Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Toshimo posted:

2. Lorcana hasn't yet printed mechanically unique promos, to my knowledge (all the D23 promos are just alt-arts of the base set), and Ravensberger really should know better than to do that, as it's a death sentence for any real competitive play (and yes, I know 99% of the sales for this are casuals, but it really takes any sort of word-of-mouth off the table, except clickbait).
I may be losing track of the double negatives here but are you saying mechanically unique promos are a good thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
No.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Poor shadowrun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_szmwfkvqRk

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Cheers, it read initially as "Ravensberger really should know better than to (not print mechanically unique promos) because (not printing mechanically unique promos) death sentence for any real competitive play

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Is shadow run the one where there's a class who gets to hop on the internet and play a completely different and unrelated game

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The most realistic part is how it is just the DM and the hacker arguing about the rules while everyone else do nothing.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ominous Jazz posted:

Is shadow run the one where there's a class who gets to hop on the internet and play a completely different and unrelated game

That's the one. It's also (usually) a much worse game than the rest of it, at that!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Capfalcon posted:

That's the one. It's also (usually) a much worse game than the rest of it, at that!

Looks like it's safe to grab some chips the hacker has to talk to the internet that has the face of his father for some reason for twenty minutes or sk

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The best Shadowrun game I ever played was when we were all deckers.

But SR isn't the only culprit, pretty much every cyberpunk game in the 80's/90's had a seperate game for hacking.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bucnasti posted:

The best Shadowrun game I ever played was when we were all deckers.

But SR isn't the only culprit, pretty much every cyberpunk game in the 80's/90's had a seperate game for hacking.

Honestly it's only with RED that actually just went and integrated decking alongside physical stuff that Cyberpunk finally ditched the notion.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Cyberpunk was my jam back in the day and I made it a point to buy and read every new game in the genre up until the 2000s, with the exception of Spacetime(as far as I'm aware the first CP TTRPG), I can't think of any games that didn't have a bespoke hacking system, and strangely I think I would have been disappointed if I one didn't have it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

lol @ everything

SimonChris posted:

The most realistic part is how it is just the DM and the hacker arguing about the rules while everyone else do nothing.

qft

The most unrealistic thing in the vid is that you cannot mathematically fail even the most basic of actions despite having a skill level described as being equal to that of a trained surgeon or doctor. The dice pools are so drat swingy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ominous Jazz posted:

It's so iconic to the game that in RPG design spaces it's called the Decker Problem because Shadowrun calls their hackers "deckers".

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Have any cyberpunk RPGs tried to involve the other players in the hacking process? Like, maybe the hacker can take the rest of the group with him into VR, and they fight off the security programs while he secures the data thingy?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even in the actual Neuromancer Case usually is in the matrix while Molly is doing real world combat and they inform each others' actions.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SimonChris posted:

Have any cyberpunk RPGs tried to involve the other players in the hacking process? Like, maybe the hacker can take the rest of the group with him into VR, and they fight off the security programs while he secures the data thingy?

There were some handwaving at this in Shadowrun with "Foundations" which were basically throwing out the old matrix rules on a sometimes basis and treating the matrix like "the real world" where they used their normal skills for things. It was a mess, as it was unclear why the decker/technomancer would suddenly make doing their job harder for themselves, or why the GM wouldn't just make a comparable scenario in the real world, since it just used real world skills, anyway.

SR has always needed a matrix rework to fix how deckers contribute to the team, how VR splits the group, and how exclusive matrix actions are to people who spent a ton of resources for them in character creation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Shadowrun 4 made the Matrix wireless which led to hacking guns on the fly and poo poo.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shadowrun 4 made the Matrix wireless which led to hacking guns on the fly and poo poo.

It also, at least theoretically, lead to the opposition doing the same. It was an rear end in a top hat GM who would throw an enemy hacker at the PCs, since there was little they could do about it. Which lead to another debate of "why does my gun/cyberarm need to be wireless, when it worked just fine without it before"? "Because"

Even then, the action economy was often so bad that the decker would contribute more just by picking up a gun and shooting at them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
My hot take is, in a cyberpunk-ish adventure game, the hacker is about as worthwhile an archetype as having 'merchant' be an archetype in the party in a dungeon delving fantasy game. They both kinda have very little to do with the day to day stuff of what happens and i think the games work better with players as different flavors of gun havers.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It also, at least theoretically, lead to the opposition doing the same. It was an rear end in a top hat GM who would throw an enemy hacker at the PCs, since there was little they could do about it. Which lead to another debate of "why does my gun/cyberarm need to be wireless, when it worked just fine without it before"? "Because"

Even then, the action economy was often so bad that the decker would contribute more just by picking up a gun and shooting at them.

It was real dumb though. It was trivial to turn off the wireless links on any of your gear so it was no longer hackable, which meant either your opposition had to be brain dead, or your decker didn't get to do any combat hacking.

I ended up houseruling that decks could put out a short-ranged chain of nanobots that could infiltrate enemy gear and effectively make a "signal chain" back to the hacker, even if the enemy gear had wireless turned off. I like my hackers to be machine wizards.

