Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
A dumbass in my bar league showed up for the live draft at the bar having done mushrooms beforehand

“Dave! It’s your turn!”

“Who’s still available?”

“The spreadsheet is on the loving TV screen you’re staring at!”

Over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cat Hassler posted:

A dumbass in my bar league showed up for the live draft at the bar having done mushrooms beforehand

“Dave! It’s your turn!”

“Who’s still available?”

Over and over

We always force our Dave to take Justin Tucker after he loses touch with reality, then auto draft the rest of the way. He inevitably passes out in like the 5th round after intentionally drafting all Dallas Cowboys.

He has won the payout for highest regular season total multiple times

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cat Hassler posted:

“Dave! It’s your turn!”

“Who’s still available?”

Over and over
One of the redraft leagues I'm in has that guy, but he's not high. He'll try to take people that were picked like 4 rounds ago. "No Dave, Justin Jefferson was taken in the first round, you cant pick him in the 6th".

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 11, 2023

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I am in a league with a bunch of old guys (70s and 80s), and pretty much every year someone will ask if a consensus first round pick is still available in the 11th round or so. Tyler Boyd gets drafted, next pick: "Hey, is Christian McCaffery still available?".

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The first time it happens you laugh.

The ninth time it happens you grit your teeth.

The fifteenth time it happens you say “Why the hell aren’t you keeping up with the picks?????”

Which is one of the reasons we’re having to implement a timer.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love when it happens in auction drafts. No better feeling than seeing somebody with an exorbitant amount of money left when the highest-valued player left on your own personal list doesn't break double-digits and knowing that they're about to smugly drop a name that has been gone for hours

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Any superflex dynasty rookie draft favorites in the 2.02 pick range? Went Richardson at 1.02. Thinking Miller, La Porta, or Mingo in that order at this point.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My league does it at the bar. If you try to draft someone who’s already been drafted you have to buy a round of apple pie shots

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Game-Blouses posted:

Any superflex dynasty rookie draft favorites in the 2.02 pick range? Went Richardson at 1.02. Thinking Miller, La Porta, or Mingo in that order at this point.

I like LePorta but if you're a superflex is Hendon Hooker available?

2.02 seems high but you could have a starting QB in two years

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I just went back and checked my rookie draft. Levis went at 2.02 followed by Mingo, LaPorta, Hooker, and Mayer. Levis is the only one of those guys I don't like, I think any of the others would be good choices at 2.02.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's rounds 2 and 3 from my dynasty superflex rookie draft. Levis went in round 1 which already seems like a big mistake

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A little surprised to see JSN fell into the 2nd in a rookie draft. Were people so thirsty for QBs they were taking like Stetson Bennett?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's round 1

we start two QBs so yeah reaching for a precious QB is way more important than a slot receiver. I traded all over the place and drafted 2 and 3 and landed Richardson and Gibbs and I feel like I won the first round.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I drafted Young at 3 in my superflex league. I ended up trading him with 2 1sts and a 2nd for Herbert and Mike Williams. I trust that Young's brain is elite, but I just can't put my faith in a player who looks like a child on the field. My window is pretty much this year and next year, after that it's going to be a rough rebuild for me.

About half of us in that league are doing another SF dynasty league. We're doing the startup draft in about a week. I'm picking 11th and I'm not liking the QB options there. I'm probably going to end up reaching for my QBs a little ahead of their ADP. Even if the rest of my team isn't great, I at least want to make sure I have depth at QB.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Have you considered auction instead? That way random draft order doesn’t dictate who gets the QBs…

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

I'm definitely coming around to "dynasty startup drafts should be auctions"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

I'm definitely coming around to "dynasty startup drafts should be auctions"

All drafts should be auctions

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
We're doing a 3rd round reversal where the draft doesn't snake after the 2nd round. It's not going to help me with the QB situation since all the good ones will be gone, but I'll have picks 1.11, 2.02, and 3.02. Even if my QBs are weaker, I should be happy with whoever I take with my first few picks.

Auction draft would be better for the league, but I don't think it was ever discussed. Now that everyone is older, it's more difficult to coordinate a draft time between everyone's jobs/families/personal poo poo. It's much more practical to do a slow draft, and if it takes a week to complete the draft so be it. If I'm in the clock while I'm at work, it's no big deal to wait a few hours and make my pick while I'm on my lunch break or when I get home, no pressure.

Auction drafts are definitely better and more exciting. But this is a 30 round draft we're doing, I'm absolutely cool with a slow snake draft that won't interfere with my personal life.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

All drafts should be auctions

Not keeper ones. I will never let go of my "keep Justin Jefferson for a 6th round pick" darling baby draft

Also trades involving draft picks are way more fun with snakes on redraft. Not talking dynasty here

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that situation translates to keeping justin jefferson for $2 salary or something like that instead

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I feel like keeper translates fine to auction, just keep adding $10 or something to the price every year

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

that situation translates to keeping justin jefferson for $2 salary or something like that instead

and that is not nearly as fun as announcing in the sixth round Justin Jefferson read it and weep, fuckos

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
2.01 is on the clock, so I’m up next at 2.02. The following are still on the board: Achane, Mayer, LaPorta, Mingo, Rice, Levis, Hooker, and all the other usual suspects. I assume Achance will be taken, so narrowing in on LaPorta…

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

La Porta is a beast.

Rice went early in our second round since there are a lot of Chiefs fans in the league.

I'm jealous I didn't get him though, I think by his second year he'll be a badass. Lots of details about him that didn't really get out and the Chiefs liked him so much after his offseason training with Mahomes that they traded up for him when there seemed to be no other demand for him. He's much faster than his 40.

If the Chiefs get Deandre Hopkins that does complicate things since Rice kind of looks like a Hopkins clone

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Not sure what to make of Hopkins on the Titans. Like he’s instantly their WR1 by a million miles but if he’s getting 5 Ryan Tannehilll or Will Levis targets per game do I even care.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Will Levis is third on the depth chart. Forget about him.

The Titans will run the ball and Tannehill will get sacked every time they try to do otherwise.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you replace Levis with Willis it’s not meaningfully better they both suck rear end

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Hopkins has performed well with QBs like Hoyer or a half season of Tom Savage before Watson took over. I think his play style is fairly well suited for bad QBs since he tends to get contested short/mid range balls, he does not need a 70 yard bomb to get points. Granted, he was quite a bit younger for the previous performances, but something like AJ Brown's 2020 season of ~ 1000 yards and 11 TDs is doable, if maybe a touch optimistic. I think he could be a fairly high floor WR2.

I have him as a potential late keeper, but have a conflict so I cannot keep him. I don't think he will be tradable going to Tenn.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 17, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MakaVillian posted:

In my 0.5 PPR (TE premium) superflex dynasty league was offered the following

Give:
Miles Sanders
2025 3rd round pick

Get:
Isiah Pacheco
MVS

Now I have little to no interest in MVS but i'm thinking of countering with asking him for Pacheco and Gerald Everett, as my only TE right now is Cole Kmet. I'm obviously giving up the best asset in Sanders but i'm not going to be competing for the next year at least so getting a little younger with an RB who's on a better offence (and who can catch maybe?) seems interesting. Worth noting I currently roster Mahomes and McKinnon so I'd have a lot of Chiefs stock.

Thanks for everyone's help all the time even though I don't contribute as much as I should.

I'm glad this trade fell through for you

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/isiah-pacheco-may-be-added-to-chiefs-pup-list

quote:

Isiah Pacheco may be added to Chiefs PUP list

edit: hoping he would be off by the time the season started.

If a player is still on the list at the beginning of the season, they have to remain there for four weeks. This means they cannot practice or play during the first four weeks.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 18, 2023

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Whew

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Docjowles posted:

If you replace Levis with Willis it’s not meaningfully better they both suck rear end

I've got bad late stage Julio Jones and Andre Johnson vibes going on here with Hopkins to TEN.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

EconDad posted:

I've got bad late stage Julio Jones and Andre Johnson vibes going on here with Hopkins to TEN.

Yeah me too

Hope I’m wrong but I’m not optimistic about DHop producing like he used to

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah Tennessee is Chicago Jr. in terms of WRs ending up done.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don’t follow Chris Harris anymore for fantasy rankings but I guarantee he has Nuk several rounds ahead of ADP. Dude is so horny for old / injured / suspended / holdout / used-to-be players.

Personally I want no part of Hopkins unless he is free falling in my draft like 2+ rounds. He’s still an incredible player but his ceiling is mega capped on the Titans.

I’ve spent a lot of years taking boring vets for their floor and it turns out nobody cares if you’re the third best team. I need upside.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38037217/saquon-barkley-mulls-sitting-season-says-to

it begins :munch:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So much for Pacheco's PUP list. Not sure what Reid was hoping to accomplish there. Pacheco out there running around like a madman per usual

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This reminds me I also drafted Bell the time he sat out an entire year on Harris' advice :lol: Nobody but myself to blame for actually pulling the trigger, and to be fair I think basically everyone on earth thought he would play eventually, but that was a good lesson in risk analysis

kiimo posted:

So much for Pacheco's PUP list. Not sure what Reid was hoping to accomplish there. Pacheco out there running around like a madman per usual

gave best ball sickos a heart attack I'm sure :v:

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm doing a 12 team SF dynasty startup draft tomorrow. I have the 11th pick and don't know who to take. Any advice would be appreciated. I assume the top 10 is going to be close to some order of:

1. Mahomes
2. Allen
3. Hurts
4. Burrow
5. Herbert
6. Jackson
7. Jefferson
8. Lawrence
9. Fields
10. Chase

After that I think there's a drop off. I hate the idea of taking a RB first, but Bijan is probably the best player available there. I could probably trade up into the top 5 but I'm not sure if it would be worth the draft capital it would cost me to do so. It looks like I'll be trying to build a team without an elite QB, so I think I'm going to prioritize youth by taking guys like Young and/or Stroud and hope they pan out. Developing a draft strategy would be much easier for me if I wasn't picking so late.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Do you have a third round reversal? If so I might consider doing something like AR 1.11, AJB or GW 2.02 and Murray 3.02. Basically punt a season for the potential to be a beast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hi fantasy football thread, I do not follow the NFL at all (college guy) but I’m tired of being the only person in my social circle who doesn’t play fantasy football so I’m diving in this year. I see a bunch of resources in the OP, I will take a look at those but wanted to ask:

What is one (or two, or whatever) piece of advice you’d give a total neophyte for their first draft? Thanks in advance.