Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Really I just want another gunpowder game, the setting is irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WrightOfWay posted:

If you've never played it, Fall of the Samurai is probably Total War's best take on gunpowder combat but I'm not familiar with non-Total War stuff that do similar things to the series.

I would definitely love an Empire or Napoleon 2, maybe even more than Medieval 3.

Yeah, I thought about reinstalling that, I guess I should give it a second shot. I mostly was shying away form FotS because the fact that spears/bows/swords still has a decent amount of focus to it means that the tactics aren't as punchy as something like Napoleon, where you're sending the cav around the flank to harass with moving fire until you can get the enemy engaged because if you just run in they're going to stab you with bayonets. Still, I'll give it a shot, I remember liking it quite a bit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there is a big ridley scott napoleon movie and a big steven spielberg/stanley kubrick napoleon tv show coming out later this year so i would be really surprised if the suits at CA weren't at least having some meetings about another napoleon game

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I'm surprised they haven't done more Rome style remasters. Maybe it didn't sell well? Empire/Napoleon and Medieval 2 seem like good candidates.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Rome 1 needed it the most, that thing ran at like 20FPS on modern computers.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I want a Total War: India of some description, whether historical or the Ramayana. There's a lot of source material there. (And no I don't mean Empire). Get outside Europe a bit more. But I'm glad we got Pharaoh not another sequel.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Bronze Age should be a bit more outside Europe than you would think, aside from the Greeks and their immediate neighbors we know shockingly little about continental Europe during this period, we have way more sources for what was happening in the Middle East and Egypt. The Bronze Age Collapse that the game is centered around predominantly takes place in the Middle East.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The map would probably be something of the scale of that old Alexander Total War game, but with a cut of in the east before you reach the Hindu Kush.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m excited for egypt. But my dream TW would be a kingdoms like compilation of mini campaigns. Maybe victorian era, do US civil war plus Mexico and maybe Britain and France in play, rise of Prussia with them plus France, Danes, Austria Bavaria, etc, Africa with zulu, mahdists, Ethiopia, etc in addition to colonizers, Crimean war, taiping, triple alliance, fots round two…

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Napoleon 2 but with Latin America

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sid Meier’s Colonization but in Total War

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

StashAugustine posted:

oh yeah so many factions all with reasons to kill each other

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Simon Bolivar + Toussaint Loverture Co-op campaign where you burn slavery and colonialism to the ground

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Just burning everything as Jose Paez

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

go all in on dust physics so lancers can be busted as they should be

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
CA, do the bleeding kansas period leading up the civil war

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Jinnigan posted:

CA, do the bleeding kansas period leading up the civil war

Much as I would love Total War American Civil War it would result in the most toxic Total War community you've ever seen in your life.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Much as I would love Total War American Civil War it would result in the most toxic Total War community you've ever seen in your life.

CA make the game but the Confederacy is completely unplayable.

Alternative: playable but remove all identifying colors, landmarks or flags, rename them "Opposing Force".

Watch the chaos ensue.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I've always wanted a USCW game where all the players are Union generals and the victory condition is getting elected president

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I don't think it would be too far beyond the pale to restrict the player to just the union since "world where confederacy won" is the kind of alt-history that is radioactive. It would just have to probably be a Troy-style "saga" release or whatever they called them.

But yeah the Civil War is up there on the list of Things Huge Swaths Of Americans Cannot Be Normal About. You either represent it accurately and get review bombed off the face of the planet or fudge the history and yknow *make excuses for the slavers*. Even acknowledging racial disparity in the north is tinder for slaver apologists.

