Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

everyone knows email has been rendered unusable by spam. We are constantly being chased from one method of communication to another by advertising. Everyone stopped using voice calls because of the spam, then we abandoned faxes because of the spam, then email, now we’re trying to find something less spammy than sms.

in the future we will meet and communicate only in person but it will be so cheap to manufacture spam androids that our conversations will be interrupted by spam people and we will have to find more and more elaborate ways of avoiding the undesirable robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

that wasn't there until sometime after i posted the link. maybe we juiced the views a little too much

I opened it once, saw this, left, and then was intrigued enough to open again and it was gone. I skim read it and didn’t understand what gave it away that the dude knows of us and I still don’t

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"everything is getting worse" is kind of a recurring theme around here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

lol imagine gatekeeping yospos

i mean i’m still here how much lower can it get

Expo70 posted:

2, i have a tendency to see unusual connections between things other people aren't interested in and i should think more about the things others are interested in

a beautiful mind

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Unicorn social app IRL to shut down after admitting 95% of its users were fake
https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/26/irl-shut-down-fake-users/

Also, all the users were virgins.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

"everything is getting worse" is kind of a recurring theme around here

and very specifically the death of the internet and how/why that's happening. it's been a topic of conversation a number of times here in the last few weeks, and ed's column covers a lot of ground using a lot of reasoning seen here in yospos.

so, like i said, either he's a goon or yospos is a weird cultural zeitgeist

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yospos is the nexus of all internet realities. it all comes together here

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

and ed's column covers a lot of ground

who is ed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ed zitron, the person who wrote the opinion piece we're discussing

https://wheresyoured.at/p/the-internet-is-already-broken

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

graph posted:

who is ed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

yospos is the nexus of all internet realities. it all comes together here

some backwater forum on a dying message board, inhabited by cranky old nerds. that fits

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

spam people

pua freaks, mansplainers and other types of entitled assholes without respect for others private space already exist though

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
mindbendingly rich billionaire has a sad
https://twitter.com/rmc031/status/1672873689337982978

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i don’t respect him

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats why i hate this rto push. i honestly genuinely do respect my coworkers + i think we all do serious work + you are valid etc etc + also i do not want to be locked in an 8x12 glass box with one side a giant zoom tv and cameras and bad mics everywhere so we can cosplay Having A Meeting so the c-levs can sleep soundly knowing that their commercial real estate investments are secure

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the commercial real estate investments have already eaten poo poo 50-90%, this is rearguard action and a lotta closing the door after the horse is out

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sorry you missed your page by 10 pages lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
or did i

all good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

or did i

all good

which ones your alt?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i actually really dont have an alt. promise. that page is very cute though ilu all. well almost all.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what's up with these "smart" people thinking they're going to make back 11 figures they wasted on dumb garbage $8 at a time

quote:

Whether you’re a seasoned VR gamer or new to the medium, it can be hard to know where to start when exploring the Meta Quest catalog. Luckily, we’re combining curation and convenience to make things a little easier. Now you can browse less and play more with Meta Quest+, your new VR subscription service. For just $7.99 USD per month or $59.99 USD annually (a savings of over 37%), you’ll get access to two hand-picked VR titles every month. And when you sign up now through July 31, you’ll get your first month for $1 USD*. With a combination of VR’s biggest hits, hidden gems, and back-catalog classics, this is the most affordable way to grow your library with killer content.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
god drat that is microsoft office 99 sales copy as gently caress, but worse

i hate it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm enjoying the prisoners dilemma of subscription services meeting its inevitable conclusion

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

who the gently caress aspires to be a tech bro

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Recommendations, but as a service.

Online!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

what's up with these "smart" people thinking they're going to make back 11 figures they wasted on dumb garbage $8 at a time

two hand picked titles, picked by us.

yes, it's like a loot crate where you pay us money every month for whatever poo poo we decide to offload.

a real win/win for meta to charge for subscription access and charge developers to promote their titles as monthly picks.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

went to the new job's office for the first time yesterday. as part of the tour they showed me where they keep the meta quest headset someone i guess impulse bought in case i ever wanted to play a game on it or something. it's in a drawer, untouched, like the rest of the metaverse

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

who is ed

ed balls

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

come on man. read the thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fart simpson posted:

come on man. read the thread

no

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

MononcQc posted:

who the gently caress aspires to be a tech bro

I had a report who did, but my boss canned him for repeatedly making untrue poo poo up to the CTO. Have to respect the commitment to the bit.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

two hand picked titles, picked by us.

yes, it's like a loot crate where you pay us money every month for whatever poo poo we decide to offload.

a real win/win for meta to charge for subscription access and charge developers to promote their titles as monthly picks.

old enough to remember this business model when it was called Columbia House

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it reads like they're trying to ape the gamep rear end / ps+ model but known they don't have enough of a library to last people more than a month if they did it right

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kitten smoothie posted:

old enough to remember this business model when it was called Columbia House

that reminds me, a little while ago i went on ebay and bought the only worthwhile Time Life Book, entirely for the cover art:

since they're effectively worthless garbage i think it was like five bucks shipping included too

e: i mean the rest of that series has some other great cover art too but i feel like i can only buy one Stupid rear end Book a year or my wife will kill me and that one was my favorite. these are pretty good too tho:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 27, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Fool posted:

it reads like they're trying to ape the gamep rear end / ps+ model but known they don't have enough of a library to last people more than a month if they did it right

how long do they have before the bottom of the barrel

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the time life computers series had a bunch of banging airbrush art about how transistors work and stuff

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fart simpson posted:

how long do they have before the bottom of the barrel

barrel shavings, collected and curated by us for just $8 month!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

the time life computers series had a bunch of banging airbrush art about how transistors work and stuff

oh yeah i saw an ad for that while watching Old VHS Bullshit and it looked p good too

also for a more modern take, i recently got this book and it's full of excellent photography of carefully prepared cutaways of electronic components and de-capped chips and stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Open-Circuits-Beauty-Electronic-Components/dp/1718502346/

it's the current coffee table book on our coffee table and it's gonna take a lot to unseat it

e: seriously I love how they get such nice crisp sections like this. i guess filling it with resin as mentioned, then cut it, then polish the exposed face a bunch? i can't imagine polishing a bunch of completely dissimilar materials is terribly easy

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 27, 2023

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Kids these days won't grow up with the joy of watching Beyond 2000 amd seeing none of those things come to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shame Boy posted:

oh yeah i saw an ad for that while watching Old VHS Bullshit and it looked p good too

also for a more modern take, i recently got this book and it's full of excellent photography of carefully prepared cutaways of electronic components and de-capped chips and stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Open-Circuits-Beauty-Electronic-Components/dp/1718502346/

it's the current coffee table book on our coffee table and it's gonna take a lot to unseat it

e: seriously I love how they get such nice crisp sections like this. i guess filling it with resin as mentioned, then cut it, then polish the exposed face a bunch? i can't imagine polishing a bunch of completely dissimilar materials is terribly easy

a few weeks ago i went to the premiere pot factory in china