Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if some of the special sauce involves RAMbus going vroom vroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_rzYnXEQlE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

VladimirLeninpest posted:

This is the guy that programmed the PSX core. According to him on discord:

Not sure what sort of special sauce he’s planning, but getting accurate emulation of those 1st party games would be great.

I was wondering if it was possible to only build the processor as 32bit, since most games wouldn't be actually 64 bit since that would require more storage that was already expensive.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Spoderman posted:

i’ve really been hoping you’d buy a 3DO lately

I thought I was going to force this, bought a new 3DO+ODE+HDMI mod and was certain it would come to MiSTer a week later. Though the HDMI mod got delayed and I don't actually have this in my hands yet, so maybe another month or two.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Alright so what are the best low latency options for an N64 pad?
I dunno if the latency is very good on the NSO pad.
Maybe the Hori Octa? That would be nice to use as a Saturn 3D pad as well.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think the mister supports the N64 pad. I tried a bit ago because it’s a decent six button pad with a stick for Saturn stuff but I couldn’t get it to connect

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I imagine that a N64 SNAC adapter will be in development once the core is near an alpha state. The Saturn SNAC adapter has been out for nearly a year at this point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Porkchop whatever guy who runs misteraddons said there is already a SNAC thing for N64.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have a RGB modded N64 and an Everdrive, and yet I would rather run the N64 games on the MiSTer (if possible in the future) just to avoid using that awful controller. I'm surprised to hear anyone would want to use the thing including its stupid fragile stick on the MiSTer, but the more power to them.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Cojawfee posted:

Porkchop whatever guy who runs misteraddons said there is already a SNAC thing for N64.

Hmm yeah I see the bliss box style one is available. That’s good to know. Still that means finding an OG N64 controller in good condition.
I might try the octa as it could double for a Saturn 3D pad, but I dunno if the deadzones would feel right.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I've got an N64 but never got the expansion pak. Those things are annoyingly expensive now and for some reason there aren't really any third party options.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Saoshyant posted:

I have a RGB modded N64 and an Everdrive, and yet I would rather run the N64 games on the MiSTer (if possible in the future) just to avoid using that awful controller. I'm surprised to hear anyone would want to use the thing including its stupid fragile stick on the MiSTer, but the more power to them.

There aren't too many pads with an analog stick, D-Pad, 6 face buttons, and at least 3 shoulder buttons, aside from stuff designed for the N64. You could get away with 2 shoulder buttons since most games used either Z or L, but having the right stick stand in for the C buttons is less than ideal.

So that leaves a handful of fighting pads with analog sticks, the Saturn analog controller, or I guess the original XBox controller.

But there are alternatives to the original now like the Retro Fighters version or an original controller with a replacement stick that would still use the N64 controller port.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The Hori Octa has all of those things.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I currently have a Xbox Series controller connected to the MiSTer and it does not turn on every time the MiSTer does. I have to unplug and plug in the cabel again. It is connected to the USB expansion board. Is this a MiSTer issue or a controller issue?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I’ve had poor luck with Microsoft series controllers on mister. Anecdotal and I don’t know if it’s a known thing but I stick to ps controllers and they work much better Bluetooth and wired

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

bone emulator posted:

I currently have a Xbox Series controller connected to the MiSTer and it does not turn on every time the MiSTer does. I have to unplug and plug in the cabel again. It is connected to the USB expansion board. Is this a MiSTer issue or a controller issue?

That happens with a couple of my usb controllers. keyboard and mouse are always fine, but my arcade stick (mc chthulu usb) and my xbox one elite series 2 both require a replug after rebooting. I also have a saturn usb pad that just doesn't work at all on the mister for me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there any reason why there hasn’t been a Virtual Boy FPGA core made yet? Now that I think about it, I don’t see it being featured on emulation boxes and handhelds either. What’s up with that? Mister has some far more obscure cores than Virtual Boy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I can't answer why it's not on the mister, but there is a Virtual Boy emulator available for the Quest 2 VR headset and it's pretty cool.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Apparently someone is working on a Virtual Boy core for the Analogue Pocket, said they would eventually port it to the MiSTer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Something I'd love to see, which I think just might be possible, is for a Virtual Boy core to work with VR headsets. Most of the early headsets used HDMI and have a mode where they appear as just a normal monitor, so it's at least plausible.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

If anyone had their wifi break after running the latest updates this patch posted on the mister GitHub fixed it for me.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/769#issuecomment-1520889206

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah should've probably remembered to mention that after going through that fix process the other day. You will need to get a wired connection to your router + monitor to pull up what the wired IP is to putty/ssh into the MiSTer but otherwise just running the install.sh immediately fixed it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

katkillad2 posted:

Apparently someone is working on a Virtual Boy core for the Analogue Pocket, said they would eventually port it to the MiSTer.

