Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

it basically breaks toolbars up into collapsable categories

it’s quite good in outlook because it means that pesky “new email” button is half the time hidden behind switching ribbons. never want immediate access to that button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pulcinella posted:

Microsoft coming up with the ribbon UI in the office apps, then refusing to make it a standard part of the SDK for third party developers. I think they even patented it and and required paying for a license if you wanted to use it. Actual merit of the UI aside, why the gently caress would you do this? Imagine if Apple or Goggle charged you a poo poo load of money to use navigation bars in phone UI.

Imagine if people actually used the phone UI in their designs instead of literal garbage a designer poo poo out.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Beeftweeter posted:

they thought it was just that good lol

i do remember some freeware crap including a ribbon-alike around the same time though so either they backed down really fast or didn't really care about enforcement

Lol no MS sued Corel, so there was at least some enforcement. As you said, they really did think it was just that good!
https://www.infoq.com/news/2018/02/Ribbon-UI/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
oh right, i completely forgot about that. jeez, i can't believe the ribbon has been around for almost 20 years now

anyway as that article also points out i guess they did scrap the licensing program in favor of frameworks that were already licensed to use the design. since they dropped it though i'd guess some implementation that uses something else (like openoffice) is fine

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pulcinella posted:

Microsoft coming up with the ribbon UI in the office apps, then refusing to make it a standard part of the SDK for third party developers. I think they even patented it and and required paying for a license if you wanted to use it. Actual merit of the UI aside, why the gently caress would you do this? Imagine if Apple or Goggle charged you a poo poo load of money to use navigation bars in phone UI.

this ribbon? https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/windowsribbon/-uiplat-windowsribbon-entry

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

yes, that framework was not available until at least 5 years after the concept was introduced in 2005

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gnossiennes posted:

https://youtu.be/z5uo60kfx6A

in that case here is an extremely niche xtranormal video about indie pop that i still think about sometimes

:lol:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lowtax

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

:blessed:

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

"Unregistered HyperCam 2"

just saw a youtube video with that watermark.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

every windows laptop having a 1366 × 768 display

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

distortion park posted:

Also like, I dunno, 70% of modern business laptops with like a 12th gen i5 and a loving 1366x786 screen

Its insane

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

kinda owns that we hit a wall wrt performance

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

distortion park posted:

1280x720 is the lowest resolution you can have and still call ‘HD’ but windows doesn’t work properly if the vertical resolution is less than 768, hence 1366x768. literally the bare minimum. bonus points if it’s a garbage tn panel as well

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

17" used to be considered a humongous monitor size

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beeftweeter posted:

and 800x600 was unfathomably many pixels

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Color bit depth

I remember having GPU's that could do hardware accellerated 3D graphics, but could only do them in 16 bit color

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

more like 15.8" to 16.1"

remember that they used to include the portion of the tube occluded by the bezel in the nominal size, so the actual visible area was smaller

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Color bit depth

I remember having GPU's that could do hardware accellerated 3D graphics, but could only do them in 16 bit color

i want to say the voodoo 3 did some weird thing where the output was dithered to 16 bit, then was converted back to 24 bit for output. iirc, screenshots dumped from the card's framebuffer skipped the conversion back to 24 bit, so they looked demonstrably worse than the nvidia and ati cards of the time

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 28, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

The_Franz posted:

more like 15.8" to 16.1"

remember that they used to include the portion of the tube occluded by the bezel in the nominal size, so the actual visible area was smaller

yeah monitor boxes used to clearly advertise both viewable size and dot pitch lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Color bit depth

glide's fancy dithering that made 24 bits look good for hl1

The_Franz posted:

i want to say the voodoo 3 did some weird thing where the output was dithered to 16 bit, then was converted back to 24 bit for output. iirc, screenshots dumped from the card's framebuffer skipped the conversion back to 24 bit, so they looked demonstrably worse than the nvidia and ati cards of the time

yeahs, that sounds right. in action it was fine, but stills later looked terrible

granted my comparison was software mode or the 4(?)mb ati embedded in the mobo, so every game looked better even as crappy screenshots

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

16 bpp looked fine for the most part if the game supported it. i was a tester for most of the early call of duty games and was constantly switching it because it was an easy way to get 60+ fps with a radeon 9500

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well also the early call of duty games only had like four colors in them soooo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

well also the early call of duty games only had like four colors in them soooo

well i also did it with wolfenstein enemy territory which... hm, also had a similar palette

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I walked to a store to buy my 1280x1024, 14" .28 dot pitch SVGA monitor that could display over 16 million colors! and then carried it home like eight blocks, I had to keep stopping every half block because it was heavy as gently caress, but it cost me like $250 of my hard earned from burger flipping dollars and I loved it so much.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Early Call of Duty, Medal of Honor and Day of Defeat are all blended into one memory in my head. Can anyone tell them apart?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maybe DoD after they took out the nazi imagery to distribute in Europe, because they replace the youth knife (yikes!) with a trench shovel

watching a whole team get shoveled in the kill list was kinda funny

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I walked to a store to buy my 1280x1024, 14" .28 dot pitch SVGA monitor that could display over 16 million colors! and then carried it home like eight blocks, I had to keep stopping every half block because it was heavy as gently caress, but it cost me like $250 of my hard earned from burger flipping dollars and I loved it so much.

I got a 20 inch LCD in 2005 and it was the biggest flat screen anybody had ever seen.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

memories of playing borderlands 2 on a fuckin' 1024x768 crt :allears:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

borderlands 2 came out in like 2013

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

borderlands 2 came out in like 2013

being poor is poo poo, yes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I absolutely played borderlands 1 on a crt because the 360 was still on it, sadly we never had one of the super late crts with hdmi though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol i am by no means rich but i can't remember the last time i even saw a crt that wasn't in a picture or video

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have one in my bedroom, it’s a super nice 22” panasonic

it doesn’t work, I need to get it repaired

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

njsykora posted:

it’s a super nice

it doesn’t work

:raise:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

super nice inasmuch as it doesn't expose him to you're posting

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rotor posted:

super nice inasmuch as it doesn't expose him to you're posting

really doing some legwork to put those two things together. all for a mean little post

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed it very much

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i am by no means rich but i can't remember the last time i even saw a crt that wasn't in a picture or video

i pulled this old cnc lathe out of storage to clean up as a summer project

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

i pulled this old cnc lathe out of storage to clean up as a summer project

wanna press that big red button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

wanna push all of those buttons and turn the knobs