Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Whenever Larry isn't in a Pokemon game, people should be asking "where's Larry?"

but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm still waiting for the moment Larry meets Looker and the universe implodes.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
OH NO! FUECOCO DOWN!

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
I too want an armful of Fuecocos

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't believe fuecoco is hecking dead

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I haven't seen much on the Switch recently besides Tears of the Kingdom, and wow this Pokemon game looks real rough. Isn't this one fairly recent, too?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I own a few games for my switch and they're fun, but yeah. The switch is weak as hell and it shows.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

emmy-nominated gdq commentator thomas patrick

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm applauding this clod so hard, god bless clodsire

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
YEAH LARRYS BACK

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
larry never left us

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So what is baron of shell? It's the only thing from here to the finale that I'm not already hyped for. I don't recognize it.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Based on the name and who's running it sounds like a Mario romhack full of shell jumps.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Agent355 posted:

So what is baron of shell? It's the only thing from here to the finale that I'm not already hyped for. I don't recognize it.

GPB is running it so i'm just gonna assume it's kaizo mario

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ah, yeah that makes sense. That should be fun then.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

There's gonna have to be some bullshit to save the zelda BOTW run.

Twitch donation? Or maybe just admit you set poo poo too high this year and run it even though it doesn't get met.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Alright time for Chrism to Move the Mario real good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agent355 posted:

There's gonna have to be some bullshit to save the zelda BOTW run.

Twitch donation? Or maybe just admit you set poo poo too high this year and run it even though it doesn't get met.

i think botw is perfectly safe, we always see a huge burst on the last day and i expect it to really take off during mario maker 2 which is practically the centerpiece of the event

absolute worst case scenario, they move botw to later on if they really need to but i doubt they will

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It may be, there's normally a big surge at the end, but 600k in 4 hours and change is pretty rough.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agent355 posted:

It may be, there's normally a big surge at the end, but 600k in 4 hours and change is pretty rough.

we've seen half a million in like half an hour before, we probably won't see that this year but i am unconcerned. i'll save my pessimism for if things look bad by halfway through mario maker 2.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 4, 2023

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This is the grossest mario color palette, a crime.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

now this is a great song for big boo's haunt lmao

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is the concept here that some of the locations / actions that usually have stars, just don't, and you're searching areas with the greatest density of possible star spawns?

Agent355 posted:

This is the grossest mario color palette, a crime.

Looks like a rejected Ben & Jerries flavor

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Every are has the same number of stars it normally has, but they're shuffled within that area. He's routed out which 70 stars he's looking for to avoid 100 coins tars or red coins of bad areas or w/e.

So he'll know that there are, for isntance, 4 easy to get stars in TTC, he'll grab those then move on. They're random and he doesn't know where they are, but he knows there are 4 that'll just be hanging out and 1 in a box or w/e.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Ok yeah, this suffers badly from the "almost impenetrable if you haven't played the rando" syndrome that so many randomizers have. Still, it's SM64, and it's always fun to watch Mario bop around real fast.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

LTTP is still the best and most understandable randomizer, nothing else quite matches the magic of that for me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i feel like shen is the wrong guy to be on this couch, i like him in chill pokemon runs but we need someone with more energy who can better commentate what is happening

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i feel like shen is the wrong guy to be on this couch, i like him in chill pokemon runs but we need someone with more energy who can better commentate what is happening

I like Shen being here just to troll.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I really don't see mario maker happening, that incentive amount feels so out of touch

Like are we even hitting 2 mill?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

https://gdq.alligatr.co.uk/comparison/

We're currently behind SGDQ 2017 (which didn't hit 2 million), and we're not seeing the donations pick up as much as they normally do at the end. It does feel a little dire dire docks.

I was hoping that mario 64 would pick it up but this is the wrong category and wrong couch for that. Way too low energy for primetime final day.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 4, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Beasteh posted:

I really don't see mario maker happening, that incentive amount feels so out of touch

Like are we even hitting 2 mill?

mario maker 2 itself is already happening, the incentive is just for a versus showcase and they will almost certainly hit that because the relay is going to get people pumped the gently caress up

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agent355 posted:

https://gdq.alligatr.co.uk/comparison/

We're currently behind SGDQ 2017, and we're not seeing the donations pick up as much as they normally do at the end. It does feel a little dire dire docks.

I was hoping that mario 64 would pick it up but this is the wrong category and wrong couch for that. Way too low energy for primetime final day.

this is a great category but it needs a spikevegeta on the couch

as is, this is like having puwexil commentate mario maker relays

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, and I'm enjoying the run tbf, it's just the wrong energy for final day. Elden ring better do work, I think mario maker is an easy win but I want to see elden ring have a higher energy couch to get people more pumped up.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I strongly suspect we're also going to run into problems with the finale donation rush, simply because the final run is now starting at 2am Pacific time. Hard to build hype toward the finish when everyone is either asleep or dragging.

Agent355 posted:

LTTP is still the best and most understandable randomizer, nothing else quite matches the magic of that for me.

Agreed, that one feels quite legible, though part of that has to be that I've played LTTP so many times and haven't touched SM64 since I was little.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Happy Pride, Gay Bowser!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Agent355 posted:

Zelda 1 randomizer is also pretty good in that respect, since the dungeons can be randomized but the overworld isn't (in geography, enemies can be) it mostly speaks the same language as the base game but recreates the exploration factor.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

It's kind of homophobic how Mario says "so long, gay Bowser" like that.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

That whole run raised like 30k :negative:

I wanna see it pick up.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Zelda 1 randomizer is also pretty good in that respect, since the dungeons can be randomized but the overworld isn't (in geography, enemies can be) it mostly speaks the same language as the base game but recreates the exploration factor.

Yeah agreed. I think the trick to randomizers is you need the base game to be pretty clear in progression. Bombs open bomb walls, hookshot crosses gaps.

Games that don't that (like m64) are missing the psuedo gambling excitement of 'oooh, will the next chest have the important item', and games that are too complicated and/or have glitches that break that format badly (like zootr) become hard to follow.

It's a fine line IMO

LTTP:super metroid combo randomizers or multiworld set ups are good marathon fodder IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kestral posted:

I strongly suspect we're also going to run into problems with the finale donation rush, simply because the final run is now starting at 2am Pacific time.

:psyduck: what the gently caress