Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

what is this one please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

post hole digger posted:

what is this one please

cambridge audio evo. you're not going to like the price, the "cheap" one is over 2 grand and it doesn't do room correction. if you want one of those fancy small all in ones the NAD m10 is the best in class imo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

nice knob but you couldn't pay me to purchase a receiver with a loving touchscreen on it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

nice knob but you couldn't pay me to purchase a receiver with a loving touchscreen on it

good news, it's not a touchscreen!

e: also that's two knobs in one, the outer silver ring is independent from the middle one

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
well the buttons don't look like buttons

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i have no stereo at all right now, and dont know where i'd put one if i did, but i've been thinking about getting one lately and that one looks really cool. i like the wood side panels and overall look of it a lot.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

atmz posted:

my mom just had this guy sitting in storage for decades until I moved back close to home and needed a stereo

no matching turntable, but I got a Yamaha one you can airplay to which is useful & cool

drat that looks awesome. How is that knobfeel

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

that technics one ^^ looks really cool too. i like the lighting on it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

sold on the knobs and switches, but it's got nothing on

that brushed steel look hnngh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
silverface gear is very nice and also extremely bid up. broken poo poo going for $500+, etc

Easy to fix though

After i get set up with my house i may go ahead and track down a yamaha b-6

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jonny 290 posted:

silverface gear is very nice and also extremely bid up. broken poo poo going for $500+, etc

Easy to fix though

After i get set up with my house i may go ahead and track down a yamaha b-6

I feel like there should be a neon grid into the vanishing point on the top of that picture.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the only drawback to those old metal stereos is that they individually weigh 9000 lbs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i need the obsidian obelisk setup

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Volmarias posted:

I feel like there should be a neon grid into the vanishing point on the top of that picture.
or it should be running a nuclear missile defense system somewhere in north dakota

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

the big advantage to those old metal stereos is that they individually weigh 9000 lbs

Protip: If you're buying a piece of audio equipment at a thrift store and you don't know anything about sound, don't pay for specs or a name. pay by the pound. Weight equals power supply beef, and that equals longevity and great performance.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FMguru posted:

or it should be running a nuclear missile defense system somewhere in north dakota

I genuinely, honestly, love the aesthetics of this kind of architecture, and was absolutely thrilled to the gills when it was in Fallout 4.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

Protip: If you're buying a piece of audio equipment at a thrift store and you don't know anything about sound, don't pay for specs or a name. pay by the pound. Weight equals power supply beef, and that equals longevity and great performance.

didn't they start literally putting weights in them at some point though?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I remember for a long time beats headphones had weights in them to make them feel better

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

I'm not sure who "they" are, maybe Aiwa or Goldstar or whatever, but Yamaha hasn't lied once to this day. My main receiver which is in production:

23 lbs

The A8A flagship is 45

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Beeftweeter posted:

I believe you mean "sensitive audio fidelity enhancement material," but I understand if you aren't a true audiophile and can't hear the difference.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm not sure who "they" are, maybe Aiwa or Goldstar or whatever, but Yamaha hasn't lied once to this day. My main receiver which is in production:

23 lbs

The A8A flagship is 45

i'm not sure who "they" would be either, it might be apocryphal. thats why i asked

goldstar is LG though so lol if they ended up doing it

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Jonny 290 posted:

Easy to fix though

I'm pretty sure growing up my dad had one of those silverface Technics tape decks that didn't work and replaced with a black Radio Shack model at some point in my childhood. But of course kept the Technics just sitting on top of the new one. Are you telling me I should have him put it up on eBay for $$$$?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

I feel like i should take advantage of this and pass on the old marantz that I’m not using, but it’s so cool!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Holy poo poo you werent wrong. I just checked my literal trash-picked Pioneer SX-750, which is very much not anything special, on ebay, and :stare:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 7, 2023

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I have that same model techniques sa-500. got it for $25 at goodwill during the pandemic.

they were going for ~$200 on ebay. no idea what they are now.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've never really understood what all those things do. Like route the audio streams to the right speakers? Why are they so big? My phone also plays stereo sound

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

distortion park posted:

I've never really understood what all those things do. Like route the audio streams to the right speakers? Why are they so big? My phone also plays stereo sound

they make it so you can hear the dialog in films and tv shows if you aren't too old yet

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
phones cant drive real speakers

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the little fosi audio things and the other little T*xas instruments class d amps are hard to pass up when i see them

Care to name the competition for Fosi? I've been looking for a replacement for my dying receiver, and that poo poo looks extremely needs-suiting

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Care to name the competition for Fosi? I've been looking for a replacement for my dying receiver, and that poo poo looks extremely needs-suiting

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-mini-stereo-amplifier/

this article picks 3 amps that are basically the same Ti DSP chip. i actually think the fosi audio one is a good pick because they haveseveral options with tone control knobs and more tunable things. some of the others are just volume knobs.

if you search amazon for “TPA3116D2” (the actual audio amp chip) there are also diy kit amps and stuff too

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

distortion park posted:

they can accept different audio inputs and it amplifies them so that you can listen to audio on speakers, yes. the key thing is that it has an amplifier in it that drives the speakers. your phone has an amplifier too but it's only good for headphones. bluetooth speakers have their own amplifier built in, your phone isn't powering them.

they also have a few other things your phone doesn't have like a phono pre-amp (if it is vintage) so it can correctly amplify the signal from a record player, and circuitry to record to tape from any of the input sources, and be able to monitor what you're recording. this was a big selling factor when it was a lot more common to record radio programs and poo poo like that.

they are big because they didn't have the technology to make them small back then. modern ones are the same form factor mostly for conventions sake, I think. Also heat dissipation.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have one of those little Fosi amps to drive my old Sony bookshelf speakers and it works awesome.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

distortion park posted:

i have a little usb-c fiio headphone amp (mine is an old btr-3, there are much better options now) and it's insane what a big difference it is over a phone's internal one. if you haven't tried listening to anything through an amp you really should, particularly if you have good headphones

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

i have a little usb-c fiio headphone amp (mine is an old btr-3, there are much better options now) and it's insane what a big difference it is over a phone's internal one. if you haven't tried listening to anything through an amp you really should, particularly if you have good headphones

yeah they're real good, I have a qudelix 5k and fiio btr7 and they both sound great

also those ti amps are perfectly accessible but as always in audio if you spend a little more you can get some primo ncore poo poo. there's a bunch of diy kits for ncore/purifi stuff too

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-mini-stereo-amplifier/

this article picks 3 amps that are basically the same Ti DSP chip. i actually think the fosi audio one is a good pick because they haveseveral options with tone control knobs and more tunable things. some of the others are just volume knobs.

if you search amazon for “TPA3116D2” (the actual audio amp chip) there are also diy kit amps and stuff too

Ah. My problem is that I need the optical in and sub pre out, which pretty much limits me to traditional receivers.

This is totally The poo poo though, oh my

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it wild to assume that decades of speaker technology advances means that something like a half decent bluetooth speaker probably sounds better than a very good sound system from the 70s

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

echinopsis posted:

is it wild to assume that decades of speaker technology advances means that something like a half decent bluetooth speaker probably sounds better than a very good sound system from the 70s
a lot of those classic speakers aren't very accurate or well designed. that said there's only so much you can do with tiny 2" drivers in your average bluetooth speaker. If you count stuff like this as "average bluetooth speaker" then maybe

on the other hand modern big box speakers made of heavy materials with actual woofers sound a lot better than 70s speakers thanks to better cabinet modeling, crossover design and measurement. you can also get an amp for $400 that outperforms any of the electronics of the time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

Yes

class d amps and nicer speaker surrounds still won't give you 40 hz response out of a 2" speaker

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i have a marantz 2230 and a pair of yamaha ns 645 speakers (I recapped the crossovers) and this set up sounds super amazing to my ears even though they're technically outperformed by modern stuff. so listen to what sounds good to you.

the receiver has a THD rating of 0.5% which is an order of magnitude worse than most modern amps on paper, though I am not actually sure if you can compare them directly since the measurement process might be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i just assume any speaker smaller than like 2 cubic feet is trash