Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

Most of those stable and prosperous societies are propped up by violence against an oppressed underclass.

Sure, there have been plenty of societies which aren't. Historically, they tend to become the oppressed underclass of those that are, if they're not outright exterminated.

Yeah exactly. Some parts of the population get some peace for small amounts of time but in general even the most prosperous and peaceful nations are only that way because of the marginalization of others. Which can be easy to overlook when you aren't the one who happens to be suffering.

It's a bit of a moot point because KSBD is still a work of fiction and does not have to conform to real world standards of anything. Though I don't think real world examples refute what Maya is saying here.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Tenebrais posted:

So. Is that The Question?

And if so, who answers?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Let's have an argument.

"I have just killed you." "No you haven't."

That's it. That's the Sword of Maybe. It can kill a god if you can convince the god you've killed it. But it works both ways. Allison must assert her will to live over Maya's will to kill her.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yeah I don’t think “hey, the world is amoral and those who would make a less violent world seem to require violence to do it, and all peace is impermanent” is actually baby poo poo.

It’s a pretty horrifying statement, that there is no final revolution, no end to history, no permanent good. This is an existentially nauseating thing to think about! Especially in the context of figures like Incubus who draw justification for their actions from that very impermanence and that inevitability of violence.

“Violence is inescapable” is like, a key concept in the comic. Now, is Allison’s response going to be “sure but gently caress that, we should do what we can and live with purpose, give me the sword”? Maybe! It would fit her “if I’m in hell I guess I’ll enjoy myself” from before, and Kassardis’ forever running towards an unreachable utopia.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

also these are actual gods talking, primarily limited in their capacity to remake the world by the horizons of their own imagination, not some fuckin schmo with a few soldiers to boss around or child of the metropole reassuring themselves that the logic of empire is eternal and unquestionable. Allison literally has the power to establish a permanent end to violence if she so desires, all the material obstacles constraining ordinary people have been solved, the remaining issue is what that would look like.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The whole point of Maya teaching it this way is that she knows it's a difficult question. It's easy to say violence is bad but hard to actually follow through with an alternative.

But Allison is poised to inherit the literal throne of God - she may actually have the power to change things for the better. She's going to have to figure that poo poo out or just end up perpetuating the cycle. Maya is trying to make her the person she could not become - if it was simple she would have done it herself.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Good sound design on this page. The little tp tp tp from Maya's sandals as she paces, followed by the —shhhhh as she takes a stance to strike.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is a page really complete without a foreboding DOOM onomatopoeia

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Maya got wormed ages ago and this is gog usurping the key. Learn to read the text fools

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah I don’t think “hey, the world is amoral and those who would make a less violent world seem to require violence to do it, and all peace is impermanent” is actually baby poo poo.

It’s a pretty horrifying statement, that there is no final revolution, no end to history, no permanent good. This is an existentially nauseating thing to think about! Especially in the context of figures like Incubus who draw justification for their actions from that very impermanence and that inevitability of violence.

“Violence is inescapable” is like, a key concept in the comic. Now, is Allison’s response going to be “sure but gently caress that, we should do what we can and live with purpose, give me the sword”? Maybe! It would fit her “if I’m in hell I guess I’ll enjoy myself” from before, and Kassardis’ forever running towards an unreachable utopia.

i think kassardis is even more important than he seems, and bandaging up the worst people in the entire universe is part of how to smash the wheel

examples: mottom, mammon, solomon david

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Maya didn't say Toki wo tomare, 0/10 page

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Reclaimer posted:

*your pals

*your pal

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

IMJack posted:

Let's have an argument.

"I have just killed you." "No you haven't."

That's it. That's the Sword of Maybe. It can kill a god if you can convince the god you've killed it. But it works both ways. Allison must assert her will to live over Maya's will to kill her.

The Maybe Sword is, plain and simple, a lie. The sharpest thing in existence, if you can convince existence to believe it to be so.

