Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So just for clarification, Nintendo is only doing a DMCA against Dolphin on Steam and not the actual emulator itself, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I wondered what wikipedia had to say and lmao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrogaming posted:

The distinction between retro and modern is heavily debated, but it usually coincides with either the shift from 2D to 3D games (making the fourth the last retro generation, and the fifth the first modern), the turn of the millennium and the increase in online gaming (making the fifth the last retro generation, and the sixth the first modern), or the switch from analog to digital for audiovisual output and from 4:3 to 16:9 aspect ratio (making the sixth the last retro generation, and the seventh the first modern). They can be played on original hardware or in modern emulation. Another type of game is the retro online Multi User Dungeon or MUD. Many of these games are text based and require typing skills. They were also the precursor for famous games such as World of Warcraft. People all around the world were introduced to online gaming through Multi User Dungeons which uses a Dungeons and Dragons type system at a fast pace. Some of them are still around today. An example is Duris: Land of Bloodlust (https://www.durismud.com), that still has a player base from around the world and functions to this day since its creation in the mid 1990's, making it one of a kind online game that is still being played today. It is one of the first online PvP (player vs. player) games and if a player is killed in PvP combat, their gear is gained by the killer or killers. Another example is Toril MUD (https://www.torilmud.com) which also still functions today yet is different in that it solely focuses on PvE or Player vs. Environment. MUDs require a program to operate and players were required to purchase programs such as ZMud, however, these days a player can run Mudlet for free. If fantasy isn't the genre for a player then there are other MUDs to play, all a player would have to do is to log onto MUD Connector (https://www.mudconnector.com) to find a list.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Willo567 posted:

So just for clarification, Nintendo is only doing a DMCA against Dolphin on Steam and not the actual emulator itself, right?

I don't think it was a DMCA, it was a cease and desist letter. It was specifically to Valve though related to Dolphin's planned Steam release, not to the Dolphin devs themselves.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

If the console you have has a storage medium that can contain less than a gig, a retro system you have.
If an online store front is present (or has been at some point), retro it ain't.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

I don't think it was a DMCA, it was a cease and desist letter. It was specifically to Valve though related to Dolphin's planned Steam release, not to the Dolphin devs themselves.

Also they only did it because valve went to them and said "any problems with us putting this on steam" and valve have every right to ignore it especially as they went and asked in the first place

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I just stick with the 15 Years rule for whether a console is "retro" or not, keeps things simple

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

just seems really useless to have it be a moving target for the sake of anyone trying to categorize or discuss things

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I just stick with the 15 Years rule for whether a console is "retro" or not, keeps things simple

Yep, 15 years or two generations back.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

you retro-relativists sicken me

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

I wondered what wikipedia had to say and lmao

I love it when you find someone advertising themselves in Wikipedia articles.

Rubellavator posted:

just seems really useless to have it be a moving target for the sake of anyone trying to categorize or discuss things

That's the problem with time, it's always moving.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also it's not constantly moving, it moves roughly once every 6-7 years.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If people want Retro to equal old we need proper era category names. generations are a silly concept and Last of Us being in the same gaming subcategory as Mr. Do bothers me!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hatty posted:

If people want Retro to equal old we need proper era category names. generations are a silly concept and Last of Us being in the same gaming subcategory as Mr. Do bothers me!

I've taken to using 8-bit, 16-bit, CD, DVD and HD eras. HD era especially seems to be catching on as I've heard it in a bunch of places as people realise numbered generations sound dumb when people have to look it up to remind themselves what generation you're talking about. Meanwhile you say HD era and people immediately understand Xbox 360 and PS3. This does create a minor problem of where the gently caress do you slot the Wii, but I think people understand it as part of the PS3/X360 era even if it's not HD.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly the numbered generations aren't too hard to sort out once you get it memorized that the Famicom/NES is 3rd generation and that each successive Nintendo home console is the next generation afterwards

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly the numbered generations aren't too hard to sort out once you get it memorized that the Famicom/NES is 3rd generation and that each successive Nintendo home console is the next generation afterwards

that doesn't quite work cause nintendo released two 6th generation consoles

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hatty posted:

Yeah, Mr. Do shouldn't be shamed by being in the same category as The Last of Us.

Setting aside straight up system call outs, and the fact that console generations are stupid, I think most people are now dividing things up into broad bins. Whether it's decade, processor style, media, 3D hardware, we'll split things up into categories for convenience. Mr. Do is from the geologic era of single screen arcade games. The Last of Us is from the dark ages. Things will shake out eventually and people will paint enormous, overlapping periods of time with broad brushes that lose the fine details.

drrockso20 posted:

"Generations" as they're used to discuss game consoles are completely centered on how they were released and marketed in the US and is totally Nintendo centric. There was at least one major console released every year from the seventies until the late nineties; there are no convenience breaks or stopping points to say, "This is a generation." And if you use the common "generations" used, a lot of people released multiple generations of their own hardware in a single console "generation". Not to mention the enormous overlap that occurs; the last Famicom game was released three months before the first Playstation game, for example. Console cycles are messy and the way people use generations to refer to them is especially lovely and bad.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 28, 2023

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It would probably be better to describe things in terms of eras rather than retro/not retro.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Star Man posted:

It would probably be better to describe things in terms of eras rather than retro/not retro.

