Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gripweed posted:

It is funny to me that they made Lightyear, the movie Andy saw that inspired him to buy a Buzz Lightyear action figure, and they made an accompanying Lightyear action figure line available at all major retailers, but not one of the Lightyear figures they made to go along with the movie Andy saw that made him want the Lightyear toy from Toy Story actually matched the Lightyear toy that was depicted in Toy Story.

They do make that figure already, although yeah throwing it in a Lightyear box and putting it with the others would have made sense.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Like, they already convinced kids to buy Buzz Lightyear action figure but it was bold to think they can just do it again.

Anyway good luck on the amorphous blob action figures for Elemental

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like to think the cartoon show also aired in the Toy Story universe and that's what made the character popular rather than the movie (which I guess in universe would have been a big budget live action flick that was pretty progressive by 90's standards)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 8, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Larryb posted:

I like to think the cartoon show also aired in the Toy Story universe and that's what made the character popular rather than the movie

We know that Lightyear is the movie Andy saw that made him want the Buzz figure. That's canon, that's inarguable. The existence of the cartoon within the current canon of the Toy Story universe is, as far as I know, an open question.

This is complicated by the fact that the Buzz figure is not Lightyear merchandise in our universe. There are, as I see, two broad possibilities;

The first is that the merchandise our universe got for the Lightyear movie is wholly separate from the merchandise that was created in the Toy Story universe, despite the movie being the same in both universes.

The other possibility is that both the cartoon and the movie existed in the Toy Story universe, and the Buzz toy was merchandise for the cartoon, not the movie. I think that's the stronger position since the toy and the packaging match the designs for the cartoon far more than they do the designs for the movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gripweed posted:

We know that Lightyear is the movie Andy saw that made him want the Buzz figure. That's canon, that's inarguable.

Did Andy perceive Lightyear as being computer animated or is it just a normal movie to him? If it's the former, it implies their universe was significantly ahead of ours in CGI given it must have been released in-universe prior to the events of Toy Story for Andy to see it. If it's the latter, it implies their universe was ahead of ours in digital photography given the lack of film grain in Lightyear.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This show gave me anxiety and made me sad.

Couldn’t relate

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Lightyear is plainly a Live-Action Remake of the actual Buzz Lightyear movie, a 2D animated feature.

Andy’s doll is not directly movie merch, though, but a much later repaint/resculpt tying into a toyetic animated series. The glow-in-the-dark paint is a dead giveaway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The reason lightyear flopped is no one cares about any of that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lightyear is plainly a Live-Action Remake of the actual Buzz Lightyear movie, a 2D animated feature.

Andy’s doll is not directly movie merch, though, but a much later repaint/resculpt tying into a toyetic animated series. The glow-in-the-dark paint is a dead giveaway.

No they were very clear, Lightyear is the movie Andy watched. It's the only thing we know for sure, it's the only confirmed canon fact. Not a remake, not a reimagining, the movie. If we let go of that we're hosed, none of our statements can be made on solid footing, we can't know poo poo about Lightyear or Toy Story.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

A wizard did it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Holy poo poo that tagline. :boomshaka:

I wanna put whoever came up with that in a Hall of Fame with the guy who came up with House 2: The Second Story.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 9, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

One of my favorite movies of all time. Also Val's first. Also he sang all the songs for real.

The backwards scene in the Swedish bookstore. The underwater fight. The boobs lighting up like ET. So many incredible scenes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

One of my favorite movies of all time. Also Val's first. Also he sang all the songs for real.

The backwards scene in the Swedish bookstore. The underwater fight. The boobs lighting up like ET. So many incredible scenes.

Chocolate Mousse is MVP. "Gasoline. Hahahahaha!"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gripweed posted:

No they were very clear, Lightyear is the movie Andy watched. It's the only thing we know for sure, it's the only confirmed canon fact. Not a remake, not a reimagining, the movie.

