Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I made a bear as my caw. B Brian Bear is going to crush AEW in his paws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’m not really sure how the arcane corners of finance work but I doubt it would really be as simple as TK single-handedly bankrolling development, if he even wanted to. That it’s tied up in the Embracer pyramid scheme is cause enough for concern.

A whole lotta words just to say we’re not gonna get Matt Taven.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Devastated that I cannot make Keith Bee.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
lol online is all Omega all the time

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

you all were not lying

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’m not really sure how the arcane corners of finance work but I doubt it would really be as simple as TK single-handedly bankrolling development, if he even wanted to. That it’s tied up in the Embracer pyramid scheme is cause enough for concern.

I suppose it's possible that THQ Nordic/Embracer is there doing functional publishing stuff (watching deadlines, external testing, making deals with Sony/Nintendo/etc, handling physical copies, and so on), while majority of the funding comes from AEW.

But I have pretty much no idea what's happening behind the scenes.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

SvR 2010 was absolutely brutal

It is over THREE HOURS LONG

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

SvR 2010 was absolutely brutal

It is over THREE HOURS LONG

Sequels can be okay, sometimes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kennel posted:

I suppose it's possible that THQ Nordic/Embracer is there doing functional publishing stuff (watching deadlines, external testing, making deals with Sony/Nintendo/etc, handling physical copies, and so on), while majority of the funding comes from AEW.

This is almost never how licensed game development works.

So, let's take Madden, for example. (Or even the most recent WWE 2K games.) Using the 2K games as an example: Take-Two (2K's parent company) and 2K fork out a fee, be it one-time or annually, for the WWE license. As the publisher, 2K contracts with Visual Concepts to produce a 2K game annually. 2K then writes checks to Visual Concepts (usually quarterly or when certain milestones are met) to keep the lights on and keep everyone being paid. Then the game is released, and WWE and 2K Games split revenues and royalties between each other. But WWE doesn't actually do any direct funding of development.

This is why so many game development studios collapse after finally shipping a product, because they don't have any further contracted work to do. And so much of Fight Forever feels terribly under-baked, like Road to Elite and the CAW suite.

That's my concern with Embracer Group's ongoing disaster, because they're shuttering labels and studios left and right. Pretty much everyone who made Volition games great, for example, saw the writing on the wall when Embracer bought them five years ago and left for greener pastures.

Timby fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 2, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I love how PAC looks like an even more deranged homeless lunatic.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Timby posted:

This is almost never how licensed game development works.

So, let's take Madden, for example. (Or even the most recent WWE 2K games.) Using the 2K games as an example: Take-Two (2K's parent company) and 2K fork out a fee, be it one-time or annually, for the WWE license. As the publisher, 2K contracts with Visual Concepts to produce a 2K game annually. 2K then writes checks to Visual Concepts (usually quarterly or when certain milestones are met) to keep the lights on and keep everyone being paid. Then the game is released, and WWE and 2K Games split revenues and royalties between each other. But WWE doesn't actually do any direct funding of development.

This is why so many game development studios collapse after finally shipping a product, because they don't have any further contracted work to do. And so much of Fight Forever feels terribly under-baked, like Road to Elite and the CAW suite.

That's my concern with Embracer Group's ongoing disaster, because they're shuttering labels and studios left and right. Pretty much everyone who made Volition games great, for example, saw the writing on the wall when Embracer bought them five years ago and left for greener pastures.

I thought that it was pretty well established that TK, being an absolute madman, basically willed this game into existence with his bottomless checkbook because there was basically no way that a publisher was going to take a risk on even a “double A” game in such a niche area that has basically been monopolized for the past two decades like the way Madden does for football (without the massive audience for that game).

Given that I guess I just kind of assumed that this was a mix between brand building/advertising and TK just being like “wouldn’t it be cool if there was a fun and good wrestling game” and then paying for said thing to exist. In my head it always made sense for this to have been a thing like when Nintendo basically paid Platinum to develop Bayonetta sequels.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I'm really happy with the actual base gameplay, so I'm holding out hope that Stadium Stampede gets released and then there's a big popularity swell that sees its lifespan increased a bit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Timby posted:

In this case, though, THQ Nordic is just publishing - Yuke's did the development, and it's likely that AEW/Yuke's shopped to publishers and decided on THQN. Yuke's from what I can tell certainly hasn't been Embraced. So THQN is handling publishing details, taking their cut, but it's not the case that Yuke's is all of a sudden going to get shuttered. I think most of the chaos is on Embracer's internal studios anyways.

I still think planning on the game being markedly improved in a year is foolish, I think there's a chance it gets improved and probably a better chance the next game in ~2 years is much better.

It's still fun, it just reminds me of some of the Mario sports games that have come out in the Switch era - the gameplay is fun if limited, they were supported for new characters and some new modes after release, but a lot of the deeper stuff just isn't there. We'll see, a lot of the problems with AEW:FF are fixable, it just takes some time in the oven and assets to come in to the game. Additional things like more match types might take longer. We'll also see what this Stadium Stampede nonsense is as well.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Having a great time with the game so far and I'm really digging how varied a lot of the wrestlers feel from one another. Like a lot of other folks already said the custom stuff is very bare bones with the exception that there's a million different moves to choose from in an unsortable list... Oh well, gameplay keeps me coming back.

Rando picking my wrestler vs computer CM Punk is my go-to process for grinding out exhibition matches to eventually unlock Owen. (I think that's how it works?)

One weird thing: I definitely did a 3-way ladder match in the story mode but I can't figure out if that's an actual option for exhibition? Super frustrating.

