Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

YF-23 posted:

Worth noting that the current player revolt over the economy is probably going to lead to some sort of major revision of the game economy in the coming months. In a blogpost from today they stated the intent to provide a roadmap for what that will look like on June 14. https://warthunder.com/en/news/8264/current/

I genuinely have no idea what they're going to do here. It's not like they can just throw up their hands and say that everything is now 20% to buy and 20% faster to earn without blowing up their actual business plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Captain Stalin posted:

I genuinely have no idea what they're going to do here. It's not like they can just throw up their hands and say that everything is now 20% to buy and 20% faster to earn without blowing up their actual business plan.

Actually they probably could to some extent. They’ve gradually made SL and RP income for tanks (and naval :nallears: ) worse for years now, at the same time as the game has gained a massive increase in player base. There’s the typical problem of a bunch of those players not being the type to bother going on forums or Reddit or Twitter and they’ll never know about any of this dissatisfaction but I think WT probably has a higher percentage of highly engaged (and insanely cynical) players than the average MP game.

The proposed boycotts are a joke of course but the WT premium vehicle structure means that if they actually did piss off the the tens of thousands of people who bother posting outside the game, it would actually cut into that pretty hard. They could bring SL and RP back up to not-basically-predatory levels of income and probably continue to do absolutely fine.

The question now is is Gaijin even capable of that. The only ‘feedback’ they ever listen to is vehicle reports and even those only the ones they agree with. None of the previous uproars by the player base have actually resulted in major changes, they just tweak a few things and it mostly mollifies people enough to back off.

I don’t think Gaijin is actually capable of admitting they’re wrong enough to meaningfully reverse course here, they’re going to view the review bombing and stuff as an attack or betrayal and dig in, while trying to gaslight people into believing whatever one step forward two steps back thing they come up with.

This post sounds a little more rant-y than I really intended, I’m not mad at Gaijin so much as just wholly unsurprised by their response so far.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

YF-23 posted:

Golden Eagles and if you progress down the battle pass enough to open tier 4 of the warbond shop, you can get one random bush from a crate every other battle pass (they alternate between bushes and other decorations).

It is somewhat early in the BP but not so early that you would be reaching 125 if you started now. 75 should be doable though. At that level you'd keep the vehicles for yourself instead of trading them away, though. But as Famethrowa said, the SL contained in the BP are good - if you pay in and go all the way up to 75 they give out something like 1.8million SL. Which, again, might not be all that relevant depending on the economy rework.

Well, its relevant to me right now since i need the lions :D

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The thing to remember when it comes to Gaijin and how much of a gently caress they give for the community is that a few years back they literally extorted people's accounts. Immediately after the big summer sale they did a ban wave, including people who bought product keys from a key store that had a logo in-game because Gaijin sold through them officially.
They then posted on the third party community sites that people could email Gaijin and make an offer to get their account back. Knowing that people would probably pay not to lose the money they just spent in the sale, and also knowing that they couldn't get away with just straight up demanding a ransom as official policy through their own site.

That company doesn't give a flying gently caress about anything other than money, and they'll do any scummy thing they can to get it from the customers. I sincerely doubt they'll do anything to actually improve things. They'll just try and tighten the screw more slowly.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Nationalize Gaijin imo (or make an actual competitor game)

Also one of the popular War Thunder youtubers, Spookston, apparently paid a few hundred bucks for various documents to prove facts about some of the vehicles in the game and Gaijin just flat out ignored them :lol:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

there is also uh...this

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/war-thunder-mired-controversy-advertiser-sponsors-pro-russian-militant

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Nationalize Gaijin imo (or make an actual competitor game)

I still kind of wonder where WWIIOL would be now if they'd had this kind of money.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Madurai posted:

I still kind of wonder where WWIIOL would be now if they'd had this kind of money.

They’re actually attempting the upgrade/remake to UE4 they’ve been talking about for years, though I don’t think UE4 is capable of handling the scale of WW2OL so, you know, we’ll see how that ends up.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cimber posted:

BTW, is buying the battle pass for 2K or 2.5K eagles worth it?

As other posters indicated, if you play a lot, yes. Save your BP shop warbucks for the end of season (aside from buying the Special Missions for 30 warbucks, they give you a lot more BP progress) and use them to buy a shitload of universal backups. I'm sitting on 60 of them from last season.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kesper North posted:

As other posters indicated, if you play a lot, yes. Save your BP shop warbucks for the end of season (aside from buying the Special Missions for 30 warbucks, they give you a lot more BP progress) and use them to buy a shitload of universal backups. I'm sitting on 60 of them from last season.

Ok now i need to figure out where special missions are.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cimber posted:

Ok now i need to figure out where special missions are.

Open the warbuck store by clicking on the shopping cart icon on the top right, select Warbond Shop. You're looking for the item called Special Task. They're the very first item in the very first row, upper-left corner of the grid. Cost is 30 warbucks.

