Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Or in the far future. Telling stories of "a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away" all got jumbled up. A bit like all the alternative versions of Odin in Norse mythology or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I appreciate that Abel Peña took it as his own personal quest to rehabilitate/reference Jedi Prince as much as he could in his works. Like this is one of those things that a lot of people who don't like the EU poo poo on it for, but I personally love that every single goddamn thing, no matter how obscure, irrelevant, or goofy it was, could be part of the same canon. "Dark Greetings" and Traitor sat side by side in the same universe. Darth Bane and a crying mountain were equally canon. The most comprehensive story of the theft of the Death Star plans came from an obscure British choose your own adventure book (also referenced by Peña!).

Wait, what? I need to know more about this.

yeah i love how all these factions get tied together, like 3 eyes is a dupe for the moffs to gently caress over isard and also a cats paw for reborn sheev so he could collect sith poo poo and buy time.

Robot Style posted:

Speaking of Dark Forces, it's interesting too see how many "Kyle Katarn, but not quite" guys have shown up in the new canon, without Kyle himself existing.

You've got a Stormtrooper who ends up joining the good guys and eventually tapping into the Force.

You've got a Bryar wielding mercenary who ends up getting tangled up with the Rebellion and stealing the Death Star plans.

You've got a blaster & lightsaber wielding videogame protagonist who's second game takes him to a city planet, a frontier colony, and a desert world dotted with ancient ruins as he searches for a lost planet from Jedi history.

And you've got a Jedi with a penchant for shoulder pads and a hotshot pilot girlfriend voiced by Vanessa Marshall, who ends up helping to train the next generation of Jedi.

As much as it would be cool to see him brought into canon himself, there's not really anything that would make him unique so I don't really see it happening in any meaningful way. Or maybe Kyle Katarn is just a mythical figure within the universe as well - one that arose from drunken cantina patrons misremembering the names of Cassian, Cal, and Kanan, and attributing the secondhand tales of their adventures to one guy.

you can litterally just dress cal as kyle out of jedi outcast in jedi survivor also i am still pissed how dirty they did Finn.

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Battle of Toprawa version was the first one, it goes all the way back to Brian Daley's radio drama in 1981. Dark Forces was probably the first one most people were exposed to, though; other than the aforementioned choose your own adventure book (Jedi Dawn), the Toprawa version largely lurked as a background detail for a while, popping up in WEG a few times. It shows up in some of the late Bantam books more as a part of Tyria's backstory in Wraith Squadron and the battle actually being shown in the Han Solo Trilogy (Bria Tharen is part of it).

i always liked that and why i never minded the ending of rogue one. the movie makes it clear that vader and leia both know that the empire caught them red handed but leia is basically trying to bullshit as long as possible to buy time for the plans to get to the rebels. the movie just makes it more explicit.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i always liked that and why i never minded the ending of rogue one. the movie makes it clear that vader and leia both know that the empire caught them red handed but leia is basically trying to bullshit as long as possible to buy time for the plans to get to the rebels. the movie just makes it more explicit.

Yeah people complained about that but I absolutely love how brazen it makes Leia.

"I don't respect or fear you enough to bother making up a plausible lie, but you have to deal with me anyway. What the gently caress are you going to do about it, rattletrap?"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I like that idea the Leia has been doing this sort of thing for a couple years, running ops for the Rebellion under the auspices of DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY, and after her cover is blown in ANH she has to resort to more Hitman-style stealing-people's-outfits-shenanigans, culminating with her biting off more than she can chew in ROTJ. She should have just thrown a credit chip in the corner and dropped the chandelier on Jabba when he crawled over to pick it up instead of going for one of the scripted assassinations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

I like that idea the Leia has been doing this sort of thing for a couple years, running ops for the Rebellion under the auspices of DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY, and after her cover is blown in ANH she has to resort to more Hitman-style stealing-people's-outfits-shenanigans, culminating with her biting off more than she can chew in ROTJ. She should have just thrown a credit chip in the corner and dropped the chandelier on Jabba when he crawled over to pick it up instead of going for one of the scripted assassinations.

Look, if you buy the premium Boushh DLC cosmetic you want to use it, okay?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

When Vader is interrogating the rebel officer who is denying all involvement at the start of ANH the dude isn't being lifted into the air, he's just being supported by his enormous balls.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Okay sorry if this has been asked but this thread is very long so: is the Courtship of Princess Leia worth reading? I just finished Solo Command and Zsinj is a lot of fun in that so if that storyline is worth finishing I definitely will.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's fine at best? Courtship Zsinj is also nothing like the wraith squadron version, and I always thought it was weird that they even bothered sticking that "if you liked this it's continued in courtship!" blurb in at the end of solo command.

I think the only real reason to read courtship at this point is if you are at all interested in the dathomir nightsisters and/or hapes stuff, which ends up being relevant in a lot of other old EU content

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah people complained about that but I absolutely love how brazen it makes Leia.

"I don't respect or fear you enough to bother making up a plausible lie, but you have to deal with me anyway. What the gently caress are you going to do about it, rattletrap?"

this. the empire has sorta been operating mask on until the death star is complete, now so they still have to sorta do the legal dance with a senators kid who they know is in deep with the rebels but they can't just kill them because to high profile. but now they finally caught her at the scene of the crime with ton of her dead crew, and she is still saying "no diplomatic immunity" and they have to play along until sheeve makes the senate go away.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

astr0man posted:

It's fine at best? Courtship Zsinj is also nothing like the wraith squadron version, and I always thought it was weird that they even bothered sticking that "if you liked this it's continued in courtship!" blurb in at the end of solo command.

I don't even recall Zsinj being in Courtship very much, but it's been ages since I've read it admittedly. More that he's just this sort of overall threat thanks to his Super Star Destroyer in orbit.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Well that's disappointing though not terribly surprising. Zsinj and Melvar were both enjoyable characters, I liked how shamelessly overdramatic they are while still being a viable threat. It's a shame they don't end up going anywhere interesting.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, Zsinj is basically just a name and not really developed at all in Courtship from my memory. I think he shows up all of 2-3 times in the whole book. Everything interesting about him was Allston going back a few years later when he did the Wraith books and tying together some references from the Stackpole books* and what was said in Courtship.

*Phone posting at the moment, but I can’t remember if Courtship predates the first four X-wing books or not. I’m pretty sure it does. Courtship starts with Han’s fleet returning from spending months chasing Zsinj around and seemingly having defeated him, while one of Stackpole’s books (I think the end of third one, before Bacta War) at one point mentions Han being put in charge of a fleet to go after Zsinj following some attacks on New Republic bases. Allston basically tied those almost throwaway lines together.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Courtship of Princess Leia was released in ‘94, about a year after The Last Command. So the it’s very early EU. The first X-Wing book didn’t come out until ‘96, and Allston didn’t release his first book until ‘98.

So Stackpole and Allston fleshed out a character that Wolverton didn’t really put any effort into. He’s in the background of the first four book, but Wraith Squadron is where he really becomes a character.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Allston version of Zsinj is a really interesting character and I wish they'd pluck him as a modern antagonist instead of Thrawn, honestly. I love the idea of this goofy looking guy leaning into how goofy he looks in order to distract from what he's actually doing. Unlike Thrawn, who is very much trying to remake the Empire as a strictly secular, navy-focused institution, Zsinj is leveraging his remaining power to build up a financial empire probably capable of surviving in a post-Empire world. Shame he got blowed up.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yeah, he absolutely should've been part of the Mofference from Mando S3

That really is a top-notch design

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Rochallor posted:

I love the idea of this goofy looking guy leaning into how goofy he looks in order to distract from what he's actually doing.

This aspect is fantastic, but especially in contrast to Isard. So much of the stuff about her (at least in Stackpole's books, not sure if/where else she shows up) is all "ohhhh she's so scary she's got a weird red eye like FIRE and she's EVIL" and then Zsinj shows up and is also described as scary but then it turns out that's just a silly little costume he puts on because people expect him to be. It's just such a fun idea.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Mama."
―Zsinj's first and last word

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I don't even recall Zsinj being in Courtship very much, but it's been ages since I've read it admittedly. More that he's just this sort of overall threat thanks to his Super Star Destroyer in orbit.

IIRC the book starts with Solo's expedition returning to Coruscant and going to battle stations because the first thing they see is an ISD. Turns out the ISD is there as a gift from Hapes as part of the alliance going on. Then any mention of Zsinj is thrown in as background until literally the last minute (his troops are on Dathomir though) when Han kills him with the one liner of "Kiss My Wookie" which had been a plot point for... some reason.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The full Ahsoka trailer is out. Aside from a full view of Elon Musk Thrawn, one other EU element present: an E-wing in it, which was cool to see in live-action. It was always one of my favorite EU fighter designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1EXWNETiI

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Chairman Capone posted:

The full Ahsoka trailer is out. Aside from a full view of Elon Musk Thrawn, one other EU element present: an E-wing in it, which was cool to see in live-action. It was always one of my favorite EU fighter designs.

They even removed the dumb pilot-blinding cockpit-blocking unicorn-looking third cannon :swoon:

One kid at school in the 90s had an E-wing Action Fleet toy and I'm just as jealous now as I was then

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m going to go in as blind as possible. But it would be cool if they’d do an E-Wing Lego set to add to the collection.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

It's dumb but I'm glad Sabine cuts her hair.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
gently caress yes E-wing. Rest of the trailer looks cool but agree that we’re going to need a Lego E-Wing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Casimir Radon posted:

I’m going to go in as blind as possible. But it would be cool if they’d do an E-Wing Lego set to add to the collection.

There basically was one a decade back, labeled as "Jek-14's Stealth Starfighter"

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Love the E-wing. It felt like they ditched it in favor of X-wing variations, although looking at its appearances on Wookieepedia apparently it was all over the NJO. I'm also fond of the A-9, also from Dark Empire:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love the weird poo poo from Starfighter and the sequel, Jedi Starfighter. Give me Dianogas, Morningstars, Daggers, and all the weird one-off ships that random Lok Revenants fly.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Love the E-wing. It felt like they ditched it in favor of X-wing variations, although looking at its appearances on Wookieepedia apparently it was all over the NJO. I'm also fond of the A-9, also from Dark Empire:

Lucasfilm or Del Rey or someone should have employed a dedicated Space Ship Diversity Editor to go through every upcoming book release and change almost every instance of X-wing or Star Destroyer with something more interesting from elsewhere in the canon. It annoys me to no end that a huge part of the Black Fleet trilogy was the NR upgrading its capital ships across the board and then literally every single book after that forgot it existed.

Troy Denning was particularly bad at this iirc. Allston and Stackpole were pretty cool though, unsurprisingly

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
For some reason any mention of the E-Wing always makes me remember there was at least one old book (I feel like it's Black Fleet Crisis?) where Luke goes off on a weird tangent about how much he doesn't like them, basically doing the Obi-wan lightsabers versus blasters bit except for fighters

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
kind of weird seeing a mural of the characters looking exactly like they did in the cartoon in the middle of a bunch of live action scenes

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I love the E-wing but it's very funny to me to pronounce it "Ewing"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ewing McGregor.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Patrick E-wing

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Seemlar posted:

For some reason any mention of the E-Wing always makes me remember there was at least one old book (I feel like it's Black Fleet Crisis?) where Luke goes off on a weird tangent about how much he doesn't like them, basically doing the Obi-wan lightsabers versus blasters bit except for fighters

It's kinda funny how the fictional history of the E-Wing wound up predicting the IRL history of the F-22 -- an uber-elite air supremacy fighter that was intended to completely replace its predecessor F-15C/X-Wing in the same role, but had enough teething issues and cost overruns that it wound up serving in fairly small numbers alongside upgraded XJ/F-15EX models instead

General Battuta posted:

I love the E-wing but it's very funny to me to pronounce it "Ewing"

Reverse for me, my baby geek rear end thought that dude in Space Jam was pronounced like my favorite toy spaceship

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think the ship designs in the Disney movies have been pretty lackluster, but I do think they have better success with starfighters than capital ships, especially like the U-wing from Rogue One and the Resistance bomber from TLJ.

I might be misremembering but I think one of the art books for the Disney movies briefly mentioned that a K-wing was considered at one point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The quadjumper (which shows up briefly in TFA and a little more in Andor) is fine too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's instructive to look through the art book for TFA because a lot of the early art in there is pie-in-the-sky brainstorming for designs and they come with some really out-there, original concepts for capital ships, starfighters, stormtroopers, Kylo Ren, Luke, etc. And each time they basically end up using the most boring, safest, OT-evocative design. It's not that the art teams on the Disney movies weren't creative, it's just that Abrams and Kennedy turned down all their original ideas.

Like, we could have had insectoid stormtroopers and red bulbous First Order capital ships, and a bald Luke with a Jedi symbol tattoo on his forehead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The quadjumper (which shows up briefly in TFA and a little more in Andor) is fine too.

Where's the "Tales From" story that will explain how the Quadjumper from Narkina 5 eventually ended up in a Jakku junkyard?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Arc Hammer posted:

Where's the "Tales From" story that will explain how the Quadjumper from Narkina 5 eventually ended up in a Jakku junkyard?

When we get “Andor/Rogue One: From a Certain Point of View”, which I will read.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chairman Capone posted:

I think the ship designs in the Disney movies have been pretty lackluster, but I do think they have better success with starfighters than capital ships, especially like the U-wing from Rogue One and the Resistance bomber from TLJ.

I might be misremembering but I think one of the art books for the Disney movies briefly mentioned that a K-wing was considered at one point.
A lot of the capital ships in TLJ look pretty good, but they suffer from being ridiculously huge for no real reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

My favorite is the stupid superlaser ISD from Rise of Skywalker, which is completely identical in every single way to the OT version except for the dumb penis laser and that fact that, for some absolutely inexplicable reason, it's like 2.5x the volume.

I like to imagine that every single facet is the same as the ISD 1 but scaled up, so you've got crewmembers balancing themselves on the edges of giant-sized toilets and using their fists to slam dinner plate-sized keyboard keys one at a time