That being said, if it ever came out I'd be over the moon re-enacting Sherman's March to the sea.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If represented accurately the vast majority of playable factions would be Native American nations who barely interact with the war at all.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
A Total War Silk Road would be interesting. Around the time period of the Tang Dynasty which extended well into Central Asia, you’d have all the kingdoms and nations alone the route. Heck they even have somewhat of a model from Total Warhammer.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

But yeah the Civil War is up there on the list of Things Huge Swaths Of Americans Cannot Be Normal About. You either represent it accurately and get review bombed off the face of the planet or fudge the history and yknow *make excuses for the slavers*.

did either of these happen with Ultimate General or Victoria 3 (or 2 or 1)? i mean the paradox community was always fairly toxic but i dont think the advent of a game including the us civil war in their lineup really changed things significantly, but then maybe i just wasn't paying attention

the main problem with it in a Total War game is there's only two sides and the units aren't terribly different. would probably be good as a DLC but even then you'd probably still need to throw in Mexico and some Native American groups as other factions

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 30, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah Total War isn't good at doing just 1v1 games. Comedy option is to make each state its own faction

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Earwicker posted:

did either of these happen with Ultimate General or Victoria 3 (or 2 or 1)? i mean the paradox community was always fairly toxic but i dont think the advent of a game including the us civil war in their lineup really changed things significantly, but then maybe i just wasn't paying attention

the main problem with it in a Total War game is there's only two sides and the units aren't terribly different. would probably be good as a DLC but even then you'd probably still need to throw in Mexico and some Native American groups as other factions

Cant speak to Ultimate General but the ACW in Victoria 3 is such a small part of the game and has been weird and broken since launch. Plus the southern planters are part of the landowners interest group in the game which is universally the most hated interest group in the game by players since its the one that prevents you from loving doing anything cool.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si6r-l7XZXU

Give us this again, but expand it. (This is a modded version of Napoleon obv).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mantis42 posted:

Simon Bolivar + Toussaint Loverture Co-op campaign where you burn slavery and colonialism to the ground

I have some extremely bad news for you about Loverture

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Washin Tong posted:

CA make the game but the Confederacy is completely unplayable.

Alternative: playable but remove all identifying colors, landmarks or flags, rename them "Opposing Force".

Watch the chaos ensue.

Call them GRAYFOR

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have some extremely bad news for you about Loverture

Wow he died? I'm hearing about this for the first time. He led an amazing life, what else can you say?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mantis42 posted:

Wow he died? I'm hearing about this for the first time. He led an amazing life, what else can you say?

No that he reinstated the plantations as it was the only way he saw the economy succeeding.

He was no hero to the people in any real way

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Not the same thing as the slavery that existed prior and it doesn't diminish his legacy as a revolutionary icon at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well yes but that’s only because facts and narratives aren’t they same thing

Narratives don’t have to be the truth that’s not point

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah Total War isn't good at doing just 1v1 games. Comedy option is to make each state its own faction

They would absolutely do that, and it’d actually be very cool and good

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

acw: total war should be a mini campaign

in fact a lot of 19th century wars could be mini campaigns that only have like, 5 factions max. Give me the legions of hell riding across south america CA you cowards

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Routed by a texan chariot charge

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

No that he reinstated the plantations as it was the only way he saw the economy succeeding.

He was no hero to the people in any real way

last I checked the system Toussaint was trying to implement didn't involve feeding underperforming workers to dogs, boiling them in molasses nor endemic rape

in short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They would absolutely do that, and it’d actually be very cool and good

Oh great, now I want to play a RTW2 Syracuse style game as Kentucky going super jacobin.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Comedy option is to make each state its own faction

Total War: America 2040

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

ACW Total War but Robert E. Lee has all negative modifiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncreativename
Jul 30, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Fall of the Samurai would be almost perfect if it didn't have the awful naval battles. The battles themselves are fine but the strategic map is a mess of single boat fleets constantly harassing your ports and if you auto resolve any battle then a wooden gunboat will cripple your ironclads. And there are dozens of these little fleets scurrying around.

that's interesting. the naval battles were my favourite part. It's very satisfying to watch my fleet of ironclads blow up a bunch of wood ships from like a mile away.

Keep an eye on this total conversion mod for Fall of the Samurai btw, people looking for a new gunpowder game. it's not out yet, but it's going to be on a map of southwestern europe I believe. https://www.moddb.com/mods/total-fots-series

uncreativename fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 31, 2023