They're effectively the same mode-specific missions as the dailies, just with higher completion requirements.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 24, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kesper North posted:

Open the warbuck store by clicking on the shopping cart icon on the top right, select Warbond Shop. You're looking for the item called Special Task. They're the very first item in the very first row, upper-left corner of the grid. Cost is 30 warbucks.

They're effectively the same mode-specific missions as the dailies, just with higher completion requirements.

Ahh, i have not completed a daily medium yet. Because I suck at the game :D

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’ve completely forgotten where squadron vehicles live now. It use to pop up a little window telling me to invest but now who knows what the hell it’s doing

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It basically works the same, except now whatever squad vehicle you have chosen automatically soaks up the squad RP. The little pop-up only comes up once you've completed your current vehicle. You can still change from the Research window though, I think.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Captain Stalin posted:

Can't they? Even with a premium vehicle and premium account, it takes hundreds of hours to grind to top tier jets, with breaks to just farm silver lions and actually buy the vehicles inbetween.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Orv posted:

Actually they probably could to some extent. They’ve gradually made SL and RP income for tanks (and naval :nallears: ) worse for years now, at the same time as the game has gained a massive increase in player base. There’s the typical problem of a bunch of those players not being the type to bother going on forums or Reddit or Twitter and they’ll never know about any of this dissatisfaction but I think WT probably has a higher percentage of highly engaged (and insanely cynical) players than the average MP game.

The proposed boycotts are a joke of course but the WT premium vehicle structure means that if they actually did piss off the the tens of thousands of people who bother posting outside the game, it would actually cut into that pretty hard. They could bring SL and RP back up to not-basically-predatory levels of income and probably continue to do absolutely fine.

The question now is is Gaijin even capable of that. The only ‘feedback’ they ever listen to is vehicle reports and even those only the ones they agree with. None of the previous uproars by the player base have actually resulted in major changes, they just tweak a few things and it mostly mollifies people enough to back off.

I don’t think Gaijin is actually capable of admitting they’re wrong enough to meaningfully reverse course here, they’re going to view the review bombing and stuff as an attack or betrayal and dig in, while trying to gaslight people into believing whatever one step forward two steps back thing they come up with.

This post sounds a little more rant-y than I really intended, I’m not mad at Gaijin so much as just wholly unsurprised by their response so far.

Player protests are usually jokes (and we've had our share of cringelords trying to hijack this and make it some Communist Weeaboo movement, which was shut down pretty quickly) but I think the fact that we have tens of thousands of players from all of the communities revolting over the exact same thing shows how widespread the problem is and being able to get Gaijin's attention like this provides a window to address more things than just the economy.

I don't really have much sway but I proposed they demand some kind of liason be appointed that can serve as a human red telephone between the community and the dev team, because next time Gaijin pull some bullshit it won't be feasible to muster a player reaction like this again.

But really, barring some major change at the executive level there's little chance much will actually change, the best we can hope for is having something in place to counter it every time it happens, because Gaijin have mastered the art of PR and fooling the player base into accepting their bullshit piece by piece.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cimber posted:

BTW, is buying the battle pass for 2K or 2.5K eagles worth it?

2.5k, if you want the centurion?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GrossMurpel posted:

Can't they? Even with a premium vehicle and premium account, it takes hundreds of hours to grind to top tier jets, with breaks to just farm silver lions and actually buy the vehicles inbetween.

Yeah, I've been playing this game since 2015 or 2016 and with almost 10k hours in it I'm not even close to unlocking everything. Even with a premium account and using premium vehicles fairly often, I've only ever completed two trees, Japanese air and ground, and those have since had newer vehicles added to them I've not unlocked yet. So progress is already effectively throttled by research, so what does SL do for me, a paying player? It just adds something to stress about. I don't think that's what you want your game experience to be for the people that put money into your f2p game. I still think that the current balance for fully free accounts isn't horrible - anything up to maybe low tier 4 is viable - but the game's focus has clearly been shifting to modern vehicles and I think that people who are getting into WT for the WW2 era vehicles are a progressively more marginal portion of the playerbase.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I'll be honest, most of the top tier stuff I've played (in RB jets) is either simply not any real *fun* or I could just fly in DCS with all the mods "unlocked" for an upfront price. I don't have the time to grind through broken BR ratings like I used to due to having a job/family and the cost-benefit of paying my way isn't there, especially as even if I got the tip top equipment I'd still need to grind SLs to afford to play them!

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
It's not a question of technical feasibility, it's that you're never going to get an executive to agree to cut into an existing revenue stream just for goodwill reasons. They don't have meaningful competition and the game's playerbase is growing, so the whalehunting will continue after some mild rejigerring so the PR can pretend they are doing something.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Kafouille posted:

It's not a question of technical feasibility, it's that you're never going to get an executive to agree to cut into an existing revenue stream just for goodwill reasons. They don't have meaningful competition and the game's playerbase is growing, so the whalehunting will continue after some mild rejigerring so the PR can pretend they are doing something.

This too. Anyone who lived through the MWO days knows as long as the company is making money they rarely give two fucks about playerbase complaints; especially as most players rarely engage with the game outside of booting it up.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Maybe they'll follow MWOs lead and replace modules with a skill web of hundreds of 1% bonuses.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Did they buff the AIM-54?

