Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've read a bunch of his poo poo and it's fun in a "this guy is so full of poo poo" sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Samovar posted:

Once upon a time, there was a man by the name of Augustus Montague Summers. Not much can be said about him that isn't covered by his wikipedia article. However, I still think he should be brought to everyone's attention as the person with potentially the worst hair-style in existence

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I love that the way his Wikipedia page is written, mentioning an interest in pederasty before becoming a priest.

Mods Deacons knew.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Philippe posted:

He gave himself that haircut to make himself more unfuckable, like a mix between a monk tonsure and a barrister wig.

He's like the anti-Crowley.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

cult_hero posted:

He's like the anti-Crowley.

Did Yeats kick him up the stairs?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Trey_Explainer/status/1663898944496103424

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
McAuthur didn’t care what sex you liked only if you wanted to nuke some Asians

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Hides were an important resource in 16th century Europe and demand outgrew domestic supply. Livestock was a major industry in the Carribbean, especially in the Spanish colonies to the point that hides were used as currency. In the interior there were so many cattle raised for their hides that much of their meat couldn't be consumed and it went to waste.

Source: Frank Moya Pons' History of the Caribbean

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The Naval Intelligence Service, not knowing that 'Friend of Dorothy' was a euphemism for gay men, spent years and thousands of man hours combing the Chicago area for this supposed Dorothy, based on the fact that 'Friend of Dorothy' turned up in the personnel files of a number of naval personnel discharged for homosexuality. They assumed that this Dorothy ran some sort of social establishment popular with gay men, and assumed she could be cajoled into giving up the lists of gay men she must certainly possess.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A good madam don't talk to the fuzz

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sounds like they were Toto-ly confused

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Samovar posted:

Once upon a time, there was a man by the name of Augustus Montague Summers. Not much can be said about him that isn't covered by his wikipedia article. However, I still think he should be brought to everyone's attention as the person with potentially the worst hair-style in existence

That got dark really quickly.

this dude's wikipedia posted:

Summers was ordained as deacon in 1908 and worked as a curate in Bath and Bitton, near Bristol. He never proceeded to higher orders, however, probably because of rumours of his interest in Satanism and accusations of sexual impropriety with young boys, for which he was tried and acquitted.[1]
No wonder he wanted to be a priest!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

From the Danish ship Prince Frederic's journal (they've all been digitized as part of a project to register historical weather observations; below is my bad transcription/translation, not sure I got all the maritime terms correct & also I have no idea what island Luceperra is)

quote:

April 7, 1762
Morning 9 o'clock. Sent navigator From [= his name] with the co-dinghy* to sound the waters between Luceperra and Sumatra, and when the dinghy by the stream was drifted too far eastern, a [Siøe (signal?)] was hoisted under the mizzen [...] to signal his return on board, which did not happen until half 6 in the afternoon. On this occasion, a remarkable example was given to us of the divine providence, to save a human being from need and death, whose hourglass has not yet emptied.

When the current had led the dinghy far east of the island Luceperra, the people heard a very miserable wailling of a person, which moved them to keep closer to the land to ascertain whether it was a person, where then met them swimming into the water a Malay boy, about 12 to 13 years old, who by gestures explained that he was alone and had nothing to live from, and therefore requested to come with them to the ship, which then happened.

As they then came to the ship, the captain questioned him how he had come to the island, and he explained, partially by some words that the captain understood, and partially by gestures, that he and others had been out fishing with a [Prauve (pram?)], which by a throwing wind had capsized with them all, and had by the current drifted there to the land where he had now been for 3 days, weeks, or months, which no man could rightly understand.

He had some turtle eggs with him in a bamboo tube, which were roasted in the hot sand by the heat of the sun. He was wholly naked except for an old red [Klæckers (loin cloth?)] of cotton [= calico], whereby he hid his shame. Otherwise, one could ascertain that he had his home on the island Bancka, and that his former comrades were drowned.

