Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

Is it Alder Lake w/ E cores or just P cores? Have schedulers figured out how to deal with heterogenous cores on x86 yet?

Alder Lake-N is all gracemont cores. Aka E cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

movax posted:

Is it Alder Lake w/ E cores or just P cores? Have schedulers figured out how to deal with heterogenous cores on x86 yet?

Just E-cores, if I'm not mistaken.

E: beaten

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Only E cores, no P cores. The i3-N305 is as far as I know the first Intel Atom lineage part to ever be branded Core i.

I thought there was something with Tremont cores but the product I’m misremembering is even weirder than I thought:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/202777/intel-core-i5l16g7-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-0ghz/specifications.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-L16G7-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.466091.0.html

quote:

Marketing Status Discontinued
Launch Date Q2'20
Servicing Status End of Servicing Lifetime
Now that’s some burying under the rug lol. 1 ice lake core, 4 tremont cores.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought there was something with Tremont cores but the product I’m misremembering is even weirder than I thought:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/202777/intel-core-i5l16g7-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-0ghz/specifications.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-L16G7-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.466091.0.html

These still show up, the Pentium Gold 8500 is 1 P / 4 E: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/226449/intel-pentium-gold-processor-8500-8m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

It's really wild to me that that gets branded "Pentium" but 8 E cores are "Core i3".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

These still show up, the Pentium Gold 8500 is 1 P / 4 E: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/226449/intel-pentium-gold-processor-8500-8m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

It's really wild to me that that gets branded "Pentium" but 8 E cores are "Core i3".

Yeah, I meant I thought i5 L16G7 was an atom branded as an i5.

But really… what even is that part number. It’s even worse than the Atom x5/x7 for weirdness

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The wildest intel processor is still the first 10nm chip they made just to comply with a deadline, and they shipped it in a single lenovo laptop in china.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

1U just isn't a particularly good format for power hungry devices, as you end up wasting a lot of power lost to nothing but turning tiny screamer fans, instead of doing something useful.

We have ~24 dual node 1U servers we used for testing some ssds (24 per box). Even long time, experienced data center people stop and say "what the hell is going on there" any time they walk by that aisle.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wild EEPROM posted:

The wildest intel processor is still the first 10nm chip they made just to comply with a deadline, and they shipped it in a single lenovo laptop in china.

also I believe the only product to ever get released on that initial version of Intel 10nm. rip Cannon Lake

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/136863/intel-core-i38121u-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-20-ghz.html

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Do we know yet if the raptor lake refresh will be compatible with z690? I'm on a 12600k and it would be rather nice a couple of years from now to just drop a 14700k or whatever into this mobo.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Do we know yet if the raptor lake refresh will be compatible with z690? I'm on a 12600k and it would be rather nice a couple of years from now to just drop a 14700k or whatever into this mobo.

Yes, there are already RPL-R BIOS updates for the majority of Z690 boards. It's definitely coming to everything LGA1700.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Yes, there are already RPL-R BIOS updates for the majority of Z690 boards. It's definitely coming to everything LGA1700.

Oh sweet, just checked my Gigabyte board and while their latest bios doesn't specify 14th gen, they do say "Supports and powers up Intel next generation processor".

If that's the case then my next upgrade is pretty set, wait for meteor lake to depress prices of the raptor lake refresh and then pop in a 14700k and then just use that for another few years.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Judging from the leaks and announcements, there might not be a desktop meteor lake. Raptor lake refresh is supposedly filling that gap.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

hobbesmaster posted:

Lakefield was basically a proving ground for the foveros stacking in Meteor Lake and beyond.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tech Yes City released this video, supposedly part one of a two-part series, that talks about Intel CPUs, starting with the 12th gen, having latency issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O5XGVaPDZo

the TL; DR based on my understanding:

- Intel used to have a Northbridge and a Southbridge chipset, such as with the 1st generation Core architecture
- by the 2nd generation, Sandy Bridge, the Northbridge was effectively folded-in with the CPU, and that was a big leap in performance
- but, starting with Alder Lake, that functionality was moved off the CPU ...
- ... and it's that change that makes 12th/13th gen feel "less snappy" compared to, say, 9th and 10th gen Intel CPUs, when doing things like searching for files or scrolling through a video editing timeline
- this was something that the creator only realized/discovered of late, based on discussions with manufacturers during this year's Computex
- the effect is comparable to people saying that AMD CPUs, around the time of the Ryzen 3000 series (or earlier) felt "less snappy" compared to their Intel contemporaries, because AMD also did all of their I/O on a separate chiplet from the CPU cores, with silicon that was [still] on GloFo 14nm

what's unclear to me is where this I/O functionality was moved to, if it's not where it used to be, relatively speaking, compared to older generations

it seems like a rather incredible claim to be making, and I'm not sure what to make of it, which is why I'm bringing it up

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The guy is full of poo poo. Hes finding Windows 11 bugs and blaming Intel. As if a few more ms of latency will cause massive slowdowns in the GUI. lol.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

gradenko_2000 posted:

it seems like a rather incredible claim to be making, and I'm not sure what to make of it, which is why I'm bringing it up

It is, in fact, an incredible claim. I feel dumber after watching about half of this video and I'm not watching the rest.

