Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'Larry Zbyszko calls out Dusty Rhodes' from our 1982 CWA portion of the proceedings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I fell down a rabbit hole watching random episodes of WCW Saturday Night from the early 90's on youtube Zbyszko was in the midst of a really awkward face run after getting kicked out of the Dangerous Alliance, I think.

He was going by Larry "the Cruncher" Zbyszko, I'm not sure why but that was extremely funny to me. "Watch out, he likes chips! Hide the vegetable trays, Larry's in town!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zombie Lemur posted:

I fell down a rabbit hole watching random episodes of WCW Saturday Night from the early 90's on youtube Zbyszko was in the midst of a really awkward face run after getting kicked out of the Dangerous Alliance, I think.

He was going by Larry "the Cruncher" Zbyszko, I'm not sure why but that was extremely funny to me. "Watch out, he likes chips! Hide the vegetable trays, Larry's in town!"

It was because he broke someone 's hand by slamming it in a car door

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It was because he broke someone 's hand by slamming it in a car door

Ah, that makes a little more sense. I thought it was a submission thing.

I still feel like "Cruncher" doesn't carry the same weight as something like "Crusher" or whatever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

I still feel like "Cruncher" doesn't carry the same weight as something like "Crusher" or whatever.

Yeah, Barry Windham was having legit wrist problems so Larry Z and Arn (as the Enforcers) did the attack thing and in the following promo Larry was all "I liked hearing your wrist crunch! So you can call me The Cruncher!" and it was kind of silly but did lead to one of my favorite tag team matches in history with the Enforcers versus Dustin Rhodes and surprise partner Ricky Steamboat - returning from that terrible '91 WWF run where he had to hold kerosene in his mouth and decided to leave because he didn't want to feed the Undertaker - at Clash 27 which you should absolutely watch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zombie Lemur posted:

Larry would never steal a legend's nickname like that.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Larry "the Breaker" Zbyszko.

Could've had a dancing gimmick and teamed with PN News as a face.

Like when Captain Mike Rotunda suddenly had a boat.

MassRafTer posted:

Larry would never steal a legend's nickname like that.

Well of course not, that'd be like betraying his mentor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

Like when Captain Mike Rotunda suddenly had a boat.

"He's the team captain, see-"
"Like on a boat!"
"Sure, like on a boat. Give this man a coat and a hat."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

back to back sub-30 second matches is art

sub-30 seconds combined. loving hell.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

‘The Cruncher’ sounds like one of those Chris Jericho gimmicks that got surprisingly popular.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

MassRafTer posted:

Konnan (w/ Sting) defeated Barry Darsow (2:00)

Somehow the most WCW thing ever written.

Fake edit, wait, I read further:

quote:

Jericho then came back out, a broken Pepe in hand,

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

To this day I have no idea what they were thinking with these skits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8fX3kPJamE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTiMUXDu1eA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krudzxbcwq0

and of course the gold standard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pretEZVIXv4

"AAAAH! It's not hot!"

The funniest thing here is that Hulk thought he could act.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Dungeon of doom ftw. I lol every time at 'IVE NEVER BEEN HERE BEFORE'

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

the sex ghost posted:

Dungeon of doom ftw. I lol every time at 'IVE NEVER BEEN HERE BEFORE'

THERE'S NO HULKAMANIACS HERE

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man I love the Dungeon of Doom segments. So much weird cheap energy for a stable that only existed to job to Hogan.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"AAAAH! It's not hot!"

I must confess, I have the urge to bellow this line whenever I put my hand under a cold tap.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

It plays in my head every time I check the shower temperature and it hasn’t warmed up yet.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wow you just managed to make it make sense

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
IIRC Brian Zane mentioned the mini movies were through Turner Home Video not WCW directly which would explain both their existence - corporate synergy - and why they’re not a tonal fit with the rest of WCW.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

God I love the Hogan one so much. Kevin Sullivan and a cackling Giant, "THERE ARE NO HULKAMANIACS HERE", the weird garden set. It's all so good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So is the character of Hulk Hogan like a Fantasy RPG God who needs worshipers to be strong and with no Hulkamaniacs he's powerless?

And that's why Hollywood Hogan was such a wimp.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I think not making Magnum TA a permanent announcer was a mistake.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

edogawa rando posted:

I must confess, I have the urge to bellow this line whenever I put my hand under a cold tap.

