Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Some of the new POIs are doing some really cool visual story telling. I love the checkpoint POIs that spawn outside of some cities. Also in one town, right outside the checkpoint was a travel plaza/gas station that was full of cars, plus a bunch of tents set up, really gives you a feel for what the world was like in the early days of the zombie outbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Qubee posted:

We don't split magazines, we just read everything even if there's 2 of the same one because the book icon isn't open, which means we can still get exp. Typically, none of us actually even read what we pick up, if the small book icon is closed, we read it.

I will tell the group to split mags from now on, so anything forge related or grease monkey related can go to a specific person so we can level it up faster.

It also depends on who opens the container (or magazine bundle) as skills now determine RNG on magazines. The person with points in engineering should open toolboxes, destroyed crafting stations, or anything that seems related to making stuff. The person with master chef should open kitchen cabinets. If someone is lagging behind in their specific weapon type (if anyone has one) crafting level they should be the one to open weapon boxes.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Qubee posted:

Having an absolute blast playing the new A21 update with a friend. Only criticism is progression has been slowed way the hell down. I am totally okay with and completely understand the item drop rework, as it used to be a bit silly getting incredibly good weapons / armour based purely off of chance on your third hour in the game. But making everything unlock via magazine is a total ache.

We've been hardcore grinding this game for coming up to three days now, and we've not even managed to unlock the forge. We're still running around with stone tools and weapons, despite having reached 12 days ingame.

I feel like we're hitting a wall where we're getting tired of the current gamestage and want to start making more things - iron tools, bullets, etc. but we're locked behind chance drops of magazines.

PS: Should I invest in Intelligence attribute to unlock the Grease Monkey perks, or do Traders drop a Minibike / Motorcycle if you progress far enough up the quest chain like they did with our bicycles?

Have either of you put skill points into advanced engineering? You are more likely to get magazines tied to certain perks.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

OgNar posted:

"We recommend starting a new savegame with b323 for the best experience. We don't expect to break existing Experimental savegames with this build."

I think that's because they added new POIs and if you don't generate a new world or use the updated Navezgane map you won't see those.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

My issue with these games that are EA for so long is that they adjust difficulty over time to the folks they speak to and hear from most: their testers and the diehards. So what is piss-easy for them is awful for everyone else. I don’t know how you get around that though, but it tends to mean you run into things like this weird water issue.

Farworld Pioneers just came out and one of my first pieces of feedback was ‘having a colonist killing blizzard in the first like 30-45 minutes of gameplay is brutal because 1) I was still exploring and 2) I didn’t even know the prepare for it.’ And I remember one of the long time testers just being like ‘oh, yeah but you just…’ and rattle off a list of steps that made sense… after I had restarted my whole game 3 different times because all my colonists died. Even one of the devs was like ‘oh, right I guess if you haven’t been playing the test server for a year that wouldn’t be something you’d know to do.’

To their credit, it got fixed right away and the game is feeling like it’s in a good place.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I do hate the veterans players for complaining the game is too easy after they mastered everything and the dev makes it even harder for casual/solo/new player to enjoy the game.

Even most overhaul mods are dead set on making everything harder, grindy and less fun.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nyaa posted:

I do hate the veterans players for complaining the game is too easy after they mastered everything and the dev makes it even harder for casual/solo/new player to enjoy the game.

Even most overhaul mods are dead set on making everything harder, grindy and less fun.

There are several settings you can tweak in the server config to make it as easy or as grindy as you like.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It's been many months since I last played so I went to go generate a new singleplayer world to see what's up with the new update, and no trader spawned? Does this regularly happen on the smallest (2048) maps, or is there some setting I used "wrong" that broke things, or did i just get wildly unlocky like 3 mapgens in a row before I gave up?

Towns max, wilderness pois max, few rivers, few lakes, mostly plains, smallest mapsize.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

They should make it so that every vehicle book you read makes vehicles go 0.5% faster or something.

Although I think they want to remain conservative with vehicle speed in general due to the way chunks can load slowly, especially in multiplayer.

But it could easily be changed to improve other aspects of vehicles, like durability or fuel efficiency.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

sushibandit posted:

It's been many months since I last played so I went to go generate a new singleplayer world to see what's up with the new update, and no trader spawned? Does this regularly happen on the smallest (2048) maps, or is there some setting I used "wrong" that broke things, or did i just get wildly unlocky like 3 mapgens in a row before I gave up?

Towns max, wilderness pois max, few rivers, few lakes, mostly plains, smallest mapsize.

