Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bluemillion posted:

Couldn't you add a fake iris to this to get custom bokeh?

they did and you can see the result someone or the end photos

video has gently caress sauce vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
blender 3.6 was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LiGWgKRgk

simulation nodes, baby

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nice!

4.0 is coming up soon too, and i hear theyre working on a loop node. the idea being you can put some other nodes in there and set a break condition and number of iterations and it will loop for you.

i hope to no longer need to do this crap

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

oh cool, simulation nodes can be baked. he'll yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fog glow node is now available in real time compositor in the viewport

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imo fog glow is an essential component in making things look real or to put it another way it’s a subtle effect that when it’s missing prompts your brain to think “this is total bullshit”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am installing unreal engine 5.2 because I am kinda bored and want to remake my radiation simulator

once a long time ago i added a function to the camera so it’s location wasn’t locked at a fixed distance to the player but had a bit of lag, smoothed out the motion a bit.

I did this by basically taking a rolling average of last x amount of locations and yeah it worked but it was a lot of calculations and for the simple function it provided

later one I discovered a node that takes three values - target vector, current vector, and delta time (time since last frame) and also a fourth value for how loose or tight or whatever and it did it all for me. store the result as the current frame and feed in back in next frame.

idk why anyone would care but I find it such a nice function and there are float versions of the same
tool. I abuse the heck out of it. in my radiation simulator the values of energy each block might have might jump up in huge chunks and functions like this allow me to have smooth on screen results with sweet gently caress all work

what my radiation simulator does is have a bunch of blocks and each frame each block will do a line trace in a random direction and also lose a % of its energy and if that trace hits another block then the other block gets that energy.

although i’m typing it out it’s kinda boring. I need a better idea

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Figured out how distribute different primitives evenly on a point cloud without using a collection.
I select every third point using the index and the wrap function, and then offset it by 1 for the other primitives.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im sorry u had to find out this way...

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

im sorry u had to find out this way...

:stare:

Well the last three hours were a learning experience any way ya slice it.
And besides, I still ended up with a working solution. :colbert:

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 28, 2023

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

fart simpson posted:

4.0 is coming up soon too, and i hear theyre working on a loop node. the idea being you can put some other nodes in there and set a break condition and number of iterations and it will loop for you.

https://twitter.com/JacquesLucke/status/1672201364821233666

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nice! now thats more like it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

gfycat is shutting down, save anything you have there. this is going to destroy the early pages of this thread, and the previous blender thread :(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

gfycat is shutting down, save anything you have there. this is going to destroy the early pages of this thread, and the previous blender thread :(

owned lol.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
everyone thought it was related to gifs, but it turns out "gfy" meant something completely different

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
time for someone to get frustrated with the current image hosts and make their own, just like 20 years ago with imageshack

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jabor posted:

everyone thought it was related to gifs, but it turns out "gfy" meant something completely different

that’s the most disturbing revelation since I learned what cpcolin actually stands for

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

lame I have so much stuff on there

think I even paid for premium

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 3, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would be happy to pay for postimages at their cheapest rate but not prepared to pay two years in advance to do so and their actual monthly rate is too high

is this the future of the internet where individuals have to pay for things and it’s not just vc money 😭

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
There appear to be multiple parts of this curve circle with the same index? And this only happens at resolution 4 and 5? Is this a bug or some quirk I'm not aware of?

This just kinda popped outta the grass and punched me in the dick. Why can't I have nice things?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

There appear to be multiple parts of this curve circle with the same index? And this only happens at resolution 4 and 5? Is this a bug or some quirk I'm not aware of?

This just kinda popped outta the grass and punched me in the dick. Why can't I have nice things?

u gotta post the spreadsheet. just check if they share a index there

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

u gotta post the spreadsheet. just check if they share a index there

Doesn't seem to be any duplication in there?

What I notice is there's a zero in there, and my face selection integer starts at 1. I think it's got something to do with the fact that I'm using the index of points to select faces.

I'm bad at this, Fartman. :negative:

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 4, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

idk i cannot reproduce whatever issue your having. i tried recreating based on what u showed on screeenshot but its workin for me

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Managed to fit the entire mess into one screen:

I was taking another swing at my "Space Junkyard" entry from last nodevember. I'm trying to distribute points on one side of each instance, then dupilcate it on the other to make it symmetrical. Then I'll figure out how to decide which faces get turrets, engines, etc. Working with a mesh is a PITA, there's probably some way to do this with curves, I know. About ready to just start over with a new approach.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 4, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i dont understand what the problem is. i put everything in like u, whats wrong w/ this?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Proof of life post! I'm on holiday for a week and since I'm profoundly paranoid and don't like the idea of dying without my video being somewhere I uploaded the (almost) full thing to YouTube. It's missing some particle effects and I still want to go over the environment a little but I've been slowly locking things in so I can no longer fidget with them. Along with a full whack of particle effects, the driver and monster now have wound decals, I changed the effects of a bunch of fire stuff and changed a bunch of camera angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA1QCa088gY

Sound design, music and a small intro are pretty much all I want to do. I'm ready to move onto new, smaller projects now and i can do everything in a quarter of the time and far less messily

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

Proof of life post! I'm on holiday for a week and since I'm profoundly paranoid and don't like the idea of dying without my video being somewhere I uploaded the (almost) full thing to YouTube. It's missing some particle effects and I still want to go over the environment a little but I've been slowly locking things in so I can no longer fidget with them. Along with a full whack of particle effects, the driver and monster now have wound decals, I changed the effects of a bunch of fire stuff and changed a bunch of camera angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA1QCa088gY

Sound design, music and a small intro are pretty much all I want to do. I'm ready to move onto new, smaller projects now and i can do everything in a quarter of the time and far less messily

Your camera work is VASTLY improved, and I'm able to follow the action much better. Your animations are much more fluid than when you started. Still, I have a couple critiques.
-At the five minute mark, he has way too much opportunity to finish the thing with the shovel. Maybe make the creature more lively and give his step more forwards momentum to make it look more like he's still running.
-That stab through the chest is fatal for sure. Unless that's your intention, you might wanna tone that strike back a bit.

Again, those are critiques from someone who's never even attempted anything this ambitious.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Managed to reproduce this with a much smaller tree:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i think the index in your case refers to the index of the curve circle. i added a instance on points to your nodes:

and in any case, you're selecting in the point domain, but material is set in the face domain, that probably causes some issues

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Oh, I don't actually need to do this poo poo because I can just make a nice ship generator and copy paste it like 20 times and plug that into the geometry to instance node.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Managed to reproduce this with a much smaller tree:

yeah im still not seeing what the problem is. what do you expect to happen?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

yeah im still not seeing what the problem is. what do you expect to happen?

I was trying to get only one face selected with an index value from the circle. Anyhow, I'm going back to a mesh extrusion approach and I've already made some progress:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well your taking basically two lines and making a 2d surface from which to select on right? you need 2 coordinates to select a single face, not just 1. and you want to evaluate it on the face domain if your working in faces. something like this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you were basically trying to crop out a box in UV space with only the U and without the V. if that makes sense

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

speaking of, that method i just posted, change it from "index" and "integer" and "face" to "spline parameter: length" (and/or factor) and "float" and "face corner" and baby, youve got a uv map going in curve workflow. pack that up in a named vector attribute and load it up and use it as your uv map in the shader editor. you just uv unwrapped your generated geometry

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

well your taking basically two lines and making a 2d surface from which to select on right? you need 2 coordinates to select a single face, not just 1. and you want to evaluate it on the face domain if your working in faces. something like this

I need to go through all the nodes in the manual some time. Evaluate on domain is a new one for me.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

speaking of, that method i just posted, change it from "index" and "integer" and "face" to "spline parameter: length" (and/or factor) and "float" and "face corner" and baby, youve got a uv map going in curve workflow. pack that up in a named vector attribute and load it up and use it as your uv map in the shader editor. you just uv unwrapped your generated geometry

anyway this right here is one of the reasons i got so hyped up on curve workflow during nodevember this past year

caveat is it doesn’t handle end caps very well, if you need those to be handled properly you need to do a bit of extra work

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

anyway this right here is one of the reasons i got so hyped up on curve workflow during nodevember this past year

caveat is it doesn’t handle end caps very well, if you need those to be handled properly you need to do a bit of extra work

this is what im tolkien about. you put the stuff in the frame into a node group and mark it as an asset. your inputs to the node group are "geometry" and "resolution". your welcome.

the reason you use spiral followed by a merge by distance is because if you use a curve circle then it screws up a bit around the seam. idk why but this spiral thing followed by merge fixes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Bluemillion posted:

I was trying to get only one face selected with an index value from the circle.

well in that case my guess is that you need to select 2 points on the circle and then if you literally want just a single face selected, i guess you need to select some range along the curve, so spline parameter, factor between N and M???