Royalty works in much the same way.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

also these are actual gods talking, primarily limited in their capacity to remake the world by the horizons of their own imagination, not some fuckin schmo with a few soldiers to boss around or child of the metropole reassuring themselves that the logic of empire is eternal and unquestionable. Allison literally has the power to establish a permanent end to violence if she so desires, all the material obstacles constraining ordinary people have been solved, the remaining issue is what that would look like.

She may have the power to make, but first she has to protect, and then she'll have to protect what she makes after.

How does she protect anything against Jagganoth and the next Jagganoth a million years down the line?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm not worried. She's only maybe dead.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

We're finally getting to the part where the true hero of the comic, 24 Liminal Blossom Punctures the Heart of the Unrepentant, Deliciously is (re) introduced to the story.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

M_Gargantua posted:

She may have the power to make, but first she has to protect, and then she'll have to protect what she makes after.

How does she protect anything against Jagganoth and the next Jagganoth a million years down the line?

Create a system in which jagganoths are not produced to begin with? Alternatively, even if violence may be inescapable you could still change what violence actually is, and the conceivable bounds of it? Resetting the world to go 100000 years before another Cain and Abel incident wouldn't be a flawless record but it'd be a pretty drat good run

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
0.000% of Royalty has been built. Evil child-murdering Demiurges still rule the world with a poo poo-eating grin. All she has managed to do is make herself *sad*. She is starting to suspect Meti *hosed her over* personally with her training. It has, however, made her into a very, very good swordsman with something like a university degree in Cutting. Instead of seeking Royalty, she now teaches a precise technique of this grotesque, duplicitous art.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Allison self realizes she is not in fact dead and has a choice.

edit: you learn the maybe sword by being sure that is it there, it helps if you have felt it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Shadowlyger posted:

The Maybe Sword is, plain and simple, a lie. The sharpest thing in existence, if you can convince existence to believe it to be so.

Royalty works in much the same way.

On further consideration, I have misspoken.

It's not the Maybe Sword that is a lie, but the cut that it makes. The Cut is a lie.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm reminded of two children playing pretend.

Except it's not pretend. It's very real.

Or is it?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Just grit your teeth and walk it off Alice

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Grognan posted:

Allison self realizes she is not in fact dead and has a choice.

edit: you learn the maybe sword by being sure that is it there, it helps if you have felt it.

Nah. She needs to convince Maya that she didn't cut her. Or need to cut her. Or something along those lines.

Retroactively negate the "maybe"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A Terrible Person posted:

Nah. She needs to convince Maya that she didn't cut her. Or need to cut her. Or something along those lines.

Retroactively negate the "maybe"

I think she needs to convince herself and the world that she wasnt

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
She needs to pull a Zoss and decide she isn’t going to be stopped even if her head (or upper torso here) isn’t attached.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

She can already stand on a nonexistent leg with the power of gently caress You, That's Why, what's a few more bodily functions added to the list?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Phy posted:

YOU HAVE BEEN KILLED. DO YOU WANT TO DIE FROM IT? Y/N
>_

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm reminded of two children playing pretend.

Except it's not pretend. It's very real.

Or is it?

The Maybe sword doesn't work because I put up my forcefield. And not just any forcefield, my anti anti-forcefield forcefield :smug:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I'm not cut! I'm not cut! I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and turn into a girl who has been cut in half

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

She can already stand on a nonexistent leg with the power of gently caress You, That's Why, what's a few more bodily functions added to the list?

Seriously. You could hardly conceive an easier test for the Queen of Furious Dumbassery

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

YaketySass posted:

0.000% of Royalty has been built. Evil child-murdering Demiurges still rule the world with a poo poo-eating grin. All she has managed to do is make herself *sad*. She is starting to suspect Meti *hosed her over* personally with her training. It has, however, made her into a very, very good swordsman with something like a university degree in Cutting. Instead of seeking Royalty, she now teaches a precise technique of this grotesque, duplicitous art.

You know who else challenged the cyclical nature of the universe?

