Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Tbh I dont know that I've ever seen 'dines in the grocery store, period. Growing up / Living in California, I feel relatively comfortable in saying that I'm the only person I know IRL, living or dead, whose ever eaten canned sardines. Also gotta (slightly) take back what I said about Amazon - I bought a 12 pack of King Oscar in olive oil & Spanish Style, and the Spanish Style case had been smashed in packaging and a tin of 'dines fell out. Amazon refunded the whole thing :hai:

With that said, this is my go-to 'Dine Dish. Some sorta pasta, salad, and bread with cheese spread. The 'dine goes perfectly with everything :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Voice of Labor posted:

beachcliff is like cheap beer. you hit a certain age and you're just too old for it.

the bigger concern, one of the thread commandments, is to not have someone pick up a can of, like, bumblebee in mustard, try it, determine that it's disgusting, then write off sardines entirely

:agreed:

Like dollar store sardines have their place but man if you’re unsure as a newbie those have a good chance of turning you off them altogether

I actually liked the Bumblebee in Mustard as a hot sauce and Triscuit combo

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

breaking a second thread commandment right there:

"eat the bones"

( ˘▽˘)っ <º))))><

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

it turns out I have like genetically bad cholesterol so it's time to eat more tinned fish

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I guarantee if you're in a grocery store in America the sardines are there, right next to the tuna.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My local store only has skinless boneless sardines now, for some reason. King Oscars can get pretty cheap on Amazon, though. I usually buy a few 12 packs when the price drops.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Lately my daughter has been picking up a tin of sardines when we go shopping. I've declined to try them, as I thought they just looked nasty, but maybe I've been foolish. I've never really thought about sardines my entire life, maybe next time I'll give them a shot.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

AcidCat posted:

Lately my daughter has been picking up a tin of sardines when we go shopping. I've declined to try them, as I thought they just looked nasty, but maybe I've been foolish. I've never really thought about sardines my entire life, maybe next time I'll give them a shot.

Your daughter is wise and you have the rare and beautiful opportunity to learn from your children.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Just remember to introduce yourself to quality dines over discount dines

I always recommend king oscar mediterranean for your very first experience. put 'em on a slice of bread if you want to. don't swallow them whole or anything weird like that. bite into them

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 24, 2023

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the best dine is a sprat. a riga gold sprat. the next best dine is what ever you can find or have on hand

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

the best dine is a sprat. a riga gold sprat. the next best dine is what ever you can find or have on hand

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

100% this. They’re so good.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Got a big can of Riga Gold in the stash that expired, uh, Monday. Helluva coincidence that y'all reminded me to check the tin.
Not sure if I should crack them open this summer or let them age another year.
I should probably grab a fresher tin and do a taste comparison.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sprats and dines get real soft as they age. they don't get better. also check the tins and the dates, I had to throw out my entire stash of covid anchovies because the tins were bulging

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if the tin's not bulging it's fine

if it is, don't crack it to double check

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I opened a bloated can of anchovies once and the smell will forever haunt me.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

another attack on the 'dine way of life

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I got a box of cheddar cheese Triscuits and I’ll tell you that flavor doesn’t work with sardines

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah cheese and fish very rarely works together. Triscuit makes a sea salt and dill flavour though and that one is aces with dines.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also try cracked black pepper Triscuits with sardines.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Having fun with the variety of Philippine sardines. Most of them aren’t great but are always skin on, some with really good skin texture even in a lousy sauce.

Tito Mikes OWNS though, the Spanish Style in spicy corn oil is utterly amazing, https://www.titomike.com/products.htm . Beat out every Nordic or polish non-brisling brand I’ve tried so far, even the expensive ones, so I clearly need to go back and revisit them to rebase my scores. Had Riva Gold smoked sprats the same night, and they don’t compare, which surprised me, I’m a fan of brislings and assumed sprats would be similar.

Also a pro tip, if it comes in a jar that implies multiple servings.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Remulak posted:

Having fun with the variety of Philippine sardines. Most of them aren’t great but are always skin on, some with really good skin texture even in a lousy sauce.

Tito Mikes OWNS though, the Spanish Style in spicy corn oil is utterly amazing, https://www.titomike.com/products.htm . Beat out every Nordic or polish non-brisling brand I’ve tried so far, even the expensive ones, so I clearly need to go back and revisit them to rebase my scores. Had Riva Gold smoked sprats the same night, and they don’t compare, which surprised me, I’m a fan of brislings and assumed sprats would be similar.

That sounds like quitter talk.

I do like the Tito Mike's stuff tho and use it as an ingredient for other dishes.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah cheese and fish very rarely works together. Triscuit makes a sea salt and dill flavour though and that one is aces with dines.

Do the steps for carbonara, but instead using a tin of your choice instead of pork. Finish with capers to balance out the richness.

I did this on a lark because I wanted carbonara but last bit of my guanciale went off. I consider this an entirely comparably great dish.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Remulak posted:

Brisling, sprat and skipper are all the same fish.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hell these are good:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

mossyfisk posted:

Brisling, sprat and skipper are all the same fish.

are skippers kippers?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

These jarred mackerals were our absolute favourite until about a year ago everywhere local stopped selling them. They were very pricey, like 8eur a jar

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

portuguese or spanish mackerel is the finest tinned fish fight me

naem
May 29, 2011

56 tins of fish, 52 weeks in a year, approximately zero minutes of prep time to dump onto rice/pasta/veggies etc, I have 1/5th of my weeknight meals planned for a year

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
I've been getting the Minna Moroccan dines off Amazon lately and they're some good stuff. Highly recommend, a cheap and tasty buy.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

sock it to me! posted:

I opened a bloated can of anchovies once and the smell will forever haunt me.

I too experienced the bulge recently and did some anchovies research. Anchovies are not actually preserved/pasteurized like deens, just salted, and can be expected to bulge over time from some really buff but ultimately harmless bacteria, especially if left in a warm place, sometimes before the expiration date. You can make them last longer by refrigerating them.

https://www.kingoscar.com/about-our-anchovies/

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That explains why the can of anchovies I just posted said to refrigerate. I did not and they were also fine. Maybe even better.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

56 tins of fish, 52 weeks in a year, approximately zero minutes of prep time to dump onto rice/pasta/veggies etc, I have 1/5th of my weeknight meals planned for a year

:tipshat: and :golfclap:

Tbh I have thought about pulling the trigger on exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons. Sardines have filled a protein-shaped hole in my heart :3:

naem
May 29, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

:tipshat: and :golfclap:

Tbh I have thought about pulling the trigger on exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons. Sardines have filled a protein-shaped hole in my heart :3:

it was $2 vs $4 per tin in bulk and I got several flavors

p good deal

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

et the safe catch sardines before playing in the woods and they were very very good

et the polar sprats upon returning from the woods. they were also good

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

you loving people turned me into a weird goblin that eats fish from a can over the counter in the middle of the night with at most a little bit of salt added

thank you so much

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've won 3 or 4 kingo oscar haiku prizes since I started shitposting in this fish thread o7

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
A hometown buddy sent me the picture. Just spent the afternoon fishing in his boat at the lake near where he and I grew up in Washington state

i hate him

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Delivery showed up just in time. Almost had to resort to the emergency use only Bumble Bee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

skimothy milkerson posted:

you loving people turned me into a weird goblin that eats fish from a can over the counter in the middle of the night with at most a little bit of salt added

thank you so much

https://www.theonion.com/man-on-internet-almost-falls-into-world-of-diy-mustard-1819571371