If only the creators cared about this beyond the initial pitch. Very little about this movie felt like an actual 90’s movie that a 10-year-old would’ve loved.

The stylistic references should’ve been, like, Lost in Space, Men in Black, maybe Fifth Element, or an adventure movie like The Mummy. Buzz Lightyear is this cheesy, blustery genre hero, going on space adventures as some half-cop, half-cowboy.

In this movie, he’s a withdrawn, self-critical obsessive who barely leaves a depressing dirt planet, then fights his corrupted older self. I don’t see why a 10-year-old would love this story so much, he wanted merch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know a little German. He’s right over there!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Xealot posted:

If only the creators cared about this beyond the initial pitch. Very little about this movie felt like an actual 90’s movie that a 10-year-old would’ve loved.

The stylistic references should’ve been, like, Lost in Space, Men in Black, maybe Fifth Element, or an adventure movie like The Mummy. Buzz Lightyear is this cheesy, blustery genre hero, going on space adventures as some half-cop, half-cowboy.

In this movie, he’s a withdrawn, self-critical obsessive who barely leaves a depressing dirt planet, then fights his corrupted older self. I don’t see why a 10-year-old would love this story so much, he wanted merch.

I think they originally announced it as "This is a movie about the real person in-universe Buzz Lightyear the toy was made after" and then people went "....what?" and they quickly pivoted to the "This is the movie Andy saw" line

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Imagine if half the loving nerds talking about this movie actually watched it.

It would have been a hit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mister Chief posted:

Imagine if half the loving nerds talking about this movie actually watched it.

It would have been a hit.

No you don't understand, we didn't watch it, Andy watched it. It's what made him want the Buzz Lightyear toy. That's why it's important.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Toy Story 2 is about Woody’s back story on a tv show isn’t it.

Can’t wait for that reimagined as a Dead Wood style reboot.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
There's a loving snake in my boot, cocksucker!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Toy Story 2 is about Woody’s back story on a tv show isn’t it.

Can’t wait for that reimagined as a Dead Wood style reboot.

Speaking of, why is it that Buzz (and I think Zurg) was the only toy that didn’t realize they were a toy (a fact that seems to be present in all the models given Toy Story 2)? Otherwise, shouldn’t Woody have had memories from his own show?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I assume it's because Woody was a vintage toy and had a lot of time to realize he was a toy but Buzz was new.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/disneyapromos/status/1667255073301299200?s=46&t=Xa-ndTHTEMwCNBHSL5NA0g

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe anal beads aren't as well known in other places

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

kiimo posted:

No, they are, it’s from a deleted scene.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Elegant string of pearls configuration…

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

kiimo posted:

You know that there’s such a thing as non-anal beads, right? They’re called regular beads, and there’s evidence that they even predate anal beads.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gripweed posted:

You know that there’s such a thing as non-anal beads, right? They’re called regular beads, and there’s evidence that they even predate anal beads.

You know that there's such a thing as non-serious jokes, right? They're called boring posts and there's evidence that they aren't fun

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
As long as there have been beads, there has been anal beads

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Batman’s parents die but the robber grabs Martha’s anal beads

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

kiimo posted:

You know that there's such a thing as non-serious jokes, right? They're called boring posts and there's evidence that they aren't fun

Oh yes, gripweed's extremely familiar with those.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They’re not anal beads, they’re dragon balls

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Gripweed posted:

I got news for you buddy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/hatergawas/status/1667379003328716800?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Those do not look comfortable to stick up your butt

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

feedmyleg posted:

Those do not look comfortable to stick up your butt

Comfort is not the point.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

All I want for Christmas is a Tony Jaa vs Iko Uwais fight. Give it the whole running time of the movie, I don't care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtRuGyz-Q7I

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CharlestheHammer posted:

As long as there have been beads, there has been anal beads

Being an anus manipulator is the world's second oldest profession.

The oldest profession is bead-maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION