Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's a legacy of the Second Helvetica War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

post hole digger posted:

lol theyre sowwy

guess that google money aint hittin like it used to

i am convinced they are contractually obligated to do stupid poo poo like this every once in a while to keep people eyeballing chrome.

also why do people leave the "allow mozilla experiments" button on or whatever ive never gotten an ad from firefox

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i think they legitimately thought it would be a good ad for their vpn service. i don't know if other browsers also have modals that take over the entire window, but you certainly get ads for other microsoft services in edge or google services in chrome (and even apple services in safari). they probably thought it was fine

at least there's an option to disable it, even if it's technically hidden

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

i am convinced they are contractually obligated to do stupid poo poo like this every once in a while to keep people eyeballing chrome.

also why do people leave the "allow mozilla experiments" button on or whatever ive never gotten an ad from firefox

i dont even know what button that is. asking normal users to opt out of poo poo by fiddling with about :config is bad though imo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

post hole digger posted:

i dont even know what button that is. asking normal users to opt out of poo poo by fiddling with about :config is bad though imo

its like right in the main setting plain as day, even on mobile

"studies" is what i was thinking of

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
also no i dont expect normal users to know or give a poo poo about it but they also arent using firefox and also wouldn't be raising a stink about a random vpn advertisement dialogue

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

son of a bitch didnt even know that was a thing.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
does that actually turn it off? i feel like they would have mentioned it instead of an about:config thing

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i dont know but ive never gotten one of these hosed up "marketing" campaign things they periodically do that causes outrage so... I guess? or maybe ive just been lucky

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
im pretty sure its enabled by default

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/shield

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

huh. i've gotten it on the mobile version before (and yeah, it takes over the whole browser). just checked and it was enabled, so i disabled that, checked about:config and the "browser.vpn_promo.enabled" key doesn't even exist :confused:

maybe it's desktop only?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

does that actually turn it off? i feel like they would have mentioned it instead of an about :config thing

it is listed in my poo poo as a 'study i've participated in' on desktop. :thumbsup:

(i only saw the ad on desktop)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

post hole digger posted:

it is listed in my poo poo as a 'study i've participated in' on desktop. :thumbsup:

(i only saw the ad on desktop)

lol, definitely disabling that poo poo

at least mozilla gives you the option

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how to get mozilla money:

make "firefox pro" as distinct from "firefox community." its costs are as such:
* $50 one-time purchase, good for major version. "major version" may need a good definition, but should be every year or two. maybe upgrades from previous version of pro to current version cost $20
* $4/month. $3.50/mo if you buy a year at a time. $3/mo if you buy two years or more

firefox pro's features are as such:
* the application is called "firefox pro" instead of "firefox community"
* all mozilla/partner-generated advertisement features are disabled by default; this toggle never reverts
* you get to download a .png that says you support the thing that isn't made by an ad company

there, done. it's not gonna be enough to run the company off of, but there's gotta be enough people out there who don't give a poo poo about $3/mo and wouldn't mind paying for a web browser that isn't part of the global capitalist surveillance network (as much as alternatives, at least)

idea copyright 2023 achmed jones, firefox execs please contact me for licensing rights, they'll be cheap don't worry

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

lol nobody's going to pay for a web browser. that ship has sailed

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

like, i don't want mozilla vpn. i'm not gonna give money for mozilla vpn. get the hell outta here with your vpn bullshit that i don't want

but i am ok to pay for software. that's fine. make it explicit ya dinguses!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

i disagree. i'd also pay for search that doesn't get weird on me (but not the $25/mo or whatever that the company is asking for, that's too much)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

i disagree. i'd also pay for search that doesn't get weird on me (but not the $25/mo or whatever that the company is asking for, that's too much)

id pay for search that DOES get weird on me :q:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

id pay for search that DOES get weird on me :q:

txt me and we'll set somethin up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

at least mozilla gives you the option

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

that ship sailed in the 1990s

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

what even was the last one you could buy? netscape navigator? iirc ncsa mosaic was kinda pricy back in the day too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

what even was the last one you could buy? netscape navigator? iirc ncsa mosaic was kinda pricy back in the day too

netscape was the first one to give it away. I think the last browser you could buy was opera.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean there's probably some jackass out there selling rebranded chrome but like opera was iirc the last mainstream browser that was asking for money

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

even opera stopped peddling their paid version like 15 years ago

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its one of the big problems in software today imo. I mentioned it in the manifesto but in a world where all software is free, the only thing software companies can make money from is user data.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

its one of the big problems in software today imo. I mentioned it in the manifesto but in a world where all software is free, the only thing software companies can make money from is user data.
Not all software is free and the software that isn't free is still misusing user data

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Beeftweeter posted:

unless they break ublock i'm not going to stop using it on android

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

mystes posted:

Not all software is free and the software that isn't free is still misusing user data

sometimes even worse than free software

capitalists will chase every single possible penny no matter what

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

there's no absolutes here, so yeah on the free-as-in-mattress, free-as-in-beer and paid/misuses user data, does not misuse user data matrix there are examples in every cell, but generally the free-as-in-beer software is much worse at misusing user data

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

so let's get rid of money as it exists currently

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor posted:

there's no absolutes here, so yeah on the free-as-in-mattress, free-as-in-beer and paid/misuses user data, does not misuse user data matrix there are examples in every cell, but generally the free-as-in-beer software is much worse at misusing user data

i'm not so sure about that, a lot of the paid things usually just don't tell you what they do with the data (or if they do it's not very easy to find)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
every company knows how bad you smell

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

every company knows how bad you smell

jokes on them i gave all of my computers covid

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I get a big lol from the chome adverts that act like they just invented saving passwords and the one with some vague thing about protecting you from "bad websites" or something which I can only assume uses footage of someone getting goatse'd and going "nonononono" trying to close it

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

mystes posted:

I love how we made such great strides in computing performance over the past twenty years and it all went to:

1. churning through petabytes of consumer behaviour data
2. ensuring users are never not looking at advertisements

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I love how we made such great strides in computing performance over the past twenty years and it all went to:

1. churning through petabytes of consumer behaviour data
2. ensuring users are never not looking at advertisements

3. procedurally generating monkeys to rob rubes

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Google Authenticator just tried to get me to opt in to cloud storage. that's the stupidest possible thing you could do with your two-factor auth, yes?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cheston posted:

Google Authenticator just tried to get me to opt in to cloud storage. that's the stupidest possible thing you could do with your two-factor auth, yes?

apparently its a common thing but yes i agree it does seem really dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cheston posted:

if you use google's yes cause its bad. use microsoft authenticator which encrypts things using ur microsoft account before they get backed up in icloud.

backing up MFA keys is pretty much a requirement cause the alternatives are:
1) get locked out of your account forever which means nobody will ever take the risk of turning on MFA
2) use a backup code to regain account access which means saving those codes somewhere (most people will put them in cloud storage)
3) make MFA easily removed from an account when lost making MFA worthless