Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Is this a good place to ask for recommendations? I need a new 40" tv and the online reviews are a hellscape

I'll be attaching a shield TV pro so I don't really care about any of the smart features.

40" doesn't seem to be a popular size anymore but it has to fit in existing furniture.

If you can't find anything better that fits, and you aren't too demanding about things like local dimming, 4K, or HDR support (which I don't think you'll find at anything under 43"), this TCL 3 series would be one of the few options at 40." User reviews seem decent, but there are more reports of early breakdowns than I'd like to see.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-40-class-3-series-full-hd-1080p-smart-roku-tv/6508872.p?skuId=6508872

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My mom has acquired a Samsung NU6900 as a result of selling a house (she's a real estate agent) and I'd like to get some tips and tricks on how I can help her get the most out of it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Just ordered the U8H 75” on sale for Memorial Day, is there a particular wall mount I should get?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dont overthink it. Get the best deal on amazon for that size. Get full motion though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Edward Mass posted:

My mom has acquired a Samsung NU6900 as a result of selling a house (she's a real estate agent) and I'd like to get some tips and tricks on how I can help her get the most out of it.

Start with what RTings says. Is there anything she's interested in using it for? Or can you slap a Roku on it and call it a day becauae samsung menus suck.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

FilthyImp posted:

Start with what RTings says. Is there anything she's interested in using it for? Or can you slap a Roku on it and call it a day becauae samsung menus suck.

AFAIK, she would be happy with as simple an experience as possible.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pseudanonymous posted:

Just ordered the U8H 75” on sale for Memorial Day, is there a particular wall mount I should get?

I bought this one for mine for 39.99. Works well so far.

https://usx-mount.com/mounts/sml015/

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are any ambient light sensors on tvs these days actually decent or do you all just manually change backlight settings depending on lighting?

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

I’d recommend getting one with that extends out from the wall, I didn’t and I regret it every time I need to plug something into a port behind the TV. Which isn’t often, but every time it’s a hassle.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

BigDumper posted:

I’d recommend getting one with that extends out from the wall, I didn’t and I regret it every time I need to plug something into a port behind the TV. Which isn’t often, but every time it’s a hassle.

Thx I got the USX one someone recommended.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Telly free ad-supported television + dedicated advertising screen had gotten a quarter million registrations so far:

https://apple.news/AXQQTOiw6Rz63zvWcUmZkwg
(The Verge)

quote:

On Thursday, Telly revealed it has surpassed 250,000 registrations since announcing its first product last month. So the concept is drawing legitimate interest, even if some people have given it a hard nope over privacy concerns. (Telly says its data and analytics collection will be on par with and no more invasive than other TV vendors, who are often less forward about their data scraping practices.) The company is eyeing consumer homes for now, but it’s easy to see inroads to hotels, doctor’s offices, and other corporate applications.

Commercial buildings make a lot of sense for these, but honestly what's stopping them from running their own ad software and cutting out the middle man?

quote:

Some people have wondered what’s to stop them from covering up the bottom screen or mounting the TV in such a way that it would be hidden. Yes, Telly thought of that possibility, too. It turns out the TV’s software interface makes the idea impractical. TellyOS puts crucial elements down there, including HDMI inputs, volume info, other settings, and the app tray.

AVRs and soundbars still show volume setting due to CEC, so i don't think that's going to stop anyone once they have the unit set up the way they like.

quote:

“If you try to degrade the TV experience, we have the ability to deactivate the television. If you somehow manage to do something to the bottom screen, you’re not going to be able to utilize the top screen,” he said. “It’s a single processor running both screens, so if you mess with one, you mess with both,” added Pozin.

quote:

“This is an agreement, right? Unlike every other TV that you buy today that scrapes all your data without telling you, delivers you ads without compensating you for it, monitors your viewership habits, and sells that measurement without paying you for it... we’re changing that model,” Lawrence said. “In exchange for the change, we’re telling you what we’re doing up front, you’re answering survey questions up front to tell us what you want to share, we’re giving you a $1,000 TV, and there are ongoing rewards every month that you’ll be compensated for in some way.”

lol no way it's going to cost more than a top shelf tcl or Hisense (currently $650 for a 55" u8h)

The stick to the free TV's carrot:

quote:

“If some people try to game and fraud against our terms of service, we’ll kindly ask you to rectify the situation or return the device,” Pozin added. Telly’s service terms previously mentioned a $500 credit card charge would be enforced on anyone that violates the agreement without returning the TV hardware; Lawrence told me that this amount still hasn’t been finalized. But either way, you’ll be providing the company with a payment method before taking delivery. And if you go too off the rails, you’ll need to send it back or risk paying a substantial fee.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 5, 2023

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I'm fine with ads in order to watch tv. That was the original deal.

I'm not okay with paying to watch tv and still having ads. This is double dipping.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

I'm not okay with paying to watch tv and still having ads. This is double dipping.

The article says you can use a Chromecast/Apple tv/etc if you want.

But you're still getting ads on the bottom screen.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Telly also is supposed to be your primary TV. I was considering getting one for the garage but don't want to hassle with a $500 charge for whatever they seem

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is just a curiosity of mine, not a real issue but does anyone else find that upscaling algorithms sometimes do odd stuff to people's faces onscreen?

I have a NVidia Shield and it has some 'AI upscaling' thing you can turn on. It generally does a decent job at fairly recent content. Obviously things like film grain and really bad/low-res rips still look like poo poo, but it's otherwise good.

The thing that gets me about it though is that it seems to make people's eyes look... sunken and shadowy? It's subtle in some content but in others it looks like actors are straight-up wearing eyeshadow. Anyone else experienced anything like this, or am I crazy?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've had this Vizio TV since March 2022 and it's been perfectly fine. Until a couple of days ago.

I woke up to this: two wide vertical bands where the color appears to be gone.

Today, when I got home from work and turned on the TV, the banding was gone.

Since I had purchased an extended warranty (don't laugh, they've paid off three times in the past 13 years), I will be getting a replacement TV, albeit a Hisense model with similar features.

So, what happened here? How did the TV heal itself? I did nothing to it and it was not the victim of a lightning strike or power surge (that I can tell).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Likely flaky solder at some spot that's having intermittent contact depending on thermals.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Likely flaky solder at some spot that's having intermittent contact depending on thermals.

Yes

Also why the power adjust on my car's steering wheel is flaky most of the time, unless it's really hot or really cold out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm looking for a new TV in the 65" range. I'd like to pay under $1000 if possible, but I could push a little above if there's a major reason to do so.

I want a nice image. I know this isn't OLED money, but something with a modern high quality LCD hopefully.

I want a non-obnoxious interface (please no ads).

120Hz and/or variable refresh rate would be cool, but is not totally necessary. One of those "well, for 1200 you can get it" sort of things.

I have one specific feature request: an analog audio output where the volume can be changed with the TV remote. I want this because I hook the TV up to my amplifier and speakers through RCA plugs, and the amplifier has no remote control (nor would I want to use a second remote just to change the volume). My current 10 year old Samsung doesn't control the volume of the analog output when you use its remote, for some reason, only that of the internal speakers. I dunno how common this is.

Any suggestions from the experts in here?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I'm looking for a new TV in the 65" range. I'd like to pay under $1000 if possible, but I could push a little above if there's a major reason to do so.

I want a nice image. I know this isn't OLED money, but something with a modern high quality LCD hopefully.

120Hz and/or variable refresh rate would be cool, but is not totally necessary. One of those "well, for 1200 you can get it" sort of things.

I have one specific feature request: an analog audio output where the volume can be changed with the TV remote. I want this because I hook the TV up to my amplifier and speakers through RCA plugs, and the amplifier has no remote control (nor would I want to use a second remote just to change the volume). My current 10 year old Samsung doesn't control the volume of the analog output when you use its remote, for some reason, only that of the internal speakers. I dunno how common this is.

Your feature request for variable analog audio output is a tough one on today's TVs. I also use an analog amplifier with my TV and I lamented not being able to find a modern TV with RCA output jacks. A few TVs still have 3.5 mm analog headphone outputs, which might work in your case, with a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter.

At the 65" / $1000-1100 price point, I'd be hoping for a deep sale on a Sony X90K or, failing that, a Samsung QN85B. However, these TVs will NOT have the analog audio support you're looking for. You could probably use their optical audio outputs with a D/A converter to get analog stereo to the amp, that's what I do. But this would be fixed volume.

I know some of the Hisense models have headphone outputs, like the U8H, and it also appears to support variable output. The U8H gets good reviews but also has some areas where I feel it's behind Sony and Samsung (like image processing, uniformity, possibly reliability).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

For the analogue output, could you get a device that just does that?

