Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Would anyone be interested in a mod that just allows slaves and non-free robots to automigrate like normal pops? I made one since it annoyed the gently caress out of me that such a good QoL feature is disabled for gameplay reasons.

Asking since I used the same mod to try and teach the AI about pop controls and still testing that, but I can break them apart and upload the automigrate to the workshop if there is any interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

PittTheElder posted:

Nope.

And yeah I was watching it last night, even if I bombard all the armies to death (and forbid surrender), I'd steal 1-2 pops in a year, even with 80k worth of fleet parked on top of a well populated planet.
Bombardment stance, maybe? Your fleets could be in Selective, they default to that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Noir89 posted:

Would anyone be interested in a mod that just allows slaves and non-free robots to automigrate like normal pops? I made one since it annoyed the gently caress out of me that such a good QoL feature is disabled for gameplay reasons.

Asking since I used the same mod to try and teach the AI about pop controls and still testing that, but I can break them apart and upload the automigrate to the workshop if there is any interest.

Isn't there a space station module that does that?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Isn't there a space station module that does that?

Yes, but I don't have stations over every planet. And the building is only for slaves, which makes playing machinists annoying.

Also locked behind tech, just like autoexplore for science ships was, another good QoL feature.

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 7, 2023

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Re: raiding stance

Just to be clear, a patch or two ago raiding stance was absolutely insane. Even a small fleet would abduct a pop every few days. You could depopulate an early game homeworld in weeks or a mid game homeworld in a couple of months. You could slip in a couple dozen corvettes and abduct half their population before their fleet could do anything about it if it wasn’t within a few jumps.

Prior to that, it was incredibly slow. A pop or two a month, tops. You couldn’t abduct enough to be useful unless you could park your fleet over their planet for years.

Now it’s somewhat faster than the old way, enough to be useful but not enough to cripple an enemy empire if their fleet is more than a few systems away. This will feel incredibly slow if you’re used to the way it was just a patch or two ago.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'd swear it wasn't that slow before. Then 3.8.0 made it absolutely broken in just the best way, but I've been a huge fan of Nihilistic Acquisition for a long time, and it was at least useful before. I find it's much slower in 3.8.4 than it was in pre-3.8, but maybe there's some weird mod interaction.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Noir89 posted:

Absolutely would be interested.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Noir89 posted:

If you made it so you could assimilate hive minds and machine consciousness into your empire without genocide as well I'd make a shrine to you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Noir89 posted:

Yes, but I don't have stations over every planet. And the building is only for slaves, which makes playing machinists annoying.
Transit Hubs allow robots/slaves to migrate while also boosting free citizen migration.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

King Doom posted:

If you made it so you could assimilate hive minds and machine consciousness into your empire without genocide as well I'd make a shrine to you.

I can take a look at it at the least :)

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
What mid game/ end game dates correlate well for slowed down research? I think I might have put those dates too far out because I am already at end game techs and just killed the Kahn.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
FWIW I don't think I've ever had the Khan spawn in a timely fashion, or even spawn at all, for a long stretch of patches.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

King Doom posted:

Bio ascended empires can assimilate hive pops (Bio ascended hives can do the reverse), and Synthetic ascended can assimilate machine empire pops. Not sure if cyborgs can do both/either, I haven't gone that route in a while.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah tried it again with mods off, had 500k worth of fleet power all on Raiding stance over a Fallen Empire capital with 200 pops on it, no captures even after grinding down the armies. Don't understand at all.

In other news, holy poo poo playing with the default UI is jarring af

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 8, 2023

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah tried it again with mods off, had 500k worth of fleet power all on Raiding stance over a Fallen Empire capital with 200 pops on it, no captures even after grinding down the armies. Don't understand at all.

In other news, holy poo poo playing with the default UI is jarring af

What class of ships and weaponry? No idea if that matters but it might.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

What mid game/ end game dates correlate well for slowed down research? I think I might have put those dates too far out because I am already at end game techs and just killed the Kahn.

Depends on how fast you snowball. In my experience (always doing a lot of research), on medium maps anything below 1,5x research means you start running into end game techs before the Khan shows up. On large maps, even 2,5x may not be enough before the free real estate everywhere has snowballed you passed end-game level when the Khan shows up. Not Oliver, though. I think that guy is retired.

