Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Skios posted:

:cry: Sinfest Sunday :cry:

Chuds get irrationally angry when something is designed to appeal to anyone other than them. AGC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

two VROOM-free Paynes in a row? :psyduck:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Free speech defender Ron DeSantis...

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Twibbit posted:

And this loses the chance for cool stuff like this.

i totally get what the poster was going for there, but I feel like this is the exact wrong context to recommended Witch Hat Atelier in given how much of the plot conflict is based around the fact that they can just fix people with magic, but they pretend they can't because they've banned human transmutation as dangerous and morally wrong and that sort of healing is on the exact wrong side of the divide, to the point where IIRC the quoted panel come from an extended arc where the protagonists are trying to find a way to a help a non-magic kid with a bad leg that doesn't violate witch law (i think deciding on crutches that can change into wings?), and then like two chapters later he shows up having been fully healed by the rebel witch faction in about ten minutes and is understandably pissed about being lied to.

don't get me wrong, it's an amazing series and I 100% recommend it, this is just feels like an odd way to do it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I don't get the distinction between 'getting """FIXED""" by magic' and 'using magic constructs to imitate what you cannot do because part of your body doesn't work'.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I have not read the series, but in the real world, it’s the difference between “my disability is part of me and I want equity with the non-disabled” and “if I could just get rid of my disability and be ‘normal’ I would in a heartbeat” which is a philosophical debate around what it means to be human, what it means to be ‘normal’, and what level of changes make you a different person, along with other issues around community destruction and erasure

Edit: like, magic goat chair wizard is still disabled. He has traded a large disability for a smaller set, most likely (being bigger and bulkier, and also still can’t use his legs to sit in a different chair and probably can’t take showers). He still runs risks of being excluded or discriminated against for being different, or his goat chair seen as a hassle for inviting him to your small apartment on your sixth floor walk-up. If his disability were magiced away then it simply does not exist anymore, and he is ‘normal’. Is that good? Does that change who he is?

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 28, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As skeleton warrior says, this is a pretty significant conflict point in several communities, including hearing-impaired communities (where interventions can cure or treat some conditions) and communities associated with the autism spectrum, where the notion of the condition as a disease is itself hotly disputed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am not disabled, but “In this world, you would simply not exist” sounds like something of a bummer. A magical/scifi device to aid them allows for the representation without taking the easy way out of simply magicking/scienceing the disability away.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Old school homophobia is back in a big way. I know this was always the end result of what people trying to use transexuality as a wedge issue wanted, but drat did it happen fast.

"I am disgusted that people with brown skin, homosexuals, and the physically disabled exist. Just hearing about them being alive makes me sick with rage. The only people worthy of respect are heterosexual blonde haired and blue eyed whites."

The term "gone full Nazi" is thrown around a lot these days, but wow.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

E; I'm sorry, that touched a raw nerve. To me, it sounded too much like the 'nobility in suffering' poo poo I've had to listen to irl.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 28, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Old school homophobia is back in a big way. I know this was always the end result of what people trying to use transexuality as a wedge issue wanted, but drat did it happen fast.

"I am disgusted that people with brown skin, homosexuals, and the physically disabled exist. Just hearing about them being alive makes me sick with rage. The only people worthy of respect are heterosexual blonde haired and blue eyed whites."

The term "gone full Nazi" is thrown around a lot these days, but wow.
I mean he's calling people "degenerates", it's not like he had much of a mask on.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hope you all wear suitable protective gear when analyzing Sinfest. Because even looking at it these days makes me feel like I'm standing in front of an unshielded reactor core.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Broelman:

Lidia Thorpe to lodge racism claim against Greens party with Human Rights Commission (ABC). Thorpe was elected as a Greens senator but quit the party over disagreements on the Voice to Parliament (the party is campaigning Yes, Thorpe wants to abstain).

Herbert:

Lethbridge:

On the Voice to Parliament referendum.

Leak, Son of Leak:

A common complaint from those arguing for "no" in the referendum is that they can't say they are voting "no" without being called out.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I know what it really is (kinda), but looking at Australian cartoons I keep thinking they're heavily debating a singing contest show from NBC.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trapezium Dave posted:

Lethbridge:

On the Voice to Parliament referendum.

Leak, Son of Leak:

A common complaint from those arguing for "no" in the referendum is that they can't say they are voting "no" without being called out.
Not being an Aussie myself, I remember when all these comics first started hitting and I had to look up what the hell the Voice was, because it was just pitched by rags like these as some ominous, vague, impending legislation.
Knowing what the Voice actually is, I'm repeatedly amazed at the hoops they'll jump through to avoid admitting they're just racist.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Murdstone posted:

I know what it really is (kinda), but looking at Australian cartoons I keep thinking they're heavily debating a singing contest show from NBC.
All the Aussie cartoonists did that in week one and got it out of their systems.

