Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
One wierd trick for reducing tongue weight

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

fridge corn posted:

Everybody in AI is a computer toucher who drives a Toyota camry

don't doxx me

i had a 98 camry up until last december when the transmission died :(

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
wow that trailer is in drift mode at all times

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That would actually be rad as hell if the trailer wheels were on casters. Well except for the insane vibration you'd probably get at speed and also now you've made your car 38 feet long and not articulated in the middle. But I'd still watch it from a distance

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

are you supposed to get out and unhitch one side before all your turns?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Lol at thinking professional computer touchers like computers.

isn't that how it is for every profession though? Don't ever try to make money doing your hobbies, it just ruins the hobby.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sagebrush posted:

That would actually be rad as hell if the trailer wheels were on casters. Well except for the insane vibration you'd probably get at speed and also now you've made your car 38 feet long and not articulated in the middle. But I'd still watch it from a distance

Look at the past pic. It is on casters.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Computers are so important nowadays I would hate to think what it would feel like without 25 years of experience as IT professional. How do people survive?!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shifty Pony posted:

isn't that how it is for every profession though? Don't ever try to make money doing your hobbies, it just ruins the hobby.

It's a really broad topic though. I'm tech, I'm all cloud automation and implementation. There's not a hell of a lot of overlap between that and my personal tech. Work isn't going to burn me out on smart lights or phones or whatever.

Saukkis posted:

Computers are so important nowadays I would hate to think what it would feel like without 25 years of experience as IT professional. How do people survive?!

I would say it's less of an issue now than it was 15 years ago. Now most people don't really need much beyond a smartphone. Hell I go weeks without turning on my personal laptop and the only computer I use on a regular basis outside of work is to play games. That's not a burnout thing, it's just because it isn't needed.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Saukkis posted:

I buy a new phone every 5 or 6 years maybe. Don't even own a pc

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

It's a really broad topic though. I'm tech, I'm all cloud automation and implementation. There's not a hell of a lot of overlap between that and my personal tech. Work isn't going to burn me out on smart lights or phones or whatever.
Yeah I've never liked this meme because it's not the smart tech itself that's bad, it's the lovely marketing-driven implementations that one needs to avoid.

Knowledgable tech people tend to avoid *unnecessary* cloud dependence but at least most of the ones I know still usually have a bunch of locally operated smarthome tech. Many were building such things long before "cloud computing" and "smartphones" were even a thing with X10 and the like. We don't avoid the tech, we just make sure we actually control it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I became a professional photographer, taking pictures of race cars even, and at the end it was just like any other job with all the bullshit involved. I didn't even pick up a camera for years after that and just recently started taking pictures for fun again.

fridge corn posted:

I buy a new phone every 5 or 6 years maybe. Don't even own a pc

Only reason I really have a PC is cuz all my music is on it, I have a Klipsch sub and speakers hooked up to it so it's basically my setup for blasting music while I'm cleaning the house

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

I've never owned a camry and haven't owned a Toyota since about 2009. Have not owned a "car" since 2020.

I'm a professional poo poo fucker upper.
My dd laptop is 11 years old and is heavily modified with homebrew parts and poorly written code because I won't let some things die.
Phones are content consuming devices, computers are for creating content.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

Never, although I recommend Toyota/Honda to people who ask me for car advice.

Still VW/Audi family.
I run a gaming laptop for my main machine and have a massive homelab because I'm a nutcase who works in Infosec.

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah. We have smart devices like Nest for thermostats/cameras but no cameras inside the home and we keep our Amazon devices covered until we need them.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 10, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You Am I posted:

I've been doing a ton of Classic Mac stuff recently and out of that lot I'd say the SE is the most likely to work. They run tantalum capacitors, not surface mount caps, so you don't have the issue with the caps leaking over the logic board.

The others will suffer from battery bombs, leaking surface mount capacitors or both.

Here's a friend of mine's Classic Mac which had battery bombed:

Whereas this is the SE logic board that I pulled out that had not been touched probably since it was built in 1989:

After a clean up and a new PRAM battery it runs fine:

Neat. I'll be sure to check.
Oddly enough, I think the SE was the most recently running of the bunch.

randomidiot posted:

No. That's an oldschool Mac; I think sales of those ended sometime in the mid to late 90s. The G5 was the sleek as hell tower that weighs in around 40 lbs, and powered a LCD monitor over ADC (Apple Display Connector). I have a 17" Apple Studio Display to go with it, and it's maxed out on RAM + has a SSD instead of the original HDD (though the original HDD is still in there, disconnected, just in case the SSD shits itself). I believe it was the last desktop PowerPC Mac, though they continued to use the same case for the first Intel Macs.

Think I paid $25 for it with the monitor, slapped some generic RAM in, and threw an old SSD at it. Kinda scared to plug it in whenever I get around to digging it out, TBH - it's been probably 5 years since it was plugged in. Hopefully the power supply doesn't go Lucas.

I don't know if any of them were water cooled - this is the only Mac I've ever owned - mine is a low end one (for a G5) with a single CPU, with boring heatsinks and fans. IIRC it gets pissy if you try to boot it with the side panel off, they optimized the cooling to work with the panel on. Been long enough that I don't remember how it knows the side panel is off, but it knows.

It just runs the fans on high.
Intel-based Mac Pro looks mostly the same, BTW.

And yeah, non-standard power supplies.

Thread content:
Wife complained that the AC shut off and the temp gauge was heading north on her Outback (kudos for her looking at the temp gauge. That made me happy.)

https://i.imgur.com/RBCAchb.mp4
Huh.

Minimal damage to radiator, at least:

Came right off the hub:

Motor turned, but was clearly now an interference fit somewhere. I figure it got hot enough between the motor dragging and the heat from the rad and condenser the it literally melted off of the hub.
https://i.imgur.com/ytZ2SNQ.mp4

I got the motor apart and:
https://i.imgur.com/1vOQVWG.mp4

Hadn't seen that before.
Two magnets just decided to no longer be epoxied to the can.

Didn't seem to hurt the rotor. Displaced one or two segments, but not enough to damage windings, as far as I can tell. Not that I'm going to bother to try and fix it. Once, I might have, but now I have more money than time (and fucks.)

Bearings were fine. It was solely the epoxy failing, I think.

Replaced it temporarily with a universal fan I happened to have that fit:

Then an aftermarket OEM fit:

Just a bizarre failure.

Also I'm a computer toucher, but I drive a Crown Victoria - America's Camry.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Lol at thinking professional computer touchers like computers.

This goon gets it.

Shifty Pony posted:

This one, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell me you failed high school physics without telling me...

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Darchangel posted:

Tell me you failed high school physics without telling me...

Well that does solve much of the difficulty of backing a trailer.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Doxx: If it’s not a Camry, then you’re driving a Stratus

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Saukkis posted:

Well that does solve much of the difficulty of backing a trailer.

Well, one of them.
Turning while backing might be a problem. Or going forward, for that matter.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Well, one of them.
Turning while backing might be a problem. Or going forward, for that matter.

If the wheels are on casters like it looks like that particular aspect isn't a problem.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a post with one caster wheel at the front of the trailer, for moving it around when it's not hitched up. It does not look like the rear wheels are on casters, or at least I can't see any evidence of that from the three photos posted.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

fridge corn posted:

Not all of us, I drive a sensible Mazda SUV!

I Miss Snausages fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 11, 2023

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

There's a post with one caster wheel at the front of the trailer, for moving it around when it's not hitched up. It does not look like the rear wheels are on casters, or at least I can't see any evidence of that from the three photos posted.

The main wheels are on pivoting drag-style links. Look closer at the third pic - you can see a spring-loaded pivot sticking down just forward of the wheel (and the wheel itself is obviously not parallel to the frame of the trailer.)

Also the one at the front that everyone keeps talking about is properly referred to as a tongue jack.

(e: It's also still incredibly stupid because now *everything* behind the rear axle on the tow vehicle - including the entire trailer - is now a giant loving tail-whip)

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 11, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Darchangel posted:

Just a bizarre failure.

Suzuki SV650 generators really like to fail in exactly this manner.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Farmdizzle posted:

The main wheels are on pivoting drag-style links. Look closer at the third pic - you can see a spring-loaded pivot sticking down just forward of the wheel (and the wheel itself is obviously not parallel to the frame of the trailer.)

Also the one at the front that everyone keeps talking about is properly referred to as a tongue jack.

(e: It's also still incredibly stupid because now *everything* behind the rear axle on the tow vehicle - including the entire trailer - is now a giant loving tail-whip)

ohhh, OK I see it now. And I guess the hitch setup should keep the trailer from whipping back and forth, but yeah it's going to swing wide of the vehicle's outside rear on turns so the driver will need to make very wide turns to be sure not to smash the tail into stuff.

I really don't understand what motivated doing this, anyway.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

And I guess the hitch setup should keep the trailer from whipping back and forth

This is probably why he made it. Trying to solve the problem of trailer sway without at all understand trailers or towing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I don't give that many fucks, but why the gently caress is it so fuckin wide to tow what would appear to be one motorcycle?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

In retrospect, that's an excellent question. They obviously own a welder and have rudimentary fabrication ability.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Safety Dance posted:

In retrospect, that's an excellent question. They obviously own a welder and have rudimentary fabrication ability.

Or more money than they know what to do with and friendly with another idiot with a welder

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Salami Surgeon posted:

This is probably why he made it. Trying to solve the problem of trailer sway without at all understand trailers or towing.

i assumed it was made this way to make backing up super easy

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

I don't give that many fucks, but why the gently caress is it so fuckin wide to tow what would appear to be one motorcycle?

my only thought is possibly for filming? Bike in the middle and equipment/cameras/people to the sides? Which might also explain why it is the way it is and shouldn't ever be driven on public roads?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Claimed there was roadworks going on, transmission caught a piece of asphalt sticking up.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Powershift posted:

Claimed there was roadworks going on, transmission caught a piece of asphalt sticking up.

In modern Russia asphalt takes the bus(out).

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

In modern Russia asphalt takes the bus(out).
And in Pittsburgh.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Re: epoxy failure in motors, I’m told the reason my Zero is speed limited at 103mph is because any faster and the epoxy will start to melt and the IPM motor will do exactly what you’ve found, except on the road at speed. The motorcycle has no transmission (unless you count the belt between motor and sprocket) so the math between road speed and motor speed is straightforward and absolute.

Re: trailers, we have a very successful trailer dealer on the other end of my neighborhood, to the extent that I see their sticker on trailers on roads all over the state. Growing up I didn’t realize there were professional trailer makers and dealers, I just thought it was whatever your slightly odd friend of a friend could weld together.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Imagine standing back and going "yes, this is correct and good. I have made the right choices."

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Clearly the trailer needs some rimmmzzzz too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

You think they own it or are just Carolina squatting?