Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Costco sells little tiramisu portions that come in glass cups with a plastic lid and I saved the cups and use one for a salt cellar :shobon:

It's transparent, easy to clean, and the lid is easy to remove and comes all the way off, what more do you need :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We have a discarded mortar (no pestle) full of kosher salt next to the stove. We haven't found that the open salt container gets grungy, and you don't have to mess around with lids when you want a pinch.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
I use the saltbox from Santoku NYC, no clumping, easy to open and close and looks great.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I was gifted the Emile Henry Salt Pig by my partner and it rules but there’s no reason to spend $50 on a little bin

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Not a Children posted:

I was gifted the Emile Henry Salt Pig by my partner and it rules but there’s no reason to spend $50 on a little bin

Right, I was looking at that and thinking it seemed nice but also delitainers come free with takeout so they're kind of winning?

It's good to hear that an open top doesn't seem to get grungy, though. I suppose you go through it pretty briskly and that helps.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

My wife had a 1-cup Dutch oven for some reason, so we use that.

that owns for when you want to fry a single piece of karaage

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

you ate my cat posted:

What do you all like for a salt cellar? Lid vs no lid? I finally wore out the Tupperware knockoff I've been using. I have one of those swing lid wooden ones for Maldon salt, and it's fine, but something ceramic might be nice.

https://www.zerojapanusa.com/products-saltbox

But it is entirely superfluous, and something I bought entirely as a gift to myself and serves no improved purpose except it makes me happy when I grab it for seasoning things.

edit: Checking now, seems this is the same one that Gordon has, except I got mine direct from Zero Japan off their Amazon page, and are slightly cheaper, depending on color and plus/minus giving your money to Bezos.

Borsche69 posted:

that owns for when you want to fry a single piece of karaage

poo poo, don't tempt me, I will make katsu every day if I can get 'em that small. I'm already searching for a better oyakodon pan.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 2, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chemmy posted:

Emile Henry salt pig.

I have a Sur la Table branded one of these, but it looks like they aren't sold any more. Agreed though - it's pretty much the ideal salt cellar.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's salt just put it in a bowl, maybe a small bowl if space matters

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Knock-off Kilner jar with the lid removed because the lid was the bit that got grungy.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I suggest you put your salt in a vessel, preferably one in a round shape, but that isn't strictly necessary. The vessel should have some depth to it, enough so that the total volume of the vessel holds an amount of salt that is acceptable u. Please get a vessel you can put your fingers in. dont be a bitch and use a spoon, this isn't amateur hour. The vessel may or may not have a lid and it may be large or small depending on your salt finishing needs. The vessel should be made of a material, possibly a cheap one, possibly one that's really expensive and made in a foreign country with a fancy name and you convince yourself its an heirloom item or something. Possibly the aesthetic of the vessel matters in which cas eyou should get something you consider pretty. Maybe it doesn't in which case a cheap readil;y available kitchen container will due. Thanks for coming to my salt bowl/container/vessel lecture and namaste

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Google images informs me the Emile Henry salt pig is not shaped like a pig nor does it have little tiny pig ears on top. This is a very disappointing start to my week.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

I have one of these and it’s really nice. The lid keeps stuff out of the salt (important as an ADHD-Haversian), it’s openable one-handed, and very comfortable to hold.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
no points for reposting what you saw on sorted =P

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grocery shopping list, probably from the 50’s

Original tweet claimed it was from the 20’s, but somebody pointed out that frozen food wasn’t common until the early 50’s

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Might have come along with a freezer!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

:nice: In the '20s, devices like this were attached to the cabinets; they weren't portable.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Any recommendations for a quality makiyakinabe?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:nice: In the '20s, devices like this were attached to the cabinets; they weren't portable.

Did you just take your cabinet down and throw it in your wagon to go to the grocer then?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Croatoan posted:

Did you just take your cabinet down and throw it in your wagon to go to the grocer then?

No, you just took a picture with your phone.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Anyone have experience with aftermarket accessories for Kitchenaid mixers? We have a 10 year old 6qt Professional with a dough hook and beater made from some sort of uncoated sintered aluminum. I'd like to get something stainless and dishwasher safe.

As far as I can tell, KA doesn't make stainless replacements for the 6qt. Amazon has a brand called qAp that seems decent but I haven't looked very hard yet. Lots of options from companies with names like Gdrtwwh and aikeec which don't instill me with a ton of confidence.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Discussion Quorum posted:

Anyone have experience with aftermarket accessories for Kitchenaid mixers? We have a 10 year old 6qt Professional with a dough hook and beater made from some sort of uncoated sintered aluminum. I'd like to get something stainless and dishwasher safe.

As far as I can tell, KA doesn't make stainless replacements for the 6qt. Amazon has a brand called qAp that seems decent but I haven't looked very hard yet. Lots of options from companies with names like Gdrtwwh and aikeec which don't instill me with a ton of confidence.

I'm not a doctor of this but, uh, "good luck"

We have some bizarro 5qt Sam's Club special and everything we tried that claimed to fit it was terrible.

There are non-amazon websites that make/supply aftermarket parts for some models and I suspect if you can find something there you'll have a better experience than Amazon can provide.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I got lucky on a porcelain mixer with the rubber spatula edges for mine but i spent a bunch of time verifying model #'s. It is possible!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Croatoan posted:

My theory is that you copied it down on a piece of paper, but that it was faster when cooking to flip a tab over than it was to write a note on a paper list.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
And more likely to get your husband or kids to flip a tab.

In those days it was also normal to call your grocer for delivery (at least in cities and suburbs), so you could phone while looking at the list. Tl;dr but interesting

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 8, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

In those days it was also normal to call your grocer for delivery (at least in cities and suburbs), so you could phone while looking at the list. Tl;dr but interesting

It's pretty normal in these days again to do that. I have a Tesco order coming in about 3 hours without having to leave the comfort of my home :shobon:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

And more likely to get your husband or kids to flip a tab.

gently caress I desperately want to patronize the Piggly Wiggly

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Still can if you’re in the right State

E. https://www.pigglywiggly.com/store-locations/

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I got a used kitchenaid mixer recently. Works mostly ok (it was $50), I'm going to open it up and service it, but one of the things I can't resolve is that the coatings on the beater & dough hook are chipped and slowly coming off.

There are 2 ways I'm thinking of resolving this:

1. Buy stainless attachments

2. Remove all of the coating and buff down the surface of the beater & dough hook.

Has anyone bought aftermarket kitchenaid attachments? First-party ones are pricey so i'm thinking of getting some off amazon. What are your experiences with them?

Alternatively, do you think a polished aluminum surface would be food-safe if it wasn't anodized? Would it cause off flavors?

e: I'm not sure if the beating paddle is the right size, it doesn't look like the one in the manual. Maybe this is causing the problems with the locking head? Does anyone have a 4.5 qt mixer with the OEM attachments that's willing to measure the length of their beater? From flange to tip, this one is 6.125"/155.5mm

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 9, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Don't finish chipping off the enamel. You have no idea if the metal under the enamel is food-safe. I've successfully bought accessories for my mixer on Ebay, but I did my best to steer clear of fakes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Do not try to rehab a lovely kitchenaid beater. They're full of toxic poo poo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You saved enough money on the mixer itself that getting new beaters will be way more than worthwhile. Paint the mixer a different color if you’re feeling ambitious.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Don't finish chipping off the enamel. You have no idea if the metal under the enamel is food-safe. I've successfully bought accessories for my mixer on Ebay, but I did my best to steer clear of fakes.

Gonna give this a shot, thanks. Looking up the model # and serial, I think this mixer is about 21 years old, and has seen an unknown but apparently non-trivial amount of use in that time.

Anyone ever had to fix or replace the tilt head latching mechanism? There's play in it that I can't resolve. I looked up tutorials that recommended adjusting the height using the screw on the upper underside of the hinge. When I tried this, I have to unscrew the screw almost all the way for the lock to engage, and even when it does, it doesn't adjust the play in the mechnism.

I think I found the service manual for this mixer, but there's no mention of this latching mechanism.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My tip on avoiding Kitchenaid fake attachments on Ebay: look for the ones that are marked used, or the ones that are in slightly crumpled packages. Counterfeiters don't age their products.

Real Kitchenaid mixer attachments are almost never stainless steel except for the wire whip. Everything else should be enameled white.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Even the wire whip still has an aluminum base so I suggest hand washing those still

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Now I think of it, older dough hooks are still aluminum.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The dough hook and beater that came with my 2011 kitchen aid were aluminum. I got a beater blade, which I think is the best silicone fin beater. Maybe I’ll get an enameled dough hook sometime but I hardly ever make bread

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah, mine (also from 2011-2012ish) is uncoated. I hardly use it currently, but I want to start making pizza at home. The qAp stuff seems well regarded, and the dough hook apparently has an Amazon flash deal coming, so I'll check it out.

Also, while I get that the lead stuff going around is mostly just one unqualified mommy blogger with an expensive toy, KitchenAid's response is basically "yeah the metal can have some impurities but the coating on our current accessories is safe." That's great news for the folks with coated accessories, but um, say that part about the metal again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

The dough hook and beater that came with my 2011 kitchen aid were aluminum. I got a beater blade, which I think is the best silicone fin beater. Maybe I’ll get an enameled dough hook sometime but I hardly ever make bread
Huh! The beater that came with my 1981 Kitchenaid was white enamel. I should really stop generalizing.

Silicone beater blades are The Way.