Vib Rib posted:

Not being an Aussie myself, I remember when all these comics first started hitting and I had to look up what the hell the Voice was, because it was just pitched by rags like these as some ominous, vague, impending legislation.
Knowing what the Voice actually is, I'm repeatedly amazed at the hoops they'll jump through to avoid admitting they're just racist.
Peter Dutton is effectively the leader of the "no" campaign now and his strategy is literally that Kelly cartoon about what happens when we talk about race. It's going to get so ugly.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Vib Rib posted:

What is the Voice?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Prism posted:

What is the Voice?

the government has to at least pretend to care about indigenous people's opinions on things (legally distinct from being actually required to care about their opinions on things, which would involve a formal treaty and probably constitutional reform)

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

ungulateman posted:

the government has to at least pretend to care about indigenous people's opinions on things (legally distinct from being actually required to care about their opinions on things, which would involve a formal treaty and probably constitutional reform)
The Voice to Parliament itself requires constitutional reform, this is why Australia is having a referendum and why the camps are called "Yes" and "No" (the two boxes in the vote).

I'll try and post a brief summary of the issue given it's going to dominate Australian cartoons for all of 2023, with the caveat that my only qualifications on the issue is being an random Aussie with a computer who posts cartoons:

Back in the days when Turnbull was PM there was a convention of First Nations peoples near Uluru to decide on a plan for Reconciliation. The end result was a petition called the Uluru Statement from the Heart, which contained three steps for what the convention wanted: Voice, Treaty and Truth:
Voice: an official representation in the Constitution to advise the government on First Nation issues.
Treaty: recognition that sovereignty with First Nations was never ceded so a formal treaty is required.
Truth: the teaching and understanding of the history of First Nations in Australia
(note that there has been disagreement over the order of these steps; this is ordering in the Uluru Statement from the Heart but others like Lidia Thorpe argue for Treaty first, this is why she's abstaining.)

Once they handed this petition over Turnbull said thanks it was all too hard and filed it in the too hard basket a.k.a. the bin. Albanese campaigned against Morrison with the promise of enacting the Uluru Statement of the Heart which is where we currently are: enacting step one, the Voice. Since this requires a change to the constitution there has to be a referendum, hence all the politics and cartoons. For this to pass there needs to be a double majority, an absolute majority of voters plus a majority in a majority of states (i.e. four out of six vote yes). Historically Australians tend to have a conservative "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude to referendums (see Lethbridge's cartoon).

ungulateman is correct in that the Voice is just an official representation that makes recommendations to the government. There is nothing that says they have to listen. There is also nothing planned that formalises exactly how the representation is formed, just that there has to be one. If a government wanted to be absolute shits they could pass laws saying the Voice is Tony Abbott and it might get through a High Court challenge, it just probably won't get that far because they would get voted out.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Drew Sheneman

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
My big takeaway from skimming thru the australian cartoons posted in the thread is

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

I get a little tired of the focus on how terrible Florida is when many red states are enacting the exact same policies, but this has some nice effort put into it. Love the cringing sun.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Drew Sheneman

Kellies nomination:
most easily reinterpreted (to the extent that I can't tell what the correct interpretation is)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Haitian posted:

I get a little tired of the focus on how terrible Florida is when many red states are enacting the exact same policies, but this has some nice effort put into it. Love the cringing sun.

Those other states' governors aren't running for president (yet).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Discendo Vox posted:

Kellies nomination:
most easily reinterpreted (to the extent that I can't tell what the correct interpretation is)

Drew Sheneman posted:

Will the assault on America’s beloved corporate giants never end? How can these oft maligned organizations be expected to produce shareholder value if forced to pay a draconian 2.5% surtax on top of a single digit corporate tax rate? Sure you pay a much higher tax rate on your income, but you’re just a private citizen, not a corporation. You probably don’t even have an HR department.

New Jersey added the surtax in 2018 and it juiced revenues by a billion dollars. Since then the economy has hummed along just fine, despite the hew and cry from the corporate class that the 2.5 percent surtax would kill jobs, cause a corporate exodus and ultimately lead to the downfall of society or something. None of that happened. Unemployment is 3.5 percent and the corporations have yet to make for the Delaware. Maybe they’re still packing.

