Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/l0u13/status/1671414528117215233?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

Possessor still rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alan Smithee posted:

I've....never seen a Vincent Price movie :negative:

Fuckin' post/username combo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Masque of the Red Death kicks rear end

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsaFDZfz8Lc

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Price is great, I love Witchfinder General and his Poe stuff (and really need to check out Phibes) but man I just couldn't vibe with House on Haunted Hill. It was really disappointing because I know some people in this thread absolutely love it, but it just did nothing for me.
If any big fans can articulate why they love it so much, I'd be interested to read it!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Leatherhead posted:

Price is great, I love Witchfinder General and his Poe stuff (and really need to check out Phibes) but man I just couldn't vibe with House on Haunted Hill. It was really disappointing because I know some people in this thread absolutely love it, but it just did nothing for me.
If any big fans can articulate why they love it so much, I'd be interested to read it!

It's just a really well written whodunnit with a lot of fun characters.

I first saw it in high school; it was the end of the year and one of my science teachers put it on. We were a bunch of cynical teens but it hooked almost everybody, there's just something about it. People starting laughing at the ending with the skeleton but when Price shows up again we were totally hooked again. I think that's the movie in general - a lot smarter than you'd think at first glance or from just reading a plot synopsis.

I also think the old lady gliding into the room is one of the greatest jump scares of all time. Something about the timing of it or the music sting or the lighting. I could rewatch that scene alone 100 times.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I love Vincent Price, man. It would basically be impossible for me to make a top 5. That said, don’t sleep on The Tingler, probably the best and smartest of William Castle’s gimmick movies. Also the only one where Price drops acid.

Also the entire Poe cycle is worth a look, Masque is my favorite, but for a good time check out The Raven, which has a wizard battle between Price and Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre as a talking bird, and young Jack Nicholson as the romantic lead. Script by Richard Matheson, who wrote like half the Poe cycle

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The Haunted Palace is another good Price/Corman Poe Cycle movie, even though it's actually one of the first Lovecraft film adaptations and just uses the name of a Poe poem. You get Price in a dual role which is fun.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Benito Cereno posted:

The Raven, which has a wizard battle between Price and Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre as a talking bird, and young Jack Nicholson as the romantic lead.

Theres no way this movie can live up to the one my head is generating from these details

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The other day I learned that the Hillside Stranglers, who abducted victims by posing as undercover cops and using fake badges to lure women into their car, pulled over Peter Lorre's daughter in 1977. They planned to kill her the same way they'd done with all the other victims but when they looked at her driver's license they realized she was Peter Lorre's daughter so they let her go because they didn't want the media attention. So Lorre's career, which included playing a serial killer in M, ended up saving his daughter's life from actual real life serial killers.

Phy posted:

Theres no way this movie can live up to the one my head is generating from these details

You would think that but actually yea it does

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Just saw the Talk to Me trailer at Cineworld ahead of The Wicker Man rerelease, so looks like it's getting a UK release thankfully. Had to look away as it looked like it was giving away too much.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is there never going to be the equivalent of the horror star again? Karloff, Lugosi, Lee, Cushing, Price, those types. Even the guys like Englund or Tony Todd who were considered the modern versions never really became popular personalities outside of their respective characters, though they played a lot of bit parts in other stuff, but I can't even think of a modern version of those guys now. Same deal for scream queens. All the celebrated ones are the same ones from 30-40 years ago, and are now seen more at conventions than in movies.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Origami Dali posted:

Is there never going to be the equivalent of the horror star again? Karloff, Lugosi, Lee, Cushing, Price, those types. Even the guys like Englund or Tony Todd who were considered the modern versions never really became popular personalities outside of their respective characters, though they played a lot of bit parts in other stuff, but I can't even think of a modern version of those guys now. Same deal for scream queens. All the celebrated ones are the same ones from 30-40 years ago, and are now seen more at conventions than in movies.

I imagine part of that is the stifling studio system of the time. You could argue actresses like Maika Monroe and Jocelin Donahue are modern scream queens.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

david_a posted:

I imagine part of that is the stifling studio system of the time. You could argue actresses like Maika Monroe and Jocelin Donahue are modern scream queens.

Emma Roberts, Lucy Boynton and Sophia Lillis are also in that proto-Scream Queen category.

I’m having a harder time with dudes though. Dan Stevens has done 3-4 at least and is generally great, but I think that dude just really likes working rather than he is necessarily a horror guy so to speak.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Patrick Wilson. Jenna Ortega. Mia Goth. Going back a bit you have Freddy Englund, Tony Todd, Sid Haig. Doug Jones deserves to be a household name for horror fans.

There won’t be the same kind of hyper focused careers but that’s a good thing. Studios don’t have as much control over actors and they don’t get type cast as much. Bela Lugosi died miserable that he was never able to break out of the horror genre.

