I suddenly had the urge to buy new switches. I'm not sure if because the feel has been significantly hampered or (my guess) I'm bored of this combination and would like to switch to something else.

Also, if you have any satisfying sound but still soft switches to recommend, I'm all ears. It can't be too loud because my cat likes to sleep next to me (my old keeb with MX Browns woke her up all the time) but I think something..."creamy*" might be okay?

* Apologies if this is the wrong term; I like keebs but am not super into the scene/terminology

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jeff Fatwood posted:

It's the layout. The Q5 is squished and the Q6 is full size.
I don’t mean those two specifically. I mean that the company offers literally dozens of keyboards and I have no idea how to choose one and by all appearances the company is not really interested in helping me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Artelier posted:

I have a possibly silly question: Do keyboard switches "wear out"? I understand they last for effectively forever before they're rendered unusable, but I've had my current KBD67 Lite + Gazzew Boba U4 Silent for about two years now, and I suddenly had the urge to buy new switches. I'm not sure if because the feel has been significantly hampered or (my guess) I'm bored of this combination and would like to switch to something else.

Also, if you have any satisfying sound but still soft switches to recommend, I'm all ears. It can't be too loud because my cat likes to sleep next to me (my old keeb with MX Browns woke her up all the time) but I think something..."creamy*" might be okay?

* Apologies if this is the wrong term; I like keebs but am not super into the scene/terminology

I think they can get a little worn down over time. I bought a used Cherry point of sale keyboard a long time ago and it'd definitely been used a lot for certain things because the letter keys felt really bad but the FKeys and some of the other keys that had likely never been used felt like normal browns. I've been using the MX greens in my current keyboard for 10 years or so and the box navies feel heavier.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm a fingertip mouser and keep my wrist planted, never really had any issues with stress. All my wrist discomfort from typing is on my left hand. I do have a bunch of these to use, since my desk has terrible ergonomics. They look a little goofy, but they're great if you don't have good typing posture. I just leave it on most of the day, even when I'm in the office, works a treat.

https://wristdonut.com/

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I don’t mean those two specifically. I mean that the company offers literally dozens of keyboards and I have no idea how to choose one and by all appearances the company is not really interested in helping me.

At least as far as the different series, there's:

C: Wired
K: Wireless
C Pro: Wired, QMK
K Pro: Wireless, QMK
Q: Wired, QMK, higher quality
Q Pro: Wireless, QMK, higher quality

I'm not sure what's special about the V series as they seem to be just more wired QMK boards, though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thank you, it is incredibly hard to figure that out from their website.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

i vomit kittens posted:

At least as far as the different series, there's:

C: Wired
K: Wireless
C Pro: Wired, QMK
K Pro: Wireless, QMK
Q: Wired, QMK, higher quality
Q Pro: Wireless, QMK, higher quality

I'm not sure what's special about the V series as they seem to be just more wired QMK boards, though.

The V series boards are plastic versions of the Q line

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the V series is also differenced by having multi-stage feet to adjust the typing angle, unlike the Q series (and most other aluminium boards)

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Also by being tray mounted instead of gasket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Hush Keycap set came thru