Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

qirex posted:

sap requires you to immediately change all your internal processes to fit its working model, salesforce pretends it can adapt to them

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"we will not be customising this platform, it works out the box" is such a red flag lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will say this, working on big enterprise bullshit software sucks but it sucks a lot less than working on anything general consumer facing

sales people are annoying but usually not 24/7 actively harmful like marketing folks plus the timelines aren't measured in hours

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Shaggar posted:

if you have salesforce it means your management is poo poo
Everyone uses salesforce outside of the tech sector. No idea about in it, altho the tech companies I've worked at have used it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Beeftweeter posted:

scuttlebutt is reddit wants to ipo so they're letting all the bots slide to juice the numbers after all of the third party clients stop working

i don't use reddit so i don't know how much of a problem that is but a bunch of people in doomsday econ over in cspam are real mad about it

It's really funny that all these social media websites hung out that stuff out for free or cheap so they could get all the traffic, and then rug pulled.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Khorne posted:

Everyone uses salesforce outside of the tech sector. No idea about in it, altho the tech companies I've worked at have used it.

a 20% marketshare is the biggest single vendor, but by all means its not everyone

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
crm above a certain size is high touch sales, the deals are slippery pigs and highly random

mystes
May 31, 2006

slippery pigs?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

we pay $$$ for the fancy "shield encryption" (border encrypt/decrypt basically) and someone told me it's useless because the sales guys just put everything in the comments and not the protected fields lmao

for actual sales maybe yeah, for all the other bullshit absolutely not

does MS still make Dynamics?

dynamics still exists and sales weenies will whine to the heat death of the universe if they have to use it instead of the one their friends use

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dynamics can get to be incredible abominable dog poo poo, just like sfdc, oracle, etc etc

its a fully programmable dealio but only programmed by people who are willing to basically dive into a totally inferior environment and ecosystem

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i once got 10 menus deep in dynamics

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

mystes posted:

slippery pigs?

and highly random

mystes
May 31, 2006

slippery stochastic sales pigs

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

distraught to learn anyone uses salesforce for anything other than sales

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

qirex posted:

I will say this, working on big enterprise bullshit software sucks but it sucks a lot less than working on anything general consumer facing

also, it’s better than working on some in-house bullshit built by some yokel

i can say this as one such yokel who has made such bullshit in the past

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

well-read undead posted:

also, it’s better than working on some in-house bullshit built by some yokel

i can say this as one such yokel who has made such bullshit in the past

we have manufacturing client that is in the process of rolling their own erp via their partner company in india, i can't wait to see the result

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only thing worse than sap is any alternative to sap

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mystes posted:

foreverially slippery, fully stochastic and loving it

well-read undead posted:

distraught to learn anyone uses salesforce for anything other than sales

wait until you hear what people do with Excel!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have no less than three logins for managing being a vaccinator and they all use sales force

running a covid vaccinating clinic feels so incredibly shoehorned into salesforce, the amount of steps and windows to walk thru when doing a vaccine really harshes my vibe, and there are so many minor ux decisions that drive me slowly mad, maybe they’re inherent to salesforce, it’s tiny things like we enter an NHI which is unique health indentifier code but you can’t type it in and press enter you have to use the mouse and click the button :cry:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

and highly random

this slippery pig keeps saying 'this is my spork of doom xd' wtf

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

wait until you hear what people do with Excel!

i’ve seen the drupal killing fields, nothing can shock me

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

hobbesmaster posted:

“how many salesforce instances do you have” is one I didn’t think would have to be asked until I got to a bigger company

“how many distinct sap systems will i have to interact with in my first three months?”

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
aren't sales folks incentivized to not make their lead info accessible or useful to other sales folks in the company

we use salesforce at work. other than the list of customers in the application db having a salesforce id column i never interact with it or know what the sales people do with it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

salesforce helps sales people impress their boss and show fancy charts and dashboards proving how important and valuable the sales people are to the company.

that's the secret to its success

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

the appearance of usefulness

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
am I wrong to think that our govt relying on salesforce to build its new universal immunisation registry is a bad idea

this country has the potential to be somewhat self reliant but god drat neoliberalism has fuckin gutted this country for a quick buck

seems loving obscene that we let other countries buy our farms and our banks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wayne Knight posted:

the appearance of usefulness

don’t doxx me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

am I wrong to think that our govt relying on salesforce to build its new universal immunisation registry is a bad idea

this country has the potential to be somewhat self reliant but god drat neoliberalism has fuckin gutted this country for a quick buck

seems loving obscene that we let other countries buy our farms and our banks

just buy them back.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what if they dont offer them up for sale

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
everything's got a price. you gotta be talkin to the right ppl tho

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

mystes posted:

slippery stochastic sales swines

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

everything's got a price. you gotta be talkin to the right ppl tho

I don’t think we can afford it

neoliberalism is a sweet sweet poison

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i was thinking during the lockdown period that its real good airnz is 51% state-owned because otherwise theyd have cut all those unprofitable flights and there'd have been no way to get in or out of the country at all

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i literally don't care. we have a containment thread for a reason. maybe a helpful poster can link to it

PIZZA.BAT posted:

please don’t do this

sorry. 😔 i won’t from now on.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate she’s all good

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mystes posted:

30-50 slippery hogs

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

qirex posted:

the only thing worse than sap is any alternative to sap

yeah.
working at intel the path was always buy the best software, ruin it through customization, then try to fix it through further customization. then one department gets annoyed enough with the enterprise deployment of that software that they stand up their own departmental instance and follow the same pattern.

then a decision maker goes to a conference workshop where SAP woos the crowd by showing how the software makes compliance with the new and upcoming scary IRS or GAAP rule really easy. decision maker tells one of their people to go get it, and the SAP rep delivers the bad news that their software of Theseus deployment hasn't been updated in 8 years and that a version update will surely break all the accumulated tech debt from customization built on top of it. the best answer is to spend several years and lots of money to fix the underlying problem, but the decision maker knows that they'll be in a different role or company by then so they build yet another custom module on top of the house of cards.

that said i thought salesforce was a lot like a luxury car. a perfectly fine experience so long as you're not the one paying for it or the one responsible for making it work.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i once got 10 menus deep in dynamics

i hope you were wearing protection

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

I don’t think we can afford it

neoliberalism is a sweet sweet poison
like lead in wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

doesn't sound that bad, I'm a wastewater treatment operator and SAP exposes all of our vendors' bank account and routing numbers to me

e: oh the conversation already moved on to SAP lol I was replying to salesforce chat

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 10, 2023