Like I have to imagine that there is some small gubbins you could buy that fills that need and is more likely than finding a TV with this feature.

Something like this maybe (I have never used this so I don't know how good this particular device is.)

Digital to Analog Audio Converter, Friencity DAC Digital SPDIF Optical to Analog L/R RCA, Toslink Coaxial to Stereo 3.5mm Aux Jack Adapter for PS4 Xbox TV Box DVD Amp Home Cinema Bluetooth Transmitter https://amzn.eu/d/eYMGMan

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Headphone jack to stereo rca cable would give you some control over that.

I don't know if it has one, but best buy has the 65" hisense u8h for $950
Or the 75" u7h for $999

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Number_6 posted:

At the 65" / $1000-1100 price point, I'd be hoping for a deep sale on a Sony X90K

However, these TVs will NOT have the analog audio support you're looking for.

I have googled around and apparently the previous generation of this Sony TV, the X90J, does still have a headphone jack. And since it is specifically a headphone jack and not audio line out, I assume the volume is controlled by the TV remote. I'm seeing refurbished versions of it for about $900. That sounds good to me and I'm fine buying a refurbished product. Any issues with that slightly older model, or caveats to watch out for?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

For the analogue output, could you get a device that just does that?

Digital to Analog Audio Converter, Friencity DAC Digital SPDIF Optical to Analog L/R RCA, Toslink Coaxial to Stereo 3.5mm Aux Jack Adapter for PS4 Xbox TV Box DVD Amp Home Cinema Bluetooth Transmitter https://amzn.eu/d/eYMGMan

So yeah, on this suggestion I've looked around and while this specific device will not work for me (optical audio doesn't carry volume information), there are HDMI-ARC to analog boxes that are similarly small and cheap that apparently do take volume commands from the TV and which should do the job. Nice.

Okay so if I remove the requirement of having the analog jack, then the X90K is a good choice? I am going down a rabbit hole of uniformity samples and accelerated longevity tests and reflection handling and other stuff that I have never even considered, and Amazon reviews where people are all just complaining about whatever random problem happened to them, and it's just aaaaaaaaa.

I need to replace my current TV because it's gotten so dim over the years that I can't really see it in the daytime anymore, and it also is purple in one corner. How much am I actually going to notice/care about "blooming around subtitles" and "lighting zone transitions" and poo poo with one of these mid-range Sony TVs?

e: and one other question since this is still confusing. If I use the HDMI eARC port to connect to my audio system, I can still use the other HDMI inputs, right? Like I could have the audio connected to HDMI 1 and have a laptop connected to HDMI 4 and the laptop audio will get passed through the TV and out the eARC to the amplifier and speakers?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 10, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

So yeah, on this suggestion I've looked around and while this specific device will not work for me (optical audio doesn't carry volume information), there are HDMI-ARC to analog boxes that are similarly small and cheap that apparently do take volume commands from the TV and which should do the job. Nice.

Glad that it was of some use. I figured there had to be a $10-20 solution and not "find a TV with this one specific feature."

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

e: and one other question since this is still confusing. If I use the HDMI eARC port to connect to my audio system, I can still use the other HDMI inputs, right? Like I could have the audio connected to HDMI 1 and have a laptop connected to HDMI 4 and the laptop audio will get passed through the TV and out the eARC to the amplifier and speakers?

This is correct. The eARC port supports up and down stream, so when you’re on another input it works just like any other pass through. Depending on your receiver, you may be able to even use it as a video input as well. Example: my Apple TV is plugged into my soundbar which is connected to my TV’s eARC port. When using the ATV says “ARC In,” but if I’m on my Switch, PS5, or XBSX it says “eARC” and passes through the audio feed to the soundbar.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I need a TV to watch antenna channels. I have an extra Chromecast. I don't need any apps on the TV but don't mind them. I will not hook a TV up to the internet ever again if it means putting up with extra ads or buggy app bullshit. What are my options in the 24" range? (It's a sewing station TV, so it's small on purpose.) I think I will never buy my current brand of TV again.

You see, I did have the perfect TV, a little Vizio model. Unfortunately it updated and now I can only get to the antenna channels via their WatchFree+ app, which I have been unable to successfully get to load any actual antenna content with. I can't get it to factory reset to get rid of the update (and then never hook this trash up to the internet again) so I can actually use the TV.

Just as we get extra severe whether that I need to keep up with! Perfect time to not have any local TV coverage at all, except through the internet. I hate technology.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Best Buy's house brand of Insignia TVs come in small sizes and they're some of the last TVs on the market that aren't smart TVs.

Insignia™ - 24" Class N10 Series LED HD TV

Are they cheap pieces of junk? Probably. But they're also $65. Buy two of them and keep one on a shelf in the closet as a spare. That's exactly what my grumpy father does because he hates the idea of smart TVs.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

wash bucket posted:

Best Buy's house brand of Insignia TVs come in small sizes and they're some of the last TVs on the market that aren't smart TVs.

Insignia™ - 24" Class N10 Series LED HD TV

Are they cheap pieces of junk? Probably. But they're also $65. Buy two of them and keep one on a shelf in the closet as a spare. That's exactly what my grumpy father does because he hates the idea of smart TVs.

Thanks! This should work just fine for antenna channels (that never look that good anyway) or some background Hulu viewing.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

effika posted:

Thanks! This should work just fine for antenna channels (that never look that good anyway) or some background Hulu viewing.

Just pay attention to the model numbers because they do also make Insignia Smart TVs in those sizes.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
If this isn't the right thread, I'm sorry, but what's the best streaming device/stick? I have an LG C2 and I'm noticing the built in apps can be a bit iffy. I'm not really sure what to look for.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ryuga Death posted:

If this isn't the right thread, I'm sorry, but what's the best streaming device/stick? I have an LG C2 and I'm noticing the built in apps can be a bit iffy. I'm not really sure what to look for.

Apple TV is the best, IMO, unless you're way deep into downloading stuff and need specific surround codec support or a need to install emulators. If you're using commercial streaming apps or some plex it's great. It's also the most expensive.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ryuga Death posted:

Roku Stick is very solid for the cost/performance ratio.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

qirex posted:

Apple TV is the best, IMO, unless you're way deep into downloading stuff and need specific surround codec support or a need to install emulators. If you're using commercial streaming apps or some plex it's great. It's also the most expensive.

Unless things have changed you want to get the infuse player from itunes and have Plex use that over the default appletv video player in plex, but otherwise yeah it's probably best streamer box at this point if money is no object.

Shield TV if you need more like qirex was saying though I kinda wish I had an appletv now that the nvidia gamestream is dead.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 16, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Apple TV is the best no question, used all the major boxes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah don’t buy a high end TV then stick a $30 box on it. Either Shield or AppleTV and really the shield only comes up if there’s very specific circumstances and you can deal with the gluttony of annoyances Shield users seem to come up against.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All streaming devices suck in one way or another, they just suck at different things. There's unfortunately no set and forget device, you'll have to fiddle with all of them in one way or another.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah don’t buy a high end TV then stick a $30 box on it. Either Shield or AppleTV and really the shield only comes up if there’s very specific circumstances and you can deal with the gluttony of annoyances Shield users seem to come up against.

Okay, thanks. I've never purchased or dealt with Apple products before. Is this the product you guys mean? Which one should I get? Is it easy to hook up and use?

Why is Apple TV the best one?

wandler20 posted:

Roku Stick is very solid for the cost/performance ratio.

I'm seeing a couple of Roku Sticks. I assume I want the 4k one but there's a regular 4k and a 4k plus. Which one is the recommended one?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rokus and Firesticks tend to exist to sell you other products or make money from your continued use (hence they make very low cost of entry devices as well as the more expensive one). Apple TV exists less so to shill their TV service but to provide you with the Apple sheen you get on their other devices at the usual premium price tag. It’s definitely more beneficial if you’re at least somewhat in the ecosystem because all the cloud stuff ties into it really nicely (Apple Music, Fitness, Photos, Airplay etc) but generally the third party apps have more care put into them that on other platforms, and at one point were getting priority stream quality from some even.

I spend 95% of my life in the Plex app as it’s how I watch almost every show and movie and beyond it’s two shortcomings (it can’t bitstream the big HD audio formats if you have a receiver and surround sound, and currently there’s some bug with certain 4K files for some reason) it just flows very nicely. This means you either run a Plex server of your own or have access to someone else’s though, but there’s a reason it’s become such a big app online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The other option is if you have a games Console that supports apps (PS5/Xbox) that can work to.
I use my PS5 and it is great.