He does not understand enough about this technology to say many coherent things, so I stopped when he finally described his theory of what changed, which is that I/O latency got worse because the System Agent moved off-die. Unfortunately for him, he's full of poo poo, it went nowhere.

I'm going to try to explain how :psyduck: this idea really is. You know how modern Intel client CPUs have a very high performance on-die ring bus, most notable for connecting CPU last-layer caches to each other and the memory controller? The System Agent is another ring bus drop, a bridge between the ring and the graphics/DMI PCIe root complexes.

It would in fact be a big deal if Intel lost their minds and decided to move the System Agent (or any other ring bus agent) off-die. However, as they are at least minimally competent, they did no such thing. A ring bus agent needs more than 1000 non-SERDES wires at 3+ GHz. Running that through a CPU socket connector is no bueno.

There's proof that he's wrong in his own video! He shows an Intel slide with a stylized floorplan of an Alder Lake client CPU. On top, it shows the DMI and PCIe IO blocks. These things would not be on-die if the System Agent was off-die.

Also, if his theory is true, there should be quantifiable differences to measure. As far as I was willing to watch, there was nothing but handwaving, and absolutely no sign that this guy can do anything but handwave. His best case excuse for this video is that his poor understanding of CPU and IO tech led him to profoundly misunderstand some comment he overheard at the trade show.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 28, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Where exactly was this dumbass seeing everyone saying that the 12gen Intel or Ryzen 3000 were "less snappy", because that is not a thing that happened.

And his demos of windows being unresponsive when looking at a bunch of files in explorer has nothing to do with anything. The problem is by default explorer reads files for metadata (id3 tags etc) when looking at music / video folders. At 6:27 is a perfect example, he opens a folder, explorer stalls out, then switches to the media view with different column headers and slowly populates the list. It's annoying as poo poo, but has zero to do with hardware.

(The fix is to change to list view in a music/video folder and then do "apply this view to all folders of this type". Or customize the column headers to not be metadata and just be the standard date size & type ones.)

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
My amiga500 has a faster CPU than my current 13gen i7 because it boots to desktop faster.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Beef posted:

My amiga500 has a faster CPU than my current 13gen i7 because it boots to desktop faster.

No lies detected!

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

BobHoward posted:

I'm going to try to explain how :psyduck: this idea really is.
Thanks for the detailed rebuttal.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Where exactly was this dumbass seeing everyone saying that the 12gen Intel or Ryzen 3000 were "less snappy", because that is not a thing that happened.

And his demos of windows being unresponsive when looking at a bunch of files in explorer has nothing to do with anything. The problem is by default explorer reads files for metadata (id3 tags etc) when looking at music / video folders. At 6:27 is a perfect example, he opens a folder, explorer stalls out, then switches to the media view with different column headers and slowly populates the list. It's annoying as poo poo, but has zero to do with hardware.

(The fix is to change to list view in a music/video folder and then do "apply this view to all folders of this type". Or customize the column headers to not be metadata and just be the standard date size & type ones.)

Hey speaking of this, the lag sucks. I cant seem to make the fix work for me. Dunno why. Is there a reg flag or something to just stop explorer from parsing all this extra crap?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redeyes posted:

Hey speaking of this, the lag sucks. I cant seem to make the fix work for me. Dunno why. Is there a reg flag or something to just stop explorer from parsing all this extra crap?

By default it saves the view settings for every folder you've previously looked at.

To clear that, regedit to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
and delete the Bags and BagsMRU sub-folders. Log off/on or reboot.

At that point all the media folders will pick up the standard view for their type, which you've set to not read metadata. All the other view customization you've intentionally done are also gone, which sucks, but at least explorer won't take 30 seconds to display a file list.

The stupidest thing about this is how they were able to make explorer not poo poo itself over thumbnails. It may take a minute to display them, but you get the file list instantly. But they somehow didn't think to use the same method for metadata.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tech Yes City is a total joke, and this is far from the first time he's tried to stir poo poo about a subject he barely understands.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I remember that guy cleaning motherboards with WD40.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Tech Yes City is a total joke, and this is far from the first time he's tried to stir poo poo about a subject he barely understands.

A lot of the C-tier techtubers are borderline tech-illiterate, the RedGamingTechs and MindBlankTech and UFD Tech etc, and especially when they come up with some “actually AMD is way better than NVIDIA for [counterintuitive or bizarre reason]” it’s usually best to just take them with a massive grain of salt or just flatly ignore them, because they’re usually straining to reach some predetermined conclusions.

