Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEIJrW_auCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvcEP0EjqIc

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/dmrider/status/1672959369028292608

One day out of the Toronto election and they are getting desperate enough to try "Ana Bailao is a woman of colour, maybe latina or something?" which is totally the same as being told to go back to China or being black

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
good lord i hope bailao doesn't get elected.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

having a difficult to pronounce last name is the same thing as being a visible minority in Canada

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
she's portuguese, so i guess that counts as racialized, for tomorrow

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Hope Chow wins and rips up every car lane in the GTA 🫡

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

infernal machines posted:

she's portuguese, so i guess that counts as racialized, for tomorrow

the closer people are to being black the more racist they get

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Puppy Burner posted:

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

BCNDP won both by-elections but in friendly territory. Happy to see the BC Conservative Litzcke who runs as Peoples Party and who’s flyer I got said we have to “stop the NDP woke gender ideology” got less than 400 votes. I wish the communist party had gotten more votes than the conservatives but were down by about 200 votes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bailao has a fair shot at winning, she's been climbing steadily since tory endorsed her. she sucks out loud and policy wise would be "john tory with better hair", but this city elected john tory three times, so pretty good odds on a fourth

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Presumably homelessness has increased in Toronto at similar rates to a Vancouver in the last 5 years. Considering you’ve had a literal Tory mayor and con premier who gets the blame for it, Trudeau?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

Presumably homelessness has increased in Toronto at similar rates to a Vancouver in the last 5 years. Considering you’ve had a literal Tory mayor and con premier who gets the blame for it, Trudeau?

nobody wants to work anymore, ain't ya heard?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
blame for what? thats not a problem for torys

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ARACHTION posted:

we had a shelter crisis for years before the pandemic. the system basically collapsed completely, leading to the mass encampments in the parks, which then got bulldozed, and at no point have there been significant measures to address shelter capacity where it's needed, or provide better resources and support upstream to prevent the need for the shelter system in the first place

idk who gets blamed in general, probably trudeau for "the economy", but in the circles i'm in it's pretty squarly laid at tory's feet

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

The homeless duh

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

we had a shelter crisis for years before the pandemic. the system basically collapsed completely, leading to the mass encampments in the parks, which then got bulldozed, and at no point have there been significant measures to address shelter capacity where it's needed, or provide better resources and support upstream to prevent the need for the shelter system in the first place

idk who gets blamed in general, probably trudeau for "the economy", but in the circles i'm in it's pretty squarly laid at tory's feet

Bailao was deputy mayor in charge of housing and is now running for mayor on a platform of "vote for me to fix housing" lmao

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ARACHTION posted:

The Liberals put actual money into Toronto Community Housing Corp to help with its massive repair backlog (which, if not addressed will likely make more people homeless as decrepit buildings are torn down and replaced with nothing). In typical Liberal fashion it's not enough and spread out over 10 years, but it's at least technically doing something today.

Meanwhile, Ana Bailao has promised not to raise property taxes above inflation (after over a decade of Tory + Ford starving the city) and her budget plan is to make the province pay for the Gardiner and DVP.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Puppy Burner posted:

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

if there are no more car lanes then Bailao won't have anywhere to drive hammered

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

The Liberals put actual money into Toronto Community Housing Corp to help with its massive repair backlog (which, if not addressed will likely make more people homeless as decrepit buildings are torn down and replaced with nothing). In typical Liberal fashion it's not enough and spread out over 10 years, but it's at least technically doing something today.

Meanwhile, Ana Bailao has promised not to raise property taxes above inflation (after over a decade of Tory + Ford starving the city) and her budget plan is to make the province pay for the Gardiner and DVP.

TCHC's state-of-good-repair backlog has been valued at over $1 billion dollars since at least tory's second term. afaik the only reason it's not even higher is they straight up started condemning units and closing buildings

so yeah, we could spend approximately the yearly TPS budget to get over 1000 units back into livable condition, or, you know, not.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

vyelkin posted:

Bailao was deputy mayor in charge of housing and is now running for mayor on a platform of "vote for me to fix housing" lmao

Lmaoooooo

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
what the gently caress is a deputy mayor in charge of housing

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

A two drink minimum, apparently

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

we had like five deputy mayors at one point. john loved him some deputies.

the people least likely to accomplish anything were put in charge of their respective files to ensure that nothing would happen. it worked perfectly

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Kinda gross that biggest polling shift this entire campaign has been from the endorsement of the disgraced former mayor. I think we have to accept that a significant portion of this city is very happy with the everything crumbling around them as long as they don't have to pay another 20 bucks in property taxes.

Also lends credibility to the idea that Tory was probably planning on riding out the scandal when it eventually broke, and probably could have if it wasn't such a specific breach of WASP mores - I have it on medium-good authority (a PC party apparatchik) that the only reason he stepped down was because his wife gave him an ultimatum between her or the job.

Anyways, less than an hour, good luck everyone.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
chow winning would hopefully make ford do something oafish like pull the strong mayoral powers which would be really funny

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dieselfruit posted:

Kinda gross that biggest polling shift this entire campaign has been from the endorsement of the disgraced former mayor. I think we have to accept that a significant portion of this city is very happy with the everything crumbling around them as long as they don't have to pay another 20 bucks in property taxes.

Also lends credibility to the idea that Tory was probably planning on riding out the scandal when it eventually broke, and probably could have if it wasn't such a specific breach of WASP mores - I have it on medium-good authority (a PC party apparatchik) that the only reason he stepped down was because his wife gave him an ultimatum between her or the job.

Anyways, less than an hour, good luck everyone.

i need to send barbara hackett a thank you card and some flowers

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Think of this guy having an affair with a woman less than half his age the next time you're ridin' the SmartTrack to your destination:

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
It's over.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Democracy?

Does it work?

Find out when a section of CSPAM posters do or don't get their way.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Quoting the idiot.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
The conservatives on City going from super smug to salty has been :discourse:.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

thank u scarborough

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

conservatives run province/city into ground -> NDP win power -> unable to unfuck massive systemic damage caused by conservatives -> NDP scapegoated for problems they didn’t cause -> conservatives are back in baby

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

don't forget, the municipality and all the power it has exists solely at the whim of the conservative majority government which has already unilaterally rammed through legislation explicitly to gently caress with it

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:unsmith:

i voted

for her

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

a broken city with empty coffers, less than a full term to fix it, and an outwardly hostile provincial gov and legacy media class? yeah it's gonna be a shitshow starting immediately. Liv needs to come out the gate strong by personally blowing up the Gardiner tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I hope she uses every public platform to thank Doug Ford for giving her the power she needs.