Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Armitag3 posted:

Amazon probably had the best customer support and that’s pretty sad because they just throw money at it. Hey amazon i think i got a fake thing: keep it whatever and here’s your money back. Didn’t use prime? here’s your money back. left an ec2 instance running too long? oops here’s some credit back and don’t do it again

had, past tense. they tightened up their purse strings in Covid times and now it is like pulling teeth to get anything more than a $5-$10 account credit.

I had a period of time last year where they were routinely missing their delivery windows by multiple days. i contacted them with a list of the late deliveries spanning multiple months and a "why should I pay the new higher rate for this crap?" type attitude. in the past that would have been a guaranteed year of Prime or similar, this time I had to spend a long time repeatedly explaining that I wasn't complaining about one particular delivery and got offered a $10 promotional credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

he definitely is a goon (i remember him posting some SA screenshots on twitter) so it wouldn't surprise me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

FMguru posted:

amazons internal codename for the process of cancelling prime refers to a bloody ten year siege that only ended when one side tricked the other into doing what they wanted: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/06/ftc-sues-amazon-over-4-page-6-click-15-option-prime-cancellation-process/

lol

pretty sure they meant "the odyssey". smdh

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
from the comments:
Here I sit
Unsubscribing
Try to quit
They keep arriving

was me after hitting Unsubscribe yet again to another Rogers email

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
and yet his own article prompts you to subscribe to the newsletter. curious

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

pretty sure they meant "the odyssey". smdh

lol stem

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

everyone knows email has been rendered unusable by spam. We are constantly being chased from one method of communication to another by advertising. Everyone stopped using voice calls because of the spam, then we abandoned faxes because of the spam, then email, now we’re trying to find something less spammy than sms.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

he definitely is a goon (i remember him posting some SA screenshots on twitter) so it wouldn't surprise me

hi ed

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FMguru posted:

amazons internal codename for the process of cancelling prime refers to a bloody ten year siege that only ended when one side tricked the other into doing what they wanted: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/06/ftc-sues-amazon-over-4-page-6-click-15-option-prime-cancellation-process/

lol

i still can't imagine that it's as painful as trying to cancel an aol account was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpDSBAh6RY

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

https://www.pcgamer.com/discord-is-opening-the-monetization-floodgates-get-ready-for-microtransaction-stores-and-paid-exclusive-memes/

Strap in for more enshittification

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm guessing this is mostly aimed at encouraging streamers with discord servers who already have other means of monetizing their fans to use discord for monetization, so it might not mess up the experience for normal people using discord for normal things that much but I guess we'll have to see

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

mystes posted:

I'm guessing this is mostly aimed at encouraging streamers with discord servers who already have other means of monetizing their fans to use discord for monetization
until some PM realises that they can make some other metric go up and get promoted for it

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm not reading this because "PC gamer" autoplayed an anime at me that followed my scrolling and unpaused itself

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

BMan posted:

I'm not reading this because "PC gamer" autoplayed an anime at me that followed my scrolling and unpaused itself

try using ublock to keep the brown sea from invading your home op

mystes
May 31, 2006

so far discord seems to have actually done a pretty good job of making people want to pay for cosmetic stuff rather than forcing them to pay. I'm not even going to say to give them the benefit of the doubt, but it's at least theoretically possible that they could add stuff like this without loving it up.

otoh if streamers milking their fans are generating all the money they are probably eventually going to start viewing the servers that aren't monetizing the poo poo out of everything as dead weight

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 22, 2023

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Armitag3 posted:

try using ublock to keep the brown sea from invading your home op

the ublock on my phone doesn't hit whatever the hell this is

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

this is good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tech bubble v5.8: Strap in for more enshittification

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

yospos is packed with computer touchers who are very sensitive to small changes in the computers

because everything is computers right now until something else comes along and fucks everything up even worse some how that means the sensitive computer touchers know about everything

rotor posted:

tech bubble v5.8a: enshittification? the internet was always poo poo

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 22, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

dang thats good. hey, do you know anyone around here who has the ability to change the title of a thread?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

dang thats good. hey, do you know anyone around here who has the ability to change the title of a thread?

im on the fence about it. Its a good thread title so I'm sorta doing a trial run, but its not so good that I immediately know its better than the current title, which i love