That's fair. The "Good" era ends with the SNES and the "Bad" era starts with the N64.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Retro is anything I remember fondly otherwise it’s just old poo poo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, Mr. Do shouldn't be shamed by being in the same category as The Last of Us.

Setting aside straight up system call outs, and the fact that console generations are stupid, I think most people are now dividing things up into broad bins. Whether it's decade, processor style, media, 3D hardware, we'll split things up into categories for convenience. Mr. Do is from the geologic era of single screen arcade games. The Last of Us is from the dark ages. Things will shake out eventually and people will paint enormous, overlapping periods of time with broad brushes that lose the fine details.

"Generations" as they're used to discuss game consoles are completely centered on how they were released and marketed in the US and is totally Nintendo centric. There was at least one major console released every year from the seventies until the late nineties; there are no convenience breaks or stopping points to say, "This is a generation." And if you use the common "generations" used, a lot of people released multiple generations of their own hardware in a single console "generation". Not to mention the enormous overlap that occurs; the last Famicom game was released three months before the first Playstation game, for example. Console cycles are messy and the way people use generations to refer to them is especially lovely and bad.

I dunno most of them seem to have a general technological leap between each generation(like swappable game cartridges coming into prominence in Gen 2) and yeah there often is a messy overlap between them but that's how it almost always is with generational divides in matters cultural, artistic, or technological(and that's what truly makes these kind of divisions interesting, the fact that it often isn't super clear cut)

Also I dunno about it being overly American oriented, at least going by the Wikipedia pages they often acknowledge a Japanese system as being the starting and/or ending point for a generation(like how the 3rd generation begins in 1983 with the Famicom's release and arguably only ends when Nintendo officially discontinued it in 2003 or how the 4th gen began with the PC Engine in 1987 and only really ended when the Neo Geo architecture ended in 2004)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rubellavator posted:

that doesn't quite work cause nintendo released two 6th generation consoles

Wii is a Seventh Gen console, even if it is basically just a amped up GameCube in most respects

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Mode 7 posted:

Retro is anything I remember fondly otherwise it’s just old poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

not retro: my posts

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

playing a lot of 32 bit era games because that is/is going to be the next hip retro aesthetic. I'm not retro, I'm nextro

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t wait for brown and bloom to be the next retro aesthetic

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

playing a lot of 32 bit era games because that is/is going to be the next hip retro aesthetic. I'm not retro, I'm nextro

hatty posted:

have neither of you played DUSK lmao

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

out of the ground into the sky out of the sky into the dirt

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

have neither of you played DUSK lmao

Or HROT

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

PS1 has been the hot retro aesthetic for a few years now.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think the retronauts podcast defines retro games as 10+ years old. I like that definition. It's about a generation and a half behind current gen, maybe two.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hit Retro game Grand Theft Auto 5

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And Skyrim.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

how can the rocky horror picture show be considered retro when it's still being screened every weekend?

also gently caress this derail

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I've been playing Devil's Crush and I'm suddenly very interested in virtual pinball

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

hatty posted:

I've been playing Devil's Crush and I'm suddenly very interested in virtual pinball

only problem is you've now played one of the best and nothing quite lives up to it!

Though I do really like the Doom table to Pinball FX, the Duke Nukem table in Balls of Steel and Metroid Prime Pinball

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

hatty posted:

If anyone is nostalgic for a brown game, I'll punch them.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's not retro, but yoku's island express is the best video game pinball because it's also metroid. demon's tilt, also not retro, is extremely devil's crush inspired

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

kirbysuperstar posted:

only problem is you've now played one of the best and nothing quite lives up to it!

Though I do really like the Doom table to Pinball FX, the Duke Nukem table in Balls of Steel and Metroid Prime Pinball

I tried the GBA Pokémon pinball today and it’s pretty decent. I was pretty disappointed in Dragons’s Revenge, worse aesthetic and it doesn’t flow as well as Devils’ Crush

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

it's not retro, but yoku's island express is the best video game pinball because it's also metroid. demon's tilt, also not retro, is extremely devil's crush inspired

So looking forward to the sequel XenoTilt when it hits

hatty posted:

I tried the GBA Pokémon pinball today and it’s pretty decent. I was pretty disappointed in Dragons’s Revenge, worse aesthetic and it doesn’t flow as well as Devils’ Crush

Last Gladiators for the Saturn is kind of neat for a retro option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh yeah there's also Digital Pinball Necronomicon for Saturn which also has that dude from Dream Theatre, for further satanic fun