It's definitely one of the best all time lines and it's been living rent free in my head since the moment I heard it. Nothing about that whole god drat thing makes any sense, but that's the highlight. Was that in the original script? Did Hogan just completely botch the line read on what was supposed to be a mildly surprised "oh, it's not hot"? Or did The Hulkster ad-lib it because he's a stone cold pro actor?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 14, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's definitely one of the best all time lines and it's been living rent free in my head since the moment I heard it. Nothing about that whole god drat thing makes any sense, but that's the highlight. Was that in the original script? Did Hogan just completely botch the line read on what was supposed to be a mildly surprised "oh, it's not hot"? Or did The Hulkster ad-lib it because he's a stone cold pro actor?

I feel very certain everything in there Hogan either wanted or did it on purpose. You can't be mildly bemused when HULKAMANIA IS RUNNING WILD THROUGH YOUR VEINS, BROTHER. Everything must be exclaimed with maximum intensity, even relating the temperature of water.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When your company is owned by a media network, syngergizing with people who know how to make TV and movies makes a lot of sense. But apparently they didn't work with people who know how to make TV and movies. I can only assume the production of stuff like Cactus Jack, Homeless Amnesiac Sailor Man was either contracted out to who-knows or Turner sent the worst people from other departments to handle the WCW stuff.

NikkolasKing posted:

So is the character of Hulk Hogan like a Fantasy RPG God who needs worshipers to be strong and with no Hulkamaniacs he's powerless?
The implication is that Warrior is the god of an entire species who were all exterminated by Hulk Hogan, who is Xenu from the Scientology mythos. Warrior is empowered by the thetans in his veins.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 14, 2023

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I think I l--sorry, let me start over

I THINK I LIKE BEST HOW ABSOLUTELY EVERYBODY, HOGAN AND VILLAINS ALIKE, IS CONSTANTLY SHOUTING. RULE ONE OF THE DUNGEON OF DOOM IS: NO INDOOR VOICES, EVER, APPARENTLY

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"AAAAH! It's not hot!"

For some reason "PLAY THE GAME" from the white castle of fear skit lives in my head rent-free, probably just because of the pointing, armwaving, and what feels like a re-use of footage. (also what's the story on Cheatum anyway? Like, how did he wind up being cast as a henchman to Vader or what have you?). Also related to Dungeon of Doom, every time Kevin Sullivan gets mentioned in like a podcast I have the urge to bellow "SULLIVAN, MY SON"

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 14, 2023

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

THE RARE WHITE BENGAL TIGAH

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

NikkolasKing posted:

I always thought he was tricked into coming there, like some lich in a dark robe told him some fans are waiting just on the other side of that arcane portal over there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've tried and failed to find an IMDB page for the guy who played Cheatam. No idea who he is.

The idea of Kevin Sullivan playing anyone's son is very funny.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I've tried and failed to find an IMDB page for the guy who played Cheatam. No idea who he is.

The idea of Kevin Sullivan playing anyone's son is very funny.

Especially when King Curtis was only 12 years older than Kevin Sullivan

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Especially when King Curtis was only 12 years older than Kevin Sullivan

Curtis did have a good 'evil mastermind' voice in a bombastic way.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

He sees the steam, assumes this must mean the water is hot, and is perplexed by the fact it is NOT HOT. This is meant to indicate that this water is magical, the laws of physics in our world do not apply to the Dungeon of Doom.

Of course, why would he touch the water if he assumed it was steaming hot? This entire debacle is one of Terry Bollea's most flagrant abuses of his creative control clause.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"AAAAH! It's not hot!"

This is, by a wide margin, the most bizarre series of video clips I've ever seen on the internet.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"AAAAH! It's not hot!"

All of this rules so incredibly hard.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I can't find it but the dungeon of doom clip where Kevin Sullivan meets The Master is one of my favorites. Just a weird fever dream that includes Sullivan running through the woods in his trunks.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
pre hollywood hulk hogan fumbling around in wcw ftw

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Imagine if the NWO storyline went down the exact same way but with Darkside Hogan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-3yDeIdrw

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Zombie Lemur posted:

Imagine if the NWO storyline went down the exact same way but with Darkside Hogan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-3yDeIdrw

Sting is the Third Man and we get Hogan in the rafters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Seams posted:

Sting is the Third Man and we get Hogan in the rafters

Using a sword instead of a bat in an extremely unsatisfying way like Triple H's sledgehammer because you're obviously not going to decapitate someone.