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

thats very democratic of you. im sorry for giving you sass

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

thats very democratic of you. im sorry for giving you sass

its ok phd, i forgive you

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

rotor posted:

im on the fence about it. Its a good thread title so I'm sorta doing a trial run, but its not so good that I immediately know its better than the current title, which i love

i wonder if a compromise could work

tech bubble v5.6: effortful grunting towards enshittification

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

rotor posted:

tech bubble v5.7a2: not so good that I immediately know its better

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

rotor posted:

tech bubble v5.7a2 (nightly): not so good that I immediately know its better

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

i don't know who this is but i got sent down a rabbit hole and i liked this slightly older piece

https://wheresyoured.at/p/the-rot-economy

big edward abbey vibes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Expo70 posted:

i wonder if a compromise could work

tech bubble v5.6: effortful grunting towards enshittification

this could have legs depending on the cage match results

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

toronto star posted:

Meta, Facebook and Instagram’s parent company, announced Thursday it was making good on its threat to block news sharing on both platforms across Canada in response to Ottawa’s online news bill.

“Today, we are confirming that news availability will be ended on Facebook and Instagram for all users in Canada prior to the Online News Act (Bill C-18) taking effect,” a blog post from the web giant notes.

“We have repeatedly shared that in order to comply with Bill C-18, passed today in Parliament, content from news outlets, including news publishers and broadcasters, will no longer be available to people accessing our platforms in Canada.”

The bill is set to become law after clearing the Senate in a final vote Thursday afternoon. The proposed legislation is currently awaiting royal assent.

The Liberal government has framed the bill as an effort to throw a lifeline to a journalism industry it says has been hurt by tech titans’ domination of the digital advertising market.
The bill would compel Meta and Google — platforms that share, preview and direct their users to online news content — to strike deals with the media publishers behind those stories, and face penalties if they don’t.

Meta has long opposed the bill, arguing that it helps direct traffic to online news outlets and that it shouldn’t be forced into deals just because its users choose to share links to news content.

A spokesperson for Meta Canada told the Star the company will “keep Canadians informed of changes” to its services.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh no don't block it you've really shown them

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mystes posted:

I'm guessing this is mostly aimed at encouraging streamers with discord servers who already have other means of monetizing their fans to use discord for monetization, so it might not mess up the experience for normal people using discord for normal things that much but I guess we'll have to see

this is aimed at extracting a 30% cut of Midjourney

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

this is aimed at extracting a 30% cut of Midjourney

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Mr. Crow posted:

i don't know who this is but i got sent down a rabbit hole and i liked this slightly older piece

https://wheresyoured.at/p/the-rot-economy

big edward abbey vibes

more please

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
one of those lyft bike share electric assist bikes has been locked up on a charging station directly outside my work since at least monday morning, loudly beeping every second due to some kind of error. it's driving me insane. everyone in the office has emailed/called lyft to get them to send someone to get the bike, and while lyft has acknowledged that it's been reported, they said it can take up to 10 business days for a technician to come out.

multiple times a day a van comes by to restock bikes here but the guys that pick up bikes to deliver to charging racks that are low on bikes can't pick up bikes with errors to take them to their warehouse for repair, apparently, so it's just constant beeping.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Do you have any rivers, streams, canals, oceans, or tributaries nearby?

If so, please do the needful

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

koolkal posted:

Do you have any rivers, streams, canals, oceans, or tributaries nearby?

If so, please do the needful

it's probably locked into the docking station and will only let the technician remove it

file a noise complaint?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

call the cops and tell them the bike is homeless

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

fermun posted:

one of those lyft bike share electric assist bikes has been locked up on a charging station directly outside my work since at least monday morning, loudly beeping every second due to some kind of error. it's driving me insane. everyone in the office has emailed/called lyft to get them to send someone to get the bike, and while lyft has acknowledged that it's been reported, they said it can take up to 10 business days for a technician to come out.

multiple times a day a van comes by to restock bikes here but the guys that pick up bikes to deliver to charging racks that are low on bikes can't pick up bikes with errors to take them to their warehouse for repair, apparently, so it's just constant beeping.

just get some wire cutters and do the needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
like gandalf before the gates of moria there is a devilish puzzle you must solve before you can see the content

just click on the 'continue reading' button, ya hockey puck