Contact Mike.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

that's the "if the world rewards violence" part. Jagganoths don't just spontaneously manifest out of thin air on a regular schedule, he was created at great expense by the most powerful people on the world to help maintain their control. He's a big fuckin sword the previous administration chose to live by and are gonna end up dying by; he's effectively impervious to violence, to which Allison's go-to solution is to seek out previously unimaginable levels of violence, which kinda sets the tone for her problem solving going forward and yeah guarantees more and worse Jagganoths in the future

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 10, 2023

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Solomon David is also worth considering: he got to his position through massive violence, and he maintained order through violence, but even more than that: he was aware that all it would take to topple him would be one person who can do even more violence than he can. The tournament was supposed to be about finding them, but as we see from Jagganoth, that was a vain hope. Someone who could do more violence than him could just show up whenever.

This doesn’t just mean that any society can be wrecked by a stupid rear end in a top hat with sufficient violence, though that is true; it also means that the society which exists needs to have some threshold of violence it can resist. How do you resist a violent antagonist? Well, you do violence more effectively, you have institutional violence-doers of some caliber, like a military or a peacekeeping force or a militia, etc.

While one may beat swords into plowshares, the question is how to have swords in reserve without coming to be ruled by them. There’s a lot of solutions a society can put forward, but none of them are permanent and perfect. Violence has yet to be brought to heel; most solutions suggested are along the lines of “people in the new and better world will have no desire to do violence” which would be cool, but it’s a purely hypothetical social order that neither needs to defend itself from other societies nor has any violence performed by the state.

E: which means I think that actually the answer that makes the most sense to me is “There is no permanent solution but we can make the conditions under which we grapple with the problem a lot better.”

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I feel like this theoretical will be like that "invention of lying" movie, which I haven't actually seen - here's this beautiful universe where things are peaceful. One day some body decides "what if I just take this thing I want?" And discovers that there is nothing stopping him. Violence invented, peaceful universe in chaos and what is everyone to do?

And if you, the narrator or God of this universe stop him, you have just invented violence in return.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
YISUN had a universe without violence, and he decided to invent violence by killing himself, then fighting himself, then loving himself. Existence is contrast and conflict of one sort or another. The ideal world just leans more toward the loving than the fighting part.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rotten Red Rod posted:

She's going to have to figure that poo poo out or just end up perpetuating the cycle. Maya is trying to make her the person she could not become - if it was simple she would have done it herself.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I mean if stinky boi has already shrugged off being beheaded by the Maybe sword perhaps its not poo poo after all. Jagg will no sell that so hard

Once Allison reassembles herself she should think about that!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

maybe more swords as plowshares, like Maya using the sword as a laundry rack. Maya gave up her swords and lost her family. But if she had done her pruning with a sword she would have been ready on her vegetable farm

Also Allison needs to stop reminding Maya she was to protect her, it keeps earning her increasing punches to the face (cut in half)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that's the "if the world rewards violence" part. Jagganoths don't just spontaneously manifest out of thin air on a regular schedule, he was created at great expense by the most powerful people on the world to help maintain their control. He's a big fuckin sword the previous administration chose to live by and are gonna end up dying by; he's effectively impervious to violence, to which Allison's go-to solution is to seek out previously unimaginable levels of violence, which kinda sets the tone for her problem solving going forward and yeah guarantees more and worse Jagganoths in the future

An immediate problem with Allison's plan to obtain unimaginable levels of violence is that, if she's able to stitch herself back together here through key-enhanced force of will, there's a pretty good chance that even if Jagganoth can be cut by it he could also un-cut himself with most of the demiurge keys and his own much stronger will. It's even possible that is the lesson that Maya is trying to impart here.

So it might not even be about precipitating worse Jagganoths in the future, it might be about being impossible to remove even the current Jagganoth using the Maybe Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

M_Gargantua posted:

The ideal world just leans more toward the loving than the fighting part.

Someone photoshop Maya's head into this pls