Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Sleng Teng posted:

New release and themes kick rear end, thanks much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Commie kong’s explanation of text sizes might be helpful to people with this issue, in case you missed (though probably doesn’t remove your benefit in providing feedback)

Ah thank you, I didn’t read back very far

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Plz put the quote button back where it was, I beg

:same:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I’m getting an error where hitting the page number to open the page jump selector is closing the app. The arrows still work.

I’m having issues with Rap Sheet/Leper’s Colony failing to load too.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I’m getting an error where hitting the page number to open the page jump selector is closing the app. The arrows still work.

I’m having issues with Rap Sheet/Leper’s Colony failing to load too.

It crashes the app when I touch it

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

unzin posted:

Same. On IOS.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Well yeah you are in the iOS app thread so it would be pretty wild if you were running anything else

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
also works fine on my phone, it would help the devs if you post your phone and ios version on these reports for testing.

14 Pro Max and ios 16.5.1 here.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Works fine for me

SE 2020, iOS 16.5

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

History Comes Inside! posted:

Well yeah you are in the iOS app thread so it would be pretty wild if you were running anything else

Not so. The app works just fine on MacOS and iPadOS.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

commie kong posted:

That's all of the twitter embeds firing onload. Here's a good read on that: https://swizec.com/blog/twitter-embeds-without-javascript-pt1-codewithswiz-29/

Oh hey that's loving cool. I'd love to add static twitter embeds. I'm geoflux on github, the guy that added the initial youtube and mp4 embeds to the app. I haven't done anything with the app since then but I think if the main parsing thread could be made async that could eliminate the whole page changing size poo poo that happens. Maybe. I don't know, I'm drunk.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

unzin posted:

I've pushed a fix for this and a few other things to GitHub. Anyone facing the page selector crash issue should probably upgrade to iOS 16 for a faster remedy than the app update process, however.

Here's a list of stuff I addressed last night (my time). There's more to do, ofc. To those saying "put quote back", do you mean change that whole menu back to the old black and blue blocky one? Because no...

- Niggly refresh colour for OLED Dark theme changed to white.
- Threadlist view context menu toggle bookmark option moved to bottom
- Threadlist/bookmarklist view unread count made bigger
- Fixed postsview page count button crash for iOS 13, 14, 15
- Edit button on bookmarklist view moved to top right
- SpankyKong Light End of thread message coloured properly
- End of the thread element less/css files updated to provide more top margin for those with frog disabled

Jen heir rick posted:

Oh hey that's loving cool. I'd love to add static twitter embeds. I'm geoflux on github, the guy that added the initial youtube and mp4 embeds to the app. I haven't done anything with the app since then but I think if the main parsing thread could be made async that could eliminate the whole page changing size poo poo that happens. Maybe. I don't know, I'm drunk.

haha :cheers:

i did get a lazy tweet loading thing working, but the performance issues were actually something else so I left it to come back to later. Here's a poc branch if you're curious (way behind main now but still, it's a poc): https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/tree/lazyload-embeds

I have also played with the Swift concurrency stuff a while back and I defs want to return to it.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

e: nvm, I can't read. ^^^ thank you for the updates!

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

commie kong posted:

haha :cheers:

i did get a lazy tweet loading thing working, but the performance issues were actually something else so I left it to come back to later. Here's a poc branch if you're curious (way behind main now but still, it's a poc): https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/tree/lazyload-embeds

I have also played with the Swift concurrency stuff a while back and I defs want to return to it.

Oh man. Thanks for taking me seriously. I'm gonna sober up and check that poo poo out.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Jen heir rick posted:

Oh man. Thanks for taking me seriously. I'm gonna sober up and check that poo poo out.

For sure! Potential dev interest rules (don't worry, if you sober up and decide "actually, nah" that's all good)

I've decided I'm going to post a project.log thread for the more experimental app stuff / things I've tried but weren't good enough to share here. I'll explain more about that branch in particular in that thread.

But briefly (lol), I decided that the static tweet rendering stuff is probs a no go due to all the media embedding crap that twitter.js does that I would struggle to replicate. I also didn't go with using JavaScript or html lazyload stuff as Safari didn't fully support it at the time (I haven't checked recently but would have needed to use a polyfill.)

Instead I rolled my own lazyload-like by using the IntersectionObserver js to fire postMessages for Swift to do the work. The first five posts containing tweet links would be rendered immediately, but additional would stay as links until some scrolling takes place. Then the next five would load, but in advance so users wouldn't notice unless they used the Scroll to End button. This takes some pressure off the initial page load

Anyhoo, there's even more detail that I can go into and I'll do it in that separate thread. I'll post again when it's up

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

commie kong posted:

To those saying "put quote back", do you mean change that whole menu back to the old black and blue blocky one? Because no...

I think this is in reference to the order of the post context menus - maybe quote used to be first in the list?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

spanky the dolphin posted:

I think this is in reference to the order of the post context menus - maybe quote used to be first in the list?

I think so

My muscle memory is messed up from stuff being reordered in menus

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I wondered that too, but I found screenshots from the olden times and Quote was still the second last option.

