Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
but, also, macs don't play games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the M1 Max gets 1080p60 in tears of the kingdom

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

the M1 Max gets 1080p60 in tears of the kingdom

ban for :filez:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
all my instincts are telling me not to fall for a pvp extraction shooter but… it’s bungie and marathon. I have to at least give it a chance to show gameplay

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't know what an extraction shooter is. like a tower defense game where you fight off waves of enemies while waiting for extraction?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

haveblue posted:

all my instincts are telling me not to fall for a pvp extraction shooter but… it’s bungie and marathon. I have to at least give it a chance to show gameplay

naw

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

i don't know what an extraction shooter is. like a tower defense game where you fight off waves of enemies while waiting for extraction?
apparently its what theyre calling "looter shooters" now

skinner box games where you play levels on the 1-in-25 chance that at the end there will drop a piece of equipment that will let you upgrade your +72 left shoulder pad to a +73 left shoulder pad

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

no you extract loot from the level, and after you collect 1000 pfhor hunter helmets, you can trade them in for a different colored boots

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah, the standard example is escape from tarkov. you get dropped in a large area along with some enemy players. you collect your 10 hunter helmets or whatever. then you have to get to the extraction point and leave before any other player catches you. if you get killed before getting there you lose the hunter helmets

you might say this sounds like it could be incredibly aggravating to get ganked and lose a valuable loot and a lot of time. it is! that’s why people hate games like this

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 25, 2023

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
aren’t extraction shooters where you lay down on a milking table and

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:catstare:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:filez: is praxis

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

bungie is a ship of theseus at this point. they don’t have any of the original staff anymore. It’s just another microsoft company. i think the rest of the original bungie staff started 343 studios or something.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

IUG posted:

bungie is a ship of theseus at this point. they don’t have any of the original staff anymore. It’s just another microsoft company. i think the rest of the original bungie staff started 343 studios or something.

sony company, microsoft cut them loose, they went to activision, they cut themselves loose from activision and then got bought by sony. 343 was microsoft making a studio to just make halo games after getting rid of bungie, the same way they created the coalition to make gears of war after epic got bored of it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

it's where they extract more money from you with microtransactions

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

they extract money from your wallet

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I'm sorry to say I bought two copies of totk then :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

it's a company called bungie making a game called marathon, neither one has anything to do with the ones you're probably thinking of.

whatever, no one under 35 is even aware of what marathon was, so while they're re-using IP they own, it's hard to call it nostalgia bait

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

infernal machines posted:

it's a company called bungie making a game called marathon, neither one has anything to do with the ones you're probably thinking of.

whatever, no one under 35 is even aware of what marathon was, so while they're re-using IP they own, it's hard to call it nostalgia bait

they are after the Mandalore vids

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

goblin week posted:

they are after the Mandalore vids

Even still, the original marathon games sucked rear end and look bad, who’s clamouring for a return

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Armitag3 posted:

Even still, the original marathon games sucked rear end and look bad, who’s clamouring for a return
k

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ruffian Price posted:

Same. One copy for my nephews. They love the game though so it’s cool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Armitag3 posted:

wrong, many people

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

Same. One copy for my nephews. They love the game though so it’s cool.
the M1 simply runs it too well, if I am to accurately judge the game it needs to be the intended performance, warts and all. it's almost unsettling how smooth it is on a mac.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theres a mac version? badass

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ruffian Price posted:

the M1 simply runs it too well, if I am to accurately judge the game it needs to be the intended performance, warts and all. it's almost unsettling how smooth it is on a mac.

it's funny how many people low key hosed themselves over playing BOTW at 60 fps, because moar frames!!!!!. the game's physics engine doesn't actually work right at 60fps, and a whole bunch of the puzzles break. i'm going to assume it's the same with tears of the kingdom

it's like the boat at the end of the liberty island level in deus ex

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 26, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

theres a mac version? badass

no its :filez: and the switch is slow enough its "easy" to emulate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the switch is an android tablet with a slightly nicer than usual gpu, so yeah

so simple even a mac can do it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
it doesn't run android but yeah it's on par with a tablet from 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i see.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

true, but if i say "android tablet" you know exactly what i'm describing hardware wise

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i don't think it's quite fair to say it's on par with a tablet from 2016 even if that's how old the chip is because it runs a good bit better than anything that isn't an ipad, and probably on par.

i will say it's really showing its age though, there are definitely parts of totk where you get noticeable framerate drops even when docked

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people keep trying to will into being a more powerful switch and nintendo is like “what? sorry, can’t hear you over the sound of this money printing machine”

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

i don't think it's quite fair to say it's on par with a tablet from 2016 even if that's how old the chip is because it runs a good bit better than anything that isn't an ipad, and probably on par.

i will say it's really showing its age though, there are definitely parts of totk where you get noticeable framerate drops even when docked

it was actually released in march 2017, but the tegra X1 was already kinda old by the time they actually released it. you could buy tablets with it in 2015 so i split the difference

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

people keep trying to will into being a more powerful switch and nintendo is like “what? sorry, can’t hear you over the sound of this money printing machine”

they could do something similar to the gc/wii/wii u where they keep optimizing the underlying architecture and software for quite a while if they wanted to and it would probably have fewer roadblocks than 32-bit ppc

e: assuming nvidia would too

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's really slow and outdated but nintendo writes good software

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

beyond wanting a smoother frame rate i don't really have any complaints about switch games. they look fine, good even

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the switch isn't burdened with running android is the main thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ruffian Price posted:

weirdly enough paying for games usually leads to a better user experience, unlike say paying for tv or movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Beeftweeter posted:

it can though, but not well which again, android tablet