I dunno. If you don’t count Englund and Todd then that’s in his you perceive them I guess. The older guys who came before our time seem larger than life and iconic because of the time and distance. We’re not watching them toil or whatever. They’re respected veteran actors with huge filmographies and a ton of name notoriety from fans.

Duh. Bruce Campbell.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 21, 2023

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Muthafuckas act like they forgot about Jenna Ortega (and Mia Goth)

E: f,b

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do think your Robert Englunds and Bruce Campbells are mostly equivalent to Lugosis, Karloffs or Christopher Lees of the past in that they're all mostly famous for one or two roles. Sure, they all did a variety of things over the years but 90% of the world knows Robert Englund as Freddy, or Karloff as Frankenstein, Lee and Lugosi as Dracula, etc.

Price is the unique one I think. He became a horror icon by creating a screen presence/persona that was all his own, it wasn't just about one or two specific characters. There hasn't been anyone like him since but I don't know if there really had been before either.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Basebf555 posted:

Price is the unique one I think. He became a horror icon by creating a screen presence/persona that was all his own, it wasn't just about one or two specific characters. There hasn't been anyone like him since but I don't know if there really had been before either.

I think the closest you come with a modern equivalent is Nic Cage, though of course he's not known as a horror icon specifically.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bill Skarsgard has to count

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

It should have been Jeffrey Combs, but we live in a sin-cursed world.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s Patrick Wilson and Lin Shaye.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Nic Cage has enough horror under his belt that he's that to me. There's a reason they're adding him specifically and not Red Miller or The Janitor to Dead By Daylight.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Leatherhead posted:

It should have been Jeffrey Combs, but we live in a sin-cursed world.

Yeah Combs has the same gift Price did of absolutely elevating any he's in, he should be way more well known

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Yeah Combs has the same gift Price did of absolutely elevating any he's in, he should be way more well known

Tony Todd has this gift too.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Stephen Lang is quietly racking up a few horror flicks

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Samara Weaving is racking up some good numbers

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Anya Taylor Joy is kind of a high class horror lady, I'd love to see her have fun in some gory trash.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Anya Taylor Joy is kind of a high class horror lady, I'd love to see her have fun in some gory trash.

Watch The Menu BAM gottem just kidding I liked The Menu :shobon:

Alan Smithee posted:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I think it was somebody in here who recommended this book?

Anyway, I started reading it and it's pretty bitchin' so thank you for the recommendation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna make sure the October Challenge includes a Vincent Price related challenge this year.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Takes No Damage posted:

Watch The Menu BAM gottem just kidding I liked The Menu :shobon:

Don't forget Vincent Twice, Vincent Twice

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I think it was somebody in here who recommended this book?

Anyway, I started reading it and it's pretty bitchin' so thank you for the recommendation.

Yeah I mentioned it offhand. It’s way better than anything under the “Blumhouse Books” imprint has the right to be, but then I suppose that’s the Datlow magic baby!!!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Someone repost that list of the votes. I need it.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

A Fancy Hat posted:

I also think the old lady gliding into the room is one of the greatest jump scares of all time. Something about the timing of it or the music sting or the lighting. I could rewatch that scene alone 100 times.

It really is uniquely unsettling. I had been watching a ton of the Vincent Price Roger Corman movies, which have a fantastic mood but aren't really scary, so I was a bit bored with this one until that scene happened. Genuinely scared me.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What are some good entry-level horror films for almost-teens who are starting to get interested? I mentioned the classic slashers (with Jason, Freddy, etc), plus Exorcist, Evil Dead (not sure if this one's too hardcore for almost-teens), and The Descent. I'm also lacking in contemporary starter recommendations; the most recent one I can think of is Jeepers Creepers... maybe Deadstream.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Argue posted:

What are some good entry-level horror films for almost-teens who are starting to get interested? I mentioned the classic slashers (with Jason, Freddy, etc), plus Exorcist, Evil Dead (not sure if this one's too hardcore for almost-teens), and The Descent. I'm also lacking in contemporary starter recommendations; the most recent one I can think of is Jeepers Creepers... maybe Deadstream.

Gremlins!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Argue posted:

It Chapter 1
Psycho Goreman
The Fear Street Trilogy
Army of Darkness
Krampus
Trick r Treat

It’s kinda mid but scary stories to tell in the dark night be okay.
I’m not a huge fan but kids love those Insidious movies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Argue posted:

Sit them down with a box set of Supernatural S1 and come back in 48 hours. I've been rewatching it for the first time in probably close to 15 years and it not only holds up, it was real horror in a way that later seasons weren't so much. And they deliberately set out to cover all the bases of modern horror in the same way The X-Files covered Forteana.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you do that they’ll start to write stories about those brothers fuckin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

If you do that they’ll start to write stories about those brothers fuckin

Nah, it'll be a musical and it won't happen for another nine or ten years so there's plenty of time to escape.