Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

dupersaurus posted:

Mushroom clouds are a thermodynamic effect of a very strong heat source rising into the atmosphere, and a lot of things other than nukes make them

Xenoborg posted:

Mushroom clouds form because the air around and explosion is very hot. Since it’s hot it both rises and expands at the same time so the cloud will be large at the top. Any concentrated explosion (ie a bomb and not something more dispersed like a gas explosion) can make them, even hand grenades can a little bit.

That's really cool, thank you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
A bit of an odd social/cultural question. I've been working at my job for about a year now. My immediate supervisor has invited everyone on his team to a graduation party for his daughter. I'm not close friends with him, and I've never met his daughter, and even if I had, it seems weird to attend a graduation party for someone I'm not friends with. That and being 20+ years older than the guest of honor is also weird. From the perspective of the daughter, I think back to my high school graduation, and if my parents had invited their co-workers/subordinates I would have felt kind of put out. And also, this is not just some backyard barbecue style event, but it seems that they are renting out a local country club for a few hours.

The part I didn't mention is that my boss' family is from India, and I seem to recall hearing that in that culture, throwing large, elaborate, lavish parties where everyone is invited, is just how things are done, but especially for milestone events. I remember being invited to a co-worker's wedding in India, and the invite itself was the most extravagant ink and paper I have ever seen. And again, this was someone who I only kind of knew (same team, different building).

Is this a common thing in Indian culture, or have I misunderstood?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

are the other people on the team going? i wouldn't go if i was the only coworker showing up but if other people from work are going to be there, hey why not.

i dont know how common it is in Indian culture but i do know that Indians tend to throw extremely good parties, whatever the occasion

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

The part I didn't mention is that my boss' family is from India, and I seem to recall hearing that in that culture, throwing large, elaborate, lavish parties where everyone is invited, is just how things are done, but especially for milestone events.

Anecdote: my inlaws invited SO MANY people to my wedding including friends of my spouses parents that my spouse didn't _really_ know.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, if other folks from work are there it's not a big deal. Sometimes people just want to put on a big to-do with everyone they know. Also, sometimes people look up and realize their poor work/life balance means their co-workers are everyone they know.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

India's a big and culturally diverse place and it's kinda hard to make generalizations, but really big parties aren't all that uncommon in some parts. One of my former coworkers had a family wedding that had something like 400-500 guests.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CzarChasm posted:

A bit of an odd social/cultural question. I've been working at my job for about a year now. My immediate supervisor has invited everyone on his team to a graduation party for his daughter. I'm not close friends with him, and I've never met his daughter, and even if I had, it seems weird to attend a graduation party for someone I'm not friends with. That and being 20+ years older than the guest of honor is also weird. From the perspective of the daughter, I think back to my high school graduation, and if my parents had invited their co-workers/subordinates I would have felt kind of put out. And also, this is not just some backyard barbecue style event, but it seems that they are renting out a local country club for a few hours.

The part I didn't mention is that my boss' family is from India, and I seem to recall hearing that in that culture, throwing large, elaborate, lavish parties where everyone is invited, is just how things are done, but especially for milestone events. I remember being invited to a co-worker's wedding in India, and the invite itself was the most extravagant ink and paper I have ever seen. And again, this was someone who I only kind of knew (same team, different building).

Is this a common thing in Indian culture, or have I misunderstood?

gently caress yeah I'd go for the food alone!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
On the one hand, yes free food, absolutely, and Indian food doubly so. No problems there. My wife and I recently discovered Indian food for ourselves, and enjoy it a lot.

The biggest issue is that from asking around none of my other co-workers are planning on attending. I can maybe congregate with a few other people at my level, but if the only person I know at the event is my boss, that's an uncomfortable level of awkward.

I'll double check with everyone else, and see if any of my work friends are going. If so, then sure, I'll attend. If not, I'll make some other plans and politely decline.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like indian food a lot but the music they play at parties is even better than the food. but yeah it would be weird if you are the only one there from work

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have an HSA, and I'm trying to get an estimate of how much have the HSA saves me on my healthcare costs vs. not having one - I've seen HSA calculators but they are all for future HSA growth, not what I'm looking for.

my maximum OOP per year is 3750, which I can safely assume I will meet. Does this mean my taxable income will be decreased by 3750, if that cost is all paid out of my HSA?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

If I'm sitting on a https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/matchspel-gaming-chair-bomstad-black-50496946/, and my back and/or stomach are getting sore, does that mean I have crappy posture and the chair is correcting it whether I like it or not? Or do I need to adjust it differently? Or is it a bad chair? Or just not the chair for me?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

If I'm sitting on a https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/matchspel-gaming-chair-bomstad-black-50496946/, and my back and/or stomach are getting sore, does that mean I have crappy posture and the chair is correcting it whether I like it or not? Or do I need to adjust it differently? Or is it a bad chair? Or just not the chair for me?

You can have bad posture in any chair; chairs don't magically force you to have good posture. Even if you were strapped into something that forced your body to be in a "good posture" position, if you weren't engaging the right muscles it'd still be bad.

