Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are 2-25 ways a line of code can go wrong. most touchers write 5-100 lines a day. the possible bug states multiply. you have written bugs to prod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

not to dogpile but thats a large amount of hubris to be like “my buggy code has never hit prod” it most certainly has

bugs include unknown unknowns and states you likely didnt think of or test/fuzz/prop for or that qa missed

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Known knowns - I pushed this buggy poo poo out on purpose

Known unknowns - I’m sure I probably wrote some bugs but lol

Unknown unknowns - what even is a bug when u think about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBw0c-cmOfc

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Unknown knowns - "Who wrote this poo poo?"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah like i hate what popularized unknown unknowns as a concept (rumsfeld, in his speech, and taleb, in his books (taleb is kinda a chud)) but that error type is very consequential and what fucks things up bigtime usually

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

agree, having just found a gnarly bug in prod that dates back to the first Obama term

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are 2-25 ways a line of code can go wrong. most touchers write 5-100 lines a day. the possible bug states multiply. you have written bugs to prod.

Probably. Not denying that. But I can't prove it because I don't find out about it which makes answering the 'tell me about a time' question a bit hard to answer. I'd probably talk about staging instead.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm sure i've written a ton of bugs that were like "the code didn't handle this unexpected condition properly so the ui looked slightly weird for a single frame before it crashed due to some other code also not handling that condition properly"

i don't think anyone really cares about that though, and someone asking for times you've shipped bugs is gonna be way more interested in near-miss showstopper bugs that almost but didn't actually get all the way to prod

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

CPColin posted:

Unknown knowns - "Who wrote this poo poo?"

Spoiler alert: it was me

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jabor posted:

i'm sure i've written a ton of bugs that were like "the code didn't handle this unexpected condition properly so the ui looked slightly weird for a single frame before it crashed due to some other code also not handling that condition properly"

i don't think anyone really cares about that though, and someone asking for times you've shipped bugs is gonna be way more interested in near-miss showstopper bugs that almost but didn't actually get all the way to prod

fun fact: it's largely a behavioral question. i don't care about the time you saved the day at the last second on a near miss. i wanna hear about a time you hosed up, owned it, fixed it, and made a process improvement to prevent that sort of fuckup in the future.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"we deployed the UI before the backend and it locked up, we scrambled to get it backed out, deployed the backend, and I started a review to make sure it didn't happen again" is a pretty reasonable answer, probably?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

silvergoose posted:

"we deployed the UI before the backend and it locked up, we scrambled to get it backed out, deployed the backend, and I started a review to make sure it didn't happen again" is a pretty reasonable answer, probably?

yeah -- a better answer might also mention the technical controls you added to the deployment process as a result of the review (i.e. ui will refuse to deploy if a compatible version of the backend hasn't already been deployed), or alternatively to technical controls on the deployment process, maybe you initiated an effort to ensure ui/backend are always forwards/backwards compatible by n versions

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nudgenudgetilt posted:

fun fact: it's largely a behavioral question. i don't care about the time you saved the day at the last second on a near miss. i wanna hear about a time you hosed up, owned it, fixed it, and made a process improvement to prevent that sort of fuckup in the future.

Putting something broken onto staging, which I have done, absolutely requires me to do all of this.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Putting something broken onto staging, which I have done, absolutely requires me to do all of this.

right on, i guess. too much hubris for my tastes, so i'll pass.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
most code is not written to aerospace or sshd standards so yeah if you go out of your way to gently caress with a given program in a bunch of rear end in a top hat ways then it'll break

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my favorite way to phrase the question is, 'what's the most expensive mistake you've made?'

if i can tell they're nervous i'll open with my record which was to the tune of roughly 8 figures

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yeah this

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 7, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

feedmegin posted:

Probably. Not denying that. But I can't prove it because I don't find out about it which makes answering the 'tell me about a time' question a bit hard to answer. I'd probably talk about staging instead.

so the right way to answer this in an interview to avoid the kind of reactions you're seeing here would be something like "It may sound weird but I never had a bug report from prod during my time at Companyname. I have had plenty from stage, and heres what i did: [...]"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

most code is not written to aerospace or sshd standards so yeah if you go out of your way to gently caress with a given program in a bunch of rear end in a top hat ways then it'll break

a test engineer walks into a bar:
  • orders a beer
  • orders 0 beers
  • orders 999999999 beers
  • orders -1 beers

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I can always reach for when I accidentally replaced "$username" with "CPColin" in one of the more common emails and a user started a thread named "Who the hell is CPColin?" and people started posting pictures from my MySpace until I replied "Oops!" and the OP promptly locked the thread. It was a win all around!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

most code is written just barely robust enough to perform correctly under ideal conditions