Panzeh posted:

My hot take is, in a cyberpunk-ish adventure game, the hacker is about as worthwhile an archetype as having 'merchant' be an archetype in the party in a dungeon delving fantasy game. They both kinda have very little to do with the day to day stuff of what happens and i think the games work better with players as different flavors of gun havers.

Eh, in a game with non-poo poo rules for hacking, having a dude along who can loop all the enemy camera feeds, open any electronic lock, shut down the cyberware of opposing fighters, turn enemy robots over to their side, blow up steam vents, turn all the lights off or make them blindingly bright, take over opposing vehicles, and steal data from computers and wreck said computers causing huge amounts of property damage could be worthwhile.

Gort fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 20, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing, the normal fixes stop the hacker being a "hacker", they just become a technomancer.

Even in fiction they're normally playing a different game. The hacker is often just a payload to be delivered.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hackers in an adventure game are literally R2D2. You plug into the base's computer and stand off to the side trying not to get noticed while the heroes rescue the princess, and if you do get discovered, most of your poo poo involves running away and advanced running away with a smattering of breaking out of traps so you can run away.

This is cool in a movie where you're a supporting character and it's OK if you're not on screen for twenty minutes but it's not cool in an RPG. The basic problem with hackers in RPGs is that hacking involves standing still at a terminal doing boring nerd poo poo while action people do action stuff and the action stuff is way more exciting and that's why...

...you should structure games like this as one of those games where you have a main character and each player also has at least one supporting minion as well, a minor character who can do helpful stuff but can also be out of scene for exteneded lengths of time, and occasionally can be the focus when the main character is tied up. Someone has a hacker as their sidekick. Or hell, the whole team can have hacker sidekicks, have a whole LAN party going on back at base with your secondary people while your primaries are out in the world being fun.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I literally just watched Hackers(1995) the other day and was trying to think of how you would emulate that type of action in a RPG. I really just want a move that goes "When you hack the gibson..."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Probably the best way to handle "action hacking" would be to have a sci-fi world so IoT'd that there's always something for them to do. Fighting in a corridor? You can make a vending machine go berserk, trigger the sprinklers, turn off the lights or cause a cleaning drone to come zooming out and bump into enemies. In a car chase? You can deploy bollards out of the road, make another car's auto-steering go haywire, confuse the enemy GPS, turn on their auto-driving, etc.

Just treat it like Science Magic of some sort, and have a bunch of effects they can call on X times per scene, or using Hacking Mana(running out of either means that the exploit they were using has been patched, or they've been blocked, so they need to set up a new VPN or find more glitches, etc.), as long as they can explain how it happens and it's funny.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

...you should structure games like this as one of those games where you have a main character and each player also has at least one supporting minion as well, a minor character who can do helpful stuff but can also be out of scene for exteneded lengths of time, and occasionally can be the focus when the main character is tied up. Someone has a hacker as their sidekick. Or hell, the whole team can have hacker sidekicks, have a whole LAN party going on back at base with your secondary people while your primaries are out in the world being fun.

I know Dungeons & Dragons used to make a big deal out of having minions. The minions in Fellowship are great, too. Maybe more TTRPGs should have minions!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Hackers in an adventure game are literally R2D2. You plug into the base's computer and stand off to the side trying not to get noticed while the heroes rescue the princess, and if you do get discovered, most of your poo poo involves running away and advanced running away with a smattering of breaking out of traps so you can run away.

This is cool in a movie where you're a supporting character and it's OK if you're not on screen for twenty minutes but it's not cool in an RPG. The basic problem with hackers in RPGs is that hacking involves standing still at a terminal doing boring nerd poo poo while action people do action stuff and the action stuff is way more exciting and that's why...

You could also make the team much more involved in tech, with their own abilities to join in. So instead of having two character sets doing things in tandem, they solve the hacking game first (or later, or in the middle, whatever), and then they can call on the benefits of their hacking in the middle of their other activities. Dramatically opening a door while the team is under fire s the example always given, but it always kinda falls flat in play. And if the decker doesn't show up to the game, I guess the door doesn't exist or just opens on its own.

Shadowrun had a cool setting of virtual worlds that control the reality, but in play this meant making up an on demand setting that only 1 or maybe two characters could see or interact with.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
edit wrong thread

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SimonChris posted:

Leperflesh posted:

I thought of what I think is a neat idea while back where the other players have mini-characters for the hacking that in-fiction are the hacker's semi-autonomous helper algorithms.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I thought of what I think is a neat idea while back where the other players have mini-characters for the hacking that in-fiction are the hacker's semi-autonomous helper algorithms.

