Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

i played a few games in 256 color that seemed pretty at the time, i think dr brain 2 and the weird xgames game i had were both 256 colors

i think you could get pretty far with 256 colors and CRT hardware blending back in the day

weren’t all the big classic 2d/2.5d games in 256 colour

like monkey island, space quest, wolfenstein, commander keen et al

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

git apologist posted:

weren’t all the big classic 2d/2.5d games in 256 colour

like monkey island, space quest, wolfenstein, commander keen et al

most of them used even fewer. monkey island and space quest were both EGA (16 color), pretty sure the Keen games until 4 were as well. Wolfenstein was definitely VGA.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
wolf3d was originally supposed to support ega https://tcrf.net/Development:Wolfenstein_3D_(DOS)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Volmarias posted:

Webcomics. So many webcomics

this webring is hentai free!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Voodoo Cafe posted:

most of them used even fewer. monkey island and space quest were both EGA (16 color), pretty sure the Keen games until 4 were as well. Wolfenstein was definitely VGA.

monkey island on amiga was not “ee gee aye”

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

keen 4 is 16-colour on its highest setting and looks amazing given the restriction. pretty much tricks my brain into thinking the palette is larger than it really is, don't ask me how. (probably judicious use of dithering combined with decent quality art direction)

the adventures of square hit the aesthetic really well, and kind of does the opposite thing where it tricks my brain into thinking it's ega when really it uses a wider palette but just leans heavily on the ega 16. is there anything else out there that shared this vibe?

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

monkey island definitely had vga graphics

glorious, beautiful vga graphics

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

well-read undead posted:

it eventually did, but it was an EGA game first.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

hmm it seems they were released a mere 2 months apart. i didn’t know that!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

I never knew

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

this image is horrifying

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

git apologist posted:

this image is horrifying

attack of the hot dog people

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
a lot of those games came out ega first and got vga reproductions

a favourite of mine was quest for glory iv which was released in vga but came out in both classic and "multimedia" editions, the latter of which was distinguished mostly just by being on cd-rom and having john rhys-davies narrating everything

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

256 colours on VGA can also look pretty bad because the RGB values are only 64 levels each, so dithering stands out noticeably unless you pick the palette very carefully

it wasn't until SVGA that you got 256 levels and a full 16M palette

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Catacomb Abyss did 3D on EGA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvchTRFFYhU

Very atmospheric visuals, and of course, PC Speaker sound fx

Of course, there was earlier Catacomb 3-D and even earlier, Hovertank, but they had kinda dire art direction in comparison.

I love how outright weird the later Catacomb episodes were looking. Look at that motley crew

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

good showing at the yospos meetup

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

well-read undead posted:

MrQueasy posted:

From man to hot dog, from woman to hot dog mom.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mediaphage posted:

a lot of those games came out ega first and got vga reproductions

monkey island had a 4 color cga mode (i think the command line option was -c), although i don't know if it had actual cga card support, or if it needed an ega card and just supported the 4 color compatibility mode for reasons

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 2, 2023

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i'd love to know the reasoning behind the color choices for the two incredibly ugly cga graphics palettes. those colors almost feel like a "we tried to make them as ugly as possible, as a joke"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pretty sure i played it on my tandy 1000 hx, so it must have supported tga/cga directly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The_Franz posted:

i'd love to know the reasoning behind the color choices for the two incredibly ugly cga graphics palettes. those colors almost feel like a "we tried to make them as ugly as possible, as a joke"

from what i understand its just that monitor tech sucked, IBM was cheap and didn't want to spend too much money on bideo shames poo poo. so they were stuck with a couple high contrast small palettes

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The_Franz posted:

CGA cards only had 16K VRAM, which isn't enough to store red green and blue for every pixel. so they used it to store 1 bit each for the red and green planes and generated the blue plane automatically from the other two using logic gates. there are actually three palettes, but the third was only partially documented by IBM

black / magenta / cyan / white: blue is the logical OR of red + green
black / red / green / yellow: blue is forced to 0
black / red / cyan / white: blue is copied from green

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 2, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Neat!

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

to five year old me it was only natural that everything was cyan and magenta

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
It's even more than that, too, depending on if you're using the digital mode or over composite

i know the 8 bit guy sucks and is a chud but suffer thru him for a minute till you get to the part about how CRTs and composite handle CGA completely differently

(timestamped - watch for like 2 and a half minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc&t=262s

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

git apologist posted:

this image is horrifying
The thumbnail on my phone made them look like They Live aliens.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

well-read undead posted:

to five year old me it was only natural that everything was cyan and magenta

it's also worth noting that while EGA/VGA is "backwards compatible" with CGA, one thing that's missing is palette swapping. If CGA software calls the BIOS routines to change palette then EGA/VGA will intercept the call and select the appropriate CGA palette. But most CGA software didn't use the BIOS, it wrote directly to hardware registers which don't exist on EGA/VGA, so those cards end up using the default magenta/cyan/white palette even though the software thinks it has changed to one of the others.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

space quest III looked great to me, we played it on an IBM PS1 with I think EGA or maybe VGA graphics

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you're talking about games from an era that had multiple platforms that games were routinely ported to, you can reasonably expect a game to have at least half of CGA, EGA, VGA, and SVGA graphics

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Leperflesh posted:

space quest III looked great to me, we played it on an IBM PS1 with I think EGA or maybe VGA graphics

*buys orat-on-a-stick*

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pseudorandom name posted:

you're talking about games from an era that had multiple platforms that games were routinely ported to, you can reasonably expect a game to have at least half of CGA, EGA, VGA, and SVGA graphics

yes grandma this is the game I wanted but this is the atari st version and I have an amiga

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
gba launch screen

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

It's even more than that, too, depending on if you're using the digital mode or over composite

i know the 8 bit guy sucks and is a chud but suffer thru him for a minute till you get to the part about how CRTs and composite handle CGA completely differently

(timestamped - watch for like 2 and a half minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc&t=262s

thanks this was cool

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

all these monkey island references make the music play in my head and that's wonderful

also somehow that blocky rear end old game gave me the most 'i am on a carribean island on a warm night' vibes of any media ever

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

git apologist posted:

all these monkey island references make the music play in my head and that's wonderful

also somehow that blocky rear end old game gave me the most 'i am on a carribean island on a warm night' vibes of any media ever

when i hear the monkey island music in my head it’s still that janky pc speaker reggae from the beginning of the game, and i love it

agreed about vibes, truly one of the all time great games

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Pinball Fantasies could play the .mod sountrack through the PC speakers. cool game.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

monkey island 2 and indy 4 each came on 11 disks

so much swapping only to find out my copy of disk idk 8 was hosed ;_;

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Wvn-9BXVc

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

monkey island 2 and indy 4 each came on 11 disks

so much swapping only to find out my copy of disk idk 8 was hosed ;_;

you could just ask Lucasarts to replace the disk for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

mega