This is awesome news because I recapped my Virtual Boy and got it to the point where everything powers on and it works but one of the ribbons came loose over time and I'm just not good enough to solder it back into the place and the other solutions for fixing that hasn't been working.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I have Super Attract Mode running on my MiSTer and it never ceases to amaze me how I'll turn to look at a whatever random arcade game is playing and it looks like a fake game from a TV show. So many weird little arcade games.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I've got to look into mine. Lately it just shows the same few games over and over again. It was pretty amazing before though!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

In case anyone in here was looking to pull the trigger on the Guncon 3 for MiSTer, I've got everything you need in SAMart. Guncon's selling for around $60 on Ebay and the laserbear mounts were almost $40 assembled and shipped.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032100

I personally don't have the room for it and didn't realize that until I got it, I would have to rearrange my entire setup and that won't be happening anytime soon. Think I'm just going to get a CRT at some point for light gun games.

Also, I know some people in the thread were singing it's praises but it does seem like it requires some tinkering/setup to get going. I watched a video of that RetroRGB guy having a rough time with it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I definitely refer back to that retrorgb article every time I set it up because I always forget which button to map where.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I'm thinking about buying one of these to work on systems I don't feel like spending the money on like Sega CD and Neo Geo and for all the retro computer cores. It seems like the $600 MiSTer FPGA Pre-configured Bundle through misteraddons.com isn't really that much more expensive than just buying everything separately and putting it together myself? Is that accurate?

There are a bunch of accessories I'd have to get to make it work the way I'd want, though. Would the real time clock add on be easy to add back in to that?

I'd also want the composite/s-video adapter, a bunch of SNAC/SNAX adapters, a better power supply, a mini wireless keyboard, etc. All this stuff adds up fast

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

pyrotek posted:

I'm thinking about buying one of these to work on systems I don't feel like spending the money on like Sega CD and Neo Geo and for all the retro computer cores. It seems like the $600 MiSTer FPGA Pre-configured Bundle through misteraddons.com isn't really that much more expensive than just buying everything separately and putting it together myself? Is that accurate?

There are a bunch of accessories I'd have to get to make it work the way I'd want, though. Would the real time clock add on be easy to add back in to that?

I'd also want the composite/s-video adapter, a bunch of SNAC/SNAX adapters, a better power supply, a mini wireless keyboard, etc. All this stuff adds up fast

The $600 kit is a pretty good setup. I wouldn't worry too much about a real-time clock the mister gets it's time from wifi/ethernet if you have it connected. Plus you can always add a RTC if you wanted later. The whole mister system is very modular. I would advise just buying things as you need them and making sure you like the system first before spending $$$. The SNAC controller setup is best if you're using lightguns or other specialized input devices for each system. If you're playing general games a USB daemon byte controller adapter is way easier and works across many more cores.

You could also just buy a de-10 nano from digikey for $230.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/terasic-inc/P0496/6817231

Add a OTG usb hub $8: https://www.amazon.com/LoveRPi-Micr...ps%2C153&sr=8-5

A stick of memory off ebay: $48
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284890823093

If you want wi-fi and bluetooth a USB adapter is about $18
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YDFZWT8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That will let you run pretty much any core and you can use an existing USB gamepad like an Xbox controller or PS5 controller. That whole setup is right around $300.

If you want to run original controllers you can do that too:
https://www.tindie.com/products/timville/triple-controller-classic-gaming-usb-adapter-v2/

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

mysteryberto posted:

Lots of great info

Thanks, that helps quite a bit. Looks like I could get everything I need to hook it up to a CRT TV and computer monitor with a 512GB Micro SD for about $400 using your suggestions, quite a bit better than what I was looking at. I'll have to give up using authentic controllers for now, but that isn't a dealbreaker.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Oh snap N64 core released:
https://twitter.com/azumfpg/status/1662335239715266562

Well it’s a start and promising for the future.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mysteryberto posted:

Oh snap N64 core released:
https://twitter.com/azumfpg/status/1662335239715266562

Well it’s a start and promising for the future.

This is amazing, hope it goes places

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Oh drat. Wonder how well it'll work out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Framboise posted:

Oh drat. Wonder how well it'll work out.

Not amazing if it can be done (and we are still at a very early stage to know if a serious obstacle shows up later in development).

He has recently talked about potentially having two cores: one that trades accuracy for speed and vice versa, so people can pick whichever works better with whichever game. And that's apparently the best scenario.

Should suffice for most people, though, until better hardware comes out in the future.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Dang, I wonder how that's going to work. The SDRAM is only 1MB I think, and the N64 used 4 or 8 MB. So is someone going to make a larger RAM board or will the onboard RAM be fast enough. I don't know what the access speeds are like with DDR vs RAMBUS.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

Dang, I wonder how that's going to work. The SDRAM is only 1MB I think, and the N64 used 4 or 8 MB. So is someone going to make a larger RAM board or will the onboard RAM be fast enough. I don't know what the access speeds are like with DDR vs RAMBUS.
Robert has a big post on his Patreon with a benchmark core for the MiSTer as well as results to compare with from a real N64 and his general conclusion is that bandwidth isn't an issue for using the DDR3 to simulate RDRAM but latency may be worse depending on what's going on with the Linux side and the scaler. The average performance of the DDR3 beats the best case of the RDRAM so he thinks it should generally be fine, but of course we won't really know how much it actually matters until the core progresses a bit further.

He mentions a strategy to monitor for unintentional delay and "credit" the next memory access by reducing the intentional ones so the average stays in line, but says that this has so far only been required on the GBA core. PSX and AO486 technically run in to the same issue but apparently don't really care, which is why he's not sure if it'll matter for N64 either.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
Are there any security concerns with the way MiSTER handles just storing your WiFi password in a plain text config file? Should I be encrypting something somehow?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

not really unless you use that password many places, even if the wpa key leaks through a malicious core or script it won't be useful for anyone that isn't inside your wifi signal range. I wouldn't worry about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm sure there might be a couple people who it might be a security concern for. In order to exploit this, someone needs to either write a malicious core or script and get it added to the default mister install, or find a way to get their malicious code pushed to an existing default mister core without anyone noticing. Then read your wifi password, figure out your exact location, travel to your house, log on to your wifi, and then do something. But they are already on your network since they are already in the mister, so the wifi thing is kind of pointless. It's possible that someone might go through that if you're specifically targeted and they need to get their device on your network to do something. But that sounds like something you'd see in a schlocky TV show where the nerdy person on the team casually mentions that they injected a trojan into the guy's raspberry pi gaming machine to extract the wifi address with a GUI interface written in fortran.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Cojawfee posted:

. But that sounds like something you'd see in a schlocky TV show where the nerdy person on the team casually mentions that they injected a trojan into the guy's raspberry pi gaming machine to extract the wifi address with a GUI interface written in fortran.
Funny you should mention that!
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/lastpass-hackers-infected-employees-home-computer-and-stole-corporate-vault/

LasrPass engineer is hacked through a similar “DIY Home entertainment” setup, thus compromising their entire company. Mister Fusion and RetroPie all have well known default root passwords.
I think many home routers can be configured to make each device not able to see other devices on the network, isolating damage in such a case.

In other news I finally bit the bullet and got a mister addons setup.
Definitely like how it’s a lot more ‘built for purpose’ and less layer cake project hodgepodge than any Raspberry Pi setup.
I can ALSO see how Analogue has a place in the market for ‘just make it work, I’ve mapped my last button.’

I tried one of the SNES fastrom hacks, Yoshi’s Island crashes during the intro. Never had a PC emulator do that, eh.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
My understanding is that fastrom stuff is patched with emulators in mind, not original hardware. You might have more luck enabling the core's built-in Super FX Turbo with the unpatched game.