Alot of games where the characters use VR have a persona/avatar that gets its own game stats.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Alot of games where the characters use VR have a persona/avatar that gets its own game stats.
Yeah but it's not that the Jack the mindless gun nut is also somehow incredibly good at data retrieval, it's that Greg the player controls Jack the mindless gun nut character and also sometimes controls a completely unrelated near-sapient sub-program named FindFiles3.1

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PurpleXVI posted:

Probably the best way to handle "action hacking" would be to have a sci-fi world so IoT'd that there's always something for them to do. Fighting in a corridor? You can make a vending machine go berserk, trigger the sprinklers, turn off the lights or cause a cleaning drone to come zooming out and bump into enemies. In a car chase? You can deploy bollards out of the road, make another car's auto-steering go haywire, confuse the enemy GPS, turn on their auto-driving, etc.

Just treat it like Science Magic of some sort, and have a bunch of effects they can call on X times per scene, or using Hacking Mana(running out of either means that the exploit they were using has been patched, or they've been blocked, so they need to set up a new VPN or find more glitches, etc.), as long as they can explain how it happens and it's funny.

It's called Infinity.

I think I've shared a story before where I was in a 5 player campaign, where we were under fire from some guards. And while three of the players were shooting a lot, and jumping around with their cyber legs and turning into a werewolf, the hacker was hacking the guards to get their secure comm info, which they then used to create a secure connection to their headquarters, and then I used my social hacking skills to pretend to be an executive of the location we were infiltrating and convinced the security guard company that we were immediately terminating the contract. The guards then bailed and walked away when they got the texts that they were fired.

Infinity is a clunkier earlier implementation of the 2d20 system, but it does the whole "every character type should have something awesome to do in every scene" thing really, really well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Which lead to another debate of "why does my gun/cyberarm need to be wireless, when it worked just fine without it before"? "Because"

This seems realistic at least. Someone at Ares or Shiawase got a promotion because it let them roll out a whole new line, and they planned-obsolescence the old one by no longer selling parts for it. Later they will charge you megacred for a Faraday sleeve to effectively disable this innovation.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

CitizenKeen posted:

It's called Infinity.

I think I've shared a story before where I was in a 5 player campaign, where we were under fire from some guards. And while three of the players were shooting a lot, and jumping around with their cyber legs and turning into a werewolf, the hacker was hacking the guards to get their secure comm info, which they then used to create a secure connection to their headquarters, and then I used my social hacking skills to pretend to be an executive of the location we were infiltrating and convinced the security guard company that we were immediately terminating the contract. The guards then bailed and walked away when they got the texts that they were fired.

Infinity is a clunkier earlier implementation of the 2d20 system, but it does the whole "every character type should have something awesome to do in every scene" thing really, really well.

Right. And if you take it far enough, for cases where the players are in non-techy surroundings, the hacker could maybe jailbreak party members' guns, cybernetics, power armor, whatever to give them buffs. There are a lot of options if you're willing to dispense with "realistic" hacking.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I feel like the big problem is that, like D&D's awful psionics, you have players operating on 2 separate timescales and it just doesn't work. You'd really need to have some kind of "action" hacking rules that you use when other people also need to act, and then a crunchier set of rules for solo sessions (if desired).

So if you have an all-hacker session you're dungeon crawling in the crystal spires with all the ICE and nodes and crap, but when you're on-site it's a more abstract "fill up the 'complete my objective' clock, while also managing the 'alert level' clock" system. Basically trying to arrange things so that the hacker gets roughly the same number of actions per round as the people in combat to keep things moving along.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

CitizenKeen posted:

What would you say is the less clunky modern implementation of it for action-y games? I've had an Infinity hack on the backburner for a while now, curious if there's more elegant versions of the system that also manage to have a lot of fun crunch.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm looking for some more FATAL & Friends fodder, does anyone have any interesting RPG's they'd like to see reviewed that haven't already been tackled by the thread?

(saying you love my style of posting and want me, specifically, to review an already-reviewed game also works, I am always vulnerable to praise)

It's either that or I have to tackle yet another Planescape module where they expand the canon with yet another superpowered cosmological concept just because they can't be hosed to be creative with the fifteen or so they already have.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I feel safe recommending Frontier Scum because it's a) short and b) really fun to look at.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

MonsieurChoc posted:

In theory. Man, the rules in original 4th were so bare bones as far as hacking. 4A (Anniversary edition) was a bit better, but that system was still underbaked. So much was put onto the GM's imagination in the core book, in ways that guns, skills cyberware and magic weren't. The sourcebooks probably helped, but that was around the time me and Shadowrun parted ways.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm looking for some more FATAL & Friends fodder, does anyone have any interesting RPG's they'd like to see reviewed that haven't already been tackled by the thread?

(saying you love my style of posting and want me, specifically, to review an already-reviewed game also works, I am always vulnerable to praise)

It's either that or I have to tackle yet another Planescape module where they expand the canon with yet another superpowered cosmological concept just because they can't be hosed to be creative with the fifteen or so they already have.

Have you looked at either Fading Suns 4th Edition or The Witcher? I've been trying to work up the courage and emotional energy to do a F&F of one of the two, but I haven't managed to so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I didn't know they did a 4th edition of Fading Suns. Is it meaningfully different? Because 2nd and 3rd edition were just repackagings of 2nd, occasionally folding some expansion content into the corebook, and doing minor rephrasings, with no meaningful changes.