I remember a couple years ago it was “nvidia isn’t rendering as sharp/worse colors than AMD!!!” because someone physically pointed a camera at the screen and it wasn’t autofocusing correctly, and it started a whole thing that took 6-12 months to dissipate. Or that AMD has better latency (no, it’s worse). Etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
well, thanks for the responses. I'm at least pleased that my skepticism twigged on that sort of thing.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Whats the deal with these new Xeon W chips? Not many reviews and they seem to be the new HEDT chips. Was poking around at building a home lab and theyre intriguing but not sure how much more when you can get a 5950X on sale or even just using the 12900Ks. No E cores i suppose is useful here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

doomisland posted:

Whats the deal with these new Xeon W chips? Not many reviews and they seem to be the new HEDT chips. Was poking around at building a home lab and theyre intriguing but not sure how much more when you can get a 5950X on sale or even just using the 12900Ks. No E cores i suppose is useful here.

The deal is 112 pcie5 lanes

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Apple should have just updated the MP to use these instead of the burning dumpster fire that is the ASi Mac Pro.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

SourKraut posted:

Apple should have just updated the MP to use these instead of the burning dumpster fire that is the ASi Mac Pro.

They were eager to move onto in-house solutions for PR, but the bet on an M2 Extreme / four M2 Max chips all working in tandem fell apart due to manufacturing problems. Thus, the Mac Pro 2023 is the fallback: literally an Ultra Studio with PCIe 4 support enabled by switching, no external GPU support, and 64GB of non-upgradable RAM starting at seven thousand dollars. I know you know how insane this is, but I’m still aghast.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

moving their final product line over to ARM, even if it's half assed, also started the countdown to them being able to retire intel support altogether

releasing a new xeon mac pro would have kicked that down the road by years

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
It's € 8.399 here. But it's Apple, they cornered the "price insensitive buyers" market and will probably sell enough of those at gently caress you margins to make up for the cost.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

even for price insensitive buyers it's a weird proposition though, the specs are the same as the mac studio that's $3000 cheaper, so all you're getting for the extra cost is pcie slots

it doesn't support GPUs, so the only reason you'd want pcie slots is because pcie devices tend to be cheaper than their thunderbolt counterparts, but is anyone going to save enough that way to offset $3000?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Hasturtium posted:

They were eager to move onto in-house solutions for PR, but the bet on an M2 Extreme / four M2 Max chips all working in tandem fell apart due to manufacturing problems. Thus, the Mac Pro 2023 is the fallback: literally an Ultra Studio with PCIe 4 support enabled by switching, no external GPU support, and 64GB of non-upgradable RAM starting at seven thousand dollars. I know you know how insane this is, but I’m still aghast.

Yeah, it's horrible. It almost feels like an excuse for them to point to poor sales in a year or two in order to end the Mac Pro line anyway.

repiv posted:

moving their final product line over to ARM, even if it's half assed, also started the countdown to them being able to retire intel support altogether

releasing a new xeon mac pro would have kicked that down the road by years
I don't think this matters as much to them, at least not in terms of the comparison to the PPC-> Intel transition. Apple was actively licensing Rosetta 1 at that time, so there was a significant financial incentive to transition as fast as possible.

At this point, they still have a substantial number of Intel-based Macs out there, and they developed Rosetta 2 themselves (plus the hardware implementation to support it), so it's less urgent to do so. Of course Apple could surprise us, but it seems like they'd be more than happy to just force people away via software feature segmentation, as we're already seeing with Sonoma. They seem more interested with dropping support for anything that doesn't have the T2 chip.

I would assume though that the last of the Intel Macs will see support until roughly 2026 or 27 OS-wise, probably the 2019 Mac Pro, and then security updates after that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

The deal is 112 pcie5 lanes
Needs more PCIe lanes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

intel updated their architecture guide and it looks like client arrow lake still isn't going to have AVX512 support

tired: an intel extension having slow adoption because AMD doesn't support it yet
wired: an intel extension having slow adoption because intel doesn't support it yet

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Seriously, though, how much of Intel not having AVX512 support because of AMD? I get that there are shifted dynamics in the server space, but AMD only commands about 20% of the server market, and I'm sure *somebody* out there still religiously adheres to "nobody ever got fired for buying IBMIntel".

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 3, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Needs more PCIe lanes.

:hfive:

Never enough PCIe lanes!!

Also my current dream is some kind of EDSFF x16 connector on steroids that has power delivery pins so you can have MCIO from the motherboard to a backplane you can slot your various boards in like GPU, NICs etc.. I'm just real sick of CEM connectors!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The complex history of the Intel i960 RISC processor is a nice little read for a branch not taken.

It's also interesting that its Ada properties are shared by the Rational R1000, a machine which played a central role in computing in Denmark (and which is currently in the process of being restored).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Seriously, though, how much of Intel not having AVX512 support because of AMD? I get that there are shifted dynamics in the server space, but AMD only commands about 20% of the server market, and I'm sure *somebody* out there still religiously adheres to "nobody ever got fired for buying IBMIntel".

Isn’t that as much about supply limitations?