(This is one of your mockups from 2017 :v:)

Anyway, I'll happily reorder the menu items if that's the feedback. What's the preferred order? I saw mixed opinions on it.

But that old menu uses old tech that I'm slowly working to remove and it's a bit dated (imo In My Opinion) to replicate in SwiftUI. The new menus are pretty good and muscle memory will adapt.

(Grace Baiting I have seen your posts on these menus, but I don't have a good answer for you yet. Those ones are a bit trickier than the steamed ham)

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

That looks so dated now. drat.

I think this order might make more sense.

Last Read

Along a similar line, remove bookmark should be at the bottom of the bookmark menu.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Last Read

Alright, I'll let a few others have their say and implement the outcome

Along a similar line, remove bookmark should be at the bottom of the bookmark menu.

Yeah I've done that one already. I wanna cross a few more things off the list and then I'll hit up pokeyman for a beta push.

Did you see the request for a new variant of the five bars app icon? Should be a simple one, if you're able :)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Last Read

This sounds good to me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Last Read

looks good

edit should go after quote where appropriate

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Last Read

:haibrow:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Kong are you taking the lead on the project now that Pokey has taken some much deserved rest?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Warbird posted:

Kong are you taking the lead on the project now that Pokey has taken some much deserved rest?

Lol no and I'm a bit worried that the way I say things comes off that way. That's a bit of a habit from my real job but most of the recent app stuff is work I've done, so I'm here to answer for my crimes

Pokey is still very much the lead and he reviews some of the changes I make when I'm less confident about yoloing them into the main branch. He also does his own changes here and there. But I totally get why this stuff might feel like a second job after 17+ years of doing the app. To me it's still a relatively new hobby. Also he liked to respond to most people individually and at length, so I can't imagine jumping back into the thread gets any easier over time. He has recently said he intends to come back at some point tho.

So atm it's mostly just me by default. And I'm pretty enthusiastic, but not skilled enough to achieve everything I wanna do. So if I can rope more suckers into contributing, that's good for me and the app :evilbuddy:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just saw the animated ghost for a dead tweet. Fun and rad.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

commie kong posted:

Lol no and I'm a bit worried that the way I say things comes off that way. That's a bit of a habit from my real job but most of the recent app stuff is work I've done, so I'm here to answer for my crimes

Pokey is still very much the lead and he reviews some of the changes I make when I'm less confident about yoloing them into the main branch. He also does his own changes here and there. But I totally get why this stuff might feel like a second job after 17+ years of doing the app. To me it's still a relatively new hobby. Also he liked to respond to most people individually and at length, so I can't imagine jumping back into the thread gets any easier over time. He has recently said he intends to come back at some point tho.

So atm it's mostly just me by default. And I'm pretty enthusiastic, but not skilled enough to achieve everything I wanna do. So if I can rope more suckers into contributing, that's good for me and the app :evilbuddy:

All good, just vaguely curious.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

The gays are trying to rate our threads six!

Thanks for looking into it so quickly, spanky. I think the colours might be a bit off tho and people may comment on that since they're meant to be flags.

Could we try some alternates? I think these are the colours for the trans pride flag: Site 1 or Site 2 and maybe #c6bef7 or #9c8de8 would work for the background.

For the rainbow one, maybe the background could be rainbow and horizontal, instead of colouring the bars? Those flag sites should have the colours for that one as well. (Happy to be corrected on these things if those sites are wrong. I just googled em)

Also once everyone's happy can ya send me the multiple files in the sizes that apple demands? https://developer.apple.com/design/resources/#ios-apps

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Very minor thing, not sure if anyone else really cares about it, but the post preview no longer shows the date/time at the bottom like it used to.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

These menu items feels a bit cramped on my screen. Is it possible to make them taller?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It looks like we lost “swipe to remove” bookmarks over the new update. Was that intended? I’m not particularly tore up about it as I would occasionally remove one without meaning.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You can long press to get a menu now that has remove on it. Not sure if that is new or not?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Warbird posted:

It looks like we lost “swipe to remove” bookmarks over the new update. Was that intended? I’m not particularly tore up about it as I would occasionally remove one without meaning.

I noticed its absence too but like you, I tend to do it accidentally sometimes, and the long press option is perfectly fine with me instead, I don't need both :D

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You can also hit edit in the upper left and then remove them that way.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

smackfu posted:

You can long press to get a menu now that has remove on it. Not sure if that is new or not?

oh good, thanks

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Yay!! I love it!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Warbird posted:

Yeah that was intentional and I'm glad because I have for sure accidentally deleted bookmarks, and those threads are now lost to me forever, like tears in rain.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

How long until we have the update available for download in the app store that puts quote post back at the top of list? I keep hitting last read and share. I sometimes use the last read button, but nothing gets used as much as quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I love the app, I’ve been using it for many years, and very much appreciate the modernization updates. One thing that always gets me when I come into this app is the “swipe from the left edge to go back” thing in this app is very unforgiving when compared with pretty much anything else out there. The point where you have to swipe from is almost pixel perfect, as opposed to other apps where sometimes it can be done from anywhere on the screen.

I know it’s such a little thing, but the inconsistency with most other apps definitely stands out.