I ran three matches with the F-14 having 4 AIM-54s and came away with 3 kills each time.

I'd just climb to 5000ish meters, and fire each of them off at a different target.

I've never had much success with these, nor ever any trouble dodging them, but ran them on a lark and was very surprised at the results.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Captain Stalin posted:

Did they buff the AIM-54?

They did, last week or week before iirc

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Just saw my first nuke!

....which killed me just as I was about to get a side shot on a tiger II. :/

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

BadOptics posted:

I'll be honest, most of the top tier stuff I've played (in RB jets) is either simply not any real *fun* or I could just fly in DCS with all the mods "unlocked" for an upfront price. I don't have the time to grind through broken BR ratings like I used to due to having a job/family and the cost-benefit of paying my way isn't there, especially as even if I got the tip top equipment I'd still need to grind SLs to afford to play them!

The props are where it is at. Playing a Zero and turn fighting everyone is the best. Haven’t had as much fun with the US line as I thought I would—BnZ doesn’t do it for me. Will have to try the Brits next, Spitfires seem crazy good.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Vengarr posted:

The props are where it is at. Playing a Zero and turn fighting everyone is the best. Haven’t had as much fun with the US line as I thought I would—BnZ doesn’t do it for me. Will have to try the Brits next, Spitfires seem crazy good.

Oh yeah, props is where it's at but I've 1) been playing them for years and 2) now that all the nations are just smashed together there's no real strategic part to the game anymore (oh, I'm US against Japan at X BR, I need to do Y). What's even more confusing is that I could see the point of smashing them together if the player base was shrinking but supposedly it's been growing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think my peak fun so far is the MCLOS missiles on the SK60B, they're goofy as gently caress to use but nothing like that exists at 7.0 in ground rb so people don't expect it

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

BadOptics posted:

Oh yeah, props is where it's at but I've 1) been playing them for years and 2) now that all the nations are just smashed together there's no real strategic part to the game anymore (oh, I'm US against Japan at X BR, I need to do Y). What's even more confusing is that I could see the point of smashing them together if the player base was shrinking but supposedly it's been growing.

Why does facing more countries remove the strategy? You just have to adjust to whatever nations you're going against in that game.

And there's always Sim mode.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Regarding props and newer players, if you haven't already you should seriously check out the Bf 109. In my view its the best and most enjoyable line of planes overall to fly, as I'm all about energy fighting.

The earlier models can be a bit underwhelming as their firepower isn't brilliant and its a few models down the line before cannons start to appear, but in fairness this is something common to most planes in the game at this point. The first really good 109 is the F4, as thats the first one to feature the 20mm MG 151 motorcannon. Later models come with the option to take the 30mm Mk 108 motorcannon, which has limited ammo and poor muzzle velocity, but makes one hell of a bang when you hit something.

Climb rate and energy retention are superb, but what makes the Bf 109 really shine is how it has a relatively high top speed and doesn't suffer much from compression, which allows for some flexibility in the tactics you can employ. I typically boom and zoom ground attack aircraft and engage fighters in vertical dogfights. Generally speaking if you are above your opponents and are disciplined with your energy management, you can take on anything you encounter at your BR range and come out on top.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unless you're playing 5.7 and you get jumped by 6.3 BR P51-Hs, which are absolute murder machines for just about any enemy prop.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Regarding props and newer players, if you haven't already you should seriously check out the Bf 109. In my view its the best and most enjoyable line of planes overall to fly, as I'm all about energy fighting.

The earlier models can be a bit underwhelming as their firepower isn't brilliant and its a few models down the line before cannons start to appear, but in fairness this is something common to most planes in the game at this point. The first really good 109 is the F4, as thats the first one to feature the 20mm MG 151 motorcannon. Later models come with the option to take the 30mm Mk 108 motorcannon, which has limited ammo and poor muzzle velocity, but makes one hell of a bang when you hit something.

Climb rate and energy retention are superb, but what makes the Bf 109 really shine is how it has a relatively high top speed and doesn't suffer much from compression, which allows for some flexibility in the tactics you can employ. I typically boom and zoom ground attack aircraft and engage fighters in vertical dogfights. Generally speaking if you are above your opponents and are disciplined with your energy management, you can take on anything you encounter at your BR range and come out on top.

the bf109 g is a goddamn murder machine against us planes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I actually enjoy fighting the 109 in a Zero. You can bait them into a dive, do a lead turn and have a nice shot at their rear end. If they do ANYTHING but run away, they die.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The G is probably my Least favorite 109. Something about it just feels :btroll:

109K though…

109K is life.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
G-2 owns cause there are premium versions of it for that quick cash

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish that the 109 had a better rate of roll. I wish the 190 had less roll and a better elevator.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Inventing a time machine so I can go back and change the stats of planes in War Thunder

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
A marginally better strategy than getting a security clearance for the same purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Farecoal posted:

Inventing a time machine so I can go back and change the stats of planes in War Thunder

Could you give the Zero a better engine TIA