Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

my evernote only has years of grocery lists in it tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

never know when you might need a years old grocery list

???

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

who are these chumps out here writing a whole new grocery list every time

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

well-read undead posted:

who are these chumps out here writing a whole new grocery list every time

bman

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

raspberries pi.

pis raspberry

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
raspberry pie

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wayne Knight posted:

I just got a $61 check in the mail from some yahoo class action.

same. i forget how long ago that was when i found out i'd be getting a check in the mail. maybe a decade ago?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FMguru posted:

migrated all my to-do lists and shopping lists over to onenote last month and cancelled evernote

:sigh:

a perfectly excellent personal note manager destroyed by trying to turn it into an enterprise collaboration platform or some poo poo, because number must always, always go up

their big building right by the 101 in redwood city has been empty since last year

once dropbox started adding enterprise collaboration garbage i knew their days were numbered. they haven't collapsed yet, but i know it's going to happen eventually

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I used to use Evernote to scan all my paper stuff and index it, until getting my data out of there a few years ago when it was clear they were going down the tubes

have yet to find a good replacement for “I have a bunch of pdfs I want searchable and tagged,” some nerds tell me to use paperless-ng but kind of the point of paying for Evernote is I had something with higher availability than an old computer in my basement

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://www.thenation.com/article/culture/metaverse-zuckerberg-pr-hype/

quote:

The sheer scale of the hype inflation came to light in May. In the same article, Insider revealed that Decentraland, arguably the largest and most relevant Metaverse platform, had only 38 active daily users. The Guardian reported that one of the features designed to reward users in Meta’s flagship product Horizon Worlds produced no more than $470 in revenue globally. Thirty-eight active users. Four hundred and seventy dollars. You’re not reading those numbers wrong. To say that the Metaverse is dead is an understatement. It was never alive.

Lol

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I still use Evernote for everything. I'm heartbroken, but should have seen this coming. I'd told myself I'd get out when they got acquired, but somehow missed that announcement.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i challenge the idea that the loving bitcoin one was the "largest and most relevant" but still, lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boy posted:

i challenge the idea that the loving bitcoin one was the "largest and most relevant" but still, lol

tallest midget etc

also I would believe it outstripped horizon worlds by objective metrics like DAUs, even if the numbers we are talking about are extremely small. there are probably more crypto true believers than facebook superfans

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

crypto definitely bigger than metaverse; lmk when I can buy drugs with the metaverse or run ponzis with the metaverse

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah the hope of "I bought real estate early in what will be vr times square" is at least a reason to try to make it happen, "meetings but no legs" is not

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I guess the product had no legs either :dadjoke:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

:dadjoke:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

once dropbox started adding enterprise collaboration garbage i knew their days were numbered. they haven't collapsed yet, but i know it's going to happen eventually

yeah, and migrating out is gonna be a massive pain in the rear end because my mac doesn't have the space for my entire dropbox account, and my NAS runs linux poo poo and dropbox never works right for it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

didn't most of those crypto metaverse projects incorporate ways to earn the bullshit token in game? I remember that people would hire folks in places like the Philippines to play the game in exchange for a cut of the tokens (which were sold to others who needed them to buy their own "property").

that would hugely boost DAU, despite the fact that the users would immediately leave when the money faucet turned off.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Shifty Pony posted:

didn't most of those crypto metaverse projects incorporate ways to earn the bullshit token in game? I remember that people would hire folks in places like the Philippines to play the game in exchange for a cut of the tokens (which were sold to others who needed them to buy their own "property").

that would hugely boost DAU, despite the fact that the users would immediately leave when the money faucet turned off.

there was only one of those of any note, and it was a pokemon clone not a metaverse. then they lost all the money

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
raspsberry

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

haveblue posted:

one of the core problems with the whole fad was that no one was ever able to satisfactorily answer this

the most sensible answer seems to be that it was supposed to be like "the web", a sort of ad hoc platform in which users would connect to content sources through standardized clients and protocols, except for virtual environments instead of 2D layouts. notably this conception does not explain who owns and operates the context within which the users navigate between hosted spaces, even while assuming that such a thing would exist (because it did in the sci-fi that inspired it)

a lot of the participating companies, like meta, thought it would be a platform within which they exclusively would build that context, then invite users and hosts inside and take a cut of whatever happened there. fortunately not that many people want to live or operate in a world in which one particular rent seeker is written into the fundamental fabric of reality. certainly not for anything beyond entertainment or fulfilling fetishes

maybe it was a general buzzword for the family of technologies surrounding internet-connected virtual reality? but we already had virtual reality and it had largely blown its bubble moment out and settled into a small niche for hardcore gamers who would never use it for commerce or monetizable socializing

also the tweet summary is wrong, meta had the $470 but decentraland had the 38 users

I remember William Gibson trying to describe what he meant when he coined the term "cyberspace". To paraphrase: "It's the place that you and another person are both at together when the two of you are talking on the phone."

We ended up with a whole generation of sci-fi that was built around imagining this metaphorical thing as though it could be real, and a whole generation of tech companies attempting to manifest that sci-fi into an actual thing (that they just happen to run/own). Ultimately, though, this kind of thing can only really exist as metaphor.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:xd:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

LanceHunter posted:

I remember William Gibson trying to describe what he meant when he coined the term "cyberspace". To paraphrase: "It's the place that you and another person are both at together when the two of you are talking on the phone."

We ended up with a whole generation of sci-fi that was built around imagining this metaphorical thing as though it could be real, and a whole generation of tech companies attempting to manifest that sci-fi into an actual thing (that they just happen to run/own). Ultimately, though, this kind of thing can only really exist as metaphor.

It's the vent server you're on while playing counterstrike

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sounds like cyberspace is the friends we made along the way

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

love 2 cyber with my friends, is what i'm saying

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i guess the hit william gibson novel "don't create the cyberspace" doesn't quite have the same ring to it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shame Boy posted:

who amongst us

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

leper khan posted:

It's the vent server you're on while playing counterstrike

It really is too. I know VR won't catch on like a Gibson novel because it didn't back when VRML was a fresh novelty. We ended up with Linden Labs and that's all we'll ever end up with. Games, fetishes, virtual tours through things. VR will probably find it's way into some creative workspaces, making 3d models for games or for actual objects that might get created. But loving nobody wants to have a meeting, nobody wants to code, no.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

had a coworker who thought "pound town" was where you went to pound beers. Had to be quietly told why the acceptance rates on "taking the team to pound town" were nonexistant.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tech bubble v5.9: taking the team to pound town

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Eeyo posted:

i heard giving your money away helps

they're rich because they're dead inside, not the other way around. they get rich because maximizing objective-ish metrics is the only way they know how to relate to the world.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
you can be dead inside and not be rich, but you can't be rich and not be dead inside :hmmyes:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

tech bubble v5.9: taking the team to pound town

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Zamujasa posted:

you can be dead inside and not be rich, but you can't be rich and not be dead inside :hmmyes:

i’m rich inside and dead

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

raminasi posted:

they're rich because they're dead inside, not the other way around. they get rich because maximizing objective-ish metrics is the only way they know how to relate to the world.

nah this guy got rich by inheriting a bunch of money, he was not actually good at making money or maximizing metrics or stuff like that

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Sapozhnik posted:

i guess the hit william gibson novel "don't create the cyberspace" doesn't quite have the same ring to it

I'm trying to think of any formative media about cyberspace/metaverse where it isn't viewed as a cautionary tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you'd think case having to put in a catheder to do the straylight run would have been a good warning, or maybe when maelcum tries the trodes on and goes "ugh, babylon"