On that point, we really need a function similar to that thing that makes difficulty settings slowly change during a game. Something like 4x research costs feels absolutely punishing in the early game, but eventually every well-sized space empire vomits forth so much research even this would not be enough before everyone has run out of non-repeatable techs before the 2nd century is over.

Something like "start at 1,5 research costs in early game" and slowly ramp it up to a set end point in a set year.

My own ideal for a large map game would be something like

1,5x tech costs in 2200
9x tech costs in 2400

Because it would be nice to actually get one of those big science super-buildings set up in space before you don't actually need any bonus research anymore

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Macichne Leainig posted:

I only had like 100 colonies in my last medium sized starburst galaxy where I only owned… a fifth? a quarter? of the whole galaxy. It certainly had its work cut out

Now I’m doing 0.5x habitable planets because holy gently caress

yeah .25x habitable planets with no guaranteed starters is the way to go
even tiny planets at least get considered when real estate is that scarce

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

King Doom posted:

Genetic engineering lets you not genocide any hiveminds, though frankly it's hard to call killing one consciousness genocide no matter how many bodies it happens to have. Also any hiveminds I'm not letting exist as sovereign individuals deserved it for trying to eat everyone.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think I need to up the crisis power in my next game. The scourge showed up, completely shocking me because almost every game ends up with unbidden because of jump drives, and have been a complete non-factor even to the AI, who actually did most of the stomping when I was hoping the scourge would whittle down my rival a bit.

So now we're in a galaxy-wide vassalization war because I'm Fan Egal/Spiritual and they are Fan Mat/Auth, and the scourge are just sitting in one corner screeching because no one cares when the two sides of this war are throwing around almost a million fleet power each and they have around 100k.

Oh, and I do have a minor energy crisis going on because I integrated a vassal and said vassal had a completely incompetent empire of spammed habitats. It wasn't even a small empire!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Wow, in 1600 hours of playing, the current game is the first one where I've seen the Ketlings appear. The region of the galaxy where they spawned, an area roughly the size of a regular empire, is still unclaimed in 2266. One neighbouring empire is blocked from entry by the Autonomus Repurposer, another is blocked by marauders, and the other two with access are both Fallen Empires.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 9, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

AG3 posted:

Wow, in 1600 hours of playing, the current game is the first one where I've seen the Ketlings appear. The region of the galaxy where they spawned, an area roughly the size of a regular empire, is still unclaimed in 2266. One neighbouring empire is blocked from entry by the Autonomus Repurposer, another is blocked by marauders, and the other two with access are both Fallen Empires.
I see them in most games. And lol that they localized scavenger bot.

My current game has them. Started with gaia-seeded, picked up 2 more Gaias (Zanaam and Wenkwort), then a relic, and had an ally with ring world origin get genocidal stomped so I grabbed their ring world (and then released as vassal). Rubricator got me another which got upgraded to ecu. So 5 planets, but they are all bonuses. Khan just spawned killed off a small section of the galay. They left behind a machine world, which I'll probably grab as a home for the synths as my main pops are cybernetic ascended.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 9, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

What class of ships and weaponry? No idea if that matters but it might.

All Battleship, mostly big guns, some medium and PD and hangars.

But I was also struggling in the early game with trying to raid with corvettes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

AG3 posted:

Tangential, but regarding being blocked my current game is a 600 star map and for most of the game there was a Fallen Empire squatting on the only southern connection between the east and west halves of the galaxy. The War in Heaven was strangled in the cradle because by 2350 I was sick of them being there and made it my goal to wipe them out and open up the southern passage.

My "I've never seen this" experience so far is Zroni. I vaguely recall seeing them once before the changes to precursor spawns where I used some debug command to see what planets had the zroni flag on them. Organically though? Nope.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

Genetic engineering lets you not genocide any hiveminds, though frankly it's hard to call killing one consciousness genocide no matter how many bodies it happens to have. Also any hiveminds I'm not letting exist as sovereign individuals deserved it for trying to eat everyone.

There's degrees of hive-mindedness in the flavor text, some have a lot of semi-autonomous drones living in extremely well-regulated eusocial societies, others are all direct extensions of some overmind.

