Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
But it's structural saran wrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Did they hire Grover

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

the virgin euthanasia coaster vs. the chad grover coaster

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Flex tape

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Azhais posted:

Did they hire Grover

lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Real "Jaws 4th of July Weekend" vibes there

Replacing that custom made support beam with 45 degree attachment at the top would probably take weeks or months so you can just weld it and cover it up and have a park engineer declare it's structurally sound

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who the gently caress would sign off on that and how bad is their day drinking habit?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Surely that’s just a prank, right? Like they shut it down and had it covered while waiting on a replacement, someone snapped that photo and made a fake social media pose, right?

okay, yeah, that social media post does seem to be a joke

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It is hard to tell sometimes. I've heard of road bridges being fixed by injecting epoxy and wrapping with carbon fiber tape.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Phanatic posted:

My favorite insurance story ever is this:

Some years ago there was a Ferrari stolen from a dealership near me. Basically a guy went in with some real-looking credentials and arranged a test drive of an F50. He goes off on a test drive with the salesman in the right seat. At some point, he stops the car on a side street and says "I love it, I'll buy it, why don't you drive it back to the dealership?" Saleman gets out of the car, guy instantly takes off, no doubt around the corner into a waiting truck. Dealership reports the car as stolen, insurance company pays the dealership.

Years later, there's an FBI drug raid on some dealer's residence down somewhere in the southeast, and lo and behold, they find this car. They seize it as evidence.

Years after that while the case is proceeding, the FBI decides it is for some reason necessary to move the car from one storage facility to another. Purely coincidentally it takes two people to move the car, one of whom is an assistant DA and the other of whom is the deputy SAIC. And while they're moving it, they wreck the thing. At which point the insurance company which owns the car says "You owe us several hundred grand for that supercar of ours you just wrecked." The DOJ's official response is, not in so many words "gently caress you we're the government we don't owe you poo poo." And then when this goes to court, the court backs the DOJ.

What the gently caress dude, you know, poo poo happens. I'm sure these federal agents did their best to carefully, safely drive this Ferrari to its intended destination.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Pekinduck posted:

What the gently caress dude, you know, poo poo happens. I'm sure these federal agents did their best to carefully, safely drive this Ferrari to its intended destination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fQDnDKhcaM

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

CitizenKain posted:

Years ago, they changed something with how sparklers burn so they don't turn into a IED when wrapped in tape. Maybe there are some brands that still work the right way, but it was pretty disappointing that you couldn't turn a few bucks of sparklers into something that sets off car alarms.
That video is just a jet of fire, sparkler bombs were incredibly loud and made an impressive shockwave. It did get to the point where every store in town pulled electrical tape from shelves.

A lot of people lost mailboxes one summer before they banned them here. Sometime in the late 90's early 2000's I think.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Every. loving. Time.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
At a glance tell me how much pressure this fire extinguisher charge gauge is reading, it's too low obviously,

Ignore the blue line for now, zero is at 9 o'clock 1000kpa is at 12 o'clock and 2070kpa is at 3 o'clock so it must be around 700kpa right:shrug:

Nope it's zero the entire gauge sweep is between the two white dots on the dial that are obscured by the plastic bezel when placed at the typical mounting height on the wall. I noticed the kitchen extinguisher had lost pressure down to the blue line a couple of weeks ago so I replaced it with a new one and when I went to discharge and dispose of the old one today it only farted out about a quarter of a cup of powder, I was surprised because the extinguisher I had before that one had close to a 180 degree swing on the gauge like the placement of the 0 1000 and 2070 on this one might imply.
This lovely ambiguous gauge design could have given false hope and wasted precious time if I had had a fire before getting the replacement extinguisher, it only had to have either actual limit pegs or had the zero and 2070 placed near where the needle actually indicates those pressures to not fail at giving you the right information when you are in a panic.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The amount it's showing is fail on a scale of fail to pass. That kind of gauge doesn't have a finer resolution than that

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A fire extinguisher reading recharge needs to be taken out of service during inspection because your order of operations when using it does not involve looking at the gauge. End of story, any finer reading of the gauge is for recharge techs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
*Negligent Harry nervously staring at a small gauge while the flat top billows flames* I know what you're thinking. Is the needle on red or green? Actually, here, let me check. It's on red. I guess I'm just going to step out now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Azhais posted:

Did they hire Grover

It's a Groverkoaster

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

coldpudding posted:

At a glance tell me how much pressure this fire extinguisher charge gauge is reading, it's too low obviously,

Ignore the blue line for now, zero is at 9 o'clock 1000kpa is at 12 o'clock and 2070kpa is at 3 o'clock so it must be around 700kpa right:shrug:

Nope it's zero the entire gauge sweep is between the two white dots on the dial that are obscured by the plastic bezel when placed at the typical mounting height on the wall. I noticed the kitchen extinguisher had lost pressure down to the blue line a couple of weeks ago so I replaced it with a new one and when I went to discharge and dispose of the old one today it only farted out about a quarter of a cup of powder, I was surprised because the extinguisher I had before that one had close to a 180 degree swing on the gauge like the placement of the 0 1000 and 2070 on this one might imply.
This lovely ambiguous gauge design could have given false hope and wasted precious time if I had had a fire before getting the replacement extinguisher, it only had to have either actual limit pegs or had the zero and 2070 placed near where the needle actually indicates those pressures to not fail at giving you the right information when you are in a panic.

A person like me would have looked at the gauge and figure it was "only a little under charged" for the next 20 years.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

lushka16 posted:

A person like me would have looked at the gauge and figure it was "only a little under charged" for the next 20 years.

That's what I was thinking about it was just barley in the red on that little gauge, I'm really fussy about inspecting my stuff but then there are all the lazy people who cant be bothered to do anything more than extinguisher there ok.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Private Speech posted:

One might be tempted to reply with "India", "underinvestment" or "poverty" but I remember seeing a video of a white guy subway surfing like that in NYC (video was from passenger not him).

So probably just "stupidity".

Someone just died subway surfing in DC a couple of weeks ago. Fuckin tragedy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Load bearing saran wrap

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hollismason posted:

Load bearing saran wrap

Clinging to hopes and dreams

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

Clinging to hopes and dreams
Ok, before this becomes a page full of puns, could we just call it a wrap?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Slugworth posted:

Ok, before this becomes a page full of puns, could we just call it a wrap?

Que Saran, Saran

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hollismason posted:

Load bearing saran wrap

The owners should make a film about the incident

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Careful, you might cut yourself on that edge

but more likely that edge will only cut through a part of the wrap, then the uncut part snaps and the suddenly-loose and somehow way too long strand of wrap bunches all up into itself, then you swear while frantically clawing at it to pull apart while trying to decide if it'd be too wasteful to just throw that section out and try again

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
That rollercoaster is the Fury 325 at Carowinds, like 3 miles from where I live. I was friends in high school with a guy who at some point decided that riding rollercoasters was his new identity, and he recently surpassed 10,000 laps on that attraction.

His reaction to the crack in the structure is that people are over-reacting and he’s confident the management will get it fixed ASAP. The coaster is closed while they work on it and he’s more bummed about that than the thought of riding it as is

Edit: that Effing, SC tweet is indeed a joke; the fine folks of Effing are always funnin around like that on social media :) (also Effing is like not even close to Fort Mill/Charlotte where that park is located)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

timp posted:

That rollercoaster is the Fury 325 at Carowinds, like 3 miles from where I live. I was friends in high school with a guy who at some point decided that riding rollercoasters was his new identity, and he recently surpassed 10,000 laps on that attraction.

His reaction to the crack in the structure is that people are over-reacting and he’s confident the management will get it fixed ASAP. The coaster is closed while they work on it and he’s more bummed about that than the thought of riding it as is

Edit: that Effing, SC tweet is indeed a joke; the fine folks of Effing are always funnin around like that on social media :) (also Effing is like not even close to Fort Mill/Charlotte where that park is located)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

wow roller heads really do crave death

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If I was a rollercoaster designer I would simply double up on the supports, then if one breaks it can be left unbolted overnight and replaced at the end of the season.

Yes sure it will mean the coaster costs 25% more but the loss of revenue from having your main coaster out of service for 16 weeks seems like it would cost a lot more than that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If I were a rollercoaster designer I'd just leave the track unfinished and then put a big pond at the end of the track for people to fall into. I'd have people sign waivers. That way I'm legally in the clear.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

This would have been a lot easier and faster if they just held onto his legs and lowered him :confused:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

. Nm just a joke but way too bad if it was read the wrong way

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

timp posted:

“It’s not a problem. If it was a problem they’d do something about it. Oh, they’re doing something about it? Well then that means they’re taking care of the problem. Anyway they should let me ride it since there’s no problem”

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I looked out the window to find my own cat in some equipment at my house.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

timp posted:

Someone in the meme thread shared a bunch of memes from the roller coaster enthusiast community (known as "thoosies") and it was a strange and funny view into a really odd culture with associated vocabulary.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Smart move surfing the bike, because I imagine no amount of padding is gonna save you from some serious injury going over those bumps at speed.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Oof, this struck me because there was a death of a biker today in Finland at a street race, Imatranajo. He was a Dutch racer participating in IRRC Superbike series, he fell and drifted to a roadside pole. :smith: Not the first incident and not even the first one that died because of hitting a pole, it's inexcusable. At least no one in the audience has died since 1986, that was a six year old kid :smith::fireman:

StormDrain posted:

I looked out the window to find my own cat in some equipment at my house.

Pleased to meet you, Bob! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alucard posted:

But it's structural saran wrap