Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

:qq: clicking on pictures is too hard to save $17/month

my dignity is worth more than $17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

akadajet posted:

my dignity is worth more than $17

yeah well gamep rear end is probably not worth paying that much for but i'll take it in exchange for 2 minutes of bullshit per day. on most days the quizzes and poo poo get you over 1,000 points so it doesn't even take more than like a week and a half

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just buy things with the real money i make at my real job, instead of fake money from a fake job clicking on ads

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

:qq: clicking on pictures is too hard to save $17/month

you're a great poster, but you could not possibly have imagined that basically going "i stand up and shout mcdonalds at my tv all the time, takes like 2 seconds guys" would go without ridicule

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

out of morbius curiosity i went to the site beeftweeter is talking about and the current 1000 POINT SUPER BONUS offer is asking me to scan some receipts from stuff i've bought and send them in.

i don't know what the gently caress they want with that but nope. nope

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I think I'm firmly in the "microsoft is malware" camp at this point

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you're a great poster, but you could not possibly have imagined that basically going "i stand up and shout mcdonalds at my tv all the time, takes like 2 seconds guys" would go without ridicule

they're not ads, they're news headlines (although yeah, there are ads, you don't have to click on them, and yes, they are occasionally the same thing anyway, but that's an indictment of the news media, not microsoft). the quizzes usually also deal with current events or something stupid like "do you like metallica or ac/dc?"

if it were seriously intrusive i wouldn't do it but i think as it is right now it's a fine trade for some free stuff. nobody actually has to do them, which is why its not as ridiculous as yelling brand names to end being forced to watch their content

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

out of morbius curiosity i went to the site beeftweeter is talking about and the current 1000 POINT SUPER BONUS offer is asking me to scan some receipts from stuff i've bought and send them in.

i don't know what the gently caress they want with that but nope. nope

yeah i don't do any of that. you get enough points anyway

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

lmao

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

just need to do these two quizzes guys, put my phone number on the form at the end, and that cracked age of empires .exe is all mine baby

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

beefy come on

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

YOU TOO can make money on the internet from the comfort of YOUR HOME

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

it’s the quad, here it is

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

just need to do these two quizzes guys, put my phone number on the form at the end, and that cracked age of empires .exe is all mine baby

lol looks like someone has redeemed some bing points

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Beeftweeter posted:

lol looks like someone has redeemed some bing points

I am getting sweet polyphonic ringtones now, so I consider the whole thing a success

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I remember doing the points game thing when I was a broke college freshman, trying to get myself a free xbox 360

burning swine
May 26, 2004

ah yes, uservoice, where ideas go to die

Microsoft Thread: hoping your ideas will be reviewed one day

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the linked post from a microsoftie (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/office16-aiexe/ecab05bf-3910-4810-ba45-0c44a94071ee) is pretty good though, even if it doesn't include a way to turn it off that isn't "just delete it". microsoft answers is a land of contrasts

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

burning swine posted:

ah yes, uservoice, where ideas go to die

Microsoft Thread: hoping your ideas will be reviewed one day

Powerful "if only there was someone who loved you" energy off this chat message

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Hed posted:

it’s this. I noticed yesterday pasting images into a PowerPoint it not only was trying to suggest alt text but gave me a 👍👎 feedback mechanism. sorry these are all internal shitfart thinfs and we all don’t use screen readers I’m not feeding the machine.

also it took a 3D scatter plot and made the alt text “a face of a human” or some poo poo lol.

i put some maps in a word document for an assignment and it gave one of them the alt text of "abortion" and i had no idea it was doing that at all and i would have submitted it if i hadn't noticed it by chance while checking the layout in the final pdf

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
microsoft is the new adobe

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idg why they need to shovel this stuff into their actual successful products, like there isn't some untapped vein of large companies that aren't already paying for office licenses, what is it for from a business sense? I guess their stock is doing pretty well since march

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

idg why they need to shovel this stuff into their actual successful products, like there isn't some untapped vein of large companies that aren't already paying for office licenses, what is it for from a business sense? I guess their stock is doing pretty well since march

the businesses probably would demand it if they didn't do it. people are deeply stupid

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I don’t believe in the death penalty but whoever decided to add autocomplete and the little blue lines to the new versions of word really challenges my beliefs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I don’t believe in the death penalty but whoever decided to add autocomplete and the little blue lines to the new versions of word really challenges my beliefs

gotta love having to disable 2-3 settings in every piece of office software on any clean installs and half of the updates.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

qirex posted:

management needs their "features shipped" performance bonuses

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wild EEPROM posted:

microsoft is the new adobe

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its been a while since ive tried it, so this is probably nothing new to msot of you, but man vs code is so much better than sublime now

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

post hole digger posted:

its been a while since ive tried it, so this is probably nothing new to msot of you, but man vs code is so much better than sublime now

it’s a really incredible piece of software

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah it's really quite good. Sublime was nice at first but it hasn't been updated in how long now?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah it's really quite good. Sublime was nice at first but it hasn't been updated in how long now?

2021… and it costs $99

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

what channel is it on?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

channel 219 every day all day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

2021… and it costs $99

yeah that's a ripoff. vs code is where it's at.

also, if anyone hasn't tried the official microsoft Terminal app available from the store, check it out. i found it the other day and it's pretty dang great. it's tabbed and supports all the different interfaces so you can run a traditional cmd prompt, a powershell window, and a WSL terminal all simultaneously in different tabs. it also different color themes and even the fun gimmick where it renders text with scanlines and glow. i like it

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i simply use Terminal.app

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

got owned by the onedrive app on android earlier. it spawned a pop-up for upgrading to premium so i went to dismiss it which then spawned a dialog with two options: "go back" or "stay basic." entirely unnecessary, rude even!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

a new sku to learn the name of

Microsoft Entra expands into Security Service Edge and Azure AD becomes Microsoft Entra ID

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

nah SKUs are identical, only thing new to learn is the portal, aad.portal.azure.com redirects to entra.microsoft.com as of several weeks ago.

once again, literally nothing has changed other than the name, thus netting some product manager a promotion? idk

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

microsoft entra my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
more like extra.microsoft.com