Look up what good posture looks like, and do your best to match that. You may need to change the height of your chair, desk, and display(s) as part of this. You also should not be spending more than an hour or two sitting at your desk continuously. Get up, more around, drink some water, and look at something far away to give your eyes a break.

It's worth taking posture seriously. The alternative can be living in pain for months or longer because you hosed up your back and have to do extensive physical therapy.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My understanding is that any one posture isn't the correct one, what's more important is that you shift around a lot so you're not in any position for too long

Like if you strapped yourself into the 'correct' posture and held that exact position for hours that'd be bad for you too

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I love having a voice assistant to use in the car, but Google Assistant is broken and gives me rage. I want to use Google Maps, take notes, play music, and occasionally call or text someone. I'm having trouble with Alexa because of the way our family account is set up. Android, so no Siri. What's good, or where else should I ask?

EDIT: If I could get Assistant to limit its contact list to certain labels, and to by default navigate to the nearest instance of a business (asking for CVS should take me to the closest one, for instance, without asking me to specify a location by street address), I could find my peace with it.

Hungry Squirrel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 1, 2023

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Hyperlynx posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243 will help you, but they may try to talk you into something expensive and fancy. They're usually right, though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if you have a design within reach in your area sit in all the chairs there

aeron crew but don't pay full price

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I have an HSA, and I'm trying to get an estimate of how much have the HSA saves me on my healthcare costs vs. not having one - I've seen HSA calculators but they are all for future HSA growth, not what I'm looking for.

my maximum OOP per year is 3750, which I can safely assume I will meet. Does this mean my taxable income will be decreased by 3750, if that cost is all paid out of my HSA?

Yes the taxes on the OOP max of 3750 will be your yearly savings on taxes. Note that this applies to federal and SS/Medicare taxes, as well as most (all? not sure) state taxes, so you could be saving 37% off of that alone. Do pay attention to differences in medical cost though, HSA plans will generally have you pay full price for most things until your deductible and coinsurance comes in: they don't have copays for visits/Rx and instead pay full price until deductible. They often have lower OOP max and since you said you will likely be hitting that, it does seem like it would be cheaper care as well.

edit: If you are curious the mechanics, your HSA contributions will be a pretax paycheck deduction (like traditional 401k) which will directly lower your taxable income.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
In Audacity, is there a way to paste audio in the same place multiple times?

Edit: Nevermind, that seems to be what Store Cursor Position is for.

NotNut fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 1, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Xenoborg posted:

Yes the taxes on the OOP max of 3750 will be your yearly savings on taxes. Note that this applies to federal and SS/Medicare taxes, as well as most (all? not sure) state taxes, so you could be saving 37% off of that alone. Do pay attention to differences in medical cost though, HSA plans will generally have you pay full price for most things until your deductible and coinsurance comes in: they don't have copays for visits/Rx and instead pay full price until deductible. They often have lower OOP max and since you said you will likely be hitting that, it does seem like it would be cheaper care as well.

edit: If you are curious the mechanics, your HSA contributions will be a pretax paycheck deduction (like traditional 401k) which will directly lower your taxable income.

thanks and yep I pay everything up to 1750 deductible than 20% on most stuff until the OOP max of 3750.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Posting to find something

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Edit: never mind

Deadite fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 2, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

if you have a design within reach in your area sit in all the chairs there

aeron crew but don't pay full price

I ended up going humanscale… but did pay full price! :xd: well, almost

To sit in alot of chairs, I had to go to alot of show rooms.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
About a month ago I cleaned out the food trap in our dishwasher (~2019 Frigidaire). Ever since, it has done a terrible job cleaning plastic dishes on the top rack. Even a plastic bowl that just had Goldfish crackers in it or a cup from milk don't get clean. I took off the spray arm and ran water through it and water came out all the holes, so it doesn't look like there's any clog in that part. How much of the rest of it can I realistically check myself, and how should I go about doing that?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Way back in the day I used to make movies and animation using macro media flash. By using buttons and key frames I was even able to make a dumb little choose your own adventure game.

It's now am obsolete program but I was interested in making more animation projects as a hobby.

What program has replaced macro media flash?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bioshuffle posted:

If you're not looking to do web stuff, Unity's probably a good choice.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Bioshuffle posted:

Way back in the day I used to make movies and animation using macro media flash. By using buttons and key frames I was even able to make a dumb little choose your own adventure game.

It's now am obsolete program but I was interested in making more animation projects as a hobby.

There is no true flash successor. Strictly speaking you can do everything flash did with HTML5+javascript but I don’t know if anyone’s made an app that does what the flash editor did.

Game engines like Unity and Godot are spiritual successors in the sense of shitpost creativity holes, but they don’t really do the same thing.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Thanks for the recommendations, I will look into NextDNS. I was hoping for a quick fix that didn't require a subscription, but it sounds like the pi-hole route would also require a certain amount of regular maintenance and the price on NextDNS doesn't look too bad.

Inceltown posted:

I do like how the solution for the "I'm scared of DNS" goon is "set up DNS".

