Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there's so much about this dialog that should be against the law. i think anyway, i don't have a specific reason, because i genuinely don't understand what the buttons do.

"got it!" is microsoft's glib "dismiss this and the other 30 notifications we just popped up over the interface for the 8th time this month" option, so naturally they've made it set all the invasive tracking defaults now that they've trained people to just mash it until they can use the computer again

presumably "manage setti..." will take you to one of a dozen settings pages where everything they're warning you about has been turned on by default, and you can choose to switch it off as you find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i picked up an all in one with a couple dead pixels at an auction recently for $60. figured i’d use it for rando server things / a kitchen pc for youtube while i cook.

christ windows is loving annoying these days, especially as a new setup. legit think i’ll probably just shovel some linux distro onto it. also annoying but i can pretend i’m sticking it to the man or something

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

it's really quite impressive how they managed to make a tablet-centric UI in 11 that is worse than what they had in 8.1 for that same task in most respects

while also being generally garbage on M&KB

it's the first time I've installed software to change it back to the way it was previously, and I've use every version of windows since 95, including server ones

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

infernal machines posted:

"got it!" is microsoft's glib "dismiss this and the other 30 notifications we just popped up over the interface for the 8th time this month" option

i thought it was "bing up your rear end"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
not since balmer left

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ballmer left to play ball.

which is to say he left to pay for ball

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

no mere man or mer

but a ballmer

e: sorry for the trash popculture joke, couldn't resist

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

float like a ballmer sting like a steve

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I wish I was a little bit Ballmer

cache__
Apr 23, 2023

*pulls up to the grand canyon*

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i never thought i would miss ballmers microsoft
even vista was better than what we have now

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah, VISTA BALLS!!!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ballmer-man. baller-man!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nah the current state of windows was inevitable. microsoft's business of producing desktop operating systems and office suites has been a solved problem for about 15 years now so well you gotta do something to juice those revenue figures otherwise your investors will have the sads

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
OH BOY!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's also now a "browser essentials" button, next to the bing button, that prompts you to reset all your browser settings to the microsoft defaults

the button is made to look like the security centre indicator, and presumably it makes the "insecure" indication if you don't have all their bing integrated bullshit enabled

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

did they get the ai powered copilot for the web to write that on the go?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's frankly incredible how quickly they've hosed up edge. really seeing returns on the rapid development model

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im still trying to understand the sentence

obviously everybody has an ai-powered co-pilot for the web, but what they offer me is to take that ai-powered co-pilot for the web with me, on the go

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i assume it is a link to download edge for your phone.

it's frankly incredible how quickly they've hosed up edge. really seeing returns on the rapid development model

yeah no loving kidding. the last six months have been a whirlwind of poo poo. getting closer and closer to switching to firefox, as if that's any better

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

use all the browsers but for different things, you have the ram available

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

use all the browsers but for different things, you have the ram available

maximizing your suffering is an interesting strategy, so how long until the numbness sets in properly?

mystes
May 31, 2006

they've done a good job of answering the question of whether the new microsoft is really different from the old microsoft (yes but only in that they're luckily not smart enough to wait until they have market domination before doing this poo poo)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

bingchat got me to start using edge, but all I use it for is as a taskbar shortcut to ai chat via the homepage and close tabs on exit settings

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

getting closer and closer to switching to firefox, as if that's any better

i use firefox for almost everything, i just keep work related stuff in edge. firefox is fine, good even. at least it isn't bombarding me with poo poo every loving month

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Private Speech posted:

bingchat got me to start using edge, but all I use it for is as a taskbar shortcut to ai chat via the homepage and close tabs on exit settings

so you're the person microsoft is basing all these decisions off of

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

they've done a good job of answering the question of whether the new microsoft is really different from the old microsoft (yes but only in that they're luckily not smart enough to wait until they have market domination before doing this poo poo)

they're different in that "demonstrably worse" is different.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so you're the person microsoft is basing all these decisions off of

if i'm correctly remembering that poster's history in yospos, this explains a lot

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

i assume it is a link to download edge for your phone.

do you mean bing or edge

if its edge ok its a thing you can download, but i dont think it has ai?
but if its bing, i think it does have ""ai"" u you also cant download it

unless definitions changed since last

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 2, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

if i'm correctly remembering that poster's history in yospos, this explains a lot

they stopped making reasonably high-spec surface books, so clearly not (I assume what you're referring to as well)

even if I'm like the only person who liked them itt

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

also I'm not a fan of the win 11 UI and mostly write C++, neither of which is very modern ms

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

do you mean bing or edge

if its edge ok its a thing you can download, but i dont think it has ai?
but if its bing, i think it does have ""ai"" u you also cant download it

unless definitions changed since last

big ol' bing button in mobile edge now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
bing button
bing button
talk about AI
my edge got 'em

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

big ol' bing button in mobile edge now

no! no!!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

any mobile user not using safari on ios deserves the poo poo they get, imo

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

firefox on android can run ublock so I'm mildly jealous but not anywhere near enough to get an android

it is surprising how much poo poo is just flat out broken on mobile safari these days though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i have two issues with mobile browsing:

- stop making huge cookie consent bullshit popovers. even if i agree im going to delete the cookies. can we please get a browser standard that just blackholes everything and forces relogin every time always. once im not the odd one out, theres no reason to track anybody anymore

- being like oh [word] is intersting i wanna read about that, so i long-click, then hit look up, then get directed to [url]https://da.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/[SOMETHING THAT IS NOT AN ARTICLE ON DANISH WIKIPEDIA BUT IS ACTUALLY THERE ON ENGLISH[/url] and i either have to adjust the url manually or juts search again and go to general. idk who does the language decision, because i have not danish in my language preferences.

i think the latter one is the most annoying, tbh

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 2, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Private Speech posted:

also I'm not a fan of the win 11 UI and mostly write C++, neither of which is very modern ms
actually c++ is very modern ms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

batta bing bada boom