Are you positive you got no traders?
Because they changed the way the traders generate and you may get a couple per town and you may get none at all.
And theres a long standing bug where if there isnt one in the forest area you may not get the starter quest to go there.
You can always toss your map files directly into this page and it will show you any traders

https://kui.github.io/7dtd-map/

Just installed this shotgun mod that adds a few new guns to the world.
It screws up the tab visuals so you cant tell what gets unlocked next but the guns look and feel really good.
https://7daystodiemods.com/shotgun-pack/

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

OgNar posted:

And theres a long standing bug where if there isnt one in the forest area you may not get the starter quest to go there.

When I finish the tutorial to the point where it sends me to a trader, "none" is shown in the quest tooltip/direction header so it might just be that bug. I will have to dump one of the maps into that link to take a look at later.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Nyaa posted:

This goes for every game. "I have no life/job/hobbies and spend 15 hours a day playing this game, it's too easy" So devs change things or make sequels exponentially harder, in some cases making things too difficult and then the same people complain about that and I'm like "this is what you get for bitching the Ultra Hard setting wasn't hard enough you loving assholes! :argh:" I play pretty much any game with difficulty settings at easy or normal, not because I'm bad but with the exception of a few games, "harder" only means "more grindy" or "absolute bullshit." I just want to play and have fun. If I want to smash my tits in a silverware drawer, I'll play a Souls game (I like Souls games but From has a good track record of "hard but fair" where most games haven't figured that last part out).

RandomBlue posted:

There are several settings you can tweak in the server config to make it as easy or as grindy as you like.
I always crank up loot and loot respawn because even after the apocalypse, there would still be so much poo poo everywhere. Or really any game that requires harvesting because I'd rather be fighting and exploring than chopping down goddamn trees.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Yeah, scrapping down cobberstone for stone is so much easier and faster than mining it. 100 of those cost like 30 coin and can be break down to 70 stone.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Nyaa posted:

Yeah, scrapping down cobberstone for stone is so much easier and faster than mining it. 100 of those cost like 30 coin and can be break down to 70 stone.
I find mining to be fairly zen, so I generally end up with more stone than I know what to do with. Clay is worse since you're just digging dirt, but it goes fast with a steel shovel. I like the block regen mechanic too - mine a big hole and a couple days later it's reset so you don't have to range further and further for resources unless you want to or need something from a different biome.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Saxophone posted:

My issue with these games that are EA for so long is that they adjust difficulty over time to the folks they speak to and hear from most: their testers and the diehards. So what is piss-easy for them is awful for everyone else. I don’t know how you get around that though, but it tends to mean you run into things like this weird water issue.

When the goon server went up they had Feral Sense on, I was careful to point out that is one of the rougher settings out there for new players (I personally am used to it but if you aren't then you WILL GET MOBBED like crazy by hordes of zombies when it's on). I don't think it's very well explained but that might be because they assume anyone running a server is already familiar with the settings, and that's a bad assumption to make. If you know the game and understand the AI really well it's suuuuuuuuuper easy to cheese the AI, to dance rings around the zombies, to take on ferals on Day 1 and survive victorious and unscathed.

If you don't know the game well then it's a brutal nightmare of trying to figure out how to escape from these maniacs running as fast as you can that never stop chasing you and claw away at any structure you find solace in, breaking in all too quickly. Trying to balance both newcomers and the diehards is so goddamn tough.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 29, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Vib Rib posted:

That said, the respec potion is 10x cheaper than it used to be so your endgame stats when you have all the mags and food and crafts you could ever want can be distributed much more freely.

this completely wrecks the notion that any mechanic anywhere else in the game is intended to make it more immersive.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
With another new "stable" release, do we want a reset?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Farworld Pioneers just came out and one of my first pieces of feedback was ‘having a colonist killing blizzard in the first like 30-45 minutes of gameplay is brutal because 1) I was still exploring and 2) I didn’t even know the prepare for it.’ And I remember one of the long time testers just being like ‘oh, yeah but you just…’ and rattle off a list of steps that made sense… after I had restarted my whole game 3 different times because all my colonists died. Even one of the devs was like ‘oh, right I guess if you haven’t been playing the test server for a year that wouldn’t be something you’d know to do.’

To their credit, it got fixed right away and the game is feeling like it’s in a good place.

The game being balanced around people with 1000s of hours into it certainly is a problem with 7D2D and can be a problem with games that are in development for hundreds of years. However, 7D2D also suffers from the devs being extremely "you will play how I want you to play". If madmole doesn't like how you play the game and he hears about it, he will make changes to stop it.

TFP's design philosophy really appears to be how can we force people to engage in ways we approve of, and not how do we encourage people to engage with mechanics without making it feel forced.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

LOL

https://twitter.com/7DaystoDie/status/1674456550054690816

"A21 b317 savegames are compatible with A21 b324."

The link doesnt actually state what was changed in this update that I could find.
It just links to their full release notes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They basically admit they're "rushing" it out to get onto 4th of July sales. b324 is a hotfix that fixes like one crash. They're just saying "yup, good enough to sell".

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm getting a little tired of the extreme difficulty swings in this game. I'm just rampaging though quests and higher level Pois like the hospital, but if you don't build a perfectly ai exploiting horde base good loving luck surviving horde night.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

PowderKeg posted:

With another new "stable" release, do we want a reset?

i vote yes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm getting a little tired of the extreme difficulty swings in this game. I'm just rampaging though quests and higher level Pois like the hospital, but if you don't build a perfectly ai exploiting horde base good loving luck surviving horde night.

if you're playing on a solo server just disable Blood Moon it's fine. you can replace it with something like this that doesn't use the Blood Moon mechanics and just makes huge random hordes - still scary, still a threat to bases if you aren't careful, but they don't cheat
https://7daystodiemods.com/improved-hordes/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I've got that in a holding pattern when they add the sans screamers version for a21.
Just havent decided yet.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

To each their own and while I haven’t messed around with them too much when I did try a couple No Blood Moon games I found it better to do some combination of lowering loot abundance, turning up the general difficulty including dropping everything on death, making the slowest zombie speed Run, and turning up zombie block damage. But maybe you just wanna kill a bunch of slow zombies, go nuts.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I turn up daytime run speed to Jog

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

To each their own and while I haven’t messed around with them too much when I did try a couple No Blood Moon games I found it better to do some combination of lowering loot abundance, turning up the general difficulty including dropping everything on death, making the slowest zombie speed Run, and turning up zombie block damage. But maybe you just wanna kill a bunch of slow zombies, go nuts.

I've done the no blood moons thing with 25% loot abundance in a19 and a20. Early on was tough to have enough food, meant doing trader quests were essential to have Dukes to buy food with.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

25% loot abundance is a bit too low. You can get air drops with literally a single potato.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Not a fan of air drops, 7 Days is a land of contrasts etc

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Not a fan of air drops, 7 Days is a land of contrasts etc

Just the most extreme example I could remember. Tier 1 and 2 chests can be similarly barren.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

25% loot abundance is a bit too low. You can get air drops with literally a single potato.

I feel like when I was playing at 75% I had literally found an empty airdrop at least once. They are deeply underwhelming in general imo.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OgNar posted:

https://twitter.com/7DaystoDie/status/1674456550054690816
The link doesnt actually state what was changed in this update that I could find.
It just links to their full release notes.
That's because this is a main branch update. They're announcing that A21 is finally out of experimental and into stable.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

What the hell did they do to the lighting??? Walk into a POI at midday for a mission, no clouds in sight, and autoexposure goes turbo and basically makes it impossibly dark, can't see a loving thing without whipping out a torch. This is asinine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If the game wants clouds they roll in instantly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

sushibandit posted:

What the hell did they do to the lighting??? Walk into a POI at midday for a mission, no clouds in sight, and autoexposure goes turbo and basically makes it impossibly dark, can't see a loving thing without whipping out a torch. This is asinine.

I've noticed this too, bright day outside and everything is fine, enter a building and suddenly things will turn pitch black but still maintain a hint of daylight for no reason whatsoever. We're not even deep inside a building, we can be right by the windows and it'll still be borderline impossible to see.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

LOL
Well this will get patched quickly.
Someone figured out how to attach directly to the side of certain spots on the trader bases creating a horde base with invincible supports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CfoH1p1lQk

You can build a tower and jump into the trader base but you, of course, get teleported out if inside the trader area.
Except for a few choice wall spots that are seemingly slightly outside that invisible TP box.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 30, 2023

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

If the game wants clouds they roll in instantly.

This is part of it too. Even if you can see indoors without a light source, if it gets cloudy or you get one of the extremely frequent storms, it'll suddenly turn into the darkest night you've ever seen.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Godlessdonut posted:

This is part of it too. Even if you can see indoors without a light source, if it gets cloudy or you get one of the extremely frequent storms, it'll suddenly turn into the darkest night you've ever seen.

yeah i noticed this early on I had to turn up my gamma to see, cloludy days are way too dark IMO.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Man the Insanity difficulty just sucks.

Was doing okay before a quest led me to a POI in the burned area, and a bear was waiting for me as I walked out.

Faster than sprinting, never lets up, unfazed by a shotgun blast, he proceed to maul me to death with 1 swipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Were you on the Navezgane map? Because otherwise the burned area is the wasteland, the hardest biome, and will likely flood you with high level enemies constantly.