LOL, though when I say "intimidated" I don't mean unwilling to interact with it at all. More that it's not something I'm familiar with or find intuitive so while I could probably follow step-by-step instructions for a one-time setup, I wouldn't know where to start if any troubleshooting was required.

hooah posted:

About a month ago I cleaned out the food trap in our dishwasher (~2019 Frigidaire). Ever since, it has done a terrible job cleaning plastic dishes on the top rack. Even a plastic bowl that just had Goldfish crackers in it or a cup from milk don't get clean. I took off the spray arm and ran water through it and water came out all the holes, so it doesn't look like there's any clog in that part. How much of the rest of it can I realistically check myself, and how should I go about doing that?

I have the same issue with the Whirlpool in my apartment. I tried all sorts of fixes a while back to no avail and have basically resorted to hand-washing everything and using the dishwasher as a glorified drying rack. One thing that multiple people have recommended is switching to Finish Quantum for detergent. It didn't help for me, but it definitely made a difference when my sister tried it so maybe it would for you as well?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Atahualpa posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, I will look into NextDNS. I was hoping for a quick fix that didn't require a subscription, but it sounds like the pi-hole route would also require a certain amount of regular maintenance and the price on NextDNS doesn't look too bad.
Also try the free version, it doesn't let you customize it but it'll give you a good general idea.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I’m moving from SF to Seattle in by end of month for work. Do we have a thread talking about short-term rentals or other best tips for making a short-plan move like this?

I don’t know if doing an AirBnB or long-stay hotel or whatnot is the better option while I look for permanent housing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

hooah posted:

Have you ever run a cleaning cycle? Have you ever run a cleaning cycle with a dishwasher cleaner?

I recently had this issue where my dishwasher has hit the 9 month mark and I didn't run a cleaning cycle at all. I started to notice my dishes weren't as clean as I liked, and they often had a slight funky smell coming out of the dishwasher. I ran a cleaning cycle but the problem still persisted. I then bought dishwasher cleaner and ran a cleaning cycle with that and all the problems went away. Dishwasher now cleans properly again, stuff comes out smelling and feeling great. Give that a go?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

FreshFeesh posted:

I’m moving from SF to Seattle in by end of month for work. Do we have a thread talking about short-term rentals or other best tips for making a short-plan move like this?

I don’t know if doing an AirBnB or long-stay hotel or whatnot is the better option while I look for permanent housing.

If you want to know about the area, check out the Seattle thread. For tips on moving, the Home Buying thread discusses it every now and then; or you could try the Business Travel thread.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Qubee posted:

Have you ever run a cleaning cycle? Have you ever run a cleaning cycle with a dishwasher cleaner?

I recently had this issue where my dishwasher has hit the 9 month mark and I didn't run a cleaning cycle at all. I started to notice my dishes weren't as clean as I liked, and they often had a slight funky smell coming out of the dishwasher. I ran a cleaning cycle but the problem still persisted. I then bought dishwasher cleaner and ran a cleaning cycle with that and all the problems went away. Dishwasher now cleans properly again, stuff comes out smelling and feeling great. Give that a go?

This, and also use rinse aid. I know it seems like a scam or waste of money but it is an incredible upgrade in terms of dish cleanliness and non-spotting drying. Seems to keep the dishwasher itself cleaner too. It's one of my "under $10 game-changer" tips, along with Stain Devils (little bottles of stain-specific clothes treatments that work way, way better than you might expect. They are magic. Spill red wine on a white shirt? Your kid marked up your jeans with crayons and ink? Oil splashes on your shirt while deep frying tater tots? There's a Stain Devil variant for each of those and it will work and your clothes will be good as new).

E: also, dishwasher cleaner (and Nespresso cleaner, and washing machine cleaner) are just citric acid, you can probably buy it cheaper as a generic product and just go that route.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 4, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I haven't run a cleaning cycle, but I'll grab some cleaner and do that. I do use rinse aid, mostly for the drying benefits.

Well, I can't find any mention of a self-cleaning cycle in the manual. Great job, Frigidaire.

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 4, 2023

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

hooah posted:

I haven't run a cleaning cycle, but I'll grab some cleaner and do that. I do use rinse aid, mostly for the drying benefits.

Well, I can't find any mention of a self-cleaning cycle in the manual. Great job, Frigidaire.

Run it on the hottest and heaviest cleaning setting with the cleaner in it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I bought five pounds of citric acid powder like a decade ago, when I was experimenting with making sour candy. Turns out five pounds is a lot. I still have most of it, and it comes in handy shockingly often for cleaning stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Where could I pick up citric acid? It's not available at Kroger or Publix or Home Depot. I guess I'll go with the commercial product for now.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Iirc the product "Lemishine" is just a citric acid dishwasher aid, I've used it before to good effect.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nighthand posted:

Iirc the product "Lemishine" is just a citric acid dishwasher aid, I've used it before to good effect.

Looks like Kroger does carry that. I'll keep it in mind for next time, thanks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Where could I pick up citric acid? It's not available at Kroger or Publix or Home Depot. I guess I'll go with the commercial product for now.

I bought mine off of Amazon, probably something like this product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
My Walmart has it with the canning stuff, surprised Kroger didn't have it.