Soon after, we made good wind and raised anchor and sails. Twelve o'clock we passed Luceperra and approached the first point of Sumatra. One o'clock set anchor due to the dark, with a thick and treacherous air. Took on 13 [Lægger (legs?)] of fresh water [a distance or for drinking? idk]

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=23157381#531115,90125760

The boy ended up in Denmark where he was baptized as Frederik Christian Bendahl (two first names are king's names, later writers say his surname possibly means he was from Benda on Java). He married, had children and has Danish descendants to this day.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Jun 9, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That's wild.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The co‐dinghy would be some variety of ship’s boat. I couldn’t say which.

Luceperra is the islet known today as “Maspari”.

Here it is in the 1800 edition of Moore’s New Practical Navigator.

Bowditch in his first edition of 1802 did better with 3° 11′ S 106° 14′ E, within four klicks of its position on today’s maps.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Jun 10, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

The co‐dinghy would be some variety of ship’s boat. I couldn’t say which.

Luceperra is the islet known today as “Maspari”.

Here it is in the 1800 edition of Moore’s New Practical Navigator.

Bowditch in his first edition of 1802 did better with 3° 11′ S 106° 14′ E, within four klicks of its position on today’s maps.

thank you

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Watching the D-Day special(s) by Indy, Spartacus, et al and just heard of this guy:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

From the Danish ship Prince Frederic's journal (they've all been digitized as part of a project to register historical weather observations; below is my bad transcription/translation, not sure I got all the maritime terms correct & also I have no idea what island Luceperra is)

The boy ended up in Denmark where he was baptized as Frederik Christian Bendahl (two first names are king's names, later writers say his surname possibly means he was from Benda on Java). He married, had children and has Danish descendants to this day.

I'll bet a plugged nickel that "prauve" is an idiosyncratic spelling of "paraw" or "proa", a catchall name for various types of catamaran and trimaran common throughout the Pacific

Also I expect the 13 laeggers of freshwater are indeed barrels or drums for storing drinking water. I know "lager" in German means storage and it's likely cognate here, and in any case, when your ship is at the mercies of wind and sun, always best to top up the things you need to keep a crew alive.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Europeans butchering native names of things is one of the fun* tidbits of colonization. Sometimes it happens multiple times over, like how a huge swathe of the US is named the "original" thing but filtered badly into 17th century french, then browbeaten again to be english. And thus you get bullshit like Arkansas

*colonization isn't fun, please don't do it irl

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Europeans butchering native names of things is one of the fun* tidbits of colonization. Sometimes it happens multiple times over, like how a huge swathe of the US is named the "original" thing but filtered badly into 17th century french, then browbeaten again to be english. And thus you get bullshit like Arkansas

Lot of this in Arizona, though without the French influence. Some not-really indigenous names include:
Papago There are a zillion things in central AZ named Papago, including a stretch of Interstate 10. It's an exonym for the Tohono O'odham people from the name given to them by their rival neighbors the Pima. In the Pima language it's "bean eaters", run phonetically through the Spanish language turning into Papago. The name is wholly rejected by the O'odham people but continues to be used everywhere.
Navajo is an odd one, because it's also an exonym run through Spanish as Apaches de Navajó . Navajo is a corruption of a Pueblo people word for farms. Despite this, the Navajo nation has sorta rolled with it and uses Navajo as a synonym for their language and people. Their language's word for their people is Diné, which literally just means "the people"
Ahwatukee is a suburb of Phoenix, surrounding the excellent South Mountain park and bordering the Gila River Indian Community. The name is supposed to mean "house of dreams" in the Crow language. It was named by a white person who didn't speak the Crow language, and certainly didn't have anyone to ask because the Crow people live thousands of miles away. It's a totally made up, nonsense word. (I've posted about it in this thread before)

It's also fun that in many indigenous languages the group's autonym can usually be translated as "the people" and the word for any other people is literally "not us", or "the others" when it's not a specific disparaging term like "the bird eaters" or "mud people". My favorite is the Pawnee people's autonym, translated as "Men of Men."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

canyoneer posted:

when it's not a specific disparaging term like "the bird eaters" or "mud people".

Not that different from the norwegian word for swedes that's "svenskjævel" (the devil swede).

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Alhazred posted:

Not that different from the norwegian word for swedes that's "svenskjævel" (the devil swede).

This is bait. And also like the swedish word for a norwegian being "fjällapa" (mountain monkey) when the oil jealousy gets too strong.
(The oilussy?)

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Jun 12, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Phy posted:

I'll bet a plugged nickel that "prauve" is an idiosyncratic spelling of "paraw" or "proa", a catchall name for various types of catamaran and trimaran common throughout the Pacific

Also I expect the 13 laeggers of freshwater are indeed barrels or drums for storing drinking water. I know "lager" in German means storage and it's likely cognate here, and in any case, when your ship is at the mercies of wind and sun, always best to top up the things you need to keep a crew alive.

Those both sound very plausible, esp I'm positive you're right about the first one!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well, there go my vacation plans.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

This is bait. And also like the swedish word for a norwegian being "fjällapa" (mountain monkey) when the oil jealousy gets too strong.
(The oilussy?)

I'd say that "norrbagge" (norwegi-ram) has probably been around longer. And as a half-Norwegian Swede with relatives in western Norway, I'd say that the stubborness all my Norwegian relatives seems to share makes the comparison to goats fairly accurate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

And here we just call them "norski". What with them speaking norsk and all.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Offler posted:

I'd say that "norrbagge" (norwegi-ram) has probably been around longer. And as a half-Norwegian Swede with relatives in western Norway, I'd say that the stubborness all my Norwegian relatives seems to share makes the comparison to goats fairly accurate.

What do y'all call the Danes?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

deong posted:

What do y'all call the Danes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlTukY9fV9Y&t=66s

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Iceland Danes are called "Baunverjar" (Beanlanders) or "Baunar" (Beaners)*. It is debated whether this refers to the Danish colonial merchants (who had a monopoly on all trade in Iceland from 1602 and into the 19th century) being the only source of beans in the country or if its some sort of "beancounter" joke or if it's a corruption of the Danish word "bønde" meaning farmer.

I've even heard one story about it being derived from a specific shipment of rotten beans hundreds of years ago that the Danish merchants tried to sell despite all of it having gone bad in the voyage over the Atlantic. But I'm fairly certain that one is a folk etymology despite being the sort of thing our colonial masters did often back then.

Our other historical adversary the British we call "Tjallar" or "Tjalli" in the singular because it sounds kinda like Charlie.*

*No relation to the American slur.

*No relation to the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Danish farmer is "bonde", but plural "bønder" which is very similar to beans "bønne"/"bønner", the only difference in pronunciation of the plurals is the glottal stop in bønder is absent in bønner (in standard Danish; some dialects do not have glottal stops).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How do they even survive without glottal stops :ohdear:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

idk but they sound like a bunch of bønner

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A bunch of danes sitting around with just their top buttons buttoned, drinking schnapps just waiting for some swedes to try them

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

3D Megadoodoo posted:

And here we just call them "norski". What with them speaking norsk and all.

"Turskahurri" or "cod-swede" is the worst I have heard.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why do you think they consider their other adversary the British?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Letmebefrank posted:

I've never heard that ever. I don't think you're actually Finnish.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Letmebefrank posted:

I like how you politely translated hurri to swede like it was no thang

I guess the etymology of ryssä is also clear enough, since they hail from the city of Rus.

Finnish doesn't really have that many clever, awful names for our neighbouring colonizing nations, despite the centuries of horrors, it's all making a fist in your pocket and other assorted finnish-isms.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rappaport posted:

I like how you politely translated hurri to swede like it was no thang

I guess the etymology of ryssä is also clear enough, since they hail from the city of Rus.

Finnish doesn't really have that many clever, awful names for our neighbouring colonizing nations, despite the centuries of horrors, it's all making a fist in your pocket and other assorted finnish-isms.

Everyone in North America is a Yankee and lmao they refuse to believe it despite literally literally the whole planet agreeing.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Everyone in North America is a Yankee and lmao they refuse to believe it despite literally literally the whole planet agreeing.

Calling someone south of the Mason-Dixon line a yankee is asking for a fight. Calling someone south of the US border a yankee is just ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They did have a war about that name and everything