The aforementioned surtax is set to expire soon and there’s a pretty strong case that it shouldn’t. Murphy promised to let it expire but he should break that promise and let it ride. Sure, the business community and their boosters will pitch a fit, because that’s what they do, but tough. New Jersey has one of the most highly skilled workforces in the nation and proximity to the financial center of the universe. It’s not unreasonable to expect big businesses to pay a premium for access to all we have to offer. Not to mention there’s not a bit of evidence that the small increase to the corporate tax rate has caused businesses to flee for greener, cheaper pastures.

Keep the surtax for the foreseeable future and if conditions happen to change down the line we can revisit it. That’s what legislatures are for.

Generally speaking, people don't consider parasites a good thing, though.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Maybe DeSantis Can Torture His Way to the White House

Ted Rall posted:

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis will tout his military experience in his race for President. But his experience at Guantanamo torture camp includes highly credible allegations that he volunteered to watch brutal torture and approved of what he saw.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah fun thing about French, that 'plus' can mean more or no longer, there is a "logic" to it but I'm not sure I can explain it right. Looking it now I didn't translate that part. Have done so now.
I think it's just a contraction/corruption of expressions like "non plus" and "n'est plus". Like "chez pas" (for "je ne sais pas").

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Those other states' governors aren't running for president (yet).

Oh I get it, it's just that from the coverage you'd think it was just FL and not half the states going full fasc. Anyway, it's a solid cartoon.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Lorna Miller on just another week in the UK – Rishi, Nigel, Suella, Boris and their pet gopher, Gordon, have all been in the news. But what high jinks have they been getting into?"

Telegraph:

Rishi Sunak will ask stores to cap basic food prices

Times:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

Diversification of the international currency by Zheng Huawei

Not an economist but this feels like it'd make everything far more complicated.

Charlie Hebdo

"Nothing left to expect from this hosed planet. The future is in exploring the empty skies."

Signs read: Potable water
"Salt-water showers are over."
I didn't follow the article super well, but it's got to do with the drought.

Far Right: Born considers the RN Petain's descendents
"In 2027 we'll send them to the island of Yeu in exile."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My god…just look at it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Artificial Kid posted:

I think it's just a contraction/corruption of expressions like "non plus" and "n'est plus". Like "chez pas" (for "je ne sais pas").

French is continuing to move around this thing called the Jespersen Cycle. It's a general kind of thing languages just do on their own, but French conveniently has been doing it very rapidly for a long time when he happen to have good records so it's the model. Basically, word meanings change over time and that applies to the functional-machinery grammar words too. The Jespersen Cycle is the weakening of negation leading to the necessity of intensifiers eventually allowing the intensifiers to "become" the negative element.

In Old French a.k.a. Really, Really Vulgar Latin you made sentences negative with ne (which is straight from Latin) : Charles ne marche (Charles NEG walk) "Charles isn't walking". Then in Middle French, they started wanting to make it really clear they were negating things so they would add an intensifying noun : Charles ne marche pas (Charles NEG walk step) "Charles isn't walking a single step". Over time, this became so common that it was reanalyzed as just the way you say negation and this should seem familiar if you learned French in school or hang around weirdos who care about "proper" French. By now "Charles ne marche" is actually ungrammatical because you'd be skipping half of the negation. (There were other intensifiers like "not eating a single crumb" or "not drinking a single drop", but as pas was reanalyzed those died out, probably just because there are a lot of verbs of motion and it was the "elsewhere case" so to speak.)

But if you actually go to France or talk casually it's semi-mandatory that you drop the ne, because pas is the real negator now! You can say it, people understand you, but you're gonna sound wrong so you definitely shouldn't because this is the "real" French just like we're casually posting in the "real" English. In normal conversation that's not a news broadcast, pretty much everyone uses only pas after the verb when negating it. And if you want to say "why not?" in French it's pourquoi pas? (for.what PAS)

What's going on with plus is a knock-on effect of the negation leap-frogging over the verb like that. See also rien/personne/etc. Since there's no more ne they're sort of "soaking up" the negation.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Pants Donkey posted:

My god…just look at it.

Are the Minions "woke" now? I thought the right was touting them as "anti-woke".

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

PricewaterhouseCoopers puts nine execs on leave and CEO Kristen Stubbins wrote an open letter of apology for sharing confidential government tax information with overseas clients.

Broelman:

Lethbridge:

Literally the Kelly "when we talk about race" argument.

Spooner:

Sky News host Rowan Dean says the WHO is "desperate to have some kind of global pandemic treaty" to give them greater power.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pants Donkey posted:

My god…just look at it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kellies nomination: Best Parody/Edit

Electric Phantasm