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

worse is better y'all

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

to be honest I don't know that I've ever shipped a bug to prod either, in an embedded environment

sometimes there were some issues e.g. my tty driver didn't properly handle message framing for some particular 3rd party device, but that was more due to a lack of knowledge about that particular device beforehand

the behaviours tend to be relatively simple and a lot of testing gets done in embedded usually, because it's hard and expensive to deal with customers who have broken consumer hardware

e: current company is even more stringent than usual due to the software going to tens of millions of customers, but there's something like 12-16 layers of testing before it hits everyone with about 6 months delay, including in the last layers the update first going out to a developer testing dogfooding group, company dogfooding group, customer trial groups (several across different countries, 10K testers at a time IIRC) and then staged global deployment

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 7, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you ship a bug and no one reports it, is it a bug?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

that's a feature

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

champagne posting posted:

:yossame:

getting a lot of "your resume is amazing and your skillset is to die for. We don't want to talk with you"

Use mouthwash

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

champagne posting posted:

:yossame:

getting a lot of "your resume is amazing and your skillset is to die for. We don't want to talk with you"

pro tip: that rejection letter is just one from a dropdown list of rejections, all of which fluff up the candidate. your resume was marginally worse than others, and/or the person reviewing your resume was in a slightly worse mood when looking at yours.

so. many. candidates.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The_Franz posted:

• orders a beer
  • orders 0 beers
  • orders 999999999 beers
  • orders -1 beers

Orders \n beers
Orders ; Drop all tables; — beers

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

pro tip: that rejection letter is just one from a dropdown list of rejections, all of which fluff up the candidate. your resume was marginally worse than others, and/or the person reviewing your resume was in a slightly worse mood when looking at yours.

it's this. they are not going to waste employee time telling you what the actual problem was. even if it were free, they wouldn't do that because it might make you mad or open up liability. and if you're mad, you might not apply next year when they've decided to mash the 'hire everyone' button or whatever

companies will not generally give you feedback. they might send you words, but these words only have meaning insofar as they are part of the ritual/hiring process. their literal meaning is irrelevant to their actual meaning.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

skooma512 posted:

Orders \n beers
Orders ; Drop all tables; — beers

orders beers

orders 🍺 beers

orders a cocktail

orders 65536 beers

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

if you genuinely believe you’ve never shipped a bug to prod, just lie about it. make up a time you did. saying you never have is just going to sound fishy as gently caress

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The_Franz posted:

• orders a beer
  • orders 0 beers
  • orders 999999999 beers
  • orders -1 beers

A customer walks in, asks where the bathroom is, and the whole building catches fire.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Tunicate posted:

A customer walks in, asks where the bathroom is, and the whole building catches fire.

solution: move colo out of north carolina

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

if you ship a bug and no one reports it, is it a bug?

When I crash tty
On your raspberry pi
That's a feature

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Osmosisch posted:

When I crash tty
On your raspberry pi
That's a feature

when my code
makes prod explode
thats a feature

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my favorite way to phrase the question is, 'what's the most expensive mistake you've made?'

Gonna use this as both an interviewer and interviewee from now on

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Not a Children posted:

Gonna use this as both an interviewer and interviewee from now on

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I am also on the market as I got got in a restructure mid-June. Signed onto stand-up and no one there.

Replied a few weeks after to a direct inquiry on LinkedIn, had intro interview, and now interview with VP of design next week. I’m so rusty but it will come back. This time around I have a gently caress ton of IC leadership under my belt and stars appear in recruiter eyes when they hear I also like to do UXR.

But no rush, my unemployment bennies are funded through week 23 of 2024 and I got 3 months severance, plus a year of emergency fund in cash. So I’m not nervous at all, but also feel like that was too easy while seeing other Sr. PD’s write paragraphs of whoa is me on LinkedIn? Another recruiter is like you, 6 month contract, plzzzzz. I had another my first week looking, but didn’t work out cause their design team is in Turkey?!?

also went viral on LI day I was laid off. that was funny.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Tunicate posted:

It’s fine, customers almost never do this. We can just scale out the number of bars we operate and if one catches on fire we’ll tear it down and build a new one. The customer won’t be able to use the bathroom but we’re here to sell beers not bathrooms

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

CarForumPoster posted:

when my code
makes prod explode
thats a feature

feature bugfix put it in a branch
merge it to main and put it on
to prod
to prod
to prod
to prod
to prod
to prod
to prod
to prod
servers catching fire
cya its friday gently caress you all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

to be honest I don't know that I've ever shipped a bug to prod either, in an embedded environment

Should have mentioned I'm also in embedded. 'Move fast and break things' is frowned upon when it can literally break things.