Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Resdfru posted:

I ended up not going for one of those because it seemed like a good one that supports a high refresh rate was stupid expensive? Either way you don't need that if your monitor has multiple inputs.

I have both my monitors connected to my pc and laptop dock. Both monitors have 2 inputs. I have the input selection on the monitors set to auto. When I turn off my pc and open my laptop the monitors switch to those inputs.

If you want both of them on for some reason just turn on the one you want the displays on first. As long as the display port currently active is being used it won't swap over. At least with my monitors.

I do have a cheap usb switch with a button to swap all my peripherals to whichever computer I'm using

There's actually a cheap way to set up a single-button switch to swap monitors and other peripherals from PC to laptop and back. Let me dig up my old post.

E: Here it is:

anakha posted:

Unsinkabear posted:

Beautiful. How do you handle swapping that dual monitor + peripherals setup back and forth between your work laptop and personal tower?

I was initially resigned to spending on an expensive KVM switch, but a friend alerted me to this awesome little utility that uses your peripherals' USB connection to trigger a switch in the monitors' active ports.

quote:

usb_device = "2516:013F"

[monitor1]
monitor_id = "hp"
on_usb_connect = "Hdmi1"
on_usb_disconnect = "DisplayPort1"

[monitor2]
monitor_id = "benq"
on_usb_connect = "Hdmi2"
on_usb_disconnect = "Vga1"

One $20 USB switch later, and I was in business.

anakha fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Nice, that looks like it'll avoid those little hiccups when the displays don't switch. Doesn't happen often but still. I'll have to keep an eye on it so I can try it when they start supporting apple silicon

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

If your monitors support DDCI you can use freeware + hotkeys to toggle between your monitor's inputs. I have a G3223Q and Dell Display Manager set to switch between DP (desktop) and HDMI1 (work laptop) on [shift + home].

For the KVM, there's no need for a hardware solution - use Synergy to share mouse and keyboard over the network

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Looking for some feedback / ideas for cable management on a sit-stand setup.

The problem: I'm having some issues with cords snagging on the back of the PC when swapping from sit-to-stand, and just general annoyances with cord slack/pull when swapping heights.

I considered putting the PC on the desk, but that sort of just changes what cords are going to be a problem since I have a bit of an awkward setup where my switch connects to one of my monitors + the line-in of the PC. Putting the switch on the desk doesn't help cause it connects to the TV/router.

Is there some kind of hub that I could use as an intermediary? that way the cord length from the hub to my peripherals is consistent? I have a powered USB hub that sort of helps with USB stuff, but I'm worried it's a little dodgy - one time when I plugged in my switch pro controller into it, I think a bunch of my usb device drivers crashed or something and my USB mic stopped working till I plugged it directly into my PC.

Maybe I'm overthinking things and I just need some good cable ties and somewhere to anchor the cords so they don't get caught on the back of the pc? Just feels like that might be tricky with how spaced out the cords are on the back panel and how close the desk is at the low setting.

There's also the matter of trying to make it nice and clean so I don't have cord spaghetti everywhere, but that feels tough when you do need slack in places.

Also, is there a such thing as a mat that doubles both as a chair mat and anti-fatigue standing mat? I cant imagine something like that would last very long/work very well? The carpet under my desk is kind of already a bit hosed up from when I wasn't using a chair mat, but the chair mat doesn't feel very comfortable to stand on for long.

e: one more - Right now I've shoved my mic (yeti snowball) behind my monitors - it's not ideal - I'm not exactly recording podcasts or streaming so it's not the end of the world, but is there an arm or similar that could get it in a better position without placing it in the way of my monitors? Would positioning it above my monitors but pointing at me with an arm be worthwhile? I saw some mention of low profile mic arms, but I don't think that'd work with this mic since the mic itself is way too big.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 3, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oxyclean posted:

Looking for some feedback / ideas for cable management on a sit-stand setup.

The problem: I'm having some issues with cords snagging on the back of the PC when swapping from sit-to-stand, and just general annoyances with cord slack/pull when swapping heights.