But one thing that I did on the side was go through the story mode with Punk and lose every match. Got injured on the battle royale and never went to the hospital, worked out, nor did any of the city-specific stuff. 10/10 experience

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Huh, I just found out you can click the right stick as Penta to remove his glove and Adam Cole brings his kneepad down, both of which give you a special buff. Are there any others that have a special thing bound to clicking the right stick?

Edit: Oh this is also how OC does the hands in pocket thing.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

explosivo posted:

Huh, I just found out you can click the right stick as Penta to remove his glove and Adam Cole brings his kneepad down, both of which give you a special buff. Are there any others that have a special thing bound to clicking the right stick?

That's so cool. I played an explosivo yesterday before my internet timed out on steam was that you? My steam tag is spikeguy

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shard posted:

That's so cool. I played an explosivo yesterday before my internet timed out on steam was that you? My steam tag is spikeguy

I think so! I think I may have matched against you a second time but I had to go and alt-f4'd so we're even.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

explosivo posted:

which means oc can't pull his elbow pad off. drat them all!!!

elite difficulty plays way better than the others btw

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JSmithOTI posted:

Having a great time with the game so far and I'm really digging how varied a lot of the wrestlers feel from one another. Like a lot of other folks already said the custom stuff is very bare bones with the exception that there's a million different moves to choose from in an unsortable list... Oh well, gameplay keeps me coming back.

Rando picking my wrestler vs computer CM Punk is my go-to process for grinding out exhibition matches to eventually unlock Owen. (I think that's how it works?)

One weird thing: I definitely did a 3-way ladder match in the story mode but I can't figure out if that's an actual option for exhibition? Super frustrating.

But one thing that I did on the side was go through the story mode with Punk and lose every match. Got injured on the battle royale and never went to the hospital, worked out, nor did any of the city-specific stuff. 10/10 experience

The story mode has a few match types that aren’t otherwise available from the looks of it, like the gauntlet matches it throws you into occasionally

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

explosivo posted:

I’ve accidentally done this so many times as OC and then can’t get my hands out of my pockets :(

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Ganso Bomb posted:

I’ve accidentally done this so many times as OC and then can’t get my hands out of my pockets :(

hitting grapple might break it?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

wait i think that just throws a rana

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ganso Bomb posted:

I messed around with this a bit in training mode, you can hit whatever you Irish whip button is (I rebound mine to B but I think it's RT by default), or taunt and he'll take his hands out of his pockets.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
dude the match versus all of death triangle sucked poo poo.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Malcolm Excellent posted:

It absolutely does. You can get DQ'd if you use weapons iirc but DT can all be in the ring beating your rear end at the same time? C'mon. Need to buy that Finisher spam power up for it next time.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

The first time I got my rear end kicked in a way that kind of makes sense (I have a hard time telling from a construction standpoint whether you're supposed to actually win these ridiculous odds against you matches) but the second time I beat the three of them like it was a kung fu movie. I'm kind of cooling on Road to Elite at this point, they really should have made whatever branching pathways in it a bit more explicit after a first-time playthrough.

I won't argue about the matches being good in this game, especially compared to the last WWE title I played, but there's room for improvement still. The way you interact with objects is still clunky like it was in old wrestling games, running attacks feel a bit weird in terms of timing/spacing, stuff like that.

If it does get the kind of support that they've been talking about I wonder how much of it is just going to be adding bits and bobs in terms of wrestlers/custom parts/custom moves/match types/modes/etc or if there will fundamental core level revisions too

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Anyone know if they've patched out the Ps4 version for crashes yet? I haven't had any crashes with the Internet switched off but I'd sure like to give the online a try.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
oh my god a just lost a 4 way match because I couldn't break up the pin because all the poo poo in the ring!

This game is very goofy

E:

Maybe I don't understand how to break up pins.

In the next 4 way I just kept kneeing into the pile but the pin wouldn't break up??

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 2, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oh my god a just lost a 4 way match because I couldn't break up the pin because all the poo poo in the ring!

This game is very goofy

E:

Maybe I don't understand how to break up pins.

In the next 4 way I just kept kneeing into the pile but the pin wouldn't break up??
You may have to be targeting the person doing the pin not the one being pinned.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The limited nature of the CAW parts is pretty bad. Are there parts that get unlocked through play beyond the stuff in the shop?

It's weird to not even have stuff like facial hair parts that are already on in-game characters. Or like someone mentioned, layered mask parts like Liger horns that can't actually be layered onto a mask

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone know if the acid drop is in the game, and what it’s called if so? Picking moves is a god drat mess.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone know if the acid drop is in the game, and what it’s called if so? Picking moves is a god drat mess.

I didn't see it while looking through, Shiranui 3 is probably your best bet

Confirmed today you just need to hold L1/R1 to block/counter grapples or strikes. Holding L1 (grapple block) also lets you initiate tests of strength

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The Taxman posted:

I didn't see it while looking through, Shiranui 3 is probably your best bet

Confirmed today you just need to hold L1/R1 to block/counter grapples or strikes. Holding L1 (grapple block) also lets you initiate tests of strength

Yeah I couldn’t find it either. Took 60% of my steam decks battery but I finally finished making my caw.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I have lost both of my matches in road to elite, I am very bad.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

RandolphCarter posted:

Throwing you into a multi person match right at the beginning seems so cruel, they're always a pain in the rear end.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

RandolphCarter posted:

I think I also did but I’ve been on a streak ever since and just won the tag titles with Mox. But then I broke up our team immediately. Changed difficulty to Hard and beat Scorpio Sky on Dark in like 3 minutes so maybe I need to bump the difficulty up to Elite?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No that’s just the Scorpio Sky Experience

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is it possible to do tag matches online with couch co-op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I smashed a champagne bottle in Sting’s face, he did the chest pound and no sold. 10/10 goty