How many distinct members does a society need before eliminating it becomes genocide?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

forty-two

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Oh, and I do have a minor energy crisis going on because I integrated a vassal and said vassal had a completely incompetent empire of spammed habitats. It wasn't even a small empire!
Custodians, please teach the AI how to manage their planets and also to stop spamming habitats, please and thank you

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'd love a mod that restricted habitats to only void dweller origin to help with the spam. I guess it wouldn't take long to create, I should just stop being lazy and do it.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Alternatively just one hab per system.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lithoid terravores going all in on habitats is extremely funny
i'm looking forward to trying another run as them once that changes to a situation rather than a decision

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

bobtheconqueror posted:

Alternatively just one hab per system.

1 hab per system (maybe only for non-Void Dweller?) would indeed be excellent.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
but i really like making 5 fortress habitats on my chokeholds with 5 fortresses and >10000 strength garrisons

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Not tried it but it sounds like this one does that:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2981087384

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

my hot take is that habs should be be limited far more than even that. even on a medium galaxy you'll quickly have 20+ systems and if you go into habs that's 20 extra colonies
meanwhile the game is built around there being like 1 habitable planet per 5-10 systems

let void dweller empires be limited to 1 per system, but prevent them from landing on planets at all to balance it out i guess? idk how you'd even do that but as a hab/void dweller enjoyer, habs are a goddamn scourge

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rockstar Massacre posted:

but i really like making 5 fortress habitats on my chokeholds with 5 fortresses and >10000 strength garrisons

This but in Terminal Egress. :getout:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It wouldn't be quite so bad if it was possible to scrap the habitats without having to retrofit a colossus. Still bad, just slightly less so.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Give us an option to disable them entirely, like Xeno-compatibility.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Habitats ought to be costly as well. A hab would realistically require a lot more power and maintenance than a planet-side settlement, what with the artificial gravity, greater need for lighting, the fact that everything the hab needs that can't be made there needs to be freighted in etc. etc. etc. This could also be accompanied by some kind of soft-cap, and perhaps an immigration debuff (even a really nice orbital habitat probably isn't many people's idea of great place to live. Maybe a small happiness debuff?).

In any case, making habs more rare and costly would allow them to make them more powerful: otherwise uninhabitable planets should sometimes have special modifiers that make placing a hab over them especially enticing, and then, of course, there's the allure of dumping a doom fortress in Terminal Egress, for example. The relevant ascension perk would, of course, ease those penalties.

Void Dwellers would have further reduced penalties to habs, but still be subject to limits on how many habs they could place per system. And the Citadel of the Knights of the Toxic God would also be something of a special case, in terms of maintenance. That start's economy is bad enough already!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Make habs count towards starbases and offset that with the void dweller origin not having that penalty or something.

That way it's a tradeoff between deciding to expand or build up a habitat. You can probably just RP it as like, one starbase slot is just the overall upkeep to maintain a spaceworthy base. Ostensibly similar living conditions might exist on starports or higher or whatnot

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Habitat chat: habitation modules on starbases, 1 district each with the upgrades making it 2/3 per module.

My life seeded run just finished. Was on my way to wipe out a fallen when I got the victory screen. No mods 750k fleet power, 3 different megastructures (strat, mega shipyard, science), deep deep deep into repeatable, not quite finished with 7th unity thing (switch to ambitions, oh well), 135k banked alloys and 1k/mo income... 90k council power, not quite enough to be the Senate but close. Had 4-5 subjects and could dominate any fight. All from only 6 planets iirc (3 Gaia, 1 relic, 1 ecu, 1 ring). Could have had another 25 Gaia but pristine jewel was in a friendly empire's territory and I didn't care enough.

There's no way to colossus a planet including getting the pops if you aren't DA, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ilkhan posted:

There's no way to colossus a planet including getting the pops if you aren't DA, right?

There's the god beam that Spiritualists get that makes all pops spiritualist. Zap 'em, then bombard them into giving up?

Honestly this gives me an idea for a roleplay run:

Origin: Knights of the Toxic God
Ethics: Fanatic Spiritualist plus whatever
Civics: Crusader Spirit plus whatever
Ascension Perk: Colossus Project

Goal: Convert the galaxy into worshipping your garbage god.