I considered putting the PC on the desk, but that sort of just changes what cords are going to be a problem since I have a bit of an awkward setup where my switch connects to one of my monitors + the line-in of the PC. Putting the switch on the desk doesn't help cause it connects to the TV/router.

Is there some kind of hub that I could use as an intermediary? that way the cord length from the hub to my peripherals is consistent? I have a powered USB hub that sort of helps with USB stuff, but I'm worried it's a little dodgy - one time when I plugged in my switch pro controller into it, I think a bunch of my usb device drivers crashed or something and my USB mic stopped working till I plugged it directly into my PC.

Maybe I'm overthinking things and I just need some good cable ties and somewhere to anchor the cords so they don't get caught on the back of the pc? Just feels like that might be tricky with how spaced out the cords are on the back panel and how close the desk is at the low setting.

There's also the matter of trying to make it nice and clean so I don't have cord spaghetti everywhere, but that feels tough when you do need slack in places.

Also, is there a such thing as a mat that doubles both as a chair mat and anti-fatigue standing mat? I cant imagine something like that would last very long/work very well? The carpet under my desk is kind of already a bit hosed up from when I wasn't using a chair mat, but the chair mat doesn't feel very comfortable to stand on for long.

e: one more - Right now I've shoved my mic (yeti snowball) behind my monitors - it's not ideal - I'm not exactly recording podcasts or streaming so it's not the end of the world, but is there an arm or similar that could get it in a better position without placing it in the way of my monitors? Would positioning it above my monitors but pointing at me with an arm be worthwhile? I saw some mention of low profile mic arms, but I don't think that'd work with this mic since the mic itself is way too big.

For the cables: I'd say just try and anchor them to a point on the desk with something (zip tie squares, whatever) and leave enough slack on the back-end that they have enough room to move up and down. I think you have the right of it that it doesn't matter where the CPU is, it just determines which cables need to be sit/stand managed.

There are definitely mic arms out there and I think there were some good recommendations a page or two back for some low-profile mic arms. It's definitely a thing, although I am terminally Wireless Headset Crew so I can't help there.

As for mats, I have a pretty beefy mat that picks up easily and leans against the wall; when I move to Stand Mode I just shove the chair to the side and toss this loving thing on the floor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V3TO9EK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I mean it's definitely way better standing on it WITHOUT shoes so whoever took pictures for Amazon here was an animal but yeah. It is rigid enough to stand by itself so there isn't really a need for the chair to be able to exist on it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
A while back I converted my kids playroom into an office since I'm full-time WFH. It's nice being out of the basement, and I've been slowly working on getting it finalized. Enjoy the real-world unstaged pics.

Here's what it looked like before:

Here it is as of today after redoing the walls/trim/flooring:

Items of note:
Uplift desk with CPU holder. I built a shelf underneath to hold my UPS, so there is one wire that plugs into the wall and I can easily move my desk if needed (was helpful when I was working on the office).
3x 165hz 1440p monitors (PC), 1x 60hz ultrawide monitor (top) for mac mini.

65" LG C2 OLED is a bit overkill for the small room but oh well.

Small layzboy wall recliner.

I spend a lot of time here and I'm very happy how it turned out.

Future plans may be to get rid of the small desk (it was previously in my son's room) and replace it with something that has more storage. I was considering a harbor freight toolbox to get more drawer storage.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Really dig all those changes. As much as I love burgundy/maroon it's usually a terrible color for carpet.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

Looks the perfect size tbh

Nice setup

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Really dig all those changes. As much as I love burgundy/maroon it's usually a terrible color for carpet.

Reminds me of my 87 Supra tho

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

dreesemonkey posted:

A while back I converted my kids playroom into an office

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I think everything from the 80s had that same gross burgundy color

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

dreesemonkey posted:

A while back I converted my kids playroom into an office

🤴

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

They are old enough that they can be relegated to the basement. See also:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A few days ago my GPU poo poo the bed but thanks to the kindness of friends I have a 'new' one. It doesn't fully run my three monitors and I'm trying to figure out why but it's getting me by. The experience was panicky but humbling and I decided it was time to sell off some music gear I wasn't using. I dropped off my Novation UltraNova, Roland TB-3 and Clarett preamps; as sad as I am to see them go, realistically I wasn't doing gently caress all with them and I could use the money right now. So I did some physical rearrangement:

I will get around to dusting everything, but I'm still considering buying this friend's other (even nicer) video card. It's a Titan XP Pascal, and I'm not sure yet if it'll run in my Mac Pro 5,1 but if it does that's where some of the gear monies are going for sure, because I need that 4K monitor up top for photo editing.

