Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

4lokos basilisk posted:

our company values matter a lot the more closer you get to the c-levels and it is because the ceo by now thinks that he has unique business acumen and unique genius ideas (profit = revenue - costs) which means that it is important to do the rituals and ensure business success

please do not look at what our stock price and major investment bets have been doing lately, this is just because the media reporting on us can not grasp our true vision

Our company values such as, working hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Corla Plankun posted:

i made a lot of bad posts this morning when i just woke up and you're right

i just assumed that the tenets had parellelism because thats like rule number one of writing a list but they are actually all over the place and only some of them are imperative

(It is imperative that you) dive deep: fine
(It is imperative that you) learn and be curious: fine
(It is imperative that you) think big: fine
(It is imperative that you) are right, a lot: weird but okay
(It is imperative that you) ownership: wait, what?
(It is imperative that you) customer obsession: this doesn't even..?
(It is imperative that you) frugality: who the gently caress wrote this???

Good writing isn't profitable.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
flyp. zulip. replit

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
just throwing out some places that are hiring https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=36573871

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ultrafilter posted:

Good writing isn't profitable.

it is imperative that you good writing:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i got a nope from one of those interview processes where i was encouraged to read cracking the coding interview and do leetcode so that if i did really well i would get slightly more take home with mandatory on call and one extra day mandatory rto

come on guys: this is europe, you are not offering faang figgies so i guess all you will get here people who are somehow competent enough to pass your process but at the same time don't know their value on the market

i am sad but i think i would have not accepted their offer anyway

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i am here today to share with you the tenets of the Sapozhnik Management Methodology:

1. do the good things
2. don't do the bad things

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
poo poo, poo poo that was supposed to be a $20,000 seminar erm how do i delete it?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the value in the 20k seminar is in getting to do something different for a day, not the actual content of anything, so you dont have to do poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you better not gently caress around on the lunch food tho

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hmm, i see.

bdid i think you need to re-evaluate your day-to-day activities w.r.t the tenets of the Methodology because i'm seeing indications that you might potentially be out of alignment. please circle back with your immediate supervisor to draft a mutually-agreed-upon re-affirmation plan, including specific actionable commitments that cite tenets 1 and 2 of the Methodology.

jesus christ how the gently caress do these people LIVE. even the darkest corners of medieval europe did not contain such utterly diseased minds.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
looks like you hosed around on the lunch food

why is there no maki rolls on the sushi bar. i like maki

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sapozhnik posted:

poo poo, poo poo that was supposed to be a $20,000 seminar erm how do i delete it?

You can still sell it to Management and it'll be brand-new to them because they never read anything anyway

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

edit: wrong thread

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

getting tons of "your background is great but we're pursuing other candidates" and also talking to sourcing recruiters and then the hm declines to continue the process. seems market is very saturated for ios eng.

*tugs at collar*

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

getting tons of "your background is great but we're pursuing other candidates" and also talking to sourcing recruiters and then the hm declines to continue the process. seems market is very saturated for ios eng.

*tugs at collar*

have you looked into android development? we’re scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent, and it’s a relatively painless transition from iOS to android, other than some lifecycle differences

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

have you looked into android development? we’re scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent, and it’s a relatively painless transition from iOS to android, other than some lifecycle differences

if i could do that and still manage some sort of salary bump i would be fine with it. i think in practice it would probably be hitting reset.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I assume in a lot of cases these days you're being underbid by desperate saps who need to pay down the mortgages and teslas they bought when they were making $fuckoff on metaverse crap

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i love the coding interview, it's perfect in every way

you talk through doing a naive implementation and share your thought process? oops, your solution was too simple and we expect more from your seniority
you whip out an optimised solution you remember from hackerrank? oops, you did not explain your thought process enough
you somehow manage to both talk and end up with a good solution? oops, your code should have been more readable

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Dont listen to this man. Down this path lies madness

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

4lokos basilisk posted:

i love the coding interview, it's perfect in every way

you talk through doing a naive implementation and share your thought process? oops, your solution was too simple and we expect more from your seniority
you whip out an optimised solution you remember from hackerrank? oops, you did not explain your thought process enough
you somehow manage to both talk and end up with a good solution? oops, your code should have been more readable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJsYXHCJD54&t=121s

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

KidDynamite posted:

*tugs at collar*

:yossame:

getting a lot of "your resume is amazing and your skillset is to die for. We don't want to talk with you"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

market is saturated for every role

so many applicants

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

also, so many megacorp lifers looking for jobs. one resume had around 20 years at ibm and nothing else. i feel for those folks.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Must be nice to be chaff that long before the winnowing starts

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

nudgenudgetilt posted:

also, so many megacorp lifers looking for jobs. one resume had around 20 years at ibm and nothing else. i feel for those folks.

ive been at my current job going on 9 years now and Im feeling like it might be time to move on but it seems like a terrible time to do so

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what’s wrong with staying at a company for a long time anyways? if they’re treating you right and you’re happy then it seems like a win/win, tho obviously you’d want and need to make sure you’re keeping up with the market and they’re willing to work with you on that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what’s wrong with staying at a company for a long time anyways? if they’re treating you right and you’re happy then it seems like a win/win, tho obviously you’d want and need to make sure you’re keeping up with the market and they’re willing to work with you on that

I have interviewed and worked with enough people that had worked at one place for 20 years or so to be suspicious of them.

Basically you get real used to a company, their processes and tools and culture and everything else and it has a tendency to make you really hidebound and reliant on those things and when you no longer have them, you dont know what to do.

This is really weirdly true with google people on a very compressed timetable. You get a dude thats been at google for 5+ years and the first thing they absolutely must do when they start their new non-google job is reimplement BigTable

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

a lot of people will congeal into an inert mass in a job as well, even if the position is in principle a decent deal.

so, in general, one should probably make sure one has a think now and then if one has the deal and life one wants out of things, and always consider ones options a bit.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

rotor posted:

I have interviewed and worked with enough people that had worked at one place for 20 years or so to be suspicious of them.

Basically you get real used to a company, their processes and tools and culture and everything else and it has a tendency to make you really hidebound and reliant on those things and when you no longer have them, you dont know what to do.

This is really weirdly true with google people on a very compressed timetable. You get a dude thats been at google for 5+ years and the first thing they absolutely must do when they start their new non-google job is reimplement BigTable

Plus I’ve heard google has their own bespoke tools for just about everything I could see google developers struggling elsewhere and generally being insufferable to argue with since “that’s the way we did it at google”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ADINSX posted:

google developers generally being insufferable

yes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

no offense intended to yosgooglers but y'all work with some, uh, unique individuals

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I really can’t say enough about working with solid b tier devs. Good enough to get the job done but normal enough to actually hold a conversation at lunch

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

no offense intended to yosgooglers but y'all work with some, uh, unique individuals

oh, we know

"hey could you change the date on this so it's correct?"

"[a five page argument about how it was correct when they started drafting the change and don't want to change it now]"

"ok, but is there a reason why it shouldn't be updated to be correct? just change the numbers on this line please"

"[reiterates above points, complains at length about how these restrictions are 'un-googly']"

at this point i start weeping blood

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

oh, we know

"hey could you change the date on this so it's correct?"

"[a five page argument about how it was correct when they started drafting the change and don't want to change it now]"

"ok, but is there a reason why it shouldn't be updated to be correct? just change the numbers on this line please"

"[reiterates above points, complains at length about how these restrictions are 'un-googly']"

at this point i start weeping blood

let me guess they freak out if you go and edit the date yourself?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

let me guess they freak out if you go and edit the date yourself?

well, they'd probably be fine with that, but this is in the context of (basically) a pull request. so while I could make and land the same change with the altered date, I can't change it to be correct in their specific change due to how the ACLing on these things works

but tbh fixing it for them just incentivizes them to dig in their heels next time so it's not a good strategy when you're working a process that needs to service 50k devs or whatever

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

ive been at my current job going on 9 years now and Im feeling like it might be time to move on but it seems like a terrible time to do so

eh, the best time to look for a job is while you have one

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

nudgenudgetilt posted:

I knew a guy like that. Boasted that he knew 20 programming languages.

His code was pretty bad.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i've never gotten a raise in my life that matched the cost of living increase in Austin, so staying at the same company is essentially agreeing to a demotion every year until you get sick of it

if you're also reducing your hours worked and effort, it can be a good idea to stay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

rotor posted:

“ive never shipped a bug to prod” means you dont ship or you dont test

Like other people said, I have absolutely shipped bugs to our staging branch (that got caught in testing/QA). I may have shipped bugs to real live production but I don't necessarily get to find out about that.