I'm never selling the Virus TI2.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

dreesemonkey posted:

A while back I converted my kids playroom into an office since I'm full-time WFH. It's nice being out of the basement, and I've been slowly working on getting it finalized. Enjoy the real-world unstaged pics.

Here's what it looked like before:

Here it is as of today after redoing the walls/trim/flooring:

Items of note:
Uplift desk with CPU holder. I built a shelf underneath to hold my UPS, so there is one wire that plugs into the wall and I can easily move my desk if needed (was helpful when I was working on the office).
3x 165hz 1440p monitors (PC), 1x 60hz ultrawide monitor (top) for mac mini.

Small layzboy wall recliner.

I spend a lot of time here and I'm very happy how it turned out.

Future plans may be to get rid of the small desk (it was previously in my son's room) and replace it with something that has more storage. I was considering a harbor freight toolbox to get more drawer storage.

Can you post a picture of your cable management under your Uplift desk? I have a standing desk and I desperately need to buy one of those cable trays or something because my wiring looks like poo poo right now.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Triggs posted:

Can you post a picture of your cable management under your Uplift desk? I have a standing desk and I desperately need to buy one of those cable trays or something because my wiring looks like poo poo right now.

I've hidden a lot of the crimes behind the computer. The front and underside look pretty good:

But the back is just chaos. I'm sure I could do a lot better, but meh. The ultrawide and mac mini were newer additions, so they are more barfed into place than usual.

I would highly recommend a cable tray and power strip mounted to the desk. I also like the cable sleeve since I had to mount my computer sideways because of the crossbar, really helps clean the look up.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Awesome, thanks for posting that!

What monitor mount is that and do you like it?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Nice! I have a Powerspec desktop with the 6700k + 970 from 2016, still running strong. I wish I still had a MicroCenter around me. :cloud:

PC kept restarting every 5 minutes while trying to setup Windows, MicroCenter customer service only suggested to hold power button for 30 seconds & if it didn't fix issue (it didn't) to bring it back same day. Replacement hasn't had a single issue, always been a big fan of MicroCenter. The 4070 newer model was the same price as the 3070 Ti which I asked for originally.

I considered setting up work laptop on the 2 main monitors, and I may still do that because I do feel like the right side of the desk is slightly too small to hold the laptop + the 3rd monitor, but I like that I can play games while working/in meetings by just turning to the left.

This Razr Huntsman 60% keyboard is taking some getting used to, there didn't seem to be a keyboard I liked that wasn't the "Clicky" version which I cannot stand.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Triggs posted:

Awesome, thanks for posting that!

What monitor mount is that and do you like it?

This is the triple mount that I have, no real complaints. I'm pretty sure any mount is going to be a bit finnicky to get the initial tension and positioning right, but it seems well built.

This is the tall mount I have. No complaints about this one either.

They do bounce/jiggle slightly for just about any movement happening on the desk other than typing, but I figure that's standard for a sit/stand desk on wheels.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
For monitor mount chat, if you have multiple monitors I highly recommend going with multiple single mounts. Positioning these dual/triple arrays always seems like a compromise and you can never dial them in just right. Just food for thought.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Good point- I have an Apex desk and the edges are angled, too, so that's another issue to contend with.

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I usually agree but I've been really happy with the very adjustable triple mount I have at home (though I'm only using it for two monitors right now). Currently have 2 27" on it but it was good for side by side with a third for a while:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9D7JWP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With two, one mounted on the center pole and one on an arm:

I have a dual arm amazon basics at work and it's awful. There's barely any wiggle room with two 27" displays and it suuuuuucks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

RacistsSuck posted:

I usually agree but I've been really happy with the very adjustable triple mount I have at home (though I'm only using it for two monitors right now). Currently have 2 27" on it but it was good for side by side with a third for a while:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9D7JWP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a dual arm amazon basics at work and it's awful. There's barely any wiggle room with two 27" displays and it suuuuuucks.

What's the big grey box under the TV? Also, how is actually using such a large TV without a curve? I feel like I'd be moving/craning my head WAYY too much.

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

TraderStav posted:

What's the big grey box under the TV? Also, how is actually using such a large TV without a curve? I feel like I'd be moving/craning my head WAYY too much.

That's the center channel speaker that's usually mounted to the wall under the tv. When it's mounted there it's mostly hidden when the desk is raised up to "office mode" height, but is exposed when I drop the desk down when we use the room as our bedroom tv retreat.

At the distance I am from the screen it's the perfect size. I push the tv all the way to the wall and use the keyboard tray to get me the right distance from the screen. I use the desk to my right for mousin'.

The lens effect of that photo probably makes things look wonky, tbh.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

TraderStav posted:

For monitor mount chat, if you have multiple monitors I highly recommend going with multiple single mounts. Positioning these dual/triple arrays always seems like a compromise and you can never dial them in just right. Just food for thought.

I highly agree with this. I currently have a dual monitor mount, and it works, it's fine, but a bit of a stretch. 2 mounts would have been more flexible.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

RacistsSuck posted:

Those are neat wallpapers. Link?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

As always a work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with it. I think the next thing will be a vertical laptop holder so I can put the chromebook kind of behind the monitor. Maybe replace the Ikea plant with another Lego one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Humerus posted:

As always a work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with it. I think the next thing will be a vertical laptop holder so I can put the chromebook kind of behind the monitor. Maybe replace the Ikea plant with another Lego one.

get the bird of paradise, or a vase with one of the various flower sets

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Triggs posted:

Those are neat wallpapers. Link?

They come with Windows 11. I actually switched to them from a photo of my wife and I for the purpose of posting in this thread.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Humerus posted:

Get the Lego succulent set

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bigger question, what is up with that ceiling?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

MrMoo posted:

Bigger question, what is up with that ceiling?

Looks like that is the dreaded "popcorn texture" that was done a LOT in the late 70's and into the 80's.

My old place had it in the second floor landing*, and it is an absolute bitch to get off. You either have to scrape every square inch (dust dust dust EVERYWHERE), you can chemically treat it (softens it, then you end up scraping goo), or you rip the ceiling out and put up new drywall.

* - The worse part was, the previous owner decided that putting it on the ceiling wasn't enough, it was also on all the walls. I ended up stripping it all down to the studs and put in new drywall.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Textured drywall is still a pretty popular thing. Turns out tons of tiny random bumps help knock down a lot of high-frequency echo by scattering sound waves. It's also slightly more visually interesting than a bare, flat ceiling/wall.

But if you DON'T want those, yeah it's a massive pain to get rid of.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah my place has that type of ceiling and I never even notice it.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

rickiep00h posted:

Textured drywall is still a pretty popular thing. Turns out tons of tiny random bumps help knock down a lot of high-frequency echo by scattering sound waves. It's also slightly more visually interesting than a bare, flat ceiling/wall.

But if you DON'T want those, yeah it's a massive pain to get rid of.

It also covers up lovely craftsmanship, the great eraser.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

It also probably has asbestos in it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
You can see vaguely in one of the "after" pictures a spot on the ceiling where I took a powered drywall pole sander to it. Worked really well, but it's just an absolute torrent of drywall compound dust everywhere.

Redoing the ceilings was on the list but with everything else pretty well finished I was so over it I decided to not do it. I'd probably consider spraying/scraping it, but I just can't bring myself to thinking about it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
double post

cadex
Jun 6, 2003

Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire Cat.

Picked up the table for 15 quid a good 4 years ago. Think its a dining table really but it does the job. Keeps the stuff off the floor.
Second chair off to the side for when my son comes to stay so we can turn the right hand monitor round to face him. Plug in his gaming laptop in so we can play some TF2/Minecraft together.
Pretty basic/modest set up for working from home